» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cheney warns of catastropic terrorist attack

Written By: Brian06 on 02/04/09 at 7:30 pm

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18390.html

Still fear mongering to no end Cheney is warning of a "catastrophic nuclear or biological attack" because he says Obama "is more interested in protecting the rights of terrorists than protecting America". The GOP won't give up pushing the whole terrorist boogeyman thing, it's all they got left I guess. This guy is an evil evil man that should be locked up, you can see the evil in his stare.

Subject: Re: Cheney warns of catastropic terrorist attack

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/04/09 at 8:14 pm

Well the terrorists certainly are not the bogeyman.  Just ask anybody who used to work for Cantor Fitzgerald.

Written By: adagio on 02/04/09 at 10:03 pm

terrorists...nice?  Gimmee a break!  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/04/09 at 10:05 pm

You know, Dick, coming from you, it's starting to sound more like a threat than a warning.  I think it's time to book you a room in Gitmo!

>:(

Written By: adagio on 02/04/09 at 10:22 pm

Please listen to this...it's riveting, long but worth it.

http://multimedia.heritage.org/content/wm/Lehrman-092706a.wvx

Written By: danootaandme on 02/05/09 at 7:55 am

You know, Dick, coming from you, it's starting to sound more like a threat than a warning.  I think it's time to book you a room in Gitmo!

My thoughts EXACTLY.  The way he said it made me believe that he had already arranged it, or was in the process of arranging it.  Now, for the first time I have started taking seriously the thought that the WTC was been allowed to happen for political gain. 

Written By: Tia on 02/05/09 at 8:08 am

the heritage foundation is a far-right-wing political consulting/PR firm. nuff said. although i may listen to this at work today if i have time.

Written By: philbo on 02/05/09 at 10:16 am

That was really rather chilling - that he called it "recidivism", when given that nobody in Guantanamo had actually been convicted of anything shows how little he thinks of the judicial process.  You could argue that his figures meant that nearly 90% of the people locked up weren't terrorists in the first place, but the smug prat doesn't seem to want to admit that he might just have been wrong all along.

Personally, I think he *should* be locked up for five years, "waterboarded" and generally abused, then released without any charge or apology - after all, he's done more to harm more people than any of the alleged terrorists locked up in Guantanamo.

Written By: adagio on 02/05/09 at 11:11 am

The speaker grew up in that environment, 'nuff said.

Philbo...you too?  :(

Written By: Tia on 02/05/09 at 11:21 am

Philbo...you too?   :(
so did that baby-incubator chick from kuwait in 1991. she was brought to us by PR firm hills and knowlton. These ad agencies actually actively cook this stuff up out of whole cloth to justify defense contracts. it's a matter of public record.

i mean, come on, our defense budget (under obama!) is going to be 500 BILLION dollars next year. NOT including iraq and afghanistan. if that's not going to make us "secure" in the process of bankrupting the nation, exactly how much money does the defense department need? i'm really baffled by this.

could it possibly be that spending half a trillion dollars a year to create orphans and widows in the middle east is acutally making us LESS secure, not more, and torturing people on top of it isn't going to help? i understand being frightened of boogeymen but abandoning american ideals to try and torture and kill our way to security is not going to work, in my opinion.

Written By: Tia on 02/05/09 at 11:28 am

i'm listening to it right now, so far it's coming off as an anti-muslim screed.

Written By: Tia on 02/05/09 at 11:43 am

love the taxi driver story around 18 minutes in. boy those arabs sure are a bunch of filthy lying thieves! but the jews are self-less, godfearing people.

freakin' religion, i swear.  ::) dig how she disguises her racism in terms like "the essential difference in culture between the israeli and palestinian people." when plainly what she's saying is that the israelis are inherently, genetically and racially superior to arabs.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/05/09 at 12:17 pm

So I don't have to listen to it right?  :D

Written By: Tia on 02/05/09 at 12:20 pm

So I don't have to listen to it right?  :D
it's okay. most of her jokes about operation iron fist kinda fall flat. she's hot, though.

i got about 20 minutes in and decided to go with 'wait, wait don't tell me' instead. the arab-israeli conflict makes me kinda psycho, i need to just not go there. carrie fisher dishing about star wars gossip = WIN! grueling stories about decapitations and war crimes used to justify torture and collective punishment = LESS WIN!

