» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Should Congress/Obama Go After Bush's Crimes?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/09 at 2:17 pm

I think they should. I understand how some feel that it is a time to move on-and in a sense I agree with that. However, if they don't, it sets a precedence that future presidents are above the law. The law is for ALL not just for some. I remember as a kid, I asked my mother what would happen if the president robbed a bank. She told me that he would go to jail. In this case, I want my mother to be right.

Your thoughts? Comments?

Cat

Subject: Re: Should Congress/Obama Go After Bush's Crimes?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/09 at 2:36 pm

I' not sure on this one, even though I think they have acted way beyond the pale, I can see how this could evolve into a scenario of each successive administration looking to find reasons to punish the administration before it. 

Written By: La Roche on 01/22/09 at 2:38 pm

I' not sure on this one, even though I think they have acted way beyond the pale, I can see how this could evolve into a scenario of each successive administration looking to find reasons to punish the administration before it. 

Megadittoes.

Let's close that book already.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/22/09 at 4:12 pm

I think Obama's doing enough to reverse all of Bush's executive orders.  He seems to be taking the high road, so to speak.

Written By: Tia on 01/22/09 at 4:21 pm

i voted yes although i'd almost rather a multinational organizatino of some kind or even another country would do it. i think it's probably true that we've got too many problems here right now to fuss with the media circus such a thing would become.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/22/09 at 4:27 pm

Not now,give it some time to build a great case. I can see it happen in 10 years or so, the fair trial they don't deserve will hopefully bring justice for all.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/22/09 at 5:57 pm

I don't think congress would go that route... because most of the so-called "crimes" of the Bush administration were approved by...guess who?  congress!

But I suppose if they really like shooting themselves in the foot...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/09 at 6:06 pm

I don't think congress would go that route... because most of the so-called "crimes" of the Bush administration were approved by...guess who?  congress!

But I suppose if they really like shooting themselves in the foot...

Indeed, this is a problem.  Congress--both houses and both parties--were complicit in the crimes of the state.  Scott Ritter warned us about this seven years ago.  Ritter suggested we vote for no one who voted for the Iraq war.  He was right.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/22/09 at 7:06 pm

Putting Bush in jail won't improve the economy.

Written By: Tia on 01/22/09 at 7:19 pm

Putting Bush in jail won't improve the economy.
actually, to the extent a big part of the problem is the perception of lack of accountability, it MIGHT help the economy by restoring faith in the system.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/09 at 7:31 pm

actually, to the extent a big part of the problem is the perception of lack of accountability, it MIGHT help the economy by restoring faith in the system.

If Nixon had gone to prison, it might have sent a message to young Cheney and young Rumsfeld.  Prosecuting Dubya and sending him to the cooler might send the savage 30-something crooks in the justice department an important message.  Better late than never.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/22/09 at 7:43 pm

I think Max's rationale is stronger.  While it would set a good precedent, I think Obama and Pelosi should focus on finding ways to fix the economy without spending trillions.

If there's anything the Democrats should do, it should be cutting spending rather than increasing it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/09 at 7:56 pm

I think Max's rationale is stronger.  While it would set a good precedent, I think Obama and Pelosi should focus on finding ways to fix the economy without spending trillions.

If there's anything the Democrats should do, it should be cutting spending rather than increasing it.

If only--Oh, if only--we were spending trillions to fix the economy.  Instead, we're giving Wall Street crooks astronomical sums of funny money and the economy continues to slide down the commode!  Spending is not the problem here, guaranteed-to-lose bail-out policies are.  It's like blowing your grocery money on a three-card monte scam...and then next week blowing it again in the same three-card monte scam before you even get to the supermarket!
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 01/22/09 at 8:07 pm

If only--Oh, if only--we were spending trillions to fix the economy.  Instead, we're giving Wall Street crooks astronomical sums of funny money and the economy continues to slide down the commode!  Spending is not the problem here, guaranteed-to-lose bail-out policies are.  It's like blowing your grocery money on a three-card monte scam...and then next week blowing it again in the same three-card monte scam before you even get to the supermarket!
::)

I'm very much against bailouts as well.  I just think that the government isn't going to solve this through spending more but rather by spending less and paying down the national debt.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/22/09 at 9:06 pm

Should FDR?

