» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: White Pride? You've Got to be Kidding Me.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/09/09 at 2:14 pm

I recieved this email today:

Proud to be White-------that is okay!!!!!!!

Someone finally said it... How many are actually paying attention to this? There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, AsianAmericans, Arab Americans, etc.

And then there are just Americans.  You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,'  'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... and that's OK.

But when I call you, ******, Kike, Towel head, Sand-******, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink .. You call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you... so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United Negro College Fund. You have Martin Luther King Day.

You have Black History Month. You have Cesar Chavez Day.

You have Yom Hashoah. You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.

You have the NAACP. You have BET... If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists. If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' OUR, lives we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce.   Wonder who pays for that??

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships ...You know we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US .  Yet if there were 'White colleges' That would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights.  If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it.  But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud... But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists??

There is nothing improper about this e-mail.

We won't stand up for ourselves!  That's why we have lost OUR RIGHTS in this country.

BE PROUD TO BE WHITE!

It's not a crime yet ... but getting real close!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashley here:

Let's just say I blew a gasket.

I replied to all - including the boss of the person that sent it to me.  This was my reply:

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

There is a very good reason that we have things like the NAACP, and Miss Black America.

They are things like the Ku Klux Klan, and Jim Crow.

They are things like lynch mobs, and places like the Hotel Utah that refused to give Nat King Cole a room.

When I receive emails like this, I have to wonder if the authors are imbeciles, or just the biggest hypocrites on the face of the earth.  Because I have a really hard time believing that whoever it is that wrote this has ever once been called a “White boy,”  “Cracker,”  “Honkey,”  “Whitey,” or a “Caveman.”

And let me just say for the record, that if you use words like ******, Kike, Towel head, Sand-******, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink, that you are, indeed, a racist.  And a pretty sorry excuse for a human being on top of it.

It’s pretty late in the 20th century for this kind of thinking.  And it’s pretty pathetic that people are still forwarding this disgusting piece of trash email around.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

The thing is though, I couldn't be less proud of being white.  Look at what white people have done to America.  The treatment of Native Americans?  Slavery?  Segregation?  The internment of Japanese people during WWII?  And people are actually PROUD of being WHITE?  Are you kidding me?

I can understand being proud to be Swiss or British, but White?  That's just insane!

Subject: Re: White Pride? You've Got to be Kidding Me.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/09/09 at 2:15 pm

The word that is ****** out is the N-word.  Just so there isn't any confusion.

Written By: Jessica on 02/09/09 at 2:28 pm

I've already told you my thoughts on the "proud to be white" thing, but I'll repeat it.

No one, NO ONE, in this country is truly white, so to have someone discriminate against a different ethnicity is just ludicrous.  There has been so much mixing of ethnicities that you'd think racism would be a moot point by now.

Furthermore, what constitutes "white"?  That is a question that has always bothered me.  Anyone have a good definition of it?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/09/09 at 2:49 pm

I'm yellow.

I think the point they were trying (and failing) to make is that there's a double standard in racial perceptions, which I agree with in a sense but that joke wasn't really that funny and made me think that whoever wrote it wasn't all that intelligent to begin with.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/09 at 4:30 pm

having launched into a diatribe a few weeks ago regarding reverse sexism i guess i have to justify to myself now why i don't think reverse racism tends to be nearly as egregious. whenever i hear people bemoaning reverse racism they say things like, "how come black people get to call each other but I don't get to say ?" to which the immediate response that springs to my mind is, why do you WANT to use the N-word?  ??? but that signals a difference i've seen generally between the proponents of what the e-mailer in question might call "reverse racism" and what constitutes reverse sexism: usually black activists seem to favor appropriation of once-racist terms or the establishment of alternative black-centric organizations/institutions/etc. to make up for their hsitorical absence in caucasian-centric society. (there's something about the decrying of "black history month" when we don't have a white history month that reminds me of the old saw: SON/DAUGHTER: "if we have a mother's day and a father's day, how come we don't have a kid's day?" PARENT: "because every day is kid's day, you little sheesh.")

reverse sexism seems to take a different tack, from what i can tell. i havent really seen many black activists advocate that they should be able to make jokes about lynching white people, for instance, because such jokes against black people were once considered sort-of acceptable. with people who advocate reverse sexism, there's a lot more defense of literal verbal attacks against men as justified because historically jokes belittling women have been considered acceptable. from what i've seen of black activism it really wants to rise above the rancor of the past, whereas reverse sexists are much more concerned with reprisals, and with adopting the attitude of paleo-chauvinists and simply directing it against men rather than women.

that said, i think white guilt should be avoided too. folks (white folks, typically) who say 'i'm not really crazy about white people because they propagated slavery and jim crow" and so forth could maybe use a boost of self-esteem: viewing white people monolithically, or imagining you're culpable for crimes of the past because you share the race of the perpetrator, is kinda ... i dunno, kinda misses the point of striving to transcend racial stereotype, if you ask me. folks shouldn't stereotype themselves by race any more than they should stereotype others by race.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/09 at 5:22 pm

As I posted earlier, David Duke reared his stupid head again, and the "White Pride" thing is just the same.  The people who go on about "White Pride" might seem like racists, but don't let that fool you -- they really are racists!
::)

Racial jealousy of this sort is more dangerous in times of economic peril than in times of prosperity.  Nowadays so many people are scared and hurting...and they're afraid to admit they are feeling so.  Anger and finger-pointing feel like more powerful outlets for the fright inside.  Hate-mongers know it.  Us guys gotta stick together 'cos those guys are taking over!  It is much better for the ruling classes to keep the working classes fighting amongst one another.  Keep them fighting about skin color, ancestry, God, and who was here first! 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_porc.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/09/09 at 6:24 pm

I had a "white Pride" dufus tell me where he came from (Austin Texas) my kind would be lynched.  I asked him what my kind is.  His response was"I don't know but you're not white".  Geez, remind me to say up north.

