» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: President Barack Obama!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/09 at 6:56 pm

I'm psyched!  How about you?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/occasion18.gif

Subject: Re: President Barack Obama!!!

Written By: Tia on 01/20/09 at 6:59 pm

i am too :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/20/09 at 7:00 pm

I was listening to his Inaugural speech in my car before my swimming class met, and I started to feel tears well up. I have so much hope for him and our country!  8)

Written By: Jessica on 01/20/09 at 7:01 pm

Hahaahahahahahahahahaha.  I was just coming on here to type somewhere, "OMG OBAMA IS PRESIDENT!!!!!!  SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEAL!!!!!"

Or something to that effect. :D

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc312/heatherdriver/obama.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/09 at 7:03 pm

I just gotta say it again:

President Barack Obama

Hot daaayuuum!!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_sunny.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_sunny.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_sunny.gif

Written By: Davester on 01/20/09 at 7:13 pm

And not a moment too soon...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/20/09 at 7:17 pm

I hope someone kick Bush in the ass on his way out.  President Barack Obama, I like the sound of that.  Now we can get America back on track or at least the track it should be on. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/09 at 7:25 pm

I hope someone kick Bush in the ass on his way out.  President Barack Obama, I like the sound of that.  Now we can get America back on track or at least the track it should be on. :)

Now, now, no need to be spiteful...

I just hope he let's the door hit his ass on the way out!

I didn't like seeing Cheney in that wheelchair...because most people in wheelchairs are honest, decent folks!  What's a guy in his health doing lifting heavy boxes anyway?  A big strong fella like Joe the Plumber shoulda been there to help the Cheneys move to McLean!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/09 at 7:27 pm

I am enthusiastic as the next person. In fact, tonight, Carlos is making some kind of Hawaiian meal (or at least he is going to try. lol) and we have a bottle of Spumonti for the occasion. Yes, I am so happy that that idiot is now out of Washington and can't do any harm to this country anymore. Yes, Texas has its idiot back.

That being said, I am not so naive to think that Obama is going to be the Messiah. Personally, I think he is a fool. Why? I think ANYONE who wants to be clean-up is a fool-and that is what he is, Clean-up! Can he do it? I hope so. There is a lot of damage to correct.

I think the U.S. has entered a new era-one of hope for the future-something I don't think this country has had in a LONG time. I think he could be the greatest president this country has seen or he could turn out to be just another one and not anything spectacular. Only time will tell. For now, I will celebrate that we no longer have to deal with the neocons. 

Congrats to PRESIDENT OBAMA and may he have a LONG & HEALTHY presidency.

Cat 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/09 at 7:33 pm

I am enthusiastic as the next person. In fact, tonight, Carlos is making some kind of Hawaiian meal (or at least he is going to try. lol) and we have a bottle of Spumonti for the occasion. Yes, I am so happy that that idiot is now out of Washington and can't do any harm to this country anymore. Yes, Texas has its idiot back.

That being said, I am not so naive to think that Obama is going to be the Messiah. Personally, I think he is a fool. Why? I think ANYONE who wants to be clean-up is a fool-and that is what he is, Clean-up! Can he do it? I hope so. There is a lot of damage to correct.

I think the U.S. has entered a new era-one of hope for the future-something I don't think this country has had in a LONG time. I think he could be the greatest president this country has seen or he could turn out to be just another one and not anything spectacular. Only time will tell. For now, I will celebrate that we no longer have to deal with the neocons. 

Cat   

I agree.  We must be tougher on Obama than we were on Bush because we expect good things from Obama.  I never expected anything from Dubya but a kick in the head, and that's all we got!

I didn't get that exuberance until this morning at about 11:00.  I've learned to be reserved about good news, but today the excitement just took over!

Written By: Macphisto on 01/20/09 at 8:27 pm

I can't say I'm psyched, but I'm definitely much happier now that Bush is gone.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/20/09 at 8:41 pm

I had a dream the other night that President Obama came to me asking for advice.

What I told him was "Mr. President, you have not fulfilled your destiny.  Over the next four years you will get the chance too, though.  Let's get to work!"

Let all of us Americans today get to work.  Elections are over, we have a job to do.

Let's kick ass!!!!!!!  :)

Written By: nally on 01/20/09 at 8:45 pm

I'm definitely much happier now that Bush is gone.

So am I!!

I was watching the inauguration ceremony on TV today, including the swearing in of now-President Obama, his inaugural speech...and the Bushes leaving the building!

Written By: statsqueen on 01/20/09 at 8:56 pm

Cat   

Well said, Cat.  I am excited for the change, but hope that he doesn't fall into the same ways that all the others have.  I think the one thing we can safely say is that he can't do much worse.  At the very least, it gives us something to look forward to since this is unchartered territory.  I was able to watch the swearing in on my computer at work, but missed the speech, which I heard was absolutely phenomenal.  I'm excited to see what he can accomplish and hopes he has the support of Congress.

Written By: Tia on 01/20/09 at 9:25 pm

I had a dream the other night that President Obama came to me asking for advice.

What I told him was "Mr. President, you have not fulfilled your destiny.  Over the next four years you will get the chance too, though.  Let's get to work!"

Let all of us Americans today get to work.  Elections are over, we have a job to do.

Let's kick ass!!!!!!!   :)
that was beautiful man  8) seriously

Written By: Brian06 on 01/20/09 at 9:28 pm

I'm very optimistic and though Obama isn't perfect, I think he will be a good leader for this country.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/20/09 at 10:12 pm

Had to spend most of the day handing out $5 bills to people.  Back in October, I'd bet that even if we made it to the elections, the country wouldn't last until the Inauguration, the cities would riot post-Katrina New Orleans look like Disneyland, and the survivors would be forming warlord-like bands to have raging battles with well-armed farmers in the countryside.

I've never been so happy to lose a bet.  The country actually survived Bush II.  So we've got that goin' for us.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/09 at 11:30 pm

So when Aretha Franklin started singing "My Country 'tis of Thee," the I thought, "Boy, I wouldn't have emphasized the first syllable of "country" like that!  Then I thought, "Are you that Beavis and Butt-head?  History's in the making here and out of 100 million watching, you're the one snickering, 'Uh-huh-huh-huh, she said..."  So I resolved to keep it to myself.

Well, wouldn't you know it, tonight Jon Stewart and Samantha Bee made it the punchline of an entire sketch on the Daily Show!  So there!  I really am that Beavis and Butt-head!
:-[

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/09 at 2:56 am

I was watching the inaugural balls tonight and I found them quite fascinating.

Some balls were held for charity, and some for fancy dress.

But the ones that were held for pleasure were the balls that I liked best.  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 8:26 am

So when Aretha Franklin started singing "My Country 'tis of Thee," the I thought, "Boy, I wouldn't have emphasized the first syllable of "country" like that!  Then I thought, "Are you that Beavis and Butt-head?  History's in the making here and out of 100 million watching, you're the one snickering, 'Uh-huh-huh-huh, she said..."  So I resolved to keep it to myself.

Well, wouldn't you know it, tonight Jon Stewart and Samantha Bee made it the punchline of an entire sketch on the Daily Show!  So there!  I really am that Beavis and Butt-head!
:-LOL    ;D ;D  manohman

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 8:32 am

When he spoke at the convention all those years ago I, like everyone, knew we had something special.  If you can believe it, I remember when he became head of the Harvard Law Review, it was very big news for anyone paying attention to that stuff.  I even remember the controversy about how he picked his editors. I wasn't quite sure he could pull it off, my confidence was in him, but not with the electorate.  I really didn't believe that America, all of America, would put their trust in him.  Now here we are.  Strangely I don't feel the elation that has gripped so many, and I am not sure why.  It almost feels, to me, the natural order of things.  That is the only way I can describe it. 

Written By: philbo on 01/21/09 at 10:47 am

I don't think anyone has ever started any job in the history of the planet with more people having such high expectations.

It's really rather scary, in many ways - I hope people have the patience to give him time, as the problems he's got on his plate are not ones that can be sorted in days or even months.

In case anyone missed it, I was quite pleased with this parody to Gee Officer Krupke, which ISTM could be the sort of thing going on in the White House over the next few weeks.

Written By: Jessica on 01/21/09 at 11:52 am

:-
I don't think anyone has ever started any job in the history of the planet with more people having such high expectations.

It's really rather scary, in many ways - I hope people have the patience to give him time, as the problems he's got on his plate are not ones that can be sorted in days or even months.

In case anyone missed it, I was quite pleased with this parody to Gee Officer Krupke, which ISTM could be the sort of thing going on in the White House over the next few weeks.

I think that most people are smart enough to realize that the country won't be fixed like two minutes ago.  I know you're always going to have those pootwats that think two months down the line, "Oh my God, he's such a liar, he hasn't done sh*t", but those are the same people that didn't vote for him and want something to complain about or they voted for him with the notion that he is Superman.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/09 at 1:18 pm

:-[

What really surprises me is that no one on this board has mentioned about Aretha Franklin's hat.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/21/09 at 1:56 pm

What really surprises me is that no one on this board has mentioned about Aretha Franklin's hat.