Because FDR sent Japanese, Germans, and Italians to Concentration Camps....Okay, I'm a President Historical nerd! ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/22/09 at 9:54 pm

Easier said than done. :-\\  Yeah, I think he, Cheney and Condi, and Rummy should stand trial.

Written By: La Roche on 01/22/09 at 11:21 pm

Easier said than done. :-\\  Yeah, I think he, Cheney and Condi, and Rummy should stand trial.

For what though, unpopular choices? Signing off on legislation that Congress passed? The outgoing administration did plenty of things that angered me just what is 'illegal' and merely 'immoral' is exceedingly difficult to determine. Not only that though, but in such a large bureaucracy, there can be a run-around involving plausible deniability that would last decades. Is that honestly what America needs right now? A long drawn out case of pass the buck? Best to just leave a small group as the presumed bad guys instead of shattering what little faith there is left in all the branches of government.

Pass the buck to Roger Clemens, he's a big enough man to shoulder the whole nation's burden.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 1:21 am

Should FDR?

President Roosevelt no longer dines here.  He's dead, sir.

Written By: Davester on 01/23/09 at 7:35 am

President Roosevelt no longer dines here.  He's dead, sir.

Beside's...the apology checks have already been cut!  My gf's father displays his check, proudly, on the wall in a nice cherry frame for his comfortable stay at Topaz Mountain Health Spa..!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/23/09 at 10:12 am

For what though, unpopular choices? Signing off on legislation that Congress passed? The outgoing administration did plenty of things that angered me just what is 'illegal' and merely 'immoral' is exceedingly difficult to determine. Not only that though, but in such a large bureaucracy, there can be a run-around involving plausible deniability that would last decades. Is that honestly what America needs right now? A long drawn out case of pass the buck? Best to just leave a small group as the presumed bad guys instead of shattering what little faith there is left in all the branches of government.

Pass the buck to Roger Clemens, he's a big enough man to shoulder the whole nation's burden.

Permission to use torture and outsourcing it to places like Saudi Arabia and Syria was never in bill form. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/23/09 at 11:52 am

I'm not sure.  On the one hand, justice demands that the big 4 at least, Bush, Cheney, Rummy and Gonzales stand trial for numerous high crimes and etc.

But doing so would alienate the few moderate repugs in congress and make things much more difficult for Obama.  So I guess its a choice between justice and pragmatism. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/23/09 at 12:10 pm

I'm not sure.  On the one hand, justice demands that the big 4 at least, Bush, Cheney, Rummy and Gonzales stand trial for numerous high crimes and etc.

But doing so would alienate the few moderate repugs in congress and make things much more difficult for Obama.  So I guess its a choice between justice and pragmatism. 

Don,

I mentioned this earlier, but if Bush and his cabinet would stand trial...then it would be only fair to have FDR tried too if he's still around.

Because FDR had concentration camps for Japanese-Americans who weren't terrorists. So if FDR was president now...he would be in trouble.

And I have a few Arab-American friends. If I saw them in Guantanamo...I would be up in arms and wish that Bush would be imprisoned.

But as a Lutheran Protestant...Bush and his cabinet will be judged by a bigger judge, bigger than any judge you'll ever hear about, and his name is Jesus.

I'm not being a preacher here, I'm just saying that I will be judged too. So will Clinton. And so will Obama.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/09 at 1:34 pm

Don,

I mentioned this earlier, but if Bush and his cabinet would stand trial...then it would be only fair to have FDR tried too if he's still around.

Because FDR had concentration camps for Japanese-Americans who weren't terrorists. So if FDR was president now...he would be in trouble.

And I have a few Arab-American friends. If I saw them in Guantanamo...I would be up in arms and wish that Bush would be imprisoned.

But as a Lutheran Protestant...Bush and his cabinet will be judged by a bigger judge, bigger than any judge you'll ever hear about, and his name is Jesus.

