» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Politics in the Grocery Line

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/09 at 2:06 pm

So today I am in the grocery line, waiting my turn to check out and get my stuff.

This guy in front of me looks over the magazine rack and sees a People Mag, the one that has Obama and his wife on the cover.  From the picture you would think it was Brad & Angelina or something but hey that's business, they gotta sell magazines.

Anyway, the guy in front of me looks at the mag and then with some disdain, takes all of the People mags and turns them backwards so the pic of the O'Bamas is facing inwards.  As we would say here in Picksburgh, "what a jag off".  ::)

Mind you I am not an Obama voter, but this guy clearly was being a wanker.  I reached over to the magazine rack and arranged the People Mags back to the way they were supposed to be.  I was just waiting for this clown to get up in my face, but it appears that he could only get up the courage to turn magazines backwards today.  ;D

Subject: Re: Politics in the Grocery Line

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/09 at 4:35 pm

Ruff Tuff Cream Puff    ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/09 at 4:50 pm

You're a real rotten guy, LB!  Elmer Fudd finally screwed up the courage to make his big political statement, and you had to go and wreck it for him!
>:(

One time some crunchies gave me dirty looks at the Whole Foods check-out because they had a mag called "HIV+ Expectant Mother" and I says, "Hey, now there's a niche market!"

I dunno, I guess I don't really go to hole foods to shop, more to see which cashier has the best facial tattoo!
:P

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/09 at 5:36 pm

So today I am in the grocery line, waiting my turn to check out and get my stuff.

This guy in front of me looks over the magazine rack and sees a People Mag, the one that has Obama and his wife on the cover.  From the picture you would think it was Brad & Angelina or something but hey that's business, they gotta sell magazines.

Anyway, the guy in front of me looks at the mag and then with some disdain, takes all of the People mags and turns them backwards so the pic of the O'Bamas is facing inwards.  As we would say here in Picksburgh, "what a jag off".  ::)

Mind you I am not an Obama voter, but this guy clearly was being a wanker.  I reached over to the magazine rack and arranged the People Mags back to the way they were supposed to be.  I was just waiting for this clown to get up in my face, but it appears that he could only get up the courage to turn magazines backwards today.  ;D

Here's where I don't like Obama...people think he can walk on water, turn water into wine, or heal me from my autism.

Four years later...many people will want Obama crucified.

I only voted for Obama in hope...for many disappointments in many Obamanians.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/09 at 5:47 pm

Here's where I don't like Obama...people think he can walk on water, turn water into wine, or heal me from my autism.

Hey, maybe he IS the second coming of the Messiah after all!  ;D ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/24/09 at 7:16 pm

My wife does that with the Ann Coulter books at Costco, although in her defense, Ann Coulter is an evil succubus who makes conservatives look really really bad :P

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/09 at 7:53 pm

No they don't

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/24/09 at 8:16 pm

Hey, maybe he IS the second coming of the Messiah after all!   ;D ;D

LyricBoy, you are on roll these days :D

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/09 at 8:25 pm

So you dislike Obama because people think he's the Messiah? ???

Yeah, I turn all the Ann Coulter books over because I can't stand her ugly gap toothed trailer park discount whore face.  I did it today and a Costco worker was standing a few feet down arranging the books.  Even she didn't change them back the right way when she got to that section. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/09 at 9:24 pm

don't let my avatar fool you.... Obama is a man. He has fallacies like everyone else...but he still runs rings around bush in the smarts department!

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/09 at 9:39 pm

For Jess:

Prelude to Ann C's appearance its edited a bit but the message remains intact....the idiot just hears what they want to hear.
Ann C. on the View

the best part of this is...the person who posted these clips is an Ann C supporter...so you can also get your kicks bashing them and ann in the same breathe!  ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 01/25/09 at 12:16 am

don't let my avatar fool you.... Obama is a man. He has fallacies like everyone else...but he still runs rings around bush in the smarts department!

Well said, Q.