Written By: EthanM on 02/09/09 at 6:34 pm

Why would anyone want yom hashoah? Does this person even know what that is?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/09/09 at 6:48 pm

Wow, *Ash* you are the agent provocateur du jour.

Quite frankly I never understood the whole "pride" thing from any angle.  I was born Catholic, but I am not "proud" of it.  I am Irish, but I am not "proud" of it.  By saying not "proud" I so not mean that I am ashamed either.  These are conditions of circumstance.  What's there to be "proud" of?  They were not my decisions, were not of any doing by me.

I am proud of the hard work I do.  I am proud to help my friends.  But those are things that I have done, my accomplishments.  So yeah, I have pride in those things.

But I need to watch that pride.  You know, pride is one of the Seven Deadlies...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/09/09 at 6:51 pm

Why would anyone want yom hashoah? Does this person even know what that is?

No he probably doesn't know what that is.  However with some of the things he said he's a denier.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/09 at 6:56 pm

One thing that I never understood if people are so proud to be white and glad they are not dark skinned (whether it be black, Hispanic or whatever), why do they spend so much time out in the sun trying to get a tan?

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/09/09 at 6:58 pm

One thing that I never understood if people are so proud to be white and glad they are not dark skinned (whether it be black, Hispanic or whatever), why do they spend so much time out in the sun trying to get a tan?

Cat

You have a point there, Cat. 

Kinda like how some ladies will go to the beach in the skimpiest of bikinis, but they would be embarassed to death if anybody sees them in their underwear.   ;D

Written By: Macphisto on 02/09/09 at 7:55 pm

I don't know... that actually made some good points.

Personally, I've always liked the following quote:  "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Either you're American, or you aren't.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with not being American, but the hyphenated thing is just lame.

We're a melting pot, and occasionally, we seem to forget that.

So, you should be free to be proud of being white, black, yellow, or whatever else, but ultimately, American is what you should be if you live here.  That's equality.

Yes, there are historical contexts to consider.  Yes, many of us have personal traditions that draw from other countries.  Still, it's the Constitution that makes all this possible.  Without the Bill of Rights, it would all be inconsequential.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/09/09 at 8:09 pm

I am white, and I'm not proud.....

I'm embarrased, the e-mail that you got, illustrates just why exactly I'm NOT proud to be white.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/09/09 at 8:16 pm

I agree, I am also proud of my hard work, helping friends and family, and accomplishments.

The whole "white pride" thing?  I'm not proud of it. 

The Ku Klux Klan, are nothing but a bunch of idiots, with too much time on their hands, ditto with Neo Nazis.

Proud of the things that they have done and stood for?

Not by along shot.

Written By: La Roche on 02/09/09 at 8:59 pm

NSFW.

Clayton speaks.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/chappelles-show-kkk-blackmaster/3907642761

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/09 at 9:38 pm

Quite frankly I never understood the whole "pride" thing from any angle.  I was born Catholic, but I am not "proud" of it.  I am Irish, but I am not "proud" of it. 

Aye, a proud son of Erin!  Top o' da marnin' to ye!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

Up here there's more Irish chauvinism than a leprechaun can wave a wand at!  I'm only about 20% Irish, but I've got an Irish surname, and the "we-hate-the-Puerto-Ricans" Irish-American a-holes are none the wiser.  Uh, I mean, I got no PR, mostly WASP, which used to worse!

Written By: statsqueen on 02/09/09 at 9:40 pm

We're a melting pot, and occasionally, we seem to forget that.

The only reason I picked Macphisto's reply to respond to is so I could respond to a specific comment that was made.  The rest of my comments are meant to be general opinion, not to target another specific individual's post.

My high school history teacher (HS was quite a few years ago, just to give you some idea as to how long this has stayed with me) once told us that while America has always been referred to as a melting pot, it is something of a misnomer.  Think about it, melting pot implies that we all melt to a homogenous group...but look around, it isn't so.  We still have a rainbow of color around us, various cultural ideals that have withstood immigration to this country and have woven themselves into our national fabric.  Instead, she told us to look at America as a salad bowl.  You can pick out various cultures by physical attributes, but we all help to create something better as a whole than the individual parts.

Ok, now for some general remarks.  I hope these are even somewhat coherent (I'll try) but this is a topic I am very passionate about so sometimes my fingers go faster than my brain.

I agree that the things we should be proud of are those things that we have a hand in accomplishing...whether by ourselves or as a part of a larger group.  Test score reflects the hours you spent studying?  Be proud!  Your child makes the honor roll or helps the team win the game?  Be proud!

I, myself, am more embarrassed than proud of my color, because of the way other cultures have been treated at the hands of whites in this country.  Did I have anything personally to do with it?  Absolutely not, but it doesn't change anything.  And since I don't know anything about my ancestors, I have no way of knowing if any of them were ever abusers of others or abused at the hands of others.

