» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gun Sales Up

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/09 at 6:08 pm

I was talking to this woman who is as conservative as you can get. She was telling me that gun sales are WAY up. She said that she went to buy ammo and had to go to several stores because they were out. She said that rural American is afraid of Obama's policies and they are buying guns & ammo for their personal protection because "there may be run on food."  :o :o :o

I find it very strange for people to be afraid of Obama when they SHOULD have been afraid of Bush & company destroying this nation. I guess they don't mind losing their First, Fourth through Eight Amendment Rights just as long as they can keep the Second.

Cat

Subject: Re: Gun Sales Up

Written By: Macphisto on 03/27/09 at 6:52 pm

Pretty much....

Written By: Tia on 03/27/09 at 7:01 pm

see! obama's totally great for the economy!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/09 at 7:03 pm

Yeeeaaahh!

I'ma get me a gun!

And license it...and take a course in proper use, maintenance, and storage...and take it to the range for target practice every other Saturday...

:-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/27/09 at 7:08 pm

Yeeeaaahh!

I'ma get me a gun!

And license it...and take a course in proper use, maintenance, and storage...and take it to the range for target practice every other Saturday...

:-\\

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

Now you're talkin', Max!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/27/09 at 9:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fGl9587X8

;D

Written By: McDonald on 03/27/09 at 11:06 pm

Gun sales up... Tourism to the US down.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/28/09 at 11:44 am

Gun sales up... Tourism to the US down.

I'd imagine tourism anywhere is probably down due to the global economy.  Although, we did see a rise in tourism about a year ago because of our faltering dollar.

Written By: McDonald on 03/28/09 at 1:40 pm

Although, we did see a rise in tourism about a year ago because of our faltering dollar.

I remember it well.  ;)

Written By: Macphisto on 03/28/09 at 2:14 pm

I remember it well.  ;)

I was surprised that the Canadian dollar fell again.  You guys seem to manage your debt a lot better than us, so I figured that would manifest in higher valued currency.  For a short while the American and Canadian dollars were at parity.

Granted, I realize it's actually in your best interests to have a lower valued currency since we buy 85% of your exports.  For that short period about a year ago, it was starting to look like our trade deficit would fall some while your trade surplus would fall.

Written By: McDonald on 03/28/09 at 3:06 pm

I was surprised that the Canadian dollar fell again.  You guys seem to manage your debt a lot better than us, so I figured that would manifest in higher valued currency.  For a short while the American and Canadian dollars were at parity.

Granted, I realize it's actually in your best interests to have a lower valued currency since we buy 85% of your exports.  For that short period about a year ago, it was starting to look like our trade deficit would fall some while your trade surplus would fall.

Yes, I remember. Everybody was excited at first, and for a short while the Loonie was actually worth a bit more than the Greenback. Of course the exporters took a hit, but then again imported goods became cheaper. And it's not that the States suddenly stopped buying our exports because the price changed. The price didn't change. It was the exchange rate that changed.

You see, if I am a pig farmer for example and I sell pork to US buyers, I always price the pork in US dollars. Let's say I charge $5.00 USD a kilogramme. When the Canadian dollar exchanges below the USD, I get more Canadian dollars for the American dollars which have been paid to me in exchange for the pork. At an exchange rate of 1.25, I get $6.25 CAN for each kilo of pork. But when the Loonie trades better over the Greenback, the price for a kilo of pork in USD doesn't necessarily change. It's still $5.00 US. What changes is how much Canadian money I will be able to exchange that for. At parity, I'm losing $1.25 CAN per kilo. Therein lay the problem.

But everything is back to normal now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/09 at 4:40 pm

You see, if I am a pig farmer for example and I sell pork to US buyers, I always price the pork in US dollars. Let's say I charge $5.00 USD a kilogramme.

C$5.00 per kilo.

That's like 50 cents a pound, eh?

;D

Written By: Macphisto on 03/28/09 at 5:07 pm

Yes, I remember. Everybody was excited at first, and for a short while the Loonie was actually worth a bit more than the Greenback. Of course the exporters took a hit, but then again imported goods became cheaper. And it's not that the States suddenly stopped buying our exports because the price changed. The price didn't change. It was the exchange rate that changed.

You see, if I am a pig farmer for example and I sell pork to US buyers, I always price the pork in US dollars. Let's say I charge $5.00 USD a kilogramme. When the Canadian dollar exchanges below the USD, I get more Canadian dollars for the American dollars which have been paid to me in exchange for the pork. At an exchange rate of 1.25, I get $6.25 CAN for each kilo of pork. But when the Loonie trades better over the Greenback, the price for a kilo of pork in USD doesn't necessarily change. It's still $5.00 US. What changes is how much Canadian money I will be able to exchange that for. At parity, I'm losing $1.25 CAN per kilo. Therein lay the problem.

True, but over time, the price will change.  If the Loonie had sustained a higher value than the American dollar for several months, eventually, you would have no choice but to charge more.

Another thing that I had heard happened was that prices didn't change for things like electronics.  There were several things like computer parts that were still highly priced for Canadians due to things like your GST and PSTs on them.  Your sales taxes aren't as high as much of Europe, but they're pretty high compared to most of ours, and retailers seemed to not adjust their prices for various goods despite your more valuable Loonie.

Then again, over time, those prices should come down too, unless the Loonie takes a big hit in value.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/09 at 5:35 pm

I was in Welland ON this week, and all the locals I talked to said they have not bought beer in Canada for eons.  They cross over to Buffalo NY and buy it, 'cause beer in the Great White North is absurdly expensive.  :-\\

Written By: Satish on 03/28/09 at 10:54 pm

She said that rural American is afraid of Obama's policies and they are buying guns & ammo for their personal protection because "there may be run on food."  :o :o :o

Have you taken a look at what's happening? There might just BE a run on food!

Megadeth released a song back in 1999 called "Breadline." At the time, I didn't know what a bread line was, now it's probably 50-50 that I'm going to be standing in one in the near future!  :o

Written By: McDonald on 03/29/09 at 12:01 am

I was in Welland ON this week, and all the locals I talked to said they have not bought beer in Canada for eons.  They cