» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Joe the Dumber

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/09 at 11:24 pm

OK, I should know better, but this one really grinds my gears!  The big dumb guy who plays linebacker, volunteers as hall monitor, and tells on us when we come in late, is now out there telling journalists they ain't got no business covering wars! 

What is he?  The Marty Moose of he GOP?

I mean, listen to this idiot, he can hardly speak coherently!  You can see all the Indians watching in Mumbai bars saying, "No wonder we kick their asses in engineering!"
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlst03I3lk

Subject: Re: Joe the Dumber

Written By: Jessica on 01/15/09 at 11:29 pm

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/political-pictures-15-minutes-fame.jpg

Written By: Silver Power on 01/15/09 at 11:33 pm

OK, I should know better, but this one really grinds my gears!  The big dumb guy who plays linebacker, volunteers as hall monitor, and tells on us when we come in late, is now out there telling journalists they ain't got no business covering wars! 

What is he?  The Marty Moose of he GOP?

I mean, listen to this idiot, he can hardly speak coherently!  You can see all the Indians watching in Mumbai bars saying, "No wonder we kick their asses in engineering!"
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlst03I3lk

I have to somewhat disagree. From how I took it, he said "Media talks about the atrocities of war, when they don't know the full story", meaning, I believe, he was saying that the media shouldn't report war because they don't now the half of what it's like to be at war. They explain whats happening, but they aren't living it, the soldiers are. IMO, if I were a soldier going through hell, I wouldn't want anyone else to have to see what I'm seeing.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 7:00 am

I have to somewhat disagree. From how I took it, he said "Media talks about the atrocities of war, when they don't know the full story", meaning, I believe, he was saying that the media shouldn't report war because they don't now the half of what it's like to be at war.

And he does?

He's a screaming idiot.  Sounds to me like he is all for suspending freedom of the press. 

Written By: Tia on 01/16/09 at 11:24 am

I have to somewhat disagree. From how I took it, he said "Media talks about the atrocities of war, when they don't know the full story", meaning, I believe, he was saying that the media shouldn't report war because they don't now the half of what it's like to be at war. They explain whats happening, but they aren't living it, the soldiers are. IMO, if I were a soldier going through hell, I wouldn't want anyone else to have to see what I'm seeing.
41 journalists died covering war in 2008. 2 died so far this year. only difference between journalists and soldiers is the journalists aren't allowed to defend themselves.

and i forget who pointed this out: he was a plumber who was never really a plumber; now he's a "war correspondent" who isn't a real reporter; and to top it off, his name isn't even "joe." ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 11:29 am

41 journalists died covering war in 2008. 2 died so far this year. only difference between journalists and soldiers is the journalists aren't allowed to defend themselves.

and i forget who pointed this out: he was a plumber who was never really a plumber; now he's a "war correspondent" who isn't a real reporter; and to top it off, his name isn't even "joe." ;D

He should be called Joe the Nothin',  because so far that is all he has shown....nothin'

Oh, yeah, he was also a proud single father who spent alot of money getting custody of his son.  We should presume he felt the best place for his son was with him...until now?  Where's the kid?

Written By: Tia on 01/16/09 at 11:37 am

you know i think i'd rather see ashley todd back in the news than joe-the-guy-actually-named-sam. she'd rule on some reality t.v. show or as a guest on "jerry springer" or something, or to promote the grand opening of a hip manhattan club called "the backwards B." i just wanted some kind of public statement from her. i don't think there ever was one. she totally brought The Crazy in a way joe-the-shlubbmeister could only dream.

Written By: Tia on 01/16/09 at 11:38 am

or judge judy. i'd spend hours watching judge judy bitch out ashley todd. that would be some red-meat television, right there.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 11:54 am

It is my understanding that Ash suffered from mental illness well before the incident in question,  as despicable as her act was, she is certifiable and as far as I am concerned the media should have left that story alone from the start. 

Joe, on the other hand, is an idiot, being passed off as everyman.  He is far from that.

Written By: Tia on 01/16/09 at 12:02 pm

It is my understanding that Ash suffered from mental illness well before the incident in question,  as despicable as her act was, she is certifiable and as far as I am concerned the media should have left that story alone from the start. 

Joe, on the other hand, is an idiot, being passed off as everyman.  He is far from that.
yeah, i think it went around only because for a quick moment enough people thought it was true that it got media attention. apparently the police never really believed it but waited until they were done investigating to poo poo it.

anyway, i know it's morbid but i'm much more curious what makes her tick than joe the plumber. he's just stupid. she actually might be evil.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/16/09 at 12:11 pm

As far as I'm concerned, "Joe" isn't worth the time it takes to type this, so why bother.  Ignore the fool and he'll go away.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 12:17 pm

yeah, i think it went around only because for a quick moment enough people thought it was true that it got media attention. apparently the police never really believed it but waited until they were done investigating to poo poo it.

anyway, i know it's morbid but i'm much more curious what makes her tick than joe the plumber. he's just stupid. she actually might be evil.

She is crazy, he is an idiot, his handlers...they are the evil ones

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/09 at 7:03 pm

And he does?

He's a screaming idiot.  Sounds to me like he is all for suspending freedom of the press. 

Exactly.  He's the kind of bone-stupid thug with a hard-on for authoritarianism that fascist regimes love to pieces!  Unfortunately for Joe, McCain/Palin lost.
::)

Written By: Silver Power on 01/17/09 at 11:15 am

And he does?

Well, obviously, he's a hypocrite. He's also not that smart, and if his name's not Joe, to hell with him. But How many news reporters get Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?

:-*( ( )

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/17/09 at 11:37 am

The first time he sees real action he's going to beg to come home.  Is he going to be working for Fox Noise? ::)  Working for McCain does not give you credentials to be in a war zone.  Typical Republican GI-Joe wannabe. 8-P

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/09 at 11:39 am

Well, obviously, he's a hypocrite. He's also not that smart, and if his name's not Joe, to hell with him. But How many news reporters get Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?

:-*( ( )

Ever heard of Ernie Pyle?  Famous war correspondent during WWII.  Didn't get PTSB. He died before that could happen

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22980127/

Sean Flynn, son of Errol Flynn, was a war photographer.  He didn't get PTSB.  He was in Viet Nam, captured in Cambodia, never heard from again.

Those are two of the most famous.  Hundreds have been killed, and/or wounded, bear in mind that not all war correspondents are American.  Not a far stretch to say there are many with PTSB.

pucker up

Written By: Silver Power on 01/17/09 at 12:40 pm

Ever heard of Ernie Pyle?  Famous war correspondent during WWII.  Didn't get PTSB. He died before that could happen

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22980127/

Sean Flynn, son of Errol Flynn, was a war photographer.  He didn't get PTSB.  He was in Viet Nam, captured in Cambodia, never heard from again.

Those are two of the most famous.  Hundreds have been killed, and/or wounded, bear in mind that not all war correspondents are American.  Not a far stretch to say there are many with PTSB.

pucker up

I asked for reporters that DID get PSTD. That's common from coming back from war for soldiers.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/09 at 4:08 pm

I asked for reporters that DID get PSTD. That's common from coming back from war for soldiers.

Oh, I thought dying would be more than enough. I dare say Bob Woodruff would fill the PTSB bill.

Psychiatric News

Psychiatric News October 4, 2002
Volume 37 Number 19
© 2002 American Psychiatric Association
p. 22
Clinical & Research News
War Correspondents Suffer Serious MH Fallout
Joan Arehart-Treichel

Researchers have completed what may be the first scientific study of how covering a war affects journalists’ psyches. The findings are sobering.

Although working as a war correspondent can be extremely dangerous, as the case of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl earlier this year attests, and the physical danger in turn places great stress on the psyche, it appears that no research has been done on the psychological health of war reporters.

So Anthony Feinstein, M.D., Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Toronto, and his coworkers decided to explore that issue, especially as more and more research is being conducted on the psychological impact of war on soldiers and civilians.