MrCleveland, I'm not the most eloquent member here, but allow me to give it a shot.  You might find some people who think that he can perform miracles or whatever, but most of us live in the real world and know that what took 8 years (and with some of our current problems even more than that) to destroy/wreak havoc on will take more than a few days or months to try to fix.  Plus, we also realize that he has to work with the same congressmen/women that Bush did (for the most part) and that many of these have been in office longer than I have been alive.  That is where we can use some real change.  Anyway, like Q said, we know he is as human as we are and will make mistakes.  But it is hard to imagine that he could make things any worse than they already are.  Who knows if he will even be able to accomplish what needs to be done in 4 years---but at least he is willing to do his best to fix what's wrong and I for one am ready to stand behind him and applaud his efforts.  They are predicting Michigan's depression (let's not even play with semantics and just call it what it is) will take at least 3 years (probably more) to turn around.

Written By: snozberries on 01/25/09 at 12:23 am

Well said, Q.

MrCleveland, I'm not the most eloquent member here, but allow me to give it a shot.  You might find some people who think that he can perform miracles or whatever, but most of us live in the real world and know that what took 8 years (and with some of our current problems even more than that) to destroy/wreak havoc on will take more than a few days or months to try to fix.  Plus, we also realize that he has to work with the same congressmen/women that Bush did (for the most part) and that many of these have been in office longer than I have been alive.  That is where we can use some real change.  Anyway, like Q said, we know he is as human as we are and will make mistakes.  But it is hard to imagine that he could make things any worse than they already are.  Who knows if he will even be able to accomplish what needs to be done in 4 years---but at least he is willing to do his best to fix what's wrong and I for one am ready to stand behind him and applaud his efforts.  They are predicting Michigan's depression (let's not even play with semantics and just call it what it is) will take at least 3 years (probably more) to turn around.

^ also well said...

here's the thing that annoys me... and I'm going to use the Hasslebeck as an example because- well she's the only republican I 'know' I can attack without getting a full frontal attack back  ;)

For the last year Elisabeth keeps talking about all the "good" Bushy has done for the country. People keep pressing her for examples and she  always answers "He kept us safe from another terrorist attack"

hmmm didn't 9/11 happen on HIS watch? Where was his protection before 9/11? or on 9/11.  Seriously- what has he protected us from? And other than the other attempt on the WTC in 1990 (ish) have there been other attacks in the US that I'm unaware of? 

Oklahoma doesn't count that was a US on US crime  ;)

Written By: Davester on 01/25/09 at 12:34 am

After eight years of Duby you gotta expect people to be a little edgy...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/09 at 1:15 am

Sounds like a problem with the people who like Obama rather than Obama himself. 

I see what you're saying with hyperbole, a lot of his supporters project their deepest wishes upon the man and they're bound to be disappointed.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/25/09 at 5:49 am

For the last year Elisabeth keeps talking about all the "good" Bushy has done for the country. People keep pressing her for examples and she  always answers "He kept us safe from another terrorist attack"

The bushies thrived on unproven negatives. "If Gore had won it would have been worse"  "If Kerry had won it would have been worse"  "If Clinton had done more it wouldn't have happened". If, if, if.  All fingers pointing out.  Even his last press whine  "I came in with a deficit and I am leaving with a deficit".  He still doesn't get it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/25/09 at 8:52 am

Perhaps we need a remake to the theme song from "Shaft", dedicated to President O'Bama.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 01/25/09 at 9:35 am

Perhaps we need a remake to the theme song from "Shaft", dedicated to President O'Bama.   ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WjhTf1BkEA

but of course

Written By: statsqueen on 01/25/09 at 11:32 am

"I came in with a deficit and I am leaving with a deficit". 

I am asking this as a legitimate question, not to be a smart***.  My memory sucks, so I am hoping (and I know) one of you can tell me the answer:

We had a budget surplus at one time.  The problem is, I can't remember when.  I am not asking this as a Democrat trying to prove a point, because I really don't remember if it happened under a Dem or Rep president.  Just goes to show that, just like it's easier to gain weight than lose, it is easier to go through money than save it.  What blows my mind is that we are talking about going from whatever the surplus was to now having a deficit in the trillions--how did it happen?  I can't even conceive how much that is....or how the gov't can get away with it.  I get a notice from my bank telling me I've been slapped with a $25 overdraft fee if I overdraw my account by even a penny.