Cat

Mike Trivissano (A Radio Personality in Cleveland) mentioned it yesterday.

I agree.  We must be tougher on Obama than we were on Bush because we expect good things from Obama.  I never expected anything from Dubya but a kick in the head, and that's all we got!

I didn't get that exuberance until this morning at about 11:00.  I've learned to be reserved about good news, but today the excitement just took over!

Max,

There were some hecklers saying "Na na na Goodbye" when Bush was seen.

But in Texas...He was welcomed with open arms and cheering.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/21/09 at 4:00 pm

Cat

I was trying to forget it. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 4:07 pm

Cat

I loved the overall look.  Sunday hats are a very important part of the well dressed African American wardrobe. In fact in New York on the Saturday before Easter they have the parade of hats, women wearing their closely guarded Easter Bonnets.

Actually, I was wondering, given the temperature, why so many were hatless.  What are they nuts?  It was cold!

The Kentucky Derby is also a highly regarded Hat Day.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 4:29 pm

Browsing through a few blogs I find that the "white" press didn't like it, the "black" press did.  Here is a great explanation

Aretha's hat a lesson in black culture

By Donita Naylor
Journal Staff Writer

What's with Aretha Franklin's hat? That pearl-gray hat with the big bow that she wore yesterday to sing at President Obama's inauguration?

Anyone who's asking is probably not African-American, so here's a briefing from Gertrude F. Jones to help with the transition to the new administration's culture.

"The type of hat that Aretha had on is what we call a church hat," said Jones, who works in Providence at the Coro building as director of diversity for Lifespan.

In African-American churches, she said, "it's a convergence of faith and fashion. It keeps the Sabbath holy and it's also glamorous.

"If you look in the congregation, especially in the South, that is the thing to do," said Jones, who also serves as second vice president of the Rhode Island chapter of the charitable group the National Coalition of 100 Black Women, a name that is symbolic rather than a numerical reflection of membership.

"You have to have a fabulous hat, either with feathers, tuille, ribbons, something Afro-centric. The bigger and more design, the better."

When Aretha sang at the inauguration, she had on a gray hat, gray gloves and a gray outfit, Jones noted. "I didn't see her shoes, but I will bet you she had on gray shoes."

Jones said she and her three sisters were brought up to know that the hat, pocketbook and shoes all had to match. "We call it topping off the outfit. If you had beautiful suit, shoes and bag, the outfit wasn't finished without the hat."

The tradition is rooted in slavery and Christianity. "When slaves would go to church, they would take a little cloth, or a doily," she said. "We don't want to go to God thinking we're so bold as to be uncovered. Then it just kind of progressed, to bigger hats, matching hats. Now of course, it's this huge fashion statement."

Jones that after her mother died, "We were cleaning out everything and when we went to her storage bin, we found boxes and boxes and boxes of hats."

Three sisters (one wasn't interested) divided them up. "I have around 25 or 30 hats, I mean fabulous hats." She wore one to her coalition's annual Sister Hat Tea. "I think I came in number 2" with her favorite, which she described as the color of a copper penny with beautiful thin white feathers in front.

"Black women actually keep the hat industry going," Jones said, but you have to know where to look.

"They're hard to find. Every now and then TJ Maxx has a collection on sale. I've also seen some at Burlington Coat Factory. Most of them you have to order online."

She said specialty stores in the South carry them, with the matching outfits and accessories. When she travels and sees a fabulous hat, she buys it.

"I'm so proud to keep our tradition going."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/09 at 4:38 pm

I loved the overall look.  Sunday hats are a very important part of the well dressed African American wardrobe. In fact in New York on the Saturday before Easter they have the parade of hats, women wearing their closely guarded Easter Bonnets.

Actually, I was wondering, given the temperature, why so many were hatless.  What are they nuts?  It was cold!

I was not questioning why she was wearing a hat but the fact that her hat was a bit distracting. But you answered my question.

Browsing through a few blogs I find that the "white" press didn't like it, the "black" press did.  Here is a great explanation

Aretha's hat a lesson in black culture

By Donita Naylor
Journal Staff Writer

What's with Aretha Franklin's hat? That pearl-gray hat with the big bow that she wore yesterday to sing at President Obama's inauguration?