I'm not being a preacher here, I'm just saying that I will be judged too. So will Clinton. And so will Obama.

First of all, his name is NOT Don-it's CARLOS!!!! Don is his title as in "Sir"-or in Carlos' case Dr.-yes, he is a doctor as in PhD.

Second, like people have mentioned FDR is no longer around. While it was a black spot in American History, however the government made reparation to those involved.

In 1988, Congress passed and President Ronald Reagan signed legislation which apologized for the internment on behalf of the U.S. government. The legislation stated that government actions were based on "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership". About $1.6 billion in reparations were later disbursed by the U.S. government to surviving internees and their heirs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

There have been so many crimes that the Bush Administration have committed-some against the Geneva Conventions and others against the Constitution.

Others have made good arguments why they shouldn't be tried, however, I do believe that this NEEDS to be done so that future presidents will not think that the laws of this land doesn't apply to them. 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 2:40 pm

First of all, his name is NOT Don-it's CARLOS!!!! Don is his title as in "Sir"-or in Carlos' case Dr.-yes, he is a doctor as in PhD.

Oh, I thought he was calling Carlos "don" the way you might address Mr. Cleveland as "Hey, mister!"
;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/23/09 at 3:17 pm

Second, like people have mentioned FDR is no longer around. While it was a black spot in American History, however the government made reparation to those involved.

In 1988, Congress passed and President Ronald Reagan signed legislation which apologized for the internment on behalf of the U.S. government. The legislation stated that government actions were based on "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership". About $1.6 billion in reparations were later disbursed by the U.S. government to surviving internees and their heirs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

There have been so many crimes that the Bush Administration have committed-some against the Geneva Conventions and others against the Constitution.

Others have made good arguments why they shouldn't be tried, however, I do believe that this NEEDS to be done so that future presidents will not think that the laws of this land doesn't apply to them.   

Cat

Cat,

I was actually referring to Carlos as Don, like Don Corlleonne (He IS the Don here) so that's how I was referring to it.

And I'm sorry that I was acting like Rush Limbaugh here. But I don't know jack about the Geneva Convention and The Constitution has been eroding for 100 years and in a way...Bush did take the Constitution for granted.

So it looks like our opinions has clashed. I hope it doesn't tarnish our blogging ans stuff. :\'(

Oh, I thought he was calling Carlos "don" the way you might address Mr. Cleveland as "Hey, mister!"
;D

Like I said...I was using Don as in a way you talk to the head guy in the mafia.

And IMO, if you want to be in the mafia, be a politician!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/09 at 3:18 pm

;D

You could be right. It is just one of my pet peeves. Of course I don't mind people calling him "THE Don".  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/09 at 4:15 pm

The Constitution has been eroding for 100 years

I wouldn't say that.  The fact that I can vote, own property, go to school, and my child cannot be sold away from me says different

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/09 at 4:50 pm

I wouldn't say that.  The fact that I can vote, own property, go to school, and my child cannot be sold away from me says different

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/applause.gif

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 9:24 pm

I don't think he meant to say what it sounds like he meant to say, but what he meant to say, I'm not sure...
???

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/24/09 at 12:57 pm

I would say that the constitution has eroded quite a bit under Bush, which is why he should be prosecuted.  The fact that other presidents may have also played fast and loose with it is no excuse.  Certainly Reagan did (I refer to Iran/Contra), which some scholars claim was worse than Watergate.  And in both of those cases, heads rolled, Haldeman and Erlichman both served some jail time if memory serves, as did Poindexter, or was he pardoned?  In any case, it's not the jail time that is really important, but the acknowledgment of criminality.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/09 at 5:31 pm

I would say that the constitution has eroded quite a bit under Bush, which is why he should be prosecuted.  The fact that other presidents may have also played fast and loose with it is no excuse.  Certainly Reagan did (I refer to Iran/Contra), which some scholars claim was worse than Watergate.  And in both of those cases, heads rolled, Haldeman and Erlichman both served some jail time if memory serves, as did Poindexter, or was he pardoned?  In any case, it's not the jail time that is really important, but the acknowledgment of criminality.