Written By: Jessica on 02/05/09 at 12:30 pm

Didn't even watch it.  When the title of it starts out, "Because they hate:" and then mentions Islam, I have no interest because I know it's going to be a bunch of fearmongering bullsh*t.

And if you really think about it, you can exchange Islam in that title for just about every religion out there and then give examples of what they have done.  I highly doubt the Heritage Foundation would give a talk about Christianity and their own brand of terrorism, though.

Written By: adagio on 02/05/09 at 12:38 pm

The Heritage Foundation didn't give the talk, their invited guest did.

She also talks about the moderate Muslims in this speech.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/05/09 at 12:38 pm

Didn't even watch it.  When the title of it starts out, "Because they hate:" and then mentions Islam, I have no interest because I know it's going to be a bunch of fearmongering bullsh*t.

And if you really think about it, you can exchange Islam in that title for just about every religion out there and then give examples of what they have done.  I highly doubt the Heritage Foundation would give a talk about Christianity and their own brand of terrorism, though.

Come on, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!  :o

Written By: Jessica on 02/05/09 at 12:43 pm

The Heritage Foundation didn't give the talk, their invited guest did.

She also talks about the moderate Muslims in this speech.

But would they invite someone to talk about both the good and bad points of Christianity?  Or even Judaism?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/05/09 at 12:43 pm

EXACTLY!

I am so sick of Muslim-bashing I can't stand it.  Most Muslims are decent, normal people.  It's the extremists that are scary.  Just like you have to be afraid of the Christian extremists.  Or Jewish extremists.  Or any extremists for that matter.  It boggles my mind that people don't understand that.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/05/09 at 12:58 pm

EXACTLY!

I am so sick of Muslim-bashing I can't stand it.  Most Muslims are decent, normal people.  It's the extremists that are scary.  Just like you have to be afraid of the Christian extremists.  Or Jewish extremists.  Or any extremists for that matter.  It boggles my mind that people don't understand that.

Tell it like it is!!  I am with you. 

Written By: philbo on 02/05/09 at 1:53 pm

Philbo...you too?   :(

Me too?

Do you mean you'd rather have a government that locks people up for years without putting them on trial?  ..not forgetting that while doing that, they're lecturing other countries on human rights.

The potential danger these people pose is trivial in the grand scheme of things, and I for one wouldn't like to be in a country where the rights of hundreds are ignored because of a huge bout of scaremongering.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/05/09 at 2:30 pm

Come on, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!  :o

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!! :D

But seriously...is Cheney still in a wheelchair? If not, he should (I'm sorry, I just don't like Cheney).

Written By: Tia on 02/05/09 at 2:30 pm

this is not an argument!
is too!
is not!
is too!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/05/09 at 4:36 pm

Philbo...you too?   :(

Any person of the Islamic faith who is doing stuff for the Heritage Foundation is being paid for effect.  Nothing more scary than a Muslim saying "be afraid, be very afraid" to a bunch of Republican trying to keep up the "war on terror" propaganda.

Written By: Tia on 02/05/09 at 4:40 pm

Any person of the Islamic faith who is doing stuff for the Heritage Foundation is being paid for effect.  Nothing more scary than a Muslim saying "be afraid, be very afraid" to a bunch of Republican trying to keep up the "war on terror" propaganda.
i think she said she was christian. which is even better, she has all these stories of being a christian in 1970s-era lebanon, which was evidently a rising western cosmopolitan metropolis until all those dirty muslims came in and started car-bombing everything. at least according to her account.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/05/09 at 4:44 pm

i think she said she was christian. which is even better, she has all these stories of being a christian in 1970s-era lebanon, which was evidently a rising western cosmopolitan metropolis until all those dirty muslims came in and started car-bombing everything. at least according to her account.

That even worse.  Pure Heritage Foundation propaganda. 8-P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/05/09 at 4:45 pm

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!! :D

But seriously...is Cheney still in a wheelchair? If not, he should (I'm sorry, I just don't like Cheney).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/rushour/spanish-inquisition-04.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/05/09 at 9:46 pm

That lady's a spitting cobra.  I've seen her on C-SPAN and won't watch her again any more than I'd drop a cinder block on my foot.
She just wants to bed Sean Hannity, that's all!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...