At any rate, why does anyone want to begrudge African-Americans or Native-Americans or Women a month out of the calendar to celebrate achievements made by their ethnicity or gender?  Every day of every year is "White History Month"----White men control this country (yes, even with an African-American president, who I am happy to see in office)--it's still Congress and SIGs that run things though---and those are run by old rich white guys for the most part.  Think back to your high school history book.  How many pages were devoted to slavery?  The Trail of Tears?  The Asian-American internment camps?  How old were you when you learned that an African American invented the stop light?  peanut butter?  did the first successful open heart surgery?  I was in college!  COLLEGE!  I should have learned about that and so much more in high school.  Every ethnicity has figures that have accomplished wonderful things....but when do we hear about them?  Remember, history is written by the victors.

Cat had a great point, too.  White people (overgeneralizing warning here!) spend time in the sun, tanning beds, etc., emulate/idolize gangsta rappers...you get the idea.

Ok, so my train of thought got completely derailed, so I'll end.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/09/09 at 10:38 pm

Although I despise racism and discrimination whoever it's directed at, I do think there's a slight double standard in that it's considered okay (or at least not nearly as bad by comparison) to call white people "honkey" or "cracker" for instance. I've heard skinheads or KKK-type idiots say this attitude was part of the reason they became racist or don't like non-whites, so it's destructive both ways. Even though it's pretty intense, the movie American History X is really eye opening for stuff like this.

I've heard people make the argument about "blacks have black pride, so what's wrong with saying I'm proud to be white". Even though I can kinda vaguely see their point, there's a valid reason for that. They're minorities, especially in the old days before, like the mid-late '60s...so they have more of a reason to be upset about that or to have things set aside for them. I think racism is born out of the negative stereotypes of any ethnic group or the extreme 10% (like gangs and drive-bys or poverty) where people base it only off of that and don't bother to get to know anyone of a certain race.

I can honestly see both sides of the issue though. What's really sad is usually both sides have some good points, but overall I wish we could all get along. :)

Written By: Jessica on 02/09/09 at 10:41 pm

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/Funny/l_62736d86605894517cda6d28b48b57b8.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/09/09 at 10:49 pm

I'm Jewish and have some gay traits, I'm about half of that. ;D

On a serious note though, racism is not only stupid but ignorant because if you go far back enough in everyone's bloodline, I bet everyone has some mixed race in them. It seems to me when anyone discriminiates, they're attacking more the stereotype than the person and generalizing a whole group, maybe because they're basing it on a few negative experiences they've personally had.

Written By: philbo on 02/10/09 at 5:02 am

Lots of views to agree with in this thread... damn, we're a nice bunch of people here, aren't we?

Like LyricBoy (and it's not that often I agree with him ;)), I'm white but not proud to be so - it's just something I am.  I don't understand where the pride comes in when it's something that's not anything I actually had a hand in achieving. But...

The Black (& Gay, come to think of it) Pride movement(s) both came out of the same source - a minority that had been systematically suppressed/oppressed over years (more like decades) that needed to find a sense of self-worth.  There is a huge difference between that and the petty bleating of what has been the oppressor whining because they've lost their privileged status.

However, "whitey", "honkey" and other black-on-white racist epithets while not laden with the same baggage as "******" (that is, the n-word) and the like cause far more harm to relations than the users of such words are likely ever to think about - mainly because they give the white racists the "if he says that, I can say this" sort of riposte.  Though that is no excuse: just because someone else has lowered themselves into the gutter doesn't mean you have to follow them down.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/09 at 11:14 am

The Black (& Gay, come to think of it) Pride movement(s) both came out of the same source - a minority that had been systematically suppressed/oppressed over years (more like decades) that needed to find a sense of self-worth.  There is a huge difference between that and the petty bleating of what has been the oppressor whining because they've lost their privileged status.

Exactly Philbo!  Why is that so difficult for some people to understand? 

Quite frankly I never understood the whole "pride" thing from any angle.  I was born Catholic, but I am not "proud" of it.  I am Irish, but I am not "proud" of it.  By saying not "proud" I so not mean that I am ashamed either.  These are conditions of circumstance.  What's there to be "proud" of?  They were not my decisions, were not of any doing by me.

I am proud of the hard work I do.  I am proud to help my friends.  But those are things that I have done, my accomplishments.  So yeah, I have pride in those things.

I agree with this too. 

Agent provocateur du jour huh?  I like it. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/09 at 11:15 am

The only reason I picked Macphisto's reply to respond to is so I could respond to a specific comment that was made.  The rest of my comments are meant to be general opinion, not to target another specific individual's post.

My high school history teacher (HS was quite a few years ago, just to give you some idea as to how long this has stayed with me) once told us that while America has always been referred to as a melting pot, it is something of a misnomer.  Think about it, melting pot implies that we all melt to a homogenous group...but look around, it isn't so.  We still have a rainbow of color around us, various cultural ideals that have withstood immigration to this country and have woven themselves into our national fabric.  Instead, she told us to look at America as a salad bowl.  You can pick out various cultures by physical attributes, but we all help to create something better as a whole than the individual parts.

Ok, now for some general remarks.  I hope these are even somewhat coherent (I'll try) but this is a topic I am very passionate about so sometimes my fingers go faster than my brain.