Carlos,

This is what I'm talking about! Some people's opinions on what Bush did was wrong. One time, Bush said that The Constitution was "A Goddamn piece of paper". Either he was in a bad mood that day and didn't mean it, but that's the kind of sheesh that usually is said behind closed doors now gets bled. His Homeland Security worked TOO well....At least for Bush!

Back in 1913, Woodrow Wilson criticized The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. He was also considered a fascist.

Here's where you can read more about it. http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:EZB3SJDdbyoJ:conservativecolloquium.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/woodrow-wilson-americas-worst-and-first-fascist-president/+woodrow+wilson+unconstitutional+president&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&client=firefox-a (Warning: You may disagree)!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/09 at 6:47 pm

Carlos,

This is what I'm talking about! Some people's opinions on what Bush did was wrong. One time, Bush said that The Constitution was "A Goddamn piece of paper". Either he was in a bad mood that day and didn't mean it, but that's the kind of sheesh that usually is said behind closed doors now gets bled. His Homeland Security worked TOO well....At least for Bush!

Back in 1913, Woodrow Wilson criticized The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. He was also considered a fascist.

Here's where you can read more about it. http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:EZB3SJDdbyoJ:conservativecolloquium.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/woodrow-wilson-americas-worst-and-first-fascist-president/+woodrow+wilson+unconstitutional+president&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&client=firefox-a (Warning: You may disagree)!

What does Woodrow Wilson, FDR or anybody else have to do with holding the Bush Administration accountable for THEIR actions-NOT any other Administration?

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/09 at 7:06 pm

What does Woodrow Wilson, FDR or anybody else have to do with holding the Bush Administration accountable for THEIR actions-NOT any other Administration?

Cat

To make it less complicated...History repeats itself!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/09 at 7:40 pm

To make it less complicated...History repeats itself!

Which is why Congress/Obama should hold the Bush Administration accountable.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/09 at 8:49 pm

Cat

Okay, now I may be sounding like the people who you were with when you were at the town organization (The one with the Clergy).

So I'll just do this.... :-X

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/25/09 at 12:56 pm

Okay, now I may be sounding like the people who you were with when you were at the town organization (The one with the Clergy).

What?

You seem to be saying that since other admins have broken the law it's ok that bush did.  Other people have committed murder, so I guess I can too.  Sounds like a morality of convenience to me.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/09 at 1:30 pm

What?

You seem to be saying that since other admins have broken the law it's ok that bush did.  Other people have committed murder, so I guess I can too.  Sounds like a morality of convenience to me.

What Bush did was wrong.
What Clinton did was wrong.
What Reagan did was wrong.

Whether it was about sex, drugs, violence, or what should be personal but it winds-up exposed.

What we are doing here is what is called "Freedom of Speech". My opinions may be WAY more different than yours, but your opinion should be spoken.

And I may be outspoken.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/09 at 1:57 pm

What Bush did was wrong.
What Clinton did was wrong.
What Reagan did was wrong.

Whether it was about sex, drugs, violence, or what should be personal but it winds-up exposed.

What we are doing here is what is called "Freedom of Speech". My opinions may be WAY more different than yours, but your opinion should be spoken.

And I may be outspoken.  :-\\

You have every right to disagree or agree with anyone on this board, but your posts doesn't seem to make any sense to the argument you are trying to make.

This post just totally baffles me.

It has nothing to do with your position on the issue but how you present it.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/09 at 3:05 pm

You have every right to disagree or agree with anyone on this board, but your posts doesn't seem to make any sense to the argument you are trying to make.

This post just totally baffles me.

It has nothing to do with your position on the issue but how you present it.

Cat

That's the problem with my autism....I know the stuff...but I don't at the same time.  :-\\

Written By: joeman on 01/25/09 at 3:28 pm

I think they should. I understand how some feel that it is a time to move on-and in a sense I agree with that. However, if they don't, it sets a precedence that future presidents are above the law. The law is for ALL not just for some. I remember as a kid, I asked my mother what would happen if the president robbed a bank. She told me that he would go to jail. In this case, I want my mother to be right.