The results of their investigation, which appear in the September American Journal of Psychiatry, are hardly surprising: War correspondents are at high risk for alcohol abuse, major depression, and posttraumatic stress disorder.

First they approached six major news organizations—CNN, BBC, Reuters, CBC, Associated Press, ITN (Independent Television News), and the Rory Peck Trust (an organization representing freelance journalists)—and explained the purpose of their study. All agreed to participate and provided them with the names, work addresses, and e-mail addresses of 170 war correspondents.

These men and women were among the most experienced and respected correspondents. They had been reporting wars, on average, for 15 years. They had been shot at and wounded. They had survived plane crashes. They had lost close colleagues. They had even had bounties placed on their heads and been subjected to mock executions.

Feinstein and his colleagues then sent a questionnaire to each of these correspondents to obtain information about their alcohol and illicit drug use and past and present psychological states. The questionnaire included the 28-item General Health Questionnaire, which contains four subscales, each with seven questions, describing symptoms of somatic complaints, anxiety, social dysfunction, and depression; the Beck Depression Inventory, which contains 21 mood-related questions; and the Impact of Event Scale—Revised, which consists of 22 questions that closely follow DSM-IV criteria for posttraumatic stress disorder.

One journalist was murdered before the questionnaire reached him, thereby reducing the number of potential subjects to 169. Of these, 140 (83 percent) returned completed questionnaires.

Feinstein and his coworkers then approached 134 domestic journalists who were comparable to the war journalists in age, gender, and years of journalistic experience to learn whether they would be willing to serve as controls. One hundred and seven (80 percent) said yes, and each of these journalists filled out the same questionnaire that had been sent to the war journalists.

Then came the second, more challenging phase of the study—personal interviews with 28 (20 percent) of the war journalists. These 28 had been picked randomly, and the interviews took place over a period of several months in cities as far flung as New York, London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, and Johannesburg. The interview instrument that was used was the Structured Clinical Interview for Axis I DSM-IV Disorders (SCID). It indicated whether the subjects had ever had a major depression or currently had one, and whether they had ever had posttraumatic stress disorder or currently had it.

Nineteen (18 percent) of the domestic journalists were also randomly selected to take a SCID interview, and these interviews were conducted either face to face or by telephone.

Feinstein and his colleagues then analyzed the results from phase one of the study and compared results for the war correspondents with those for the domestic journalists.

One unit of alcohol was defined as a regular-size bottle of beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of spirits.

The average weekly alcohol consumption levels for the war-correspondents group, 15 units for men and 11 for women, was two and three times those of the domestic journalist group, respectively. With 14 units of alcohol per week considered the upper limit of acceptable drinking for men, 45 war correspondents, compared with only 13 domestic journalists, were drinking excessively—a highly significant difference statistically. The war correspondents also had significantly higher scores on the Beck Depression Inventory, and this difference was confirmed by the scores on the General Health Questionnaire’s depression subscale. As for PTSD symptoms, such as intrusive thoughts and images of traumatic events, 20 war correspondents (16 percent) had them, whereas only nine (10 percent) of the controls did, also a highly significant difference.

The researchers then analyzed the results from phase two of the study and compared results for the war correspondents with those for the controls. Six of the war group (21 percent) had experienced a major depression at some point in their lives, and two of that group (7 percent) currently were experiencing one. In contrast, only one journalist in the control group had ever had a major depression, and it had taken place before he had become a journalist. As for PTSD, eight of the war group (29 percent) had the disorder at some point in their lives, and three (11 percent) currently did. None of the domestic journalists indicated past or current PTSD.

Thus, it appears that war journalists are at high risk for alcohol abuse, major depression, and PTSD, Feinstein and his coworkers concluded. In fact, war journalists’ "lifetime prevalence for posttraumatic stress disorder is similar to that reported for combat veterans," they pointed out.

These findings, they declared, should "come as a wake-up call to news organizations that all is not necessarily well with the men and women who, at considerable risk, bring us news of the world’s conflicts."

