» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Am I My Sisters/Brothers Keeper

Written By: danootaandme on 01/18/09 at 7:27 pm

The question is, what, in the society we have built for ourselves, is our duty, and what is the duty of our government in insuring that the most vulnerable are taken care of, and not exploited. 

What brought this up was a discussion about the role of social security and retirement. I brought up the scenario of the stay at home mother.  The stay-at-home mother is given an almost holy reverence, but the fact is she is in an extremely precarious position.  One the depends on the understanding, respect, and largesse of the husband(or partner).  Her retirement depends on her spouses earnings.  Her standard of living and savings depend on her spouse allowing her access to his pay. Although many think this is a given, it is not.  When a spouse gets his/her pay there is not a legal requirement for him/her to hand over any of it to his/her spouse, unless they have separated and have a support order in place.  I don't believe I have heard of support orders being issued to persons who are married and living together.

So if social security were to be dismantled, what would happen to the stay at home mother, who did all the right things, raised her child/children, maybe even seen one or more die in a war,  kept a good home, but woke to find herself destitute because as valued as she has been led to believe she is, now that she needs the support of society, she finds that her contribution doesn't count.

Subject: Re: Am I My Sisters/Brothers Keeper

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/09 at 7:35 pm

Well, we could pass a law that requires the husband to pay Social Security taxes to so that the wife has an account to use when she gets of retirement age...

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/09 at 8:07 pm

I would guess it depends somewhat on what state you live in.  In California, unless a prenup is signed with specific guidelines, all property belonging to husband or wife legally belong to both.

That includes 401k's, stocks, inheritances, bank accounts, etc... When I took money out of my 401k a few years ago, I had to have my husband sign a consent form, even though I, not he, made the contributions.

I have seen scenarios, however, where the wives are non-English speaking and uneducated, and wouldn't have a clue about this law.  A former co-worker of mine was trying to buy a house, he & his wife couldn't qualify for a joint loan because the wife had no income... so in order for him to get an individual loan, his wife had to sign away all interest in the house.  I am sure she had no idea what she was signing.  Then they ended up getting divorced, and only then, when she was expecting to keep the house, did she find out what she had signed.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/18/09 at 10:50 pm

As Odyssey mentioned, it's primarily addressed as a state issue.

At the very most, state governments should legislate retirement affairs.  The federal government really should be removed from the picture eventually, because it has much greater issues to address.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/19/09 at 12:15 am

the support of society

Who's this "society" person?  Never met him. 

She doesn't need the support of "society".  She needs the support of (at most) the people within her monkeysphere.

"Monkeysphere?", I hear you ask.  What the hell is the Monkeysphere? (page 1) (page 2)"

(Yes, that's a serious article on human psychology, and yes, it's on Cracked.  Stop laughing, and read it.  Then come back to this post.)

If, as hypothesized, Dunbar's Number is around 150, it would explain why successful startups tend to implode under the weight of their own politics and infighting after they grow beyond about this point.

Even if her band (closest 20-30 associates, including friends and extended family, but not the rest of her monkeysphere) shared responsibility for supporting her, she (and her offspring) would do just fine. 

Over my lifetime, I've averaged about 5-7 people whom I'd support a crisis, and there's a similar number upon whom I could rely to have my back in a crisis.  I have no mate and no offspring, but in a mated pair, we could reasonably be expected to double our numbers by adding each other's backers to our own; the extra support would be available to both partners in any crisis that didn't break the pair-bond.

So, let's turn this into tax policy.

1040-FOO: Your Monkeytax is xx% of your income tax.  ("xx%" is the proportion of tax dollars in the budget - not just the "discretionary" budget, the entire budget that currently goes towards "Payments to people".  It's a huge slice of the whole budget pie.  You can look it up on the IRS's website, which I'm too lazy to do at the moment.) 