I agree that the things we should be proud of are those things that we have a hand in accomplishing...whether by ourselves or as a part of a larger group.  Test score reflects the hours you spent studying?  Be proud!  Your child makes the honor roll or helps the team win the game?  Be proud!

I, myself, am more embarrassed than proud of my color, because of the way other cultures have been treated at the hands of whites in this country.  Did I have anything personally to do with it?  Absolutely not, but it doesn't change anything.  And since I don't know anything about my ancestors, I have no way of knowing if any of them were ever abusers of others or abused at the hands of others.

At any rate, why does anyone want to begrudge African-Americans or Native-Americans or Women a month out of the calendar to celebrate achievements made by their ethnicity or gender?  Every day of every year is "White History Month"----White men control this country (yes, even with an African-American president, who I am happy to see in office)--it's still Congress and SIGs that run things though---and those are run by old rich white guys for the most part.  Think back to your high school history book.  How many pages were devoted to slavery?  The Trail of Tears?  The Asian-American internment camps?  How old were you when you learned that an African American invented the stop light?  peanut butter?  did the first successful open heart surgery?  I was in college!  COLLEGE!  I should have learned about that and so much more in high school.  Every ethnicity has figures that have accomplished wonderful things....but when do we hear about them?  Remember, history is written by the victors.

Cat had a great point, too.  White people (overgeneralizing warning here!) spend time in the sun, tanning beds, etc., emulate/idolize gangsta rappers...you get the idea.

Beautiful post, girl.  I couldn't agree more. 

Written By: Gis on 02/10/09 at 11:28 am

Does how you were brought up anything to do with it? I've never concidered anyone less than equal because we were raised to treat everyone with the same respect regardless of race, sex, gender etc.

I do get mad with the extreme forms of 'political correctness' that seem to be taking over, like you can't call Christmas Christmas in case it offends, and a postman is a postperson because the use of 'man' is sexist.
We have an Asian guy at work who is one of the lasiest people I have ever met, but as soon as you pull him up on anything his responce is 'you're only saying that because I'm a muslim' My favourite scene was when he was arguing with an Egyptian guy who also works here, and he used the 'you're only saying that because I am a muslim' line to which Amro roared 'I'm a muslim too you d***head'  ;D

Can't remember who said it, but one of my favourite Hollywood quotes was when asked why British actors are nearly always baddies in films, this producer replied 'They are the only ethnic minority left who we don't have to worry about upsetting' 

*edited to complete the quote because I got sidetracked at work and hit send before I had finished it!* 

Written By: Jessica on 02/10/09 at 12:12 pm

Karma.

On a serious note though, racism is not only stupid but ignorant because if you go far back enough in everyone's bloodline, I bet everyone has some mixed race in them.

Yes, I said that like 24 posts ago. :D

Does how you were brought up anything to do with it? I've never concidered anyone less than equal because we were raised to treat everyone with the same respect regardless of race, sex, gender etc.

This was pretty much how I was raised.  I grew up in a little back alley neighborhood where color didn't matter and it was never brought up.  We all shared houses, food, mothers (our neighbor was like a second mother to me, and took care of me when my mom got really sick after having my sister), clothes, toys, etc.  We had our differences, but that usually rose from some childish slight or something.

Not to say we didn't face discrimination on the whole ethnicity level.  We did, but we were more apt to be called "trash" because of where we lived.  I do have to say this though....when we were treated like crap for our race/ethnicity, it was usually by the affluent Italians in our town.  They were the big cheese because they owned the fields surrounding Castroville and the packing sheds where most of our families worked.  So I really don't know what is up with that, considering we were all treated like crap by white people when we first came to this country.

I do get mad with the extreme forms of 'political correctness' that seem to be taking over, like you can't call Christmas Christmas in case it offends, and a postman is a postperson because the use of 'man' is sexist.

Agreed.  Being PC is good, but some people take it to hella extremes.  However, the email that Ash got was definitely racist and wasn't trying to take down the "extreme PC" crowd.

We have an Asian guy at work who is one of the lasiest people I have ever met, but as soon as you pull him up on anything his responce is 'you're only saying that because I'm a muslim' My favourite scene was when he was arguing with an Egyptian guy who also works here, and he used the 'you're only saying that because I am a muslim' line to which Amro roared 'I'm a muslim too you d***head'  ;D

Oh please tell me what his reaction was to that. ;D

Can't remember who said it, but one of my favourite Hollywood quotes was when asked why British actors are nearly always baddies in films, this producer replied 'They are the only ethnic minority left'

I love the Brits!  I wish I were British. ;D

Written By: Arwen on 02/10/09 at 12:14 pm

Does how you were brought up anything to do with it?

I'm always interested in this question...and I kind of have to say...No...not really.

While of course we are influenced by the way we are raised...I think that it has more to do with a personal choice than anything else…regardless of how you were raised.  I mean…America would still be a land of slavery if everyone just adhered to what values they were raised with…you know?  Someone had to step out from the “norm,” or what was taught to them as being okay…to make anything change.  Someone had to be strong enough to take a look at how things were…and say…”Um…that’s not right.”  And that goes for every positive change that has occurred in the history of the world…not just in regard to race and gender perception.

