» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Workers Sit In - Obama Speaks Out

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/08 at 7:25 am

The laid off workers at the Republic Windows and Doors Company are staging a sit in in the hopes that they can get what is rightfully theirs, severance and vacation pay.  The company closed down without notice, but the workers have refused to leave and are now occupying the building.  When I heard about the sit in it was like a ray of sunlight.  To top things off, President-to-be Obama has come out in support of the workers.  There hasn't been any word from the White House(why start supporting workers now?)  The working men and women have never been on their radar screen. 

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-window-factory-sit-in-07dec07,0,667083.story 

Subject: Re: Workers Sit In - Obama Speaks Out

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/08 at 9:53 am

Good for them.  I hope it works for them.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/08/08 at 11:45 am

This is fan-dam-tastic!!  Hopefully workers elsewhere will follow the example.  Shades of the 1930 - at last.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 11:57 am

People can only take so much economic B.S.  I'm fully in support of workers speaking out.

Written By: Jessica on 12/08/08 at 12:54 pm

Latest news on it:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/plant-sit-in-in-4th-day-meeting-scheduled.html

I think it's awesome that the workers are doing this.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/08 at 8:33 pm

I hope it's the beginning of the end of the seduction of labor by capitalist interests that have no intent of honoring the workers.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/09/08 at 7:29 am

I hope it's the beginning of the end of the seduction of labor by capitalist interests that have no intent of honoring the workers.

Nice thought.... doubt it.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/10/08 at 5:57 pm

Well, considering Blagojevich publicly came out in support of these workers right before he got busted, I'd say they will have a tough time separating themselves from his taint.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/10/08 at 6:22 pm

Well, considering Blagojevich publicly came out in support of these workers right before he got busted, I'd say they will have a tough time separating themselves from his taint.

A rational person is not going to blame these workers for him.  Why would you even consider this a problem for them.

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/08 at 6:23 pm

I think they resolved it yesterday or the day before (with BofA saying that they would extend more credit), but it got overshadowed by the other thing that happened in this state. :D

Written By: Macphisto on 12/11/08 at 12:36 am

A rational person is not going to blame these workers for him.  Why would you even consider this a problem for them.

You're assuming most people are rational....

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/08 at 8:22 am

Truth, Justice, and, hopefully, a return to what should be The American Way

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ildwrFjwHYjvJPX2edZgBnNb8EEQD950FBUO1

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/11/08 at 11:39 am

A great conclusion, although I'm sure they would rather have kept their jobs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/08 at 11:34 pm

A great conclusion, although I'm sure they would rather have kept their jobs.

Reagan made his program known when he fired all the PATCO strikers.

Then planes started crashing into bridges, oceans, mountains, and so on...

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/08 at 8:20 am

....and 20 years later the scabs who took the jobs were in the same position of their predecessors and fighting for the same reasons. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/13/08 at 12:57 pm

....and 20 years later the scabs who took the jobs were in the same position of their predecessors and fighting for the same reasons. 

Seems to me that the assault on organized labor never really ended, there were just temporary truces along the way.  The problem goes back to Sam Gompers and "business unionism" which gave up labor's political agenda hoping to reach a permanent accord with capital.  I'm reminded of a passage from Arthur Schlesinger's The Age of Jackson in which he says something like "The feud between Labor and Capital, the house of have and the house of need, can never be completely quieted, but he who will act with moderation, and prefer fact to theory will see that the violence of the contest can be quelled...Jacksonian Democracy was rather a second American phase of that enduring struggle between the business community and the rest of society which is the guarantee of freedom in a liberal capitalist state."  Note that it is the struggle that is the guarantee, not the outcome.  He is saying that if either side wins, freedom loses.  Looks to me like capital has won, which is why we are drifting toward fascism.

Check for new replies or respond here...