» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Thai airport protests called off

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/08 at 7:17 am

Thai anti-government protesters have agreed to end their occupation of Bangkok's airports, allowing thousands of stranded tourists to leave.

Passenger flights from the main international airport are to resume on 4 December, say correspondents.

Protests had shut down Thailand's two main airports for more than a week.

The deal follows a court ruling that forced Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to step down over election fraud and disbanded his governing party.

The constitutional court ordered Mr Somchai's governing People Power Party and two of its coalition partners to disband. The parties' leaders were also barred from politics for five years.

The ruling came after months of protests led by the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) that have crippled the political process in Thailand.

They had vowed to continue their protests until the entire government stepped down.

They accused Mr Somchai's administration of being corrupt and hostile to the much-revered monarchy, and too close to ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Subject: Re: Thai airport protests called off

Written By: philbo on 12/02/08 at 8:56 am

And what has the ruling party done? Say they'll appoint a new PM and carry on with business as usual.  How long before the next stoppage, do you reckon?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/02/08 at 1:54 pm

It's great that protests are called off.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/08 at 2:04 pm

The only drawback is the planes start moving again on the 4th.

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/02/08 at 2:31 pm

I was talking with my sister a few days ago and she says is getting impossible to live there, you never know what's going to happen next... it's total chaos. Hopefully they'll come home for good soon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/08 at 2:34 pm

All this is making me wonder should I go to the Philippines next year?

Check for new replies or respond here...