» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Say what you want about former President Bush!...

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/16/09 at 4:42 pm

Because according to Historians...he's the 36th Best President Ever!

Bill Clinton rose to 15th and Carter went from 22nd to 25th.

Buchanan is STILL considered the 'Worst' President Ever.

Here's the link....http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090215/ap_on_go_pr_wh/ranking_presidents

Subject: Re: Say what you want about former President Bush!...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/09 at 4:48 pm

I was OK until you reiterated the fact that Buchanan was the worst.  Yes, we all knew that Bush was going to rank pretty low.  Clinton ranking rose, everyone's should have rose because of Dubya.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/16/09 at 4:49 pm

I forgot again, what did Buchanan do/not do?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/09 at 4:50 pm

I forgot again, what did Buchanan do/not do?

Apparently he's not forgiven for not being Lincoln. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/16/09 at 4:54 pm

That's why I used quotes on 'Worst'. Many think Harding was even worse...including me!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/09 at 4:57 pm

That's why I used quotes on 'Worst'. Many think Harding was even worse...including me!

I never like Hoover. :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/16/09 at 4:58 pm

I never like Hoover. :P

But he made a dam to imprison Megatron!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/09 at 5:00 pm

But he made a dam to imprison Megatron!

I think he was an engineer by trade.  Me thinks he helped design it.

Written By: Macphisto on 02/16/09 at 5:32 pm

Buchanan is mostly criticized for doing nothing to avert the Civil War.

Still, as a Southerner, I gotta say I have less against him than I do Lincoln.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/09 at 6:42 pm

Here's what his hometown said about "Old Buck".  I never said people from Lancaster PA were the brightest. ::)

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/233914

Written By: Jessica on 02/16/09 at 6:56 pm

Say what you want about former President Bush!...

He's a psychotic dicksmack. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/16/09 at 6:58 pm

He's a psychotic dicksmack. :)

He was great in Harold and Kumar 2.

Written By: nally on 02/16/09 at 7:01 pm

I was OK until you reiterated the fact that Buchanan was the worst.  Yes, we all knew that Bush was going to rank pretty low.  Clinton ranking rose, everyone's should have rose because of Dubya.

I was thinkin' that too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/09 at 11:49 pm

I would, but it would prolly get me hauled in for questioning by the secret service!

:o

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/17/09 at 2:43 pm

I was thinkin' that too.

You can say he's the 43rd Best President we've had!  ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/09 at 2:48 pm

36th? 

Now that is saying something! 

;D

Written By: Tia on 02/17/09 at 2:56 pm

i think the list doesn't discriminate between ignorant/untalented/incompetent presidents and simply unfortunate ones. (for instance, one guy gets high on the list of failed presidents because he caught a serious infection after having an open carriage during his inauguration ceremony in cold weather, and then died after being in office only a month or two. definitely a raw deal but totally not his fault he got stuck with presidency interruptus. i think he ended up being worse than bush but i'm sure if he hadnt gotten sick he would have been a better president.

i still think nixon's worse than bush, because of his bombing campaign against vietnam. flat-out war crime of the worst variety, that, even worse than iraq.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/17/09 at 2:58 pm

i think the list doesn't discriminate between ignorant/untalented/incompetent presidents and simply unfortunate ones. (for instance, one guy gets high on the list of failed presidents because he caught a serious infection after having an open carriage during his inauguration ceremony in cold weather, and then died after being in office only a month or two. definitely a raw deal but totally not his fault he got stuck with presidency interruptus. i think he ended up being worse than bush but i'm sure if he hadnt gotten sick he would have been a better president.

i still think nixon's worse than bush, because of his bombing campaign against vietnam. flat-out war crime of the worst variety, that, even worse than iraq.

I'm wondering if Bush is above Nixon on that list.

Written By: Tia on 02/17/09 at 3:02 pm

I'm wondering if Bush is above Nixon on that list.
i think they rated bush one worse than nixon, but i dont remember. i'm sorta torn; overall nixon was a much better president but i think his policy in vietnam was bad enough to undo anything else he might have accomplished. bush overall just sucked royally but at least his poor decisions only caused tens or hundreds of thousands rather than millions of needless deaths. course if it turns out he permanently hosed up the american economy i might have to revisit. if bush really did manage to pretty much permanently break the USA that would probably make him the worst president ever, no?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 7:28 pm

I think this whole "rank the presidents" game is a Cosmo Kramer approach to American history.  I don't know why somebody doesn't just stand up and call it daft!