Your thoughts? Comments?

Cat

Yes

Written By: ADH13 on 01/26/09 at 3:27 pm

Cat

I think what he's trying to say is that its doubtful that there has been any president in history who never broke rules.  To set a precedent of prosecuting and impeaching over every decision we don't like, given the split of values in this country, would be an absolute nightmare for every administration to follow.  Obama wants to undo the gay marriage bans on a federal level - does that mean christians should prosecute him because the constitution says marriage is a man and a woman?  That's equally absurd.

Cat

And give a free pass on those things congress approved, that you feel were illegal?  Or are you expecting that congress will prosecute their own decisions?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/26/09 at 4:02 pm

I think what he's trying to say is that its doubtful that there has been any president in history who never broke rules.  To set a precedent of prosecuting and impeaching over every decision we don't like, given the split of values in this country, would be an absolute nightmare for every administration to follow.  Obama wants to undo the gay marriage bans on a federal level - does that mean christians should prosecute him because the constitution says marriage is a man and a woman?  That's equally absurd.

And give a free pass on those things congress approved, that you feel were illegal?  Or are you expecting that congress will prosecute their own decisions?

Obama can't undo anything on a federal level by himself, he has the Legislative branch to deal with.  By the way are you speaking for every Christian? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/09 at 4:28 pm

I'm not talking about decisions that were made that I dislike, I am talking about obvious violations of the Constitution-like illegal wiretapping. And just because Congress gave him a free pass STILL does not make it right. But yet, it is ok to impeach someone for lying about getting a bj which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

And can you show me where in the Constitution it says that marriage is between a man and a woman? 

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 01/26/09 at 4:28 pm

Obama can't undo anything on a federal level by himself, he has the Legislative branch to deal with.  By the way are you speaking for every Christian? 

No I'm not speaking for every Christian... I'm not even a Christian myself.  Hypothetical only.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/26/09 at 4:31 pm

I'm not talking about decisions that were made that I dislike, I am talking about obvious violations of the Constitution-like illegal wiretapping. And just because Congress gave him a free pass STILL does not make it right. But yet, it is ok to impeach someone for lying about getting a bj which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Cat

I agree that the Clinton impeachment thing was ridiculous too.  The fact that congress approved things may or may not make them legal but the point I am getting at is that since they DID approve them they would be just as guilty as the Bush administration, no?

And can you show me where in the Constitution it says that marriage is between a man and a woman? 

I'll go dig through it and find it, but considering that even the left acknowledges that permitting gay marriage would involve an amendment (which I'm not against, btw) makes me quite certain its there. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/26/09 at 4:49 pm

Cat

There we go...the wiretapping part!

Back in the 50's, Congress (I believe) wanted to wire-tap many people because of the Cold War. And many celebrities such as Frank Zappa was afraid of wire-tappers during the 60's.

The Clinton BJ was more than a BJ, but I'll get back to you on that one. ;)

And the marriage between man and woman came from the Mormon scare since that was becoming a big religion since many men married many woman, which is polygamy. That's why it became law to have one man and one woman.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/27/09 at 12:05 pm

There we go...the wiretapping part!

Back in the 50's, Congress (I believe) wanted to wire-tap many people because of the Cold War. And many celebrities such as Frank Zappa was afraid of wire-tappers during the 60's.

The Clinton BJ was more than a BJ, but I'll get back to you on that one. ;)

And the marriage between man and woman came from the Mormon scare since that was becoming a big religion since many men married many woman, which is polygamy. That's why it became law to have one man and one woman.

No, congress did not authorize wire tapping, the FBI and the CIA did it, and other invasions of privacy surreptitiously.  They both also used agents provocateur to induce dissidents to break the law in one way or another.  I once wrote to the FBI requesting my file under the freedom of information act.  They said I didn't have one.  I wrote back telling them that they were falling down on the job since I'm a dangerous radical.  Sure enough, I have a file, which includes some candid photos of me in Chile.