Anyone who's asking is probably not African-American, so here's a briefing from Gertrude F. Jones to help with the transition to the new administration's culture.

"The type of hat that Aretha had on is what we call a church hat," said Jones, who works in Providence at the Coro building as director of diversity for Lifespan.

In African-American churches, she said, "it's a convergence of faith and fashion. It keeps the Sabbath holy and it's also glamorous.

"If you look in the congregation, especially in the South, that is the thing to do," said Jones, who also serves as second vice president of the Rhode Island chapter of the charitable group the National Coalition of 100 Black Women, a name that is symbolic rather than a numerical reflection of membership.

"You have to have a fabulous hat, either with feathers, tuille, ribbons, something Afro-centric. The bigger and more design, the better."

When Aretha sang at the inauguration, she had on a gray hat, gray gloves and a gray outfit, Jones noted. "I didn't see her shoes, but I will bet you she had on gray shoes."

Jones said she and her three sisters were brought up to know that the hat, pocketbook and shoes all had to match. "We call it topping off the outfit. If you had beautiful suit, shoes and bag, the outfit wasn't finished without the hat."

The tradition is rooted in slavery and Christianity. "When slaves would go to church, they would take a little cloth, or a doily," she said. "We don't want to go to God thinking we're so bold as to be uncovered. Then it just kind of progressed, to bigger hats, matching hats. Now of course, it's this huge fashion statement."

Jones that after her mother died, "We were cleaning out everything and when we went to her storage bin, we found boxes and boxes and boxes of hats."

Three sisters (one wasn't interested) divided them up. "I have around 25 or 30 hats, I mean fabulous hats." She wore one to her coalition's annual Sister Hat Tea. "I think I came in number 2" with her favorite, which she described as the color of a copper penny with beautiful thin white feathers in front.

"Black women actually keep the hat industry going," Jones said, but you have to know where to look.

"They're hard to find. Every now and then TJ Maxx has a collection on sale. I've also seen some at Burlington Coat Factory. Most of them you have to order online."

She said specialty stores in the South carry them, with the matching outfits and accessories. When she travels and sees a fabulous hat, she buys it.

"I'm so proud to keep our tradition going."

Thank you for posting this and I hope you know that I didn't mean any disrespect. Karma to you.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/21/09 at 4:39 pm

did B-Huss save us yet? i thought he was going to save us.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/09 at 4:40 pm

I asked Carlos something similar to that when I woke up this morning.

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/21/09 at 5:07 pm

Maybe next year, I think he's working on it, or so I hope.

Written By: Jessica on 01/21/09 at 5:15 pm

Very very true.  On Sunday mornings around here, you can see the African American community dressed to the nines, on their way to church.  Everything about them is impeccable. 

It brings to mind my best friend's grandmother, who would get all dressed up on Sunday for church, and woe to her grandchildren if they didn't have their asses out of bed and properly attired in time. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 5:34 pm

Very very true.  On Sunday mornings around here, you can see the African American community dressed to the nines, on their way to church.  Everything about them is impeccable. 

It brings to mind my best friend's grandmother, who would get all dressed up on Sunday for church, and woe to her grandchildren if they didn't have their asses out of bed and properly attired in time. ;D

ooooh yeah.  Going to church we had to have a nice hat and white gloves. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/21/09 at 5:35 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/15/obama.family/index.html

I like this article.  I think Obama will definitely be an inspiration :)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 5:38 pm

I was not questioning why she was wearing a hat but the fact that her hat was a bit distracting. But you answered my question.

Thank you for posting this and I hope you know that I didn't mean any disrespect. Karma to you.

Cat

No problem, it is just making fun of Arethas', or any African American womans'  good hat could cause race riots and unhealable wounds in race relations.    ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/21/09 at 5:47 pm

No problem, it is just making fun of Arethas', or any African American womans'  good hat could cause race riots and unhealable wounds in race relations.    ;D

Speaking of fashion, has anyone else noticed how African American women can pull of looks that would be otherwise outlandish on any other race? Take Aretha's hat, for example.  I thought it looked great on her and was just right for the Queen of Soul, but could you imagine Laura Bush in something like that? :P

I have seen ladies in my neighborhood wearing bright solid colors and looking friggin' fantastic, but I know damned well I could NOT pull off that look, no matter how much I tried. :D

*edited to add:*

Another example would be the dress and coat ensemble that Michelle Obama wore yesterday.  The color set off her skin tone beautifully, but if anyone paler were to wear it, they'd look sallow and gross.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/21/09 at 7:23 pm

I was watching the reruns today and all i could think of is how amazing it is that at such hard times all the world stopped to see the inauguration. I don't remember ever being like this. We know Obama can't fix it all but being able to move people this way is something so admirable, so beautiful that we can't help but be hopeful.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/09 at 8:19 pm

What if Obama had shown up with saggy pants and a sideways baseball cap?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/09 at 9:25 pm

Cat

She's the Queen of Soul, what were people expecting, a Amish milkmaid bonnet?
:D

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/09 at 9:39 pm

She's the Queen of Soul, what were people expecting, a Amish milkmaid bonnet?

