» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Judd Gregg Backs Out of Commerce Job

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/09 at 8:37 pm

Judd Gregg of New Hampshire has decided not to accept the job of Secretary of Commerce.  He said it is because of fundamental issues with the way in which the recovery is being handled.  He also said he would not seek re-election to the Senate in 2010 because there are other things he wants to do.  Yeah, right.  This isn't a surprise to me, guy is a jerk.  Wonder what they found out.

www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/13/america/13gregg.php

Subject: Re: Judd Gregg Backs Out of Commerce Job

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/09 at 9:47 pm

Judd Gregg of New Hampshire has decided not to accept the job of Secretary of Commerce.  He said it is because of fundamental issues with the way in which the recovery is being handled.  He also said he would not seek re-election to the Senate in 2010 because there are other things he wants to do.  Yeah, right.   This isn't a surprise to me, guy is a jerk.  Wonder what they found out.

www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/13/america/13gregg.php

Win/win for me!  No cabinet post, no senate seat.  If they found anything out on Gregg, he should be granted immunity for just going away!
:)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/13/09 at 10:27 am

I'm betting the pressure from his repug colleagues was intense.  They seem to think that it's time to circle the wagons.  No compromises.  Obama will have to get tough.

Written By: philbo on 02/13/09 at 3:13 pm

Is it just me who sees "Judd Gregg" and reads it as "Judge Dredd"?

...thought it was

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/13/09 at 6:53 pm

Never mind I'm not going to say it. :-X  He probably wouldn't take the offer anyway. 

Written By: Macphisto on 02/13/09 at 8:13 pm

...thought it was

Same here...  Although it's not nearly as humorous as Mike Crapo (a senator for Idaho).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/09 at 10:05 pm

...thought it was

It reads lame-o political family (Gregg) from swampy New Hampshire.
:P

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/13/09 at 10:10 pm

I'm betting the pressure from his repug colleagues was intense.  They seem to think that it's time to circle the wagons.  No compromises.  Obama will have to get tough.

Appears that part of the problem is that O'bama's staffers were telling people that as Commerce head, Gregg would NOT have authority over the upcoming census... Presidents from either party have never usurped the Commerce Chief's authority on the census before.  Gregg saw this as a sign of more to come, so told O'bama to go pack sand, so to speak.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/14/09 at 6:17 am

Appears that part of the problem is that O'bama's staffers were telling people that as Commerce head, Gregg would NOT have authority over the upcoming census... Presidents from either party have never usurped the Commerce Chief's authority on the census before.  Gregg saw this as a sign of more to come, so told O'bama to go pack sand, so to speak.

That doesn't explain Gregg bowing out of the next senatorial run, for which he is a shoe in.  There is more to this on both sides of the aisle.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/14/09 at 8:46 am

That doesn't explain Gregg bowing out of the next senatorial run, for which he is a shoe in.  There is more to this on both sides of the aisle.

Well the Repubs might ahve told him "no more support for you" when he initially accepted the Commerce tap..

If there is any dirt on him, it will come out though.  Stay tuned to tmz.com or The Insider.

Written By: Macphisto on 02/14/09 at 2:16 pm

According to wikipedia, Gregg voted to abolish the U.S. Dept. of Commerce in 1995.  That might have something to do with his change of heart.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/15/09 at 7:17 am

Hmmmm...a bit of hypocrisy?  I'm shocked, truly shocked

Written By: Macphisto on 02/15/09 at 8:51 am

Hmmmm...a bit of hypocrisy?  I'm shocked, truly shocked

Agreed, but it also makes you wonder why Obama would pick him as a possible candidate for that job.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/02/09 at 5:17 pm

.......and now the rest of the story

www.newser.com/article/d96jr0f00/ap-exclusive-gregg-brother-invested-in-redevelopment-of-base-he-aided-as-governor-senator.html

President Barack Obama's former nominee to become commerce secretary, Sen. Judd Gregg, steered taxpayer money to his home state's redevelopment of a former Air Force base even as he and his brother engaged in real estate deals there, an Associated Press investigation found.

Gregg, R-N.H., personally has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in Cyrus Gregg's office projects at the Pease International Tradeport, a Portsmouth business park built at the defunct Pease Air Force Base, once home to nuclear bombers. Judd Gregg has collected at least $240,017 to $651,801 from his investments there, Senate records show, while helping arrange at least $66 million in federal aid for the former base.

Agreed, but it also makes you wonder why Obama would pick him as a possible candidate for that job.

Now we know why he rescinded the offer

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/09 at 8:30 pm

.......and now the rest of the story

www.newser.com/article/d96jr0f00/ap-exclusive-gregg-brother-invested-in-redevelopment-of-base-he-aided-as-governor-senator.html

President Barack Obama's former nominee to become commerce secretary, Sen. Judd Gregg, steered taxpayer money to his home state's redevelopment of a former Air Force base even as he and his brother engaged in real estate deals there, an Associated Press investigation found.

Gregg, R-N.H., personally has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in Cyrus Gregg's office projects at the Pease International Tradeport, a Portsmouth business park built at the defunct Pease Air Force Base, once home to nuclear bombers. Judd Gregg has collected at least $240,017 to $651,801 from his investments there, Senate records show, while helping arrange at least $66 million in federal aid for the former base.

Now we know why he rescinded the offer

If you're gonna be a crook, be a crook, but have the self-respect to be something other than a penny ante pissant New Hampshire crook!

I guess being a Granite Stater for all those years gives me a biased point of view here...

8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...