On Form 1040-FOO, all taxpayers must list 150 non-dependent non-spouse taxpayers (individuals or 501(c)3 charitable organizations), by SSN and dollar ammount, to whom you would like to allocate your Monkeytax.  No more than 10% of your Monkeytax may be allocated to any one taxpayer (none of your friends gets to hog it).  No less than 0.1% of your Monkeytax may be allocated to any one taxpayer (no fair giving $0.01 to 140 random people, and 10% to 10 of your friends.  The point is to get people to want to expand their monkeyspheres, not stick to their top 10 friends).

My parents (and while they were alive, grandparents) might get 10% each.  My parents might give me 10% of their Monkeytax back to me.  But even if we gave 10% to the top 8, whatever's left to #9, and 0.1% to the bottom 141 monkeys, we'd have a much more interesting (and voluntary) way of paying for social programmes.  I'm as anti-tax as it gets, but even I could find it a lot easier to come up with 150 people to whom I'd like to give my money, than 150 charitable organizations.

At tax time, every taxpayer gets the total of all Monkeybucks in a single anonymized check from the Treasury.  No way for my parents to know whether they got 10% or 9% -- or my bartender from knowing whether he got 0.1% or 0.2% -- or from whom they got it, unless your friends are close enough that you want to show them your tax returns.  (To further anonymize it, the Monkeycheck could be multiplied by a random number from 0.89 to 1.09.  Sometimes you get 89% of your Monkeybucks, other years you get 109% of your Monkeybucks.  Maybe your friends all had a bad year, maybe some of them had very good years.  Maybe you were a jerk, or maybe you've got more friends than you know.  The remaining 1% - this is government, there's gotta be some skimming off the top - goes to grease whatever palms are necessary to get the law passed... umm, I mean, "to administer the system".) 

It turns out that most people can reasonably be expected to be your brother's keeper, but only within their monkeysphere.  The present-day system of taxation evolved in an era without computers, and you couldn't do something like a social-networking approach to taxation (which is basically what my "Monkeytax" idea is) without a boatload of computers.  When you scale present taxation policies to societies of millions of people, it becomes nothing more than the gub'mint taking your stuff and giving it to people you don't give a damn about, while skimming some off for themselves.  That way lies the theft, thuggery, and kleptocracy that characterize our present system.  I'd hate taxes a lot less if it were less like spending 20 hours figuring out how much the gangsters want, and my reward for having spent those 20 hours is that I get to take ~20-30% of the final tax owed (as in, the big number, Total Tax Due, not the piddling refund or amount you still owe when you file) and use it to play a Web 2.0ish "Secret Santa" game with my own social network.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/09 at 12:56 am

Holy matrimony decreed "share my worldly good," but marriage as an institution is finished--not that it was ever a panacea. 

Perhaps we were better off as small bands of hunter-gatherers.  Perhaps not.  Either way, we can't go back.  Indeed, "society" does not have personhood.  Corporations do have "personhood" and that's a big part of our problem, not just legislatively, but philosophically.

There are various schools of thought that advocate dismantling Social Security.  However, if it were left up to the adherents of any one of these schools of thought, I see no scenario under which our current plight would improve.  Quite the contrary, we would return to the days of the 19th century in which widows and orphans lived short and brutal lives.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/09 at 8:06 am

Who's this "society" person?  Never met him. 

She doesn't need the support of "society".  She needs the support of (at most) the people within her monkeysphere.

"Monkeysphere?", I hear you ask.  What the hell is the Monkeysphere? (page 1) (page 2)"

(Yes, that's a serious article on human psychology, and yes, it's on Cracked.  Stop laughing, and read it.  Then come back to this post.)

If, as hypothesized, Dunbar's Number is around 150, it would explain why successful startups tend to implode under the weight of their own politics and infighting after they grow beyond about this point.

Even if her band (closest 20-30 associates, including friends and extended family, but not the rest of her monkeysphere) shared responsibility for supporting her, she (and her offspring) would do just fine. 

Over my lifetime, I've averaged about 5-7 people whom I'd support a crisis, and there's a similar number upon whom I could rely to have my back in a crisis.  I have no mate and no offspring, but in a mated pair, we could reasonably be expected to double our numbers by adding each other's backers to our own; the extra support would be available to both partners in any crisis that didn't break the pair-bond.