My mother’s parents, when she was 2 years old, were murdered in their home, by a black man.  This was in Montana…in the 40s…and it was an outrage.  Of COURSE there was an enormous amount of attention paid to the fact that their killer was black.  She was raised by her grandparents, who were VERY prejudiced against black people in general.  And I’m sure that those feelings existed before the murders…but then, of course, the murders didn’t help.  That being said…my mother was raised in an environment that really could have bred a lot of racial prejudice in her mind…and it probably did…up to a point…but I can tell you without a doubt that none of that stayed with her.  I’ve never known a person who is more accepting and loving of people in general…regardless of their race, gender, social standing…whatever.  And her example has influenced me…of course...but I still believe that I could have made a choice not to let it.  She could have been the best example in the world and I could have chosen to be a complete bastard…if I wanted to.  

So…while upbringing can affect a person…and positive influences in our lives are definitely a good thing…our choices are always still our own.  Our attitudes belong to us…our feelings and opinions cannot be blamed on…or credited to…anyone else.  

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/10/09 at 12:16 pm

I love the Brits!  I wish I were British. ;D

Technically, I was British before I became an American citizen :o

Written By: Tia on 02/10/09 at 12:18 pm

Yes, I said that like 24 posts ago. :D
if you look back far enough everyone has mixed posts somewhere in their ancestry.  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/09 at 12:26 pm

I'm always interested in this question...and I kind of have to say...No...not really.

While of course we are influenced by the way we are raised...I think that it has more to do with a personal choice than anything else…regardless of how you were raised.  I mean…America would still be a land of slavery if everyone just adhered to what values they were raised with…you know?  Someone had to step out from the “norm,” or what was taught to them as being okay…to make anything change.  Someone had to be strong enough to take a look at how things were…and say…”Um…that’s not right.”  And that goes for every positive change that has occurred in the history of the world…not just in regard to race and gender perception.

My mother’s parents, when she was 2 years old, were murdered in their home, by a black man.  This was in Montana…in the 40s…and it was an outrage.  Of COURSE there was an enormous amount of attention paid to the fact that their killer was black.  She was raised by her grandparents, who were VERY prejudiced against black people in general.  And I’m sure that those feelings existed before the murders…but then, of course, the murders didn’t help.  That being said…my mother was raised in an environment that really could have bred a lot of racial prejudice in her mind…and it probably did…up to a point…but I can tell you without a doubt that none of that stayed with her.  I’ve never known a person who is more accepting and loving of people in general…regardless of their race, gender, social standing…whatever.  And her example has influenced me…of course...but I still believe that I could have made a choice not to let it.  She could have been the best example in the world and I could have chosen to be a complete bastard…if I wanted to.  

So…while upbringing can affect a person…and positive influences in our lives are definitely a good thing…our choices are always still our own.  Our attitudes belong to us…our feelings and opinions cannot be blamed on…or credited to…anyone else.  

Total karma for this honey!

Written By: Jessica on 02/10/09 at 12:28 pm

if you look back far enough everyone has mixed posts somewhere in their ancestry.  :D

;D

Total karma for this honey!

I second that!

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/10/09 at 12:39 pm

I am 37% WASP (German, Welsh, and British).

I wish there was a month for the Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, and Polish-Americans.

Or...we can send White Baby Boys into the Mississippi River and have them drown (Think of what the Egyptians did to the Israeli Boys at that time)!

Written By: Jessica on 02/10/09 at 12:47 pm

Or...we can send White Baby Boys into the Mississippi River and have them drown (Think of what the Egyptians did to the Israeli Boys at that time)!

WTF?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/09 at 1:55 pm

WTF?

Ok...I thought I was the only one who thought that.  Is it a Bible reference or something?  Because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/10/09 at 1:56 pm

Senor Matt Foley?

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/10/09 at 2:17 pm

Ok...I thought I was the only one who thought that.  Is it a Bible reference or something?  Because I have no idea what you are talking about.

It IS a Bible Reference.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/10/09 at 2:54 pm

Sounds like something about Moses, but I don't know where it fits in with this conversation.

I would like to say thank you, Ash, for taking a stand.  One thing that I have learned is that minorities will never change the opinions of non minorities.  Women can't change a mans' opinion of women, but other men can.  Jews can't change Christians opinions about Jews, other Christians can.  Catholics can't change Protestant opinions of Catholics, other Protestants can.  People are more likely to listen to hard truths from someone they see as an ally rather than the person or group they have chosen to demonize. I engage in dialogue about some of the questions posed, but never believe that I, as a woman and an African American, can change a white persons opinion about anything dealing with race.  I would say that, generally, the only people who understand are people who have had to deal with being the underdog, they are then equipped with the knowledge, and the purpose, to try to make changes in attitudes of people around them.  That is just the way it is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/09 at 3:43 pm

Sounds like something about Moses, but I don't know where it fits in with this conversation.

I would like to say thank you, Ash, for taking a stand.  One thing that I have learned is that minorities will never change the opinions of non minorities.  Women can't change a mans' opinion of women, but other men can.  Jews can't change Christians opinions about Jews, other Christians can.  Catholics can't change Protestant opinions of Catholics, other Protestants can.  People are more likely to listen to hard truths from someone they see as an ally rather than the person or group they have chosen to demonize. I engage in dialogue about some of the questions posed, but never believe that I, as a woman and an African American, can change a white persons opinion about anything dealing with race.  I would say that, generally, the only people who understand are people who have had to deal with being the underdog, they are then equipped with the knowledge, and the purpose, to try to make changes in attitudes of people around them.  That is just the way it is.