The study was funded by the Freedom Forum and the Guggenheim Foundation.

The study, "A Hazardous Profession: War, Journalists, and Psychopathology," is posted on the Web at http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/159/9/1570?. {blacksquare}

Written By: Silver Power on 01/17/09 at 4:12 pm

I shall wikipedia him.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/09 at 4:18 pm

Wiki away,

(I added to my previous post)

then pucker   ;D

Written By: Silver Power on 01/17/09 at 4:32 pm

Oh, I thought dying would be more than enough. I dare say Bob Woodruff would fill the PTSB bill.

Psychiatric News

Psychiatric News October 4, 2002
Volume 37 Number 19
© 2002 American Psychiatric Association
p. 22
Clinical & Research News
War Correspondents Suffer Serious MH Fallout
Joan Arehart-Treichel

Researchers have completed what may be the first scientific study of how covering a war affects journalists’ psyches. The findings are sobering.

Although working as a war correspondent can be extremely dangerous, as the case of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl earlier this year attests, and the physical danger in turn places great stress on the psyche, it appears that no research has been done on the psychological health of war reporters.

So Anthony Feinstein, M.D., Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Toronto, and his coworkers decided to explore that issue, especially as more and more research is being conducted on the psychological impact of war on soldiers and civilians.

The results of their investigation, which appear in the September American Journal of Psychiatry, are hardly surprising: War correspondents are at high risk for alcohol abuse, major depression, and posttraumatic stress disorder.

First they approached six major news organizations—CNN, BBC, Reuters, CBC, Associated Press, ITN (Independent Television News), and the Rory Peck Trust (an organization representing freelance journalists)—and explained the purpose of their study. All agreed to participate and provided them with the names, work addresses, and e-mail addresses of 170 war correspondents.

These men and women were among the most experienced and respected correspondents. They had been reporting wars, on average, for 15 years. They had been shot at and wounded. They had survived plane crashes. They had lost close colleagues. They had even had bounties placed on their heads and been subjected to mock executions.

Feinstein and his colleagues then sent a questionnaire to each of these correspondents to obtain information about their alcohol and illicit drug use and past and present psychological states. The questionnaire included the 28-item General Health Questionnaire, which contains four subscales, each with seven questions, describing symptoms of somatic complaints, anxiety, social dysfunction, and depression; the Beck Depression Inventory, which contains 21 mood-related questions; and the Impact of Event Scale—Revised, which consists of 22 questions that closely follow DSM-IV criteria for posttraumatic stress disorder.

One journalist was murdered before the questionnaire reached him, thereby reducing the number of potential subjects to 169. Of these, 140 (83 percent) returned completed questionnaires.

Feinstein and his coworkers then approached 134 domestic journalists who were comparable to the war journalists in age, gender, and years of journalistic experience to learn whether they would be willing to serve as controls. One hundred and seven (80 percent) said yes, and each of these journalists filled out the same questionnaire that had been sent to the war journalists.

Then came the second, more challenging phase of the study—personal interviews with 28 (20 percent) of the war journalists. These 28 had been picked randomly, and the interviews took place over a period of several months in cities as far flung as New York, London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, and Johannesburg. The interview instrument that was used was the Structured Clinical Interview for Axis I DSM-IV Disorders (SCID). It indicated whether the subjects had ever had a major depression or currently had one, and whether they had ever had posttraumatic stress disorder or currently had it.

Nineteen (18 percent) of the domestic journalists were also randomly selected to take a SCID interview, and these interviews were conducted either face to face or by telephone.

Feinstein and his colleagues then analyzed the results from phase one of the study and compared results for the war correspondents with those for the domestic journalists.

One unit of alcohol was defined as a regular-size bottle of beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of spirits.