So, let's turn this into tax policy.

1040-FOO: Your Monkeytax is xx% of your income tax.  ("xx%" is the proportion of tax dollars in the budget - not just the "discretionary" budget, the entire budget that currently goes towards "Payments to people".  It's a huge slice of the whole budget pie.  You can look it up on the IRS's website, which I'm too lazy to do at the moment.) 

On Form 1040-FOO, all taxpayers must list 150 non-dependent non-spouse taxpayers (individuals or 501(c)3 charitable organizations), by SSN and dollar ammount, to whom you would like to allocate your Monkeytax.  No more than 10% of your Monkeytax may be allocated to any one taxpayer (none of your friends gets to hog it).  No less than 0.1% of your Monkeytax may be allocated to any one taxpayer (no fair giving $0.01 to 140 random people, and 10% to 10 of your friends.  The point is to get people to want to expand their monkeyspheres, not stick to their top 10 friends).

My parents (and while they were alive, grandparents) might get 10% each.  My parents might give me 10% of their Monkeytax back to me.  But even if we gave 10% to the top 8, whatever's left to #9, and 0.1% to the bottom 141 monkeys, we'd have a much more interesting (and voluntary) way of paying for social programmes.  I'm as anti-tax as it gets, but even I could find it a lot easier to come up with 150 people to whom I'd like to give my money, than 150 charitable organizations.

At tax time, every taxpayer gets the total of all Monkeybucks in a single anonymized check from the Treasury.  No way for my parents to know whether they got 10% or 9% -- or my bartender from knowing whether he got 0.1% or 0.2% -- or from whom they got it, unless your friends are close enough that you want to show them your tax returns.  (To further anonymize it, the Monkeycheck could be multiplied by a random number from 0.89 to 1.09.  Sometimes you get 89% of your Monkeybucks, other years you get 109% of your Monkeybucks.  Maybe your friends all had a bad year, maybe some of them had very good years.  Maybe you were a jerk, or maybe you've got more friends than you know.  The remaining 1% - this is government, there's gotta be some skimming off the top - goes to grease whatever palms are necessary to get the law passed... umm, I mean, "to administer the system".) 

It turns out that most people can reasonably be expected to be your brother's keeper, but only within their monkeysphere.  The present-day system of taxation evolved in an era without computers, and you couldn't do something like a social-networking approach to taxation (which is basically what my "Monkeytax" idea is) without a boatload of computers.  When you scale present taxation policies to societies of millions of people, it becomes nothing more than the gub'mint taking your stuff and giving it to people you don't give a damn about, while skimming some off for themselves.  That way lies the theft, thuggery, and kleptocracy that characterize our present system.  I'd hate taxes a lot less if it were less like spending 20 hours figuring out how much the gangsters want, and my reward for having spent those 20 hours is that I get to take ~20-30% of the final tax owed (as in, the big number, Total Tax Due, not the piddling refund or amount you still owe when you file) and use it to play a Web 2.0ish "Secret Santa" game with my own social network.

This is all very...glib, very, clinical.  Madoff would love this stuff out.  In the real world reality tends to real its ugly head.

I would guess it depends somewhat on what state you live in.  In California, unless a prenup is signed with specific guidelines, all property belonging to husband or wife legally belong to both.

That includes 401k's, stocks, inheritances, bank accounts, etc... When I took money out of my 401k a few years ago, I had to have my husband sign a consent form, even though I, not he, made the contributions.

I have seen scenarios, however, where the wives are non-English speaking and uneducated, and wouldn't have a clue about this law.  A former co-worker of mine was trying to buy a house, he & his wife couldn't qualify for a joint loan because the wife had no income... so in order for him to get an individual loan, his wife had to sign away all interest in the house.  I am sure she had no idea what she was signing.  Then they ended up getting divorced, and only then, when she was expecting to keep the house, did she find out what she had signed.