Bing-O!  Karma +1

The other way a person can influence others is leading by example.  Leading by rhetoric goes only so far.  I certainly agree with most of the liberals in my community, but they sure are an uninspiring lot.  "Inner peace" is a big goal among folks in our community. Yet, so many people who talk about "inner peace" when they demonstrate little.  I empathize.  I've got tornadoes of inner turmoil; so, I don't go about telling others how to achieve inner peace.  If somebody were to ask me how, I wouldn't recommend a book or a pill, but a mentor.  I don't mean a literal mentor like Mr. Miyagi, but an example of a person who has achieved inner peace. 

There is the liberal and the illiberal.  The pop culture has confused political correctness with "liberalism."  However, PC, in it's heyday in the early '90s was about thought control via sanction and condemnation.  This is about as illiberal as it gets.  I saw instructors in college issue grading demerits for students who used only the masculine pronoun in a sentence.  I had one TA do this to me.  She did not actually take points off, but just "corrected" it as "he or she."  I told her I was aware of the masculine pronoun, but "he or she" would interrupt the flow of the sentence.  She looked at me like I must be some jerk from the Republican club.  Next time I used "she" only, and received no reprimand.
8)

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/09 at 5:46 pm

you must come back and explain this.....

As for the rest of this thread....

I gotta tell ya Ash- I was curious about the email when you first mentioned it but I was not expecting this!  I love your response by the way!
I owe you karma...

I barely got past page one when I wanted to write this:

FUDGE!!! Have we gone back to the 1970's?  Can someone tell me the last time they actually heard the term "Honky" used? Or cracker...okay I've heard a few comedians throw it out but I can't recall the last time I ever heard someone say it out loud...

And certainly not as frequently as I hear other derogatory terms used...

Okay got that off my chest.... now- I agree with MacPhisto on one part... I simply detest the hyphened American....unless you truly are.. I am a Dutch American because my mother is dutch and my father is American...but I am american because I am a citizen of this country and I have so many american traits there is no way I could be mistaken for anything else.

I actually get offended by African american because what few ancestors I have who came from Africa did so a few hundred years ago so um I don't really consider Africa the Mother land.

I have met racist whites and racist people of color... I am an equal opportunity hater..I  hate all racists.... does that make me racists to racists?

anyway- this was going somewhere but I'll have to come back when I can think straight...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/09 at 5:54 pm

I am 37% WASP (German, Welsh, and British).

I wish there was a month for the Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, and Polish-Americans.

Not to be a correct-o-maniac, but I think you mean "Israelites."  There was no such thing as an "Israeli" until the foundation of the modern state of Israel. 

Anyway, WTF is this sending White Baby Boys into the Mississippi River idea?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_bounce.gif

Written By: Tia on 02/10/09 at 6:36 pm

Anyway, WTF is this sending White Baby Boys into the Mississippi River idea?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_bounce.gif
aw c'mon, it'll be funny. please?

Written By: Macphisto on 02/10/09 at 6:44 pm

Good points, but I guess I look at it like this.

Every society has a majority that tends to be dominant.  The U.K. is primarily made up of Anglo-Saxons.  The majority of Mexico is made up of people with a mixed heritage of indigenous people and the Spanish.  The majority of Russia is made up of Slavic ethnicities.

So, in America, most of us are white.  It's only natural that most of our prominent figures in history will be white.  Now when it comes to the gender debate...  well, what country has a history dominated by women?  Most cultures tend to be patriarchal.  I'm not saying it's right that women are often forced into submissive roles, but it has happened for most of human history (and still happens in many cultures today, especially in the Islamic World).

I would agree that it's important to research all of history, not just what white men did, but the prominence of whites and more specifically white men in our culture isn't really that strange.  If the majority of our country was black, then black men would dominate our culture, and so on.

I can't say I'm embarassed by my race at all.  I don't see why I should be either.  I try to judge people as individuals, but as I mentioned in another thread, I have prejudices just like everyone else.  Still, I don't feel like I should be ashamed of actions I didn't have a hand in.

I wouldn't expect black people here to feel ashamed of what their ancestors did to initiate the slave trade through taking prisoners of tribal wars and selling them to Muslims and Europeans.

The point is...  if you go back far enough, you can always find something shameful that your culture did, but being embarassed by that doesn't make much sense unless you actually were part of the act yourself.

Now, obviously, we need to do what we can to help the generations of people that have been indirectly affected by the actions of our ancestors, but this should be a progressive affair, not an embarassing one.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/10/09 at 7:23 pm

I'll say it loud:

I'm Kraut and I'm proud.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 02/10/09 at 7:51 pm

I'll say it loud:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/pyzamhiler.jpg

;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/10/09 at 9:46 pm

Wow i kind of agree with Macphisto, now that's a first :D

Being proud of your race or being ashamed by it is all nonsense. The same goes for nationality, though being brazilian is way better than being american,sorry :P

I'm proud of never judging people on their color and never give much importance to people who judge me on that. Being both black and white i know there's no real difference between races, we're all equally lame.

Written By: Gis on 02/11/09 at 2:05 am

I don't know what you are all worried about guilt for, according to the man I met on a train from Seattle to Utah the British are to blame for every attrocity that has ever happened in history!  ;D

With hindsight it might just be that he was deliberatly trying to be provocative but after a few attempts I couldn't even be bothered to argue with him and just agreed we are to blame for it all. As it turned out his snore was far more irritating than his opinions.  ;D

Written By: philbo on 02/11/09 at 4:31 am

I don't know what you are all worried about guilt for, according to the man I met on a train from Seattle to Utah the British are to blame for every attrocity that has ever happened in history!  ;D

With hindsight it might just be that he was deliberatly trying to be provocative but after a few attempts I couldn't even be bothered to argue with him and just agreed we are to blame for it all. As it turned out his snore was far more irritating than his opinions.  ;D

Hmmm....

