» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama invites Rick Warren to give inaugural invocation

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/08 at 10:17 pm

Let the disappointments start to roll....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/18/AR2008121802788.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

I don't like it either.  The chief complaint about Obama's choice is Warren's homophobic doctrine.  Human Rights Watch called it "A genuine blow to the LGBT community."

My own beef with it, aside from the intolerance,  is that Rick Warren is such a cheesy guy.  He reminds me Tony Robbins and that whole "ra-ra-ra!  I'm so positive I could sh*t a crystal unicorn" phony glad-handing industry! 

I like Rev. Lowery, who will deliver the closing, but I'd rather keep religion out of politics altogether, and that includes state ceremonies. 

Subject: Re: Obama invites Rick Warren to give inaugural invocation

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/19/08 at 12:12 am

Let the disappointments start to roll....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/18/AR2008121802788.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

I don't like it either.  The chief complaint about Obama's choice is Warren's homophobic doctrine.  Human Rights Watch called it "A genuine blow to the LGBT community."

My own beef with it, aside from the intolerance,  is that Rick Warren is such a cheesy guy.  He reminds me Tony Robbins and that whole "ra-ra-ra!  I'm so positive I could sh*t a crystal unicorn" phony glad-handing industry! 

I like Rev. Lowery, who will deliver the closing, but I'd rather keep religion out of politics altogether, and that includes state ceremonies. 

Maybe he can have Barney Frank say the closing prayer to balance it all out.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 1:14 am

Maybe he can have Barney Frank say the closing prayer to balance it all out.   ;D

Hey, don't widicule Bawney Fwank, he's my fwiend!
>:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/19/08 at 7:02 am

Hey, don't widicule Bawney Fwank, he's my fwiend!
>:(

Well how about Barney the Dinosaur?  Certainly people could not object to him.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/19/08 at 8:22 am

Well how about Barney the Dinosaur?  Certainly people could not object to him.  :)

I would.  Barney the dinosaur should be locked away, never to be seen again.  I was the mean mom that never let my kid watch Barney and I don't regret it a bit.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/19/08 at 12:04 pm

I won't doubt that Obama will get the book 'Purpose-driven Life'.

Written By: philbo on 12/19/08 at 12:28 pm

I would.  Barney the dinosaur should be locked away, never to be seen again. 

Wasn't he in Guantanamo for a bit?  Maybe Obama should keep X-Ray open with just the one inmate...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/08 at 1:23 pm

Barney gives me the creeps. :-[

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/08 at 1:27 pm

Warren is considered a moderate evangelical (yes, I'm chocking as the words come out)  If Obama is trying to do the old olive branch/can't we all just get along routine Warren is perfect.  Personally I think all prayers should be done by someone without a political agenda.  I think Mennonites are still in that category.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 3:02 pm

Warren is considered a moderate evangelical (yes, I'm chocking as the words come out)  If Obama is trying to do the old olive branch/can't we all just get along routine Warren is perfect.  Personally I think all prayers should be done by someone without a political agenda.  I think Mennonites are still in that category.

I'm just concerned about Obama appointing Dr. Phil as Surgeon-General!
:P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/08 at 6:42 pm

I'm just concerned about Obama appointing Dr. Phil as Surgeon-General!
:P

:o  He's not even an MD.  He's not even reasonable.  He's not even tolerable. 8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 7:32 pm

:o  He's not even an MD.  He's not even reasonable.  He's not even tolerable. 8-P

There's no prerequisite for the surgeon genral to be an M.D.  SG is basically the top public health official. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon_General_of_the_United_States

So Dr. Phil could be Obama's SG.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/19/08 at 7:36 pm

Maybe he can have Barney Frank say the closing prayer to balance it all out.   ;D

Well, hey...  they're both corrupt bastards, so it would work quite well.

Warren is like a sugar-coated version of James Dobson.  I despise Dobson as well, but at least he's more upfront about his insanity.

Either way, this certainly isn't the first time Obama has disappointed me.  His support for the Wall Street bailout was a definite stain upon his credibility (just like his support for the GM bailout).

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/08 at 7:45 pm

There's no prerequisite for the surgeon genral to be an M.D.   SG is basically the top public health official. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon_General_of_the_United_States

So Dr. Phil could be Obama's SG.

Obama's not that stupid, although he seems to be working at his stupidity.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/19/08 at 8:24 pm

His support for the Wall Street bailout was a definite stain upon his credibility .

Well that's progress.  At least we are not talking about a blue dress that is stained.  ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...