What we area talking about here isn't division of assets, and hasn't anything to do with divorce.  It is about a stay-at-home, who remains married, with a wage earner who controls the finances and doesn't save, or isn't able to save(that is the reality of a huge part of the population) and with the dismantling of the social security system finds herself old, destitute, after having done what society has told her is the best thing a wife and mother could do.  Stay home, raise the children, support her community.  Until the advent of Social Security most of these women were throw aways.  Why should they after all they have done, be put in a position of being passed around, put up with, doled out. 

Well, we could pass a law that requires the husband to pay Social Security taxes to so that the wife has an account to use when she gets of retirement age...

I think that is what should happen, but the issue here is people saying the Social Security system should be ended. It is why I believe it should not.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/19/09 at 11:16 am

Trying to equate human behavior with apes is bad enough, but to compare us to monkeys is surely an insult, to both man and monkey. 

Of course SS is an important floor that protects all of us, and will continue to do so not withstanding  all the gloom and doom emanating from the nay sayers.

Written By: Tia on 01/19/09 at 11:32 am

actually the monkeysphere is an interesting idea. there seems to be a certain desire toward regression in it, do we really want to regress to a tribal state in which we only concern ourselves with what we can know with the minds we had when we were all huddled around campfires 10,000 years ago? if so, why do you think we organized ourselves into nation-states in the first place?

here's an alternative story, one that gets at why we might want to try and show an intellectual concern for people we've never met even if we don't feel it viscerally... it's a twilight zone that they made back in the 80s...

Norma Lewis (Mare Winningham) is the wife of a down-and-out man named Arthur (Brad Davis), who has problems landing steady employment, and can only afford to put his wife in a low-rent apartment. One day, a smartly-dressed stranger who introduces himself as Steward (Basil Hoffman) comes to their door and hands them a special box with a button on it. He says that if they press the button, two things will happen: they will receive $200,000, and someone "whom you don't know" will die.

After the stranger leaves, the Lewises wonder whether Steward's proposal is genuine, and agonize over whether to press the button. Norma rationalizes that they could make good use of the money, and that the one who dies might be some Chinese peasant who is living a miserable life. Arthur takes the side that since they do not know who will die, pressing the button may cause the death of an innocent baby. They open the box and dicover no mechanism inside it - it's simply an empty box with a button on it. Arthur angrily throws the box in the trash, yelling, "If this Mr. Steward comes back, you tell him he can find his box in the city dump!" However, in the middle of the night while Arthur is asleep Norma goes to the apartment building's dumpster and retrieves the device. The next day, Arthur leaves for work and sees Norma sitting at the kitchen table, her gaze transfixed on the button. At the end of the day, he returns from work and it appears that nothing has changed; Norma is still concentrating only on the button and sitting. The days go by. Norma and Arthur keep talking about the box, when suddenly Norma decides that she will push the button. She does it and her husband looks at her with disgust. They go to bed after seeing nothing happens. No money and no one seemed to have died.

However, the next day the stranger returns, takes back the box, and gives them a briefcase with the $200,000. The Lewises are in shock and ask what will happen next. The stranger ominously replies that the button will be "reprogrammed" and offered to someone else with the same terms and conditions, adding as he focuses on Norma, "I can assure you it will be offered to someone whom you don't know." The camera zooms in on Norma's horrified expression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button,_Button_(The_Twilight_Zone)

it kinda sucks to have to make such a utilitarian/self-interested argument for why we might want to sacrifice some tax dollars for someone who only exists in the abstract but the fact of the matter is, the libertarians who advocate living in some kind of hobbesian state of nature seem to think that THEY'LL have a social network sufficient to keep themselves and their loved ones alive and comfortable but trust me -- there's no way you can accumulate enough firearms, sandbags and canned goods to survive comfortably in an anarchic society with 7 billion people on it. you'll starve too, unless you're part of a VERY select elite of the super-rich.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/19/09 at 11:44 am