On a warm summer evening, on a train bound for nowhere
I came across a grumbler, he was hittin' on the Brits

...changes record - that one has more potential..

If you're angry feeling mad
At something that's really bad
Who's to blame? It's
Gotta be the Brits

They're the bad guys, seems to me
All the way through history
They're the pits
Hittin' on the Brits

(Thinks... I might finish that one - thanks :))

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/09 at 5:09 am

Wow i kind of agree with Macphisto, now that's a first :D

Being proud of your race or being ashamed by it is all nonsense. The same goes for nationality, though being brazilian is way better than being american,sorry :P

This isn't about being proud or ashamed of ones heritage.  This is about denigrating others because of their heritage, or being proud on the basis of birth as opposed to being proud on the basis of accomplishments. 

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/09 at 5:11 am

I'll say it loud:

I'll say it loud:

I'm  CHUTNEY and I'm proud.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/11/09 at 8:35 am

Does this mean we get to blame you for everything that goes wrong? :D

Written By: Tia on 02/11/09 at 8:54 am

ah sounds like you might have had a larouche-head sighting.  ;D that's lyndon larouche's big thing, that behind the scenes the british royal family is still running things.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/09 at 11:47 am

It breaks my heart to hear that you feel this way - honestly.  And I have to respectfully disagree with you.  Look at Oprah Winfrey.  She is a woman, and an African American, and I think it's pretty safe to say that she has helped to shape millions of people's opinions about race.  Maya Angelou is another amazing woman that I think has helped shape American culture.  What about Harriet Tubman?  I can't fathom that only black people have been inspired by her heroism.  I know that she's one of my heroes.  There are literally thousands of people, of many races that have changed everyone's ideas about race.  There is no WAY that only white people can influence white people.  What about Martin Luther King Junior?  Or what about Barack Obama?  Don't you think he has changed this entire country's views about race?  Can you tell me that Ghandi only inspired Indians?  Or that Mother Teresa only inspired Catholics?  (I'm totally agnostic, but I have a Mother Teresa quote on the wall of both my house and my office.)

Don't get me wrong - I can absolutely see your point.  That people are more likely to listen to people that are like them.  And that is more true of some people than others.  But we ALL have power.  Every single one of us.       

*edited for a bunch of typos.   ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/09 at 12:01 pm

It breaks my heart to hear that you feel this way - honestly.  And I have to respectfully disagree with you.  Look at Oprah Winfrey.  She is an woman, and an African American, and I think it's pretty safe to say that she has helped to shape millions of people's opinions about race.  Maya Angelou is another amazing woman that I think has helpted shape American culture.  What about Harriet Tubman?  I can't fathom that only black people have been inspired by her heroism.  I know that she's one of my heroes.  There are literally thousands of people, of many races that have changed everyone's ideas about race.  There is no WAY that only white people can influence white people.  What about Martin Luther King Junior?  Or what about Barack Obama?  Don't you think he has changed this entire country's views about race?  Can you tell me that Ghandi only inspired Indians?  Or that Mother Teresa only inspired Catholics?  (I'm totally agnostic, but I have a Mother Teresa quote on the wall of both my house and my office actually.)

Don't get me wrong - I can absolutely see your point.  That people are more likely to listen to people that are like them.  And that is more true of some people than others.  But we ALL have power.  Every single one of us.       

Point taken  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/09 at 2:25 pm

I'll say it loud:

I'm  CHUTNEY and I'm proud.  ;D

Wouldja please pass the jelly?

8)

Written By: Tia on 02/11/09 at 3:45 pm

http://www.sadlyno.com/wordpress/uploads/2009/02/schlussel55.jpg
"why can't whitey ever catch a break?"

Cinema house concern troll Debbie Schlussel relates a series of imaginary jive-laced exchanges she endured with the Coloreds at a recent penny dreadful screening. Sadly, her gently dispensed advice on the proper upbringing of pickaninnies seems to have been met with naked impudence:

http://www.sadlyno.com/archives/17133.html

Written By: Macphisto on 02/11/09 at 6:29 pm

This isn't about being proud or ashamed of ones heritage.  This is about denigrating others because of their heritage, or being proud on the basis of birth as opposed to being proud on the basis of accomplishments. 

Well, if that's the case, no hyphenated Americanism is needed.

We can all live as simply American (or whatever other citizenship applies).

Written By: Macphisto on 02/11/09 at 6:36 pm

http://www.sadlyno.com/wordpress/uploads/2009/02/schlussel55.jpg
"why can't whitey ever catch a break?"

http://www.sadlyno.com/archives/17133.html

Well, for what it's worth, she did make some decent points.

Bringing your kids to a horror movie is a stupid thing to do, and I've seen it happen firsthand.  And yes, in some cases, the kids happened to be black (not that that even matters anyway).  To me, it's not about race -- it's about manners.

Personally, I also find it rather irritating when people bring infants to restaurants, because I don't go out to eat to hear some little brat scream his head off.  That's something a babysitter should deal with.  Again, that's not about race -- it's about being considerate.

