» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: NY Post Runs Cartoon Associating Obama's Stimulus With Crazed Chimp

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/18/09 at 2:53 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2009-02-18-cartoon.jpg

Subject: Re: NY Post Runs Cartoon Associating Obama's Stimulus With Crazed Chimp

Written By: Macphisto on 02/18/09 at 6:47 pm

lol...  nice

Subject: Re: NY Post Runs Cartoon Associating Obama's Stimulus With Crazed Chimp

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/18/09 at 9:49 pm

That was sick, and so not funny.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/09 at 10:28 pm

a.  I knew some scumbag right-winger or some scumbag right-wing news outlet was going to do this.
b. The Post knew what it was getting into.  It is racist and violent. 

You might suggest the press called Dubya a chimp for eight years, but there is a double standard when it comes to comparisons of blacks with primates.  The white power structure deliberately pushed said double standard for hundreds of years and they should not be able to claim innocence today.

>:(

Written By: karen on 02/18/09 at 11:40 pm

a.  I knew some scumbag right-winger or some scumbag right-wing news outlet was going to do this.
b. The Post knew what it was getting into.  It is racist and violent. 

You might suggest the press called Dubya a chimp for eight years, but there is a double standard when it comes to comparisons of blacks with primates.  The white power structure deliberately pushed said double standard for hundreds of years and they should not be able to claim innocence today.

To be honest I thought the cartoon was still about Bush.  I was confused.  :-[

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/09 at 7:23 am

I did not see it as referring to O'bama, the "racist angle", but of course some people will attempt to make it that.

And even if it were representing O'bama, so what?  Bush was regularly charicatured as a chimp for at least 8 years.

I suspect the cartoonist was referring to the PROCESS, which involved hundreds of politicians, as the "crazed chimp".

Still in bad taste, but only because it was disrespectful, I think, to the lady who is still in intensive care over the chimp attack.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/09 at 11:48 am

Given what Limbaugh, Hannity, and the like are spouting I think this comes dangerously close to asking for an assassination.  And I'm NOT surprised.

Written By: Tia on 02/19/09 at 11:54 am

if you're going to be offensive, it really really helps to also be funny. this cartoon wouldn't be catching so much guff except a. it's really strange and obscure and hard to understand, and b. it's just not in the least bit funny.

Written By: Tia on 02/19/09 at 11:55 am

Given what Limbaugh, Hannity, and the like are spouting I think this comes dangerously close to asking for an assassination.  And I'm NOT surprised.
that's true, actually. folks keep getting distracted by the racist angle but the incitement-to-violence angle is probably even more troubling. although LB's observation is interesting that the chimp actually represents the out-of-control process (and by linking that interpretation to the recent renegade-chimp-shooting, we can actually start recognizing something that looks marginally like a coherent attempt at humor; absent that i couldn't even see how the cartoon was trying to make a joke...)

Written By: Jessica on 02/19/09 at 12:24 pm

if you're going to be offensive, it really really helps to also be funny. this cartoon wouldn't be catching so much guff except a. it's really strange and obscure and hard to understand, and b. it's just not in the least bit funny.

Exactly.  I had no clue what the hell the artist was trying to convey, until I started reading all the articles about it.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/19/09 at 12:27 pm

I did not see it as referring to O'bama, the "racist angle", but of course some people will attempt to make it that.

And even if it were representing O'bama, so what?  Bush was regularly charicatured as a chimp for at least 8 years.

I suspect the cartoonist was referring to the PROCESS, which involved hundreds of politicians, as the "crazed chimp".

Still in bad taste, but only because it was disrespectful, I think, to the lady who is still in intensive care over the chimp attack.

I didn't think it was offensive, I also didn't think it was that funny.  I guess I'm not surprised at the outrage either.  Maybe I'm too ambivalent, I feel like this is a non-issue.  What did Obama say?

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/19/09 at 1:00 pm

Strange how this is considered racist, but no one batted an eye when a series of photographs was published online showing a chimp evolving into Bill Clinton! Or when The Tonight Show writers suggested that George W. Bush walked like Bigfoot! Actually, I think the ASPCA should be yelling louder. But then, after a month in office, the chimp would have probably gotten more done, because they all know that 'tax & spend' does NOT help the economy! This is only a 'stimulus' for closing more businesses!

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Tia on 02/19/09 at 1:10 pm

allow me to help.

bill clinton and george w. bush are

not black.

you're welcome.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/19/09 at 1:19 pm

I'm white and I didn't find it funny...sorry. :-\\

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/19/09 at 1:22 pm

allow me to help.

bill clinton and george w. bush are
not black.
you're welcome.

