» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Green custard thrown at Lord Mandelson

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 4:53 am

Full report on BBC News Online

Business Secretary Lord Mandelson has had green custard thrown over him by a protester as he arrived at the launch of a low-carbon summit in London.

The protester, Leila Deen, is a member of environmental group Plane Stupid which is campaigning against a third runway at Heathrow.

The move was a "last resort" after the democratic process failed, she said.

The government approved a new runway last month despite opposition by MPs, local residents and green campaigners.

Subject: Re: Green custard thrown at Lord Mandelson

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/09 at 9:45 am

It should have been green slime....

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/06/09 at 3:17 pm

Karma just for the subject line!  It brought a smile to my face and there haven't been many of those this week!
;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/09 at 3:19 pm

Karma just for the subject line!  It brought a smile to my face and there haven't been many of those this week!
;D
There should be pictures of it online now.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/06/09 at 6:50 pm

That was great.  She so calm about it too.  Not like protesters in the states.  So was it guacamole or was it mushy peas?

Written By: Macphisto on 03/06/09 at 9:11 pm

Out of curiosity, what was the big problem with adding a runway?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/09 at 6:03 am

Out of curiosity, what was the big problem with adding a runway?
Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly has set out proposals for a third runway and a sixth terminal at Heathrow.

Announcing options for consultation, she said without growth the airport's status would suffer, but any expansion must meet noise and pollution tests.

Among options are a 2,200m third runway built north of Heathrow by 2020, and a sixth terminal, which will require the destruction of an entire village.

Critics say more than 50 communities and towns will suffer increased noise.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/07/09 at 7:15 am

Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly has set out proposals for a third runway and a sixth terminal at Heathrow.

Announcing options for consultation, she said without growth the airport's status would suffer, but any expansion must meet noise and pollution tests.

Among options are a 2,200m third runway built north of Heathrow by 2020, and a sixth terminal, which will require the destruction of an entire village.

Critics say more than 50 communities and towns will suffer increased noise.

The destruction of an entire village?  Enough said.  It is long past the time that peoples lives should be uprooted like this.  The whole idea of eminent domain for the purpose of commercialization is abhorrent.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/09 at 9:50 am

There should be pictures of it online now.
Cortesy of Gulf Times...

http://www.gulf-times.com/mritems/images/2009/3/6/2_277090_1_248.jpg

Written By: philbo on 03/07/09 at 9:54 am

Cortesy of Gulf Times...

http://www.gulf-times.com/mritems/images/2009/3/6/2_277090_1_248.jpg

That's kind of funny - the BBC pixellated the car's number plate :)  But they did have the whole thing on video :D

Written By: Macphisto on 03/07/09 at 10:42 am

The destruction of an entire village?  Enough said.  It is long past the time that peoples lives should be uprooted like this.  The whole idea of eminent domain for the purpose of commercialization is abhorrent.

From what I've read, it looks like air travel has actually fallen, so that's another reason why this expansion seems unnecessary.

This Thames Estuary Airport idea sounds interesting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/09 at 3:24 pm

Police say they have arrested environmental campaigner Leila Deen after an incident in which green custard was thrown at Lord Mandelson.

Written By: philbo on 03/09/09 at 5:05 am

Hmm.. looks like a "Layla" parody might be in order, then ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/09 at 5:06 am

I look forward to seeing it.

Written By: Gis on 03/09/09 at 10:24 am

Made everybody's day here at my work!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/09 at 10:28 am

It all makes a change from throwing eggs?

Written By: Gis on 03/09/09 at 10:30 am

It all makes a change from throwing eggs?
Certainly far more effective!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/09 at 10:31 am

Certainly far more effective!
Custard is done with style.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/09/09 at 1:22 pm

Custard is done with style.

Yes, I notice the whole ease of it.  I'm surprised she got to walk away.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/09 at 1:33 pm

Yes, I notice the whole ease of it.  I'm surprised she got to walk away.
She may had walked away, but she has been arrested by the police now.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/09/09 at 3:23 pm

She may had walked away, but she has been arrested by the police now.

In the States the police would have got her on the spot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/09 at 3:25 pm

In the States the police would have got her on the spot.
With a taser?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/09/09 at 3:27 pm

With a taser?

For assaulting a politician it's a sure bet. :(

Written By: Macphisto on 03/09/09 at 5:10 pm

For assaulting a politician it's a sure bet. :(

Well, yeah...  it is assault.  I can understand where she's coming from, but the law is the law.

Written By: Paul on 03/09/09 at 6:29 pm

This Thames Estuary Airport idea sounds interesting.

Not if you live near the Thames Estuary, it doesn't!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/09/09 at 8:23 pm

Well, yeah...  it is assault.  I can understand where she's coming from, but the law is the law.

She probably thinks it was worth it.  I know I would.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/10/09 at 7:25 am

Not if you live near the Thames Estuary, it doesn't!

True, but I guess the question becomes...  If you're going to eventually expand on your air travel capacity, how do you do it with displacing the fewest people?  No matter where you put it, someone will get screwed.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/09 at 8:24 am

In East Boston the Logan Airport is 2 steps from peoples homes, the airport wanted to add a runway, or have some of the traffic transferred to a closed down airforce base outside of the city that was in the works to become an alternate airport.  Unfortunately it is in a rural wealthy community.  They argued that the planes would be disruptive to an area of historical significance(Lexington and Concord battlefields).  Mind you, Boston is one huge historical park. The people from Lexington/Bedford won, the people from East Boston lost. Hanscom accomodates private jets and small shuttles mostly for travel to Nantucket.  A runway was added to Logan Airport .  Money changes everything.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/10/09 at 8:28 am

Unfortunately... yes.  Classism does typically take precedence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/09 at 1:10 pm

In East Boston the Logan Airport is 2 steps from peoples homes, the airport wanted to add a runway, or have some of the traffic transferred to a closed down airforce base outside of the city that was in the works to become an alternate airport.  Unfortunately it is in a rural wealthy community.  They argued that the planes would be disruptive to an area of historical significance(Lexington and Concord battlefields).  Mind you, Boston is one huge historical park. The people from Lexington/Bedford won, the people from East Boston lost. Hanscom accomodates private jets and small shuttles mostly for travel to Nantucket.  A runway was added to Logan Airport .  Money changes everything.

I once lived in Eastie.  It's a good place to live if you wanna know what it feels like to have nobody give a damn what you think!
::)

On the other hand, I once lived in Lincoln with my sister and her boyfriend who lived in the projects -- well, it was a tony condo complex between the wilderness conservation area and the commuter rail station, but for Lincoln, it was the projects!  Anyway, If you got caught exceeding 25 mph among the new mansions and historical landmarks, the local constabulary would smite you with a silver spoon!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/11/09 at 6:08 am

I once lived in Eastie.  It's a good place to live if you wanna know what it feels like to have nobody give a damn what you think!
::)

During the big boom some, well I just don't know what you'd call them, anyway, they had to have been from somewhere in the Midwest, decided East Boston needed and different nickname to go along with what they thought would be its gentrification(good luck with that), so they had this PR campaign and started calling it EaBo.   ;D ;D  Those idiots didn't know what hit them.  I think they are the same ones in who have tried to set up the SoWa(South of  Washington) district, which actually is Roxbury.  God, they don't know when to stop   ::)

Written By: philbo on 03/16/09 at 10:12 am

I look forward to seeing it.

Here you go...

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...