Written By: Tia on 02/11/09 at 6:41 pm

Well, for what it's worth, she did make some decent points.

Bringing your kids to a horror movie is a stupid thing to do, and I've seen it happen firsthand.  And yes, in some cases, the kids happened to be black (not that that even matters anyway).  To me, it's not about race -- it's about manners.

Personally, I also find it rather irritating when people bring infants to restaurants, because I don't go out to eat to hear some little brat scream his head off.  That's something a babysitter should deal with.  Again, that's not about race -- it's about being considerate.

yeah, believe me, i take a backseat to no one in terms of hating on crying babies in movie theaters. but i think ms. schnussel-whatever-her-name-is is being really disingenuous when she says she is being color-blind in lecturing her fellow moviegoers. plus the surrealism of these conversations she's alleged to have had, which sound totally imaginary -- they're like the arguments i have in my conquering-hero daydreams when i dress down all sorts of deserving people and they just kinda go, "i know, you're right, i'm sorry" -- exactly the way they DON'T do in real life. and then, omg, the weird dialect she gave them totally made me cringe.

this was my favorite post in the comments section...

Not going to the link before my coffee, but can I ask you all to confirm the hilarity…..?

Little Snack-cakes

1) attends a violent and sexually explicit movie, and tut-tuts other attendees for their choice in film?

2) Shouts questions at strangers and then pronounces their less-than satisfactory responses “rude.”

3) has magical powers to determine the marital status of people she has never met

3) deplores exposing children to violence and sexual content, but ridcules a father’s facetious assertion that the child “wants to be scared,” because babies can’t understand anything on the screen.

4) whilst railing against rude black people, defends her own use of the word “bitch.”

Any other highlights?

Written By: Macphisto on 02/11/09 at 6:44 pm

yeah, believe me, i take a backseat to no one in terms of hating on crying babies in movie theaters. but i think ms. schnussel-whatever-her-name-is is being really disingenuous when she says she is being color-blind in lecturing her fellow moviegoers. plus the surrealism of these conversations she's alleged to have had, which sound totally imaginary -- they're like the arguments i have in my conquering-hero daydreams when i dress down all sorts of deserving people and they just kinda go, "i know, you're right, i'm sorry" -- exactly the way they DON'T do in real life. and then, omg, the weird dialect she gave them totally made me cringe.

this was my favorite post in the comments section...

Good points...  Perhaps, for her, it is about race.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/09 at 7:02 pm

Wouldja please pass the jelly?

8)

Max, are you ready for that jelly? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/09 at 11:44 pm

That's what my doctor asked me, Dr. Ben Dover.

:-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/12/09 at 11:28 am

So far I haven't responded to this, but I will tell you a story from my youth, like 5th grade or so.  You all know, I think, that I am part Puerto Rican.  Well, once in class I said something or other about it, like that we went there over the summer or something, and some kids started calling me a spic.  I had never heard that term before but didn't like it.  Was I proud to be Puerto Rican?  No, but I wasn't ashamed either, I just was.  But those kids thought that I should have been ashamed, which made me need to be proud - and a bit belligerent.  There were a few bloodied noses.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/12/09 at 11:50 am

So far I haven't responded to this, but I will tell you a story from my youth, like 5th grade or so.  You all know, I think, that I am part Puerto Rican.  Well, once in class I said something or other about it, like that we went there over the summer or something, and some kids started calling me a spic.  I had never heard that term before but didn't like it.  Was I proud to be Puerto Rican?  No, but I wasn't ashamed either, I just was.  But those kids thought that I should have been ashamed, which made me need to be proud - and a bit belligerent.  There were a few bloodied noses.

That makes perfect sense, Don Carlos.  It's not like you were going around telling everyone how great you were - you were standing up for yourself.  It's a totally different thing than the so called "White Pride."  I think Philbo said it best when he said, (and I quote)

The thing is though...I'm totally proud of myself - of the person that I am.  Not to toot my own horn or anything - I think we should all be proud of who we are.  It's just when you base it on the color of your skin and nothing else that it becomes ridiculous.  There is nothing wrong with being proud to come from Puerto Rico or Ireland or Africa.  I can totally understand why someone would be proud of that.  I couldn't be more proud of my of my great-great grandmother in Switzerland who had the courage to marry my great-great grandfather from China back before interracial relationships were anything close to being accepted.  It created a scandal, but they didn't care - they loved each other.  I think that's awesome, and I think that people should be proud of their heritage - their ancestors, like Arwen said.  But not of their skin.  That's just stupid.

That's what my doctor asked me, Dr. Ben Dover.

:-\\

I think he's referring to the Destiny's Child song, Bootylicious.  "I don't think you're ready for this jelly..."

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/12/09 at 3:08 pm

I think he's referring to the Destiny's Child song, Bootylicious.  "I don't think you're ready for this jelly..."

Ah that reminds me of how society really works, specially guys. Racist pricks who would do anything to date someone like Beyoncé ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/09 at 4:15 pm

Ah that reminds me of how society really works, specially guys. Racist pricks who would do anything to date someone like Beyoncé ::)

Ah, usually the roles were reversed.  Dads of suburban daughters hated Jimi Hendrix!  That was a big help to Michael Jackson's career--at last a black superstar whose poster on the teenage daughter's wall didn't make Dad cringe.

Check for new replies or respond here...