» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: So.... The word Black Hole is now racist? WTF?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/09 at 2:20 pm

Apparently so......

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/07/11/texas-county-official-sees-race-term-black-hole/

By the way....

The working defintions of

Black Hole, Devil's Food Cake, and Angel Food Cake are, according to Wikipedia are....

1)  According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, a black hole is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing, including electromagnetic radiation (e.g. visible light), can escape its pull after having fallen past its event horizon. The term derives from the fact that absorption of visible light renders the hole's interior invisible, and indistinguishable from the black space around it.

2)  Devil's food cake is a rich, chocolate layer cake. Devil's food cake is aptly considered a counterpart to angel cake, that is the two cake types are very different: aside from being chocolate-flavored, devil's food cake incorporates butter (or a substitute) and far less egg. Both cakes were introduced in the United States in the 20th century. The recipe for this cake was first printed in 1905. Devil's-food cake is a type of butter cake. Unlike chocolate cakes which include both cocoa and melted chocolate, Devil's food cake uses only cocoa. The lack of melted chocolate is typically what distinguishes a 'devil's food cake' from a chocolate cake. The use of hot, or boiling water as the cake's main liquid, rather than milk, is also a common difference. The cake is usually paired with a rich chocolate frosting.

A similar cake, the red velvet cake is closely linked to a devil's food cake, and in some turn of the century cookbooks the two names may have been interchangable. When used in cakes, baking soda causes reddening of cocoa powder when baked, and before more alkaline "Dutch Processed" cocoa was widely available, the red color would have been more pronounced. This natural tinting may have been the source for the name "Red Velvet" as well as "Devil's Food" and a long list of similar names for chocolate cakes

3)  Angel food cake is a type of cake that became popular in the U.S. following the invention of the hand-crank egg-beater in the 19th century. It may also have been called angel cake. Because of its white color and airy lightness it was said to be the "food of the angels". It can be contrasted to chocolate devil's food cake, another popular American cake which appeared at the same general time period, as one of the many new American cakes made possible by the invention of baking powder. Angel food cake is a type of foam cake whereas the devil's food cake is a type of butter cake.

Angel food cake requires that the egg whites be whipped until they are stiff, and gently folded into the other ingredients. For this method of leavening to work well, it is useful to have flour that has been made of softer wheat. This — and the lack of fat — causes angel food cake to have a very light texture and taste. It has led some detractors to liken the taste of the cake, as well as its appearance, to cotton. Angel food cake should be cut with a serrated knife, as a solid blade tends to compress the cake rather than slice it. Forks, electric serrated knives, special tined cutters or a strong thread should be used instead.

Angel food cake is usually baked in a tube pan, a tall, round pan with a tube up the center that leaves a hole in the middle of the cake. A "bundt pan" can also be used, but the fluted sides can make releasing the cake more difficult. The center tube allows the cake batter to rise higher by 'clinging' to all sides of the pan. Unlike other cakes, the pan should be un-greased to enhance the cake. After baking, the cake pan is inverted while cooling to prevent the cake from falling in on itself. Angel food cake is sometimes frosted but more often has some sort of sauce, such as a sweet fruit sauce, drizzled over it. A simple glaze is also popular. Recently many chefs (Alton Brown in particular) have popularized the idea of adding aromatic spices such as mace and cloves.

Yeeeesssssh....

::)

Subject: Re: So.... The word Black Hole is now racist? WTF?

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/17/09 at 2:59 pm

Here's a joke for the 21st Century!

A guy walks into a bar...that's it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/09 at 3:01 pm

Now that is funny!

;D

Written By: Tia on 02/17/09 at 3:04 pm

with two guys making the same apparently prespammersite claim that "black hole" is a racist term it makes me wonder whether there's something we don't know about the guy who said it. maybe he's got a history of making weird little racist innuendos that's got everyone in the office wondering why the black olives are in cans but the green olives are in jars.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/09 at 3:14 pm

with two guys making the same apparently prespammersite claim that "black hole" is a racist term it makes me wonder whether there's something we don't know about the guy who said it. maybe he's got a history of making weird little racist innuendos that's got everyone in the office wondering why the black olives are in cans but the green olives are in jars.

