» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Caroline Kennedy - Dillitante

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/09 at 9:02 pm

Just saw on the news wires that Caroline Kennedy is withdrawing her bid for a Senate appointment because Uncle Ted is sick.

What a crock.  Either she is (a) Lying and was told there was no way in hades she was gonna get the job, or (b) She is a dillitante who would abandon her "call to service" because Uncle Teddy got sick.

Either way is fine with me.  She had no business in the job anyway.  Plenty of better Dems who would have actually taken the job seriously.

Subject: Re: Caroline Kennedy - Dillitante

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/09 at 9:15 pm

I'm hearing conflicting reports, but I'll be she'll drop out.

I wasn't enthused about Caroline's candidacy myself.  She was anything but qualified.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/09 at 7:04 am

I was more than disappointed with her when she went after the senate seat.  She doesn't really deserve it, so I am glad she is out of the race.  I think she was told that it wasn't going to happen and was given a graceful way out.  I also think that with Ted being more and more ineffective she would have been chewed up and spit out once she lost his protection.

Written By: La Roche on 01/22/09 at 2:39 pm

I was more than disappointed with her when she went after the senate seat.  She doesn't really deserve it, so I am glad she is out of the race.  I think she was told that it wasn't going to happen and was given a graceful way out.  I also think that with Ted being more and more ineffective she would have been chewed up and spit out once she lost his protection.

I'm just agreeing with you all over the place today.

One certainly gets the impression that she knew she couldn't win (or somebody that had her ear did).

Max's point stands, she's anything but qualified.

Too many Kennedys already!

Written By: Macphisto on 01/22/09 at 7:09 pm

Given the fact that Ted is the only Kennedy who hasn't died young during a political career, maybe Caroline doesn't like to test fate.

Written By: La Roche on 01/22/09 at 11:22 pm

Given the fact that Ted is the only Kennedy who hasn't died young during a political career, maybe Caroline doesn't like to test fate.

ZING!

Unfortunate the Ted is the only one that really deserved to. Really.. being the optimum word.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/23/09 at 10:28 am

She's as qualified as anyone who wants to run for Senate.  Most people who run for senate are either attorneys or have a Masters and beyond in Political Science.  Is she less qualified by a Kennedy standard?  Perhaps it's just the fact that no one wants another Kennedy.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/09 at 11:46 am

She's as qualified as anyone who wants to run for Senate.  Most people who run for senate are either attorneys or have a Masters and beyond in Political Science.  Is she less qualified by a Kennedy standard?  Perhaps it's just the fact that no one wants another Kennedy.

I don't have a problem with her qualifications and I haven't any qualms about her running for the office, but being appointed to the position ahead of people who have been working in the sector is a whole different thing.  It seems to me that Gillibrand is from the same sort of political inner circle, but at least she has cut her teeth in the political arena making it a much more appropriate choice as a walk in.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 12:07 pm

I'd rather have Caroline in there than some dirty crook.  She doesn't seem like a nefarious individual, mind you.  There's talk of skeletons in her closet, but anybody who has reached the age of fifty with no skeletons, as it were, probably hasn't lived much of an active life. 

However, her ambition here seemed opportunist.  She didn't work her way up from the minor leagues nor was she throwing her hat in the ring for a race the voters would decide.  She's good-looking and charming and she's JFK's daughter.  If her name was Caroline Smith and she was a millionaire socialite from the Upper West Side, people would just say, "Who the hell does that lady think she is?"

Written By: La Roche on 01/23/09 at 1:37 pm

Perhaps it's just the fact that no one wants another Kennedy.

That's my reason for just about everything.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 2:38 pm

That's my reason for just about everything.

Don't worry.  Once Teddy's gone, the Kennedy family will fade into the background, like the Roosevelts. 

They'll pop up in public life from time to time.  For instance, Mark Roosevelt ran for Governor of Massachusetts in 1994.  I voted for him, but he got trounced by Bill Weld.  I see the same kind of political future for the Kennedys and I certainly hope the Bushes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/09 at 7:02 pm

She hasn't paid any dues.  She did not want to dirty her hands by actually running a campaign.  She wanted a coronation.

Hey if she wants to RUN FOR OFFICE when the special runoff election is held, fantastic.  Maybe the New Yorkers will vote her in.

Kudos to the Governor for kicking her to the curb, in favor of somebody who has actually been in the political arena and has subjected herself to election process sometime in her career.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/23/09 at 9:27 pm

I'd rather have Caroline in there than some dirty crook.  She doesn't seem like a nefarious individual, mind you.  There's talk of skeletons in her closet, but anybody who has reached the age of fifty with no skeletons, as it were, probably hasn't lived much of an active life. 

However, her ambition here seemed opportunist.  She didn't work her way up from the minor leagues nor was she throwing her hat in the ring for a race the voters would decide.  She's good-looking and charming and she's JFK's daughter.  If her name was Caroline Smith and she was a millionaire socialite from the Upper West Side, people would just say, "Who the hell does that lady think she is?"

Ah yes, the Snow White of politics.  What political ambition doesn't have a hint of opportunism.  If it doesn't you get no where.  As for the Kennedy name if it's going to be a curse it should have some blessing.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/23/09 at 9:28 pm

She hasn't paid any dues.  She did not want to dirty her hands by actually running a campaign.  She wanted a coronation.

Hey if she wants to RUN FOR OFFICE when the special runoff election is held, fantastic.  Maybe the New Yorkers will vote her in.

Kudos to the Governor for kicking her to the curb, in favor of somebody who has actually been in the political arena and has subjected herself to election process sometime in her career.

Yes, I know she hasn't gone through the hazing.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/23/09 at 9:33 pm

Well, she's at least as qualified as Hillary was anyway.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/23/09 at 10:12 pm

Hilllary would tell you being First Lady is a qualification. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/09 at 2:16 pm

Hillary at least got herself elected by the people, and that was after the people had subjected her to considerable scrutiny.

Now, I am not a Hillary supporter at all, my opinion, she has no business being Secretary of State.  And Obama is going to ultimately find that Hillary is loyal to how she looks politically more than she is too seeing the President's policies through.  But I have to give her props that when she became senator from New York, she ran a campaign and was chosen by the people, and after having been scrutinized heavily.

Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg has NOT been under political scrutiny and quite frankly has had nowhere near the experience in the political arena (elected or sidelines) that Hillary Clinton had.  She's intentionally spent her life in the shadows and that's not what we want in a politician (at least not what I want).

There is simply no comparison of qualifications between Kennedy and Clinton.  Hillary Clinton, hands-down, had vastly more experience and "street cred" when she was running for office than Caroline Kennedy has ever dreamed of having.  If Governor Paterson had made that appointment, it would have been a colossal insult to some great Democratic politicians who have actually done some good, and worked hard to do it.  The Guv did the right thing in rejecting Kennedy's frivolous request.

Check for new replies or respond here...