» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Sigue Sigue Omid: Iranians achieve orbital capability

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/04/09 at 12:01 am

(In the same way as Tom Lehrer once said "Once all the Germans were warlike and mean, but that couldn't happen again/We taught them a lesson in 1918, and they've hardly bothered us since then)

Dude!  What's a golden one-liner like that doing in an Iraq thread, and with such an interesting timestamp?  (Must be one of them coincidences, but I'll give passing thanks to our guys with the eyes in the skies anyways. :)

You too may be a big hero,
Once you’ve learned to count backwards to zero.
“In German oder English I know how to count down,
Und I'm learning ChineseFarsi, said Werner von Braun!
  - Tom Lehrer, 1965, for those who don't get the joke.

To the Iranians:  Enjoy your newfound dual-use capabilities, but remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  That said, space is open to all, and congrats on achieving orbit.  Welcome to the big leagues.  Don't screw it up. 

Subject: Re: Sigue Sigue Omid: Iranians achieve orbital capability

Written By: philbo on 02/05/09 at 10:20 am

It's scary how much of Tom Lehrer's 40-year-old satire is still relevant.

To the Iranians:  Enjoy your newfound dual-use capabilities, but remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  That said, space is open to all, and congrats on achieving orbit.  Welcome to the big leagues.  Don't screw it up. 

WHS

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/06/09 at 8:59 pm

What to do?  Let's claim dominion over all outer space then shoot the f**ker down!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hal.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/26/09 at 2:13 am

Aaw, surprise, surprise, you screwed it up.

So the important question for both sides must ponder:  "So, what's the rest of the world gonna do about it?"

Guess we find out in a year or two, after Iran ~looking into crystal ball~ stalls the IAEA inspectors for six months, ignoring dozens of Sternly Worded Letters from the UN, and uses either the Qom site - or some third site that we might not know about - to finish the breakout process and conduct their first successful test.  The frustrating part of this is that turning a few tons of natural uranium into LEU that's suitable only for reactors, constitutes around 95% of the work towards doing something Very Naughty. The depressing part of it is that in a "breakout" scenario, everyone's got plausible political deniability until the big kaboom.  In the case of Japan, the world's OK with that risk.  In the case of Iran, not so much.

The more time that passes, the more I'm convinced that Iran's government is controlled by the sort of men who just want to watch the world burn.

Written By: philbo on 09/28/09 at 5:27 am

The more time that passes, the more I'm convinced that Iran's government is controlled by the sort of men who just want to watch the world burn.

I hope they realize they're not going to get the chance to watch.. having said that, they may well believe they'll get the chance to watch from Heaven.. stupid ****ing idiots.

Check for new replies or respond here...