Well, in a roundabout way the government does try to take care of the non-working spouse, as your income tax form allows you to take a full standardized deduction for your stay-at-home mom/dad, as well as expand the salary cap for tax-exempt/tax-deferred retirement accounts.  Also, the working spouse is able to set aside a full IRA for the non-working spouse.  So the stay-at-home mom isn't completely fuct as far as retirement is concerned, methinks.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/19/09 at 11:53 am

Well, in a roundabout way the government does try to take care of the non-working spouse, as your income tax form allows you to take a full standardized deduction for your stay-at-home mom/dad, as well as expand the salary cap for tax-exempt/tax-deferred retirement accounts.  Also, the working spouse is able to set aside a full IRA for the non-working spouse.  So the stay-at-home mom isn't completely fuct as far as retirement is concerned, methinks.

All true, but only if you make enough to save.  When I was first married, we lived from pay check to pay check.  Most people do, all their lives.  So SS is at least a bit of a cushion.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/09 at 12:16 pm

actually the monkeysphere is an interesting idea. there seems to be a certain desire toward regression in it, do we really want to regress to a tribal state in which we only concern ourselves with what we can know with the minds we had when we were all huddled around campfires 10,000 years ago? if so, why do you think we organized ourselves into nation-states in the first place?

here's an alternative story, one that gets at why we might want to try and show an intellectual concern for people we've never met even if we don't feel it viscerally... it's a twilight zone that they made back in the 80s...

it kinda sucks to have to make such a utilitarian/self-interested argument for why we might want to sacrifice some tax dollars for someone who only exists in the abstract but the fact of the matter is, the libertarians who advocate living in some kind of hobbesian state of nature seem to think that THEY'LL have a social network sufficient to keep themselves and their loved ones alive and comfortable but trust me -- there's no way you can accumulate enough firearms, sandbags and canned goods to survive comfortably in an anarchic society with 7 billion people on it. you'll starve too, unless you're part of a VERY select elite of the super-rich.

OMG, I remember that episode!  

The ancestors of Liberianism, such as John Locke or Henry David Thoreau, were interested in the rights of the individual perhaps, but their spirit is dead to Grover Norquist and Bob Barr.  Today's Libertarianism is a style of fascism in which everybody wants to be Mussolini!  These guys are corporatist, authoritarian, and happy to broker Faustian bargains with religious fanatics to keep lowing herds docile.  By and large, they're rich kids who love a police state, but don't want to pay for it.  Thus it's cut taxes and raise empire! Let the marauding armies steal the wealth of the world from other people and leave us be to indulge in our coke-fueled orgies at our Greenwich compounds!  The Grover Norquists of the world have more in common with Caligula than Sebastien Faure.  

The Libertarians speak of America's foundations as their heritage.  The industrial revolution was just getting started in 1791.  We were an agrarian society.  You could ponder the exaltation of the individual of you were a rich planter.  Otherwise, you worked your ass off from dawn to dark hoping you didn't starve to death over the winter, or maybe you were a slave with zero rights at all.  Is that the kind of liberty you're talking about?

I said you can't go back to the monkeysphere.  Even if you could, is that liberty?  Paleolithic groups were extremely hierarchical.  The big boss man was the big boss man because he could whip your ass.  Again, after the division of labor, everybody worked at their given tasks, whether it was hunting buffalo or picking berries.  Freedom of choice didn't enter into it.  Maybe our species was happier then, but we can't go back, and it's not really the Ayn Rand ideal now is it?

History will prove that social democracy as practiced in western Europe is the best model for maximum development potential for the individual and best preservation of security for the group.  This sort of system doesn't allow a handful of people to get super-duper rich, but money isn't the most important thing in the world, is it?  Or is it?
???

Written By: Macphisto on 01/19/09 at 12:33 pm

Trying to equate human behavior with apes is bad enough, but to compare us to monkeys is surely an insult, to both man and monkey.

Maybe it's insulting, but it's also accurate.

By the way... Foo Bar...  you should run for office.  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/19/09 at 12:59 pm

All true, but only if you make enough to save.  When I was first married, we lived from pay check to pay check.  Most people do, all their lives.  So SS is at least a bit of a cushion.