True...you never know.

I can say this much though...I think all cake is good cake. 

Written By: Tam on 02/17/09 at 3:16 pm

This guy Price cannot be serious, can he?

In my entire life I have never heard such ridiculous claims about words. Almost everyone knows exactly what a Black Hole is, and for this guy Price to turn it into a racist comment - he is making something out of nothing.

So now Duncan Hines and ALL recipe books have to change the names of certain types of cake? Seriously! Next thing you know this guy Price is going to want to change crayola color names, black licorice is going to have to go back to being called simply anise, and the world renowned book Black Beauty is going to have to be renamed "Colorless Equine" or something absolutely ridiculous like that.

Makes me wonder the same thing. Is the speaker of Black Holes known for such comments? Or is Price educated to know what a Black Hole is? Too many unanswered questions for me!

Written By: karen on 02/17/09 at 3:19 pm

Perhaps he was muddling it up with the Black Hole of Calcutta which is often wrongly used in Britain to mean an area with a high Indian population.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/17/09 at 3:33 pm

That is absurd.  First of all Devil's food cake is much better than Angel's food cake.  It has nothing to do with race, devil's food because it's more tasty, tempting and fattening.  Black hole, well last time I checked it was black.  It's not like it's called the African-American hole.  Price is looking for racism in places and things were there is none.

Written By: Paul on 02/17/09 at 3:40 pm

Perhaps he was muddling it up with the Black Hole of Calcutta which is often wrongly used in Britain to mean an area with a high Indian population.

Hand on heart, I've never heard that term used in that sense...

The only reference I know is when describing a room with poor light ('It's like the black hole of Calcutta in here!')

Written By: karen on 02/17/09 at 3:44 pm

Hand on heart, I've never heard that term used in that sense...

The only reference I know is when describing a room with poor light ('It's like the black hole of Calcutta in here!')

Just an east midlands thing then?  Mainly in reference to a particular street or two in Leicester!  "You don't want to break down there - it's like the black hole of Calcutta"

Written By: Paul on 02/17/09 at 3:49 pm

Just an east midlands thing then?  Mainly in reference to a particular street or two in Leicester!  "You don't want to break down there - it's like the black hole of Calcutta"

Must be an east Midlands thing...even though the south does have several areas of high Indian population, it's never (to my knowledge) been used here like you've described...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/17/09 at 3:50 pm

There is a black hole of Calcutta.  It's the poorest section of Calcutta.  People avoid it because if disease breaks out it usually is rampant there.  Plus, it's considered hell like because it's population is mostly the lower caste.

Written By: karen on 02/17/09 at 4:06 pm

There is a black hole of Calcutta.  It's the poorest section of Calcutta.  People avoid it because if disease breaks out it usually is rampant there.  Plus, it's considered hell like because it's population is mostly the lower caste.

Umm.. well that must be a new meaning of it then.  I posted a link as to the original meaning.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/17/09 at 4:44 pm

Umm.. well that must be a new meaning of it then.  I posted a link as to the original meaning.

Must be.  It's amazing how former British colonies never forget their "British" roots.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/09 at 5:01 pm

I can think something, that it is positive that has the word black in it....

It's black cat, my favorite kind of cat, because they look cute.

http://z.about.com/d/cats/1/0/I/8/3/BlackCatTux.jpg

Now... tell me that that cat, doesn't look cute...

http://brooklyncameraclub.org/v-web/gallery/albums/album306/DSC_5680_Tiny_black_kitten.jpg

Or that one for that matter?

So, what does Price, what me and others to call it?

Absent of known color cat or kitten?

Seriously.....

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 7:25 pm

This is coming from Fox News so let's just chill until we see if Fox fell for another joke.  I could fire off a story to Brit Hume that some prof at Berkeley says the word "gullible" is racist...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 02/17/09 at 7:53 pm

Toju would agree that "black hole" is racist, as are many other phrases.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=toju%20black%20hole&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

(Warning: NSFW, language)

Check for new replies or respond here...