The average weekly alcohol consumption levels for the war-correspondents group, 15 units for men and 11 for women, was two and three times those of the domestic journalist group, respectively. With 14 units of alcohol per week considered the upper limit of acceptable drinking for men, 45 war correspondents, compared with only 13 domestic journalists, were drinking excessively—a highly significant difference statistically. The war correspondents also had significantly higher scores on the Beck Depression Inventory, and this difference was confirmed by the scores on the General Health Questionnaire’s depression subscale. As for PTSD symptoms, such as intrusive thoughts and images of traumatic events, 20 war correspondents (16 percent) had them, whereas only nine (10 percent) of the controls did, also a highly significant difference.

The researchers then analyzed the results from phase two of the study and compared results for the war correspondents with those for the controls. Six of the war group (21 percent) had experienced a major depression at some point in their lives, and two of that group (7 percent) currently were experiencing one. In contrast, only one journalist in the control group had ever had a major depression, and it had taken place before he had become a journalist. As for PTSD, eight of the war group (29 percent) had the disorder at some point in their lives, and three (11 percent) currently did. None of the domestic journalists indicated past or current PTSD.

Thus, it appears that war journalists are at high risk for alcohol abuse, major depression, and PTSD, Feinstein and his coworkers concluded. In fact, war journalists’ "lifetime prevalence for posttraumatic stress disorder is similar to that reported for combat veterans," they pointed out.

These findings, they declared, should "come as a wake-up call to news organizations that all is not necessarily well with the men and women who, at considerable risk, bring us news of the world’s conflicts."

The study was funded by the Freedom Forum and the Guggenheim Foundation.

The study, "A Hazardous Profession: War, Journalists, and Psychopathology," is posted on the Web at http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/159/9/1570?. {blacksquare}

I do not feel like reading all that. Therefore I will theoretically kiss only one cheek, as opposed to the full ranged pucker previously promised.

:-* (x( )

There. So anyone else excited for Obama?

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 4:42 pm

So anyone else excited for Obama?
i want his car!

Written By: Silver Power on 01/17/09 at 4:45 pm

i want his car!

The Chrysler? Yeah, that was on my homepage, he's selling it xD

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/09 at 6:58 pm

I do not feel like reading all that.

:-* (x( )

That's why I highlighted the best bits. 

As for Obama.  I have been amazingly sedate about this, excited, but not crying or jumping up and down. Guarded would be the word.  Hey, I lived through the sixties, talk about PTSB!    I am just now, beginning to feel the magic   :)

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 7:05 pm

what's the B, danoota? you keep using a different acronym, PTSB, and silver is using PTSD. just curious.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/09 at 7:09 pm

Going back to Ernie Pyle...

During WWI and WWII, the military controlled what got into print and newsreels.  During the Vietnam war, we saw the blood, mayhem, and misery in technicolor.  Consequently, war became very unpopular.  War is very profitable for corporations so we can't have public opinion trying to shut it down.  Joe the Plumbers arguments are red herring.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/09 at 7:10 pm

what's the B, danoota? you keep using a different acronym, PTSB, and silver is using PTSD. just curious.

Post Traumatic Stress is a Bummer

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/09 at 7:17 pm

Y'know, I don't know where that comes from, but I keep doing it.

That just about nails it  ;D ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/09 at 11:56 am

Keith Olbermann nailed it on the head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgrFKwt598

Remember Geraldo's news report?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3FHMR-24o&feature=related

By the way, did Joe The Wannabe Reporter, realize that during WWII, the Nazi uses the same technique, to broadcast the troops's efforts to the masses as propaganda, in theatres?

Guess not...

As Bugs Bunny put it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Kh7nLplWo

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/18/09 at 12:26 pm

Well maybe he'll end up going into the military.  Obviously he knows he's going to be confronted with autrocities.  Maybe he's just the Rambo type.  Don't know, could be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/09 at 12:35 pm

Well maybe he'll end up going into the military.  Obviously he knows he's going to be confronted with autrocities.  Maybe he's just the Rambo type.  Don't know, could be.

I'd love to see him made an honorary member of the Israeli military--then watch his own plumbing malfunction!
:o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/18/09 at 1:38 pm

I'd love to see him made an honorary member of the Israeli military--then watch his own plumbing malfunction!
:o

Why can I see him as a deserter within the first month.

Check for new replies or respond here...