The religious sanction of marriage is ancient, and as far as I'm concerned, religious groups have the right to refuse gay marriage.  But marriage is also a concern of the state, since there are state sanctioned benefits to being married, taxes and stuff.  So to deny those benefits on the basis of sexual orientation between consenting adults is a civil matter, with each state having its own rules.

The only constitutional issues comes up because each state must recognize what any other state sanctions.  Marriage itself is not mentioned in the constitution, at least the federal one.  You might stretch a point and say it is implied in the declaration of independence though, ie pursuit of happiness.   

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/27/09 at 12:52 pm

^You're from Chile, or did you visit there? (Because then I can understand your political opinions better).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/09 at 1:13 pm

^You're from Chile, or did you visit there? (Because then I can understand your political opinions better).

I can't speak for Carlos, but back in the seventies the Pinochet government was doing atrocious things down there and it was the United States government effort spear-headed by Henry Kissinger that helped them do it.  I don't know if I would have the cajones to go into a country under such a regime.

On the other hand, my favorite serpent of Eden, Thomas Friedman was on Press the Meat last weekend doing his best Dean Wormer impression, "One more 9/11 attack, just one more like that, and that's the end of the open society as we know it!"  So, such a regime might come to me!  But Obama wouldn't let nothing like that happen, would he?
:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/09 at 1:31 pm

He is from New Jersey (but his mother is from Puerto Rico). He spent about a year in Chile working on his doctorate. 

I can't speak for Carlos, but back in the seventies the Pinochet government was doing atrocious things down there and it was the United States government effort spear-headed by Henry Kissinger that helped them do it.  I don't know if I would have the cajones to go into a country under such a regime.

He left Chile a few months before the coup in 1973. A little less than 10 years ago, we went down to D.C. to the National Achieve to do research on how the U.S. (specifically Henry Kissinger) helped orchestrate the coup. We found a lot of interesting stuff.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/27/09 at 1:33 pm

ah yes, good old thomas "suck on this" friedman.

i hate to sound complacent or overly sanguine but i seriously doubt there will be another attack on the US on the scale of sept 11. they had this mad science idea to fly planes into buildings and timed it out so that the cameras would be rolling, and they were "lucky" enough to have both towers collapse on live television... i simply have no idea how a bunch of guys who generally fight by strapping homemade bombs onto the backs of donkeys are going to top that.

interesting story, apparently AQ terrorists are dropping dead overseas of black plague. something like that, a bio attack with infectious disease, might inspire as much fear as sept 11 but even that wouldn't be as intense, i don't think.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/27/09 at 1:41 pm

He is from New Jersey (but his mother is from Puerto Rico). He spent about a year in Chile working on his doctorate. 

He left Chile a few months before the coup in 1973. A little less than 10 years ago, we went down to D.C. to the National Achieve to do research on how the U.S. (specifically Henry Kissinger) helped orchestrate the coup. We found a lot of interesting stuff.

Cat

Okay...now I'm understanding where your opinions lay now. Because I'm just getting lectures from my father and he's confusing me!

Why can't I be opinionated? Maybe if I move...

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/09 at 6:54 pm

Here, Here! http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/oddsey/Smiley%20GIFs/Applause.gif

From the campaign... in case you missed it...

Whoopi & John McCain after he says he wants to return to the constitution...

1 minute clip

extended version of same clip

2 1/2 minute Clip

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/09 at 7:11 pm

Just weighing my 2 cents here... I think... MrCleavland... that you're trying to use the past to justify the present...

Yes you can compare Gitmo to Manzanar....et al... neither was right but- just because someone did something 50 years ago does not make it right to do it now...  We cannot erase what FDR did but we can learn from it. 

Going after Clinton? That was a farce... a bunch of hypocrites trying to hide their own sexual misconduct by going after someone else...
its like the bullies in the school yard...maybe they won't notice what's wrong with me if I pick on someone else first. If I can get everyone to
focus over there then they won't be looking at me... ...  (speaking of which Ted Haggard is on Oprah tomorrow if anyone cares)

Okay...now I'm understanding where your opinions lay now. Because I'm just getting lectures from my father and he's confusing me!