Social Security is a minimum floor of income.  I wouldn't want to rely on that for the rest of my life especially when it's about to go insolvent.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/09 at 5:08 pm

Once again, all this depends on the largesse of the spouse.  The wage earner could, if he wants, set aside money for a full IRA for the non-working spouse. He doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.  If he would rather spend the money on beer for his buddies, or put the money towards a full size pickup he can do that.  Without social security there wouldn't be any legal financial protections for the stay at home wife and mother.

Social Security is a minimum floor of income.  I wouldn't want to rely on that for the rest of my life especially when it's about to go insolvent.

But it is better than nothing, which is what the stay at homes would be left with.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/19/09 at 7:56 pm

Once again, all this depends on the largesse of the spouse.  The wage earner could, if he wants, set aside money for a full IRA for the non-working spouse. He doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.  If he would rather spend the money on beer for his buddies, or put the money towards a full size pickup he can do that.  Without social security there wouldn't be any legal financial protections for the stay at home wife and mother.

But it is better than nothing, which is what the stay at homes would be left with.

So how do you enforce it?  What happens if you give po folk more money so they can save for retirement, except they bilk the system and spend it on HDTVs?  Not that it will always happen, but y'know...

Financial security is partly due to income and partly due to behavior.  I think government can play a part in the income portion, but how do you legislate behavior? 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/09 at 6:46 am

So how do you enforce it?  What happens if you give po folk more money so they can save for retirement, except they bilk the system and spend it on HDTVs?  Not that it will always happen, but y'know...

Financial security is partly due to income and partly due to behavior.  I think government can play a part in the income portion, but how do you legislate behavior? 

FOCUS

It is not about "po folk".  I am trying to get people here to focus on the stay at home mom, the one that remains married,  that many would have us believe is exalted in our society, but isn't.  She is not relegated to the lower incomes, as a matter of fact she is generally in the solid working class. She is held up as the exemplar, but if we were to end social security, and the principal wage earner, who is not required in any way to make provisions for his spouse during the marriage or in the event of his death, he is not even required to let her know how much money he earns, were to leave her destitute, would we then say, "hey you did the right thing, raised the children, did the volunteer work, everything society holds dear,  now you need us, but hey, tough luck,  you never really worked because you never earned wages.  Lots of luck."  ?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/20/09 at 11:36 am

No, it is not accurate.  I do a lot of reading on human origins and human evolution, and the majority of paleoanthropologists reject the comparisons.  We have very little in common with ape society according to most of those scientists.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/20/09 at 1:11 pm

No, it is not accurate.  I do a lot of reading on human origins and human evolution, and the majority of paleoanthropologists reject the comparisons.  We have very little in common with ape society according to most of those scientists.

The monkeysphere still seems pretty accurate though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/20/09 at 2:01 pm

FOCUS

It is not about "po folk".  I am trying to get people here to focus on the stay at home mom, the one that remains married,  that many would have us believe is exalted in our society, but isn't.  She is not relegated to the lower incomes, as a matter of fact she is generally in the solid working class. She is held up as the exemplar, but if we were to end social security, and the principal wage earner, who is not required in any way to make provisions for his spouse during the marriage or in the event of his death, he is not even required to let her know how much money he earns, were to leave her destitute, would we then say, "hey you did the right thing, raised the children, did the volunteer work, everything society holds dear,  now you need us, but hey, tough luck,  you never really worked because you never earned wages.  Lots of luck."  ?

I think my point is relevant though.  The government can regulate a minimum wage, and can provide tax-shelters and other retirement packages for families, but it is up to the individual family to take advantage of it.  America is the land of opportunity, and if they choose not to take advantage of that opportunity and instead blow a mortgage payment on an HDTV, how do you propose that we pass a law to fine them or whatever, aside from telling them that they suck for being financially irresponsible?  Besides, when one gets married, how they choose to conduct their marriage, including finances, is their business.  I'm all in favor of helping people save for retirement, but if they don't want to help themselves, what am I supposed to do about it? 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/09 at 6:39 pm

I think my point is relevant though.  The government can regulate a minimum wage, and can provide tax-shelters and other retirement packages for families, but it is up to the individual family to take advantage of it.  America is the land of opportunity, and if they choose not to take advantage of that opportunity and instead blow a mortgage payment on an HDTV, how do you propose that we pass a law to fine them or whatever, aside from telling them that they suck for being financially irresponsible?  Besides, when one gets married, how they choose to conduct their marriage, including finances, is their business.  I'm all in favor of helping people save for retirement, but if they don't want to help themselves, what am I supposed to do about it? 