:D

Written By: Tia on 02/18/09 at 7:36 am

I think this whole "rank the presidents" game is a Cosmo Kramer approach to American history.  I don't know why somebody doesn't just stand up and call it daft!

eh, it's a bit of a game and most folks know it, i think.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/09 at 11:09 pm

What are you crazy? No waaaay!  James A. Garfield definitely ranks higher than Rutherford B. Hayes!
What are YOU crazy? No waaaay!

Written By: philbo on 02/19/09 at 5:28 am

Thinking about it, top of the list has to be Harrison Ford (in Air Force One), followed closely by Lloyd Bridges in Hot Shots Part Deux... no, make that the other way around.

Biggest presidential scumbag has to be Gene Hackman in Absolute Power.

Worst president - Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove.

...any other suggestions?

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/09 at 11:51 am

Was it "Dave"?  with what's his name Kline and Sigorney Weaver?

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/19/09 at 1:15 pm

Was it "Dave"?  with what's his name Kline and Sigorney Weaver?

Kevin Kline.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/22/09 at 7:20 am

Then there was Dred Scott, and Bleeding Kansas, and the enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act...

Written By: Tia on 02/22/09 at 10:44 am

Thinking about it, top of the list has to be Harrison Ford (in Air Force One),
Worst president - Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove.

...any other suggestions?
i think i'd give it to morgan freeman from deep impact.

and merkin muffley was an okay president! he was just surrounded by buffoons... many of whom bore a suspicious resemblance to himself.

Written By: tv on 02/28/09 at 6:39 pm

I was surprised Jimmy Carter was ranked so high in this survey I mean the economy sucked when he was President the whole entire time. At least when George W. Bush was president the economy didn;t start to suck until the tail of his(W's) second term of presidency before Obama took over.

Written By: Macphisto on 02/28/09 at 8:51 pm

I was surprised Jimmy Carter was ranked so high in this survey I mean the economy sucked when he was President the whole entire time. At least when George W. Bush was president the economy didn;t start to suck until the tail of his(W's) second term of presidency before Obama took over.

True.  Carter meant well, but his actual policymaking was pretty disastrous.

What's particularly interesting about Carter is that he started much of our rampant interventionism in the Middle East.  There was a point in time where he essentially set a policy that, whenever Israel was in trouble, we'd intervene.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have broken that precedent ever since.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/09 at 10:49 pm

GW Bush is the Dr. Jack Kevorkian of capitalism!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign12.gif

Written By: Tia on 03/01/09 at 12:26 am

True.  Carter meant well, but his actual policymaking was pretty disastrous.

What's particularly interesting about Carter is that he started much of our rampant interventionism in the Middle East.  There was a point in time where he essentially set a policy that, whenever Israel was in trouble, we'd intervene.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have broken that precedent ever since.
we're not intervening, that's the problem. israel is getting military aid, but we're not really doing anything other than that (which admittedly is a lot) except vetoing UN security council resolutions. because the powerful nations in the region -- egypt, syria, etc. -- don't fight israel anymore, like they did in 67 and 73, it's pretty much just israel killing palestinians. they dont need us to intervene; that's easy.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/01/09 at 10:07 am

we're not intervening, that's the problem. israel is getting military aid, but we're not really doing anything other than that (which admittedly is a lot) except vetoing UN security council resolutions. because the powerful nations in the region -- egypt, syria, etc. -- don't fight israel anymore, like they did in 67 and 73, it's pretty much just israel killing palestinians. they dont need us to intervene; that's easy.

I would argue that the best course of action is to stop arming Israel and to stop giving money to Arab nations (other than maybe Iraq).

Israel should have to clean up its own messes and deal with the repercussions of its actions without our interference or help.

By the same token, I don't understand why we aid these other countries either.

Written By: Tia on 03/01/09 at 10:11 am

I would argue that the best course of action is to stop arming Israel and to stop giving money to Arab nations (other than maybe Iraq).

Israel should have to clean up its own messes and deal with the repercussions of its actions without our interference or help.

By the same token, I don't understand why we aid these other countries either.
can't say i disagree.

Check for new replies or respond here...