» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Countdown to Reality

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/09 at 3:04 pm

The countdown is also on to the reality that shall sink in when Obama takes office.  He does not strike me as somebody who will be a one-dimensional idealogue.  I think that he will indeed take a more or less practical approach to his office.  So we now start the "countdown to reality", where people who have been foaming at the mouth about Obama's presidency will be disappointed to find that he is not the Second coming of the Messiah.  Amongst his positions which will evolve will be:

No support for gay marriage
Fairly positive support for free trade agreements
Slower-than-anticipated disengagement from Iraq
Nads-to-the-wall approach to killing Taliban in both Afghanistan and Pakistan
No gratuitous decisions based on his race and those who think that his presidency will usher in a "Black Bonanza"
Support for faith-based charity initiatives
A Congress controlled by his party but flexes its muscles against him because he will not be a cookie-cutter Dem

What I really am interested in is how many months we have for the "Countdown to Backlash", when people who got in a frenzy over Obama feel like they were snookered.  (Mind you I think Obama ran a fairly honest campaign, but many supporters associated all sort of super powers to him).

Subject: Re: Countdown to Reality

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/09 at 5:12 pm

I think most people are more pragmatic about what Obama can and cannot do, know that it is going to be a tough road, and that Obama is not going to take us into Eden.  I think the celebrations you see are just letting off steam after the last dismal eight years.  Of course you will always get professional whiners who will never be happy, but the majority or the people are just enjoying the party, and a hell of a time it is  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/09 at 2:01 am

The countdown is also on to the reality that shall sink in when Obama takes office.  He does not strike me as somebody who will be a one-dimensional idealogue.  I think that he will indeed take a more or less practical approach to his office.  So we now start the "countdown to reality", where people who have been foaming at the mouth about Obama's presidency will be disappointed to find that he is not the Second coming of the Messiah.  Amongst his positions which will evolve will be:

No support for gay marriage
Fairly positive support for free trade agreements
Slower-than-anticipated disengagement from Iraq
Nads-to-the-wall approach to killing Taliban in both Afghanistan and Pakistan
No gratuitous decisions based on his race and those who think that his presidency will usher in a "Black Bonanza"
Support for faith-based charity initiatives
A Congress controlled by his party but flexes its muscles against him because he will not be a cookie-cutter Dem

What I really am interested in is how many months we have for the "Countdown to Backlash", when people who got in a frenzy over Obama feel like they were snookered.  (Mind you I think Obama ran a fairly honest campaign, but many supporters associated all sort of super powers to him).

I see the same list, but from my side, I call it the "Countdown to Whining."
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/09 at 7:08 am

I see the same list, but from my side, I call it the "Countdown to Whining."

Yep.  I wonder if Richard Gere and Barbra Streisand will decide to leave the United States when they find out that many of Obama's social policies are what we might characterize as "conservative".  Oh, the horror!  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/12/09 at 2:01 pm

LB, I agree. I voted for Obama so I can see a Democrat fudge things up for awhile.

If I was a Bush-basher, I would not say "Bush is the worst President that America has and will ever have", I'd be like "Bush is the worst President thus far". Meaning, his reign as crappy leader may be toppled or I have historians take care of him, maybe rip Bush another asshole.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/09 at 3:51 pm

Yep.  I wonder if Richard Gere and Barbra Streisand will decide to leave the United States when they find out that many of Obama's social policies are what we might characterize as "conservative".  Oh, the horror!  ;D

If Richard Gere, Barbara Streisand, George Clooney, and Alec Baldwin left the country what difference would it make and would anybody care? 

Right.

That's why they're still here.  Besides, California is a suweeet place to be rich and famous!

Check for new replies or respond here...