I guess some people were not ready for her jelly.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/09 at 9:42 pm

I guess some people were not ready for her jelly.  ;)

I'm not sure I want to know what you mean...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/09 at 10:12 pm

I was watching the inaugural balls tonight and I found them quite fascinating.

Some balls were held for charity, and some for fancy dress.

But the ones that were held for pleasure were the balls that I liked best.  8)

Obama's got the biggest balls of them all!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/09 at 6:09 am

What if Obama had shown up with saggy pants and a sideways baseball cap?  ;D

oooooh you are treading dangerous ground.  Comparing a stylin' hat to ghetto drawers.  Don't make me come there and slap the sass out of you.... ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/09 at 6:10 am

I was watching the reruns today and all i could think of is how amazing it is that at such hard times all the world stopped to see the inauguration. I don't remember ever being like this. We know Obama can't fix it all but being able to move people this way is something so admirable, so beautiful that we can't help but be hopeful.

It was sort of like this with Kennedy, but not to this degree.  Of course in those days you didn't have the technology to do it the way it is done now.

Written By: philbo on 01/22/09 at 6:19 am

Obama's got the biggest balls of them all!

Sounds like an AC/DC parody to me..

Well he's upper-upper class White House resident
Newly-elected US president
At his inauguration, the crowd, well, wasn't small
And now he's gone and thrown the biggest party balls of all

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/09 at 12:12 pm

Sounds like an AC/DC parody to me..

Well he's upper-upper class White House resident
Newly-elected US president
At his inauguration, the crowd, well, wasn't small
And now he's gone and thrown the biggest party balls of all

Or how about a parody of

We're movin' on up, to the east side....

I'll leave the parodies to the parody makers.  ;)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/09 at 12:44 pm

oooooh you are treading dangerous ground.   Comparing a stylin' hat to ghetto drawers.  Don't make me come there and slap the sass out of you.... ;D

;D

A friend and I were joking about this the other night.  What if Obama arrives at the first staff meeting dressed as a stereotypical African dictator in red-green-black garb with a gold-hilted sabre at his waist and flanked by Fruit of Islam guys:
"OK, now here's what's gwan happen.  No more o' dis sh*t!"

Written By: philbo on 01/22/09 at 12:58 pm

Or how about a parody of

Don't know that one, I'm afraid

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/22/09 at 1:01 pm

Or how about a parody of

I'll leave the parodies to the parody makers.  ;)

Cat

Here's one I made up.

http://amiright.com/parody/60s/peterpaulandmary50.shtml

I hope you like it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/09 at 1:08 pm

I remember my univerisity's Republican newspaper, "The Minuteman," published a photo of George and Louise on the back page of the paper with the theme song lyrics as a tribute to--I'm not kidding--"The black entrepenurial spirit in America when it is set free of from the Democrat's welfare state."  Never mind "The Jefforsons" was a sit-com created by their Hollywood liberal nemisis Norman Lear, who founded the liberal activist group "People for the American Way."

That was the same Semester The Minuteman published an article declaring the KKK was not such a bad organization in the early days; they were there to protect the South from the white Northern carpetbaggers, that's all.  And there were even black members.
Again, I'm not kidding!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/09 at 2:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRXCCS0tZ7g&feature=related

Cat

Written By: gemini on 01/26/09 at 8:22 pm

Hahaahahahahahahahahaha.  I was just coming on here to type somewhere, "OMG OBAMA IS PRESIDENT!!!!!!  SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEAL!!!!!"

Or something to that effect. :D

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc312/heatherdriver/obama.jpg

Since I wasn't here, can I just add. . . . . . YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!    http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luxhello.gif

Written By: nally on 01/27/09 at 1:12 am

Here's one I made up.

http://amiright.com/parody/60s/peterpaulandmary50.shtml

I hope you like it.

Seems like that one wasn't very well liked (or well paced); it didn't get many good votes. :-\\ I'm not too familiar with the OS myself, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...