Neither is Obama,! He's biracial, not that anyone takes the time to note that. I despise the double standard that has people of color thinking that they are above either the law or criticism(which is protected by the first amendment) becaue they can whine "Is this because I'm 'insert minority affiliation here'?" Such is my point. BTW, it didn't make me laugh either.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Tia on 02/19/09 at 1:29 pm

Neither is Obama,! He's biracial, not that anyone takes the time to note that. I despise the double standard that has people of color thinking that they are above either the law or criticism(which is protected by the first amendment) becaue they can whine "Is this because I'm 'insert minority affiliation here'?" Such is my point. BTW, it didn't make me laugh either.

Your Pal,
Doc

well, i think the criticism needs to be mounted in a way that doesn't appear to be taking advantage of that minority status to get in unfair digs. it's the same reason why the left often calls lieberman a traitor but will rarely refer to him as "stabbing someone in the back," because that comes dangerously close to an anti-semitic stereotype. it's just the rules, if we came from a history free of bigotry and racism we wouldn't need them but we are where we are.

(i borrowed the lieberman point from TYT, by the way. i dunno if anyone heard that yesterday but they were talking about the monkey cartoon for a long time and then anna kasparian turns around and says 50 cent "looks like a monkey." then she spent about a half hour backpedalling. then JR later on played a recording of her saying when she had kids, she planned on kicking them around. i think JR, who's black, was pissed at her for the monkey jibe. but that's just my theory. fun times on TYT yesterday!)

Written By: Jessica on 02/19/09 at 1:34 pm

Strange how this is considered racist, but no one batted an eye when a series of photographs was published online showing a chimp evolving into Bill Clinton! Or when The Tonight Show writers suggested that George W. Bush walked like Bigfoot! Actually, I think the ASPCA should be yelling louder. But then, after a month in office, the chimp would have probably gotten more done, because they all know that 'tax & spend' does NOT help the economy! This is only a 'stimulus' for closing more businesses!

Your Pal,
Doc

Moved to Alaska yet?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 1:47 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

The NY Post knew what they were getting into.  They wanted to be provocative.  The editorial board just wants to p*ss off the liberals, which is easy to do; however, this cartoon was at Larry Flynt level bad taste.

I think you understand this and you're playing it like you do not.  Anybody who grew up in the Western world understands the inflammatory implications.

The stim has its problems, but the right-wing's answer to cyanide poising is more cyanide.  Reaganomics destroyed this country.  Clintonomics were just Reaganomics lite. 
::)

BTW, People of Obama's background used to be called "mulatto" and they were considered slaves and later subject to the sharp end of the Jim Crow stick just the same.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/09 at 8:27 pm

Does anybody SERIOUSLY think that the cartoonist sat down and said "You know what?  I am a racist dude and I hate the idea that this ****** became president.  So today I am going to portray him as a chimp in my cartoon."

I am pretty sure that a cartoonist for ANY of the mainstream media outlets, far right or far left, would be fired for doing something like that.

You know, Clinton was charicatured for his Barnum-like nose.  Bush 2 for his ears and unusual face.  Blowjobovich for his mop of hair.  Jesse Jaxon for his 'fro and moustache. Get over it folks... O'bama will become charicatured for his big ears, and eventually broad nose and somewhat bigger lips.  As long as he is not pictured in an obviously racist way (like some sort of minstrel "shucking and jiving" these charicatures will not be racist... they will just play off of his features which happen to have african roots.

I still contend that the cartoon was to associate the PROCESS of the stimulus as a crazed chimp.  Lord knows there were probably 20x as many whites writing it than blacks anyway.

Written By: Macphisto on 02/19/09 at 9:21 pm

well, i think the criticism needs to be mounted in a way that doesn't appear to be taking advantage of that minority status to get in unfair digs. it's the same reason why the left often calls lieberman a traitor but will rarely refer to him as "stabbing someone in the back," because that comes dangerously close to an anti-semitic stereotype. it's just the rules, if we came from a history free of bigotry and racism we wouldn't need them but we are where we are.

(i borrowed the lieberman point from TYT, by the way. i dunno if anyone heard that yesterday but they were talking about the monkey cartoon for a long time and then anna kasparian turns around and says 50 cent "looks like a monkey." then she spent about a half hour backpedalling. then JR later on played a recording of her saying when she had kids, she planned on kicking them around. i think JR, who's black, was pissed at her for the monkey jibe. but that's just my theory. fun times on TYT yesterday!)

Well, it is worth questioning why we should play by these rules.

Personally, I don't.  I call a spade a spade.  I don't really care if someone construes it as racial or prejudiced in some other way.

The point is...  These things only have power because we let them have it.  I wouldn't have to type the "n-word" like this if this principle wasn't true.  The "n-word" is just a word like every other word, but political correctness makes it more than just that.  Of course, this is just one of several words that we have to skirt around due to these "rules."