Written By: karen on 01/25/09 at 11:41 am

According to this site there was a budget surplus from 1998 to 2001.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/25/09 at 11:46 am

Thanks, Karen!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/09 at 11:48 am

I am asking this as a legitimate question, not to be a smart***.  My memory sucks, so I am hoping (and I know) one of you can tell me the answer:

We had a budget surplus at one time.  The problem is, I can't remember when.  I am not asking this as a Democrat trying to prove a point, because I really don't remember if it happened under a Dem or Rep president.  Just goes to show that, just like it's easier to gain weight than lose, it is easier to go through money than save it.  What blows my mind is that we are talking about going from whatever the surplus was to now having a deficit in the trillions--how did it happen?  I can't even conceive how much that is....or how the gov't can get away with it.  I get a notice from my bank telling me I've been slapped with a $25 overdraft fee if I overdraw my account by even a penny.

It's all about power.  This is power money we're talking about when you get into the hundreds of millions and billions.  Corporations can take their business elsewhere and cost your district or your state thousands of jobs if they don't get what they want.  

I've called my bank and had them forgive overdraft fees.  They figure I won't always be broke and maybe if they're pricks to me when I am, I'll take my business elsewhere when I'm not.  

Political power in the financial/business economy is like that on a massive scale.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/09 at 11:50 am

You know what the answer is:  9/11, 9/11, 9/11!
::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/25/09 at 12:09 pm

Yes, Clinton left office with a budget surplus, and the debate was over how fast to pay down the national debt.  Bush's tax cut and the  wars in Iraq and Afghanistan eliminated the surplus and brought us these huge deficits.

Written By: snozberries on 01/25/09 at 12:22 pm

The bushies thrived on unproven negatives. "If Gore had won it would have been worse"  "If Kerry had won it would have been worse"  "If Clinton had done more it wouldn't have happened". If, if, if.  All fingers pointing out.  Even his last press whine  "I came in with a deficit and I am leaving with a deficit".  He still doesn't get it.

oh see I missed the speech...did he really say that? What a tool!

Written By: Jessica on 01/25/09 at 12:31 pm

Well said, Q.

I rarely give karamel, but this totally deserves it. :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/09 at 1:37 pm

Yes, Clinton left office with a budget surplus, and the debate was over how fast to pay down the national debt.  Bush's tax cut and the  wars in Iraq and Afghanistan eliminated the surplus and brought us these huge deficits.

The only other President to have a surplus was...Harry Truman. And before Truman, FDR had a very big deficit.

I'm not making arguments, I'm talking about history!

Written By: ADH13 on 01/25/09 at 2:05 pm

The media does tend to overdo things in a bad way.  I have a co-worker who changes the radio station when they start talking about Obama.. not that he has anything against Obama (I think he voted for him) but he's just so sick of hearing about it by now.  So I guess he might also be tempted to turn a magazine around. 

I think alot of us get burned out on hearing the same things over and over - with no new news, just different "experts" trying to analyze every detail.  You can tell the media is rather desperate for things to report when they are focused on Michelle's outfit or what breed of dog the Obama's may choose for a family pet. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/09 at 3:06 pm

The media does tend to overdo things in a bad way.  I have a co-worker who changes the radio station when they start talking about Obama.. not that he has anything against Obama (I think he voted for him) but he's just so sick of hearing about it by now.  So I guess he might also be tempted to turn a magazine around. 

I think alot of us get burned out on hearing the same things over and over - with no new news, just different "experts" trying to analyze every detail.  You can tell the media is rather desperate for things to report when they are focused on Michelle's outfit or what breed of dog the Obama's may choose for a family pet. 

It seems that now if Obama takes a sheesh, they'll want to savor the moment. (The media that is).

Written By: snozberries on 01/25/09 at 3:08 pm

It seems that now if Obama takes a sheesh, they'll want to savor the moment. (The media that is).

the media is always waiting for anyone famous to fall on their face....that's their bread and butter!

Check for new replies or respond here...