I understand your point.  You seem to dwell on the people that I am not talking about.  It is easy to point to that portion who throw out their money, people with the education and ability who should know better.  But I see so many people without the education, without the wherewithal, people much more naive and trusting.  People who don't buy the HDTVs, people who work hard, do all the right things, then one day find themselves on the very short end of the stick, reduced to begging in the richest country in the world.  I firmly believe that we should be judged by our treatment of the most vulnerable.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/09 at 7:20 pm

I understand your point.  You seem to dwell on the people that I am not talking about.  It is easy to point to that portion who throw out their money, people with the education and ability who should know better.  But I see so many people without the education, without the wherewithal, people much more naive and trusting.  People who don't buy the HDTVs, people who work hard, do all the right things, then one day find themselves on the very short end of the stick, reduced to begging in the richest country in the world.  I firmly believe that we should be judged by our treatment of the most vulnerable.

It's that Ronald Reagan mental block still hindering conservative thought after all these years:  If your indigent it's because you're a spendthrift who doesn't know how to manage money.

(Which was kind of a funny attitude for Reagan to have.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/21/09 at 12:15 am

We organized ourselves into larger groups so that we could take advantage of specialization of labor to create food surpluses. 

I'm not arguing that we devolve into neolithic-sized groups of 150 people.  The Stone Age sucked because each band was separate from each other, and had to most of its time foraging for food.  They actually had more leisure time than we do today, but they had miserable life expectancies and no way to use food surpluses to fund specialization of labor, which meant that band-sized groups could never invent medicine, rocketships, or video games.  Screw that :)

You're going to want to read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse for a better explanation of how it works, and the ways in which it can stop working.

Karma for "Button, Button".  It's the perfect Monkeysphere illustration.  "Someone I don't know" means protects 150/6,000,000,000 people.  But "someone one-link-removed from my monkeysphere" could be as many as 22,500 people.  I'd be saddened if my best friend's friend (even if I've never heard of the person) got buttoned.  I'd be at least "miffed" if my friend told me that his friend's wife got buttoned.  Within two-degrees-of-separation in 150-person groups, you're probably talking about more than 3 million people.  Even subtracting a huge amount for overlaps, you're probably talking about hundreds of thousands of people.

It's a "six-degrees-of-separation" thought experiment on a societal scale.  Our individual monkeyspheres, if connected, would - by definition, since no man is an island - cover all 6 billion of us.  We just don't know it yet, because the tools to visualize it and turn it into viable social policy haven't been made clear. 

What if there was a "Button, Button" that dropped $100 into the wallet of "someone you don't know, but a friend of a friend, or a friend of a friend of a friend" at random?  What if everyone had such a button?  How often would you press yours? 

If 1/3 of tax revenues are currently used to fund entitlements, would you continue with the current system, or would you press the button once for every $300 withheld from your taxes (in exchange for a corresponding tax reduction!)?  Right now, the current system guarantees that only pennies of your taxes go to anyone you (or anyone you know) cares about.  If you knew that it would going to someone a few links closer to you "complete stranger", might you even press it more often than once for every $300 in taxes currently withheld?

Are you nuts?  I can barely take care of myself and the closest 5-10 in my monkeysphere, let alone all 299,999,999 of the rest of y'all.  And you saw how badly the Chimp did when we put him in charge...

(The real problem with government - be it democracy or autarchy - is that the types of people who seek out government power are precisely the types of people least suited to wield it.  If made Emperor, I'd revert to the Greek system, whereby representatives were selected at random from the population.  A Congress of 535 randomly-selected idiots would probably do no worse than one of 535 corrupt lawyers, most of whom happen to be idiots anyways.)