So when viewing this cartoon, I found it funny without any guilt.  I didn't see it as being a reference to Obama so much as a reference to the insanity that inspired this stimulus bill.

I know there's the possibility that maybe the cartoonist was intending to draw a racial parallel, but that doesn't really matter to me, because I didn't interpret it that way.  Ultimately, what the cartoon means is up to each of us on a personal level.

When people like Al Sharpton make a big deal out of these things, it always seems like opportunism.  It's like he's looking for a reason to be offended.  Certain Muslims do the same thing.

Either way, people really need to grow thicker skins.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 10:00 pm

Does anybody SERIOUSLY think that the cartoonist sat down and said "You know what?  I am a racist dude and I hate the idea that this ****** became president.  So today I am going to portray him as a chimp in my cartoon."

Nah, it's just sort of passive-aggressive behavior.  Say something offensive not 'cos you mean it, but 'cos you get a charge out of pissing people off!  I'm quite familiar with it myself!
::)

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/19/09 at 11:33 pm

O'bama will become charicatured for his big ears, and eventually broad nose and somewhat bigger lips.

Obama already IS a caricature. The man looks almost exactly like a black version of Alfred E. Newman, and he himself admitted that once at a pre-election party in Washington! And even if George W. had us sailing in the wrong direction, at least we were moving forward and staying afloat. Obama's policies so far(and new gonna get worse before it gets better attitude) seem to tell our ship of state to either 'all stop and let the hull rust out', or 'set course straight to the bottom'! Has he even chosen ONE cabinet member yet who's actually paid their taxes!? Before he was elected he was all confidence, now why do we not see any COMPETENCE!?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 11:49 pm

Obama already IS a caricature. The man looks almost exactly like a black version of Alfred E. Newman, and he himself admitted that once at a pre-election party in Washington! And even if George W. had us sailing in the wrong direction, at least we were moving forward and staying afloat. Obama's policies so far(and new gonna get worse before it gets better attitude) seem to tell our ship of state to either 'all stop and let the hull rust out', or 'set course straight to the bottom'! Has he even chosen ONE cabinet member yet who's actually paid their taxes!? Before he was elected he was all confidence, now why do we not see any COMPETENCE!?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent4.gif

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 8:12 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent4.gif
i was thinking more like...

OBAMA
OBAMA
OBAMA
OBAMA
OBAMA
OBAMA

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/90/273969765_6f81580ef0_o.gif

AUGH! OBAMA!!!!

Obama derangement syndrome sufferers should seek help!  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/20/09 at 11:42 am

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

If Bush had us sailing in the wrong direction, how could we have been moving forward?  If I recall correctly, Bush (and McCain) we saying that "the fundamentals of the economy are sound" up until the credit meltdown, even though we were headed "straight to the bottom".  You might not see competence, I guess that depends on our point of view.  What I see is a great deal more competence than we saw under Bush, who's incompetence got us into this mess inn the first place (remember the Clinton surplus?  the debate was over how fast to pay down the national debt).What disappoints me about the stim is that it is NOT a tax and spend plan, but a borrow and spend plan, and in that regard is nothing new, the repugs have been doing that for 8 years (or more).  Although the spending priorities have change some.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/09 at 1:41 pm

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/uc/20090220/ljd090220.gif

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/09 at 9:00 pm

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/uc/20090220/ljd090220.gif

Cat

Ha ha! Karma!
;D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/09 at 10:20 am

And even if George W. had us sailing in the wrong direction, at least we were moving forward and staying afloat.

Sailing in the wrong direction all right.  We weren't moving forward, didn't stay afloat, and he and his buddies stole the lifeboats

http://www.juancole.com/graphics/iceberg-titanic.jpg

Written By: tv on 02/28/09 at 6:49 pm

I think the cartoon is an offensive gesture towards Obama and that Lady's Chimp who destroyed her friends face. The irony is Obama didn;t even write the stimulus bill though, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi did.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/09 at 10:54 pm

I think the cartoon is an offensive gesture towards Obama and that Lady's Chimp who destroyed her friends face. The irony is Obama didn;t even write the stimulus bill though, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi did.

Sorry, no, it was an antebellum style dehumanizing comparison of blacks to primates and the promotion of the assassination of President Obama.  The NY Post is tantamount to a Klan rag and ought to be sued right out of business by the Southern Poverty Law Center.  Thank you very much!
:)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/09 at 10:34 am

... it's the same reason why the left often calls lieberman a traitor but will rarely refer to him as "stabbing someone in the back," because that comes dangerously close to an anti-semitic stereotype. ...

What is the jewish stereotype about "back stabbing" supposed to be?  Never heard that...

Was the O-Jays' smash hit "Back Stabbers" and antisemitic anthem of sorts? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...