If your father is your only source of knowledge then you seriously need to expand your research.. I'm not saying you can't believe what you do or feel what you feel but you might want to get some real hard facts- something other than I know this because my father told me about it... that will not fly here...these people are too smart and too well versed in the political arena....that's why I usually stay out of here...

Carry on! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/09 at 7:15 pm

I'll go dig through it and find it, but considering that even the left acknowledges that permitting gay marriage would involve an amendment (which I'm not against, btw) makes me quite certain its there. 

Have you found the passage yet?

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/28/09 at 6:43 am

Ending slavery took a war, a proclamation and an amendment.  :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/28/09 at 11:29 am

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I came to my opinions through lots of reading, thinking, debating etc.  I went to Chile to do research for my dissertation, which is on the 19th century and British "informal" imperialism.  It was an interesting time there.

Why can't you be opinionated?  Who's stopping you?

Written By: Tia on 01/28/09 at 11:35 am

i for one am tempted to try.  ;D

sorry, couldnt resist.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/28/09 at 2:24 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I came to my opinions through lots of reading, thinking, debating etc.  I went to Chile to do research for my dissertation, which is on the 19th century and British "informal" imperialism.  It was an interesting time there.

Right now...I'm bugged at my old man!

It seems that I'm always taking my work home!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/28/09 at 7:55 pm

Some consolation....They are calling in Rove about the firing of the US attorneys.  A federal judge said that his immunity doesn't apply in this case.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/28/09 at 8:14 pm

Some consolation....They are calling in Rove about the firing of the US attorneys.  A federal judge said that his immunity doesn't apply in this case.

I don't think his "immunity" was ever really legal.  They just didn't get law enforcement to take him into court.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/09 at 8:29 pm

My fantasy is for the cops to walk right in on Hannity's show and arrest Rove on national TV; that would be a gas!
;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/28/09 at 9:40 pm

My fantasy is for the cops to walk right in on Hannity's show and arrest Rove on national TV; that would be a gas!
;D

Therefore the end of Sean's show.  Oh well, I'll exchange Hannity for Young Turks having a prime time show anyday.

Written By: Tia on 01/28/09 at 10:03 pm

Therefore the end of Sean's show.  Oh well, I'll exchange Hannity for Young Turks having a prime time show anyday.
TYT is awesome. (although he irritates me when he goes on his spamting celebrity women thing.) i subscribed to them just about a week ago.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/28/09 at 10:27 pm

TYT is awesome. (although he irritates me when he goes on his spamting celebrity women thing.) i subscribed to them just about a week ago.

So I guess you heard their you tube account has been suspended.  Narrow minded conservatives complained.  I'm going to look into their website.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/29/09 at 4:07 pm

So I guess you heard their you tube account has been suspended.  Narrow minded conservatives complained.  I'm going to look into their website.

YouTube is failing because of Viacom.

Fudge you Viacom!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/09 at 5:50 pm

Why did YouTube suspend their account, was it some trumped up copyright violation charge?  On YouTube conservatives bitch at liberals and liberals bitch at conservatives all the time, like anywhere else.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/29/09 at 9:35 pm

YouTube is failing because of Viacom.

Fudge you Viacom!

and Warner Brothers

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/29/09 at 9:37 pm

Why did YouTube suspend their account, was it some trumped up copyright violation charge?  On YouTube conservatives bitch at liberals and liberals bitch at conservatives all the time, like anywhere else.

Not quite sure exactly what happened.  Don't think it was copyright though.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/30/09 at 9:40 am

and Warner Brothers

WB is making YouTube fail too?

Written By: Tia on 01/30/09 at 9:52 am

actually, TYT does leave themselves pretty vulnerable to that. they lift clips and photos all the time and i doubt the buy the rights. not sayin' it's right, just expected, and it's not necessarily right-wing persecution, though i wouldn't be surprised.

there are a lot of other video hosting sites out there, youtube should be careful, they might find themselves with some competition.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/31/09 at 7:43 pm

WB is making YouTube fail too?

WB is starting to take everything off that's associated with them.

Check for new replies or respond here...