Back to the monkeysphere idea - how about a Congress of 53500 idiots?  535,000?  At some point, you get the problems of direct democracy.  At present, we suffer from the fact that one Senate or Congressional vote is so important as to be worth buying.  Somewhere in the middle - and it might be too hard to figure out where that optimal point lies - there might be a net benefit.

Another way to take advantage of the monkeysphere would be to keep the numbers as they stand, but to geographically disperse our representatives.  Have the existing 435+100 vote, electronically, from within their own districts.  Right now, the lobbyists congregate on "K Street", and their targets congregate in the Capitol.  Since everyone in this cozy arrangement attends the same circuit of rubber-chicken fundraising dinners, each lobbyist ends up with a few dozen Congresscritters in his Monkeysphere, and each Rep or Senator probably has a similar number of "trusted" lobbyists in his Monkeysphere.  In a distributed government, each lobbyist would have to travel from district to district -- they'd have fewer Congresscritters in their Monkeyspheres.  Conversely, your Congresscritter would have more opportunity tobe forced to interact with his/her actual constituents, and would - even if by accident rather than by choice - have more citizens (and fewer lobbyists) in his/her Monkeysphere.  As a HomeSec bonus, by geographically distributing representative government and doing it all via electronic conferencing, we could ensure continuity of government from anything short of WW3.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/23/09 at 9:59 pm

I've got a simpler idea....  break America into about 8 pieces.  That would solve a lot of problems right there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/09 at 12:07 am

I've got a simpler idea....  break America into about 8 pieces.  That would solve a lot of problems right there.

It feels like they already did...right over my head!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tard.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 01/24/09 at 10:49 am

It feels like they already did...right over my head!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tard.gif

Touche...  lol

Written By: Tia on 01/28/09 at 9:54 pm

Karma for "Button, Button". 

What if there was a "Button, Button" that dropped $100 into the wallet of "someone you don't know, but a friend of a friend, or a friend of a friend of a friend" at random?  What if everyone had such a button?  How often would you press yours? 

dude!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Box_(2009_film)

richard kelly's doing a movie adaptation. that's gonna be some wack siht, dawg.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/09 at 12:13 am

You're going to want to read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse for a better explanation of how it works, and the ways in which it can stop working.

I agree with Jared Diamond on the big picture.

The activists call me a pessimist.  They're into sustainable organic community agriculture---and I'm not.  I don't knock them for their activism or their ideology.  Actually, I do resent a bit of it, the part that says if everybody was like us, the world would be a utopia.  That part is dangerous if they get in charge.  However, they're not in charge, they're just doing their thing.  Fine.  I agree with the activists that we need to live at sustainable levels of population and resource consumption but I don't see the activists ultimately leading the way.  I see famine, disease, and war as the catalyst.

No, silly, I'm not promoting catastrophe as policy.  This is what you might call beyond good and evil. 

I'm certainly not the first to observe the human will to power through population growth and economic expansion.  I'm often bitter about the second part because I feel like I don't get share in the spoils.  Nonetheless, the activists want those who wield power to voluntarily downsize.  They say we need to enact a negative economic growth rate for our own survival.  Maybe so, but civilizations tend to push it to the limits and if they don't get conquered by a more powerful civilization, they collapse under their own weight.  That's what really happened to the Romans.  They conquered too many nations and expended too many resources, economic and natural, which allowed hordes of lesser powers to destroy the Roman Empire by attrition.  It took hundreds of years--hundreds more than the American empire will ever see--but by the 7th century, their remnants in the East existed in name only. 

Of course, in the past half millennium, we've increased world population by five billion, three in the past century in alone; we've inhabited every corner of the Earth so there's no place left to go, and we've built weapons that can kill us to the last soul, so our fall might not leave our species the same options as the fall of Rome!
:o

As to what is "moral," that's a different kettle o' fish!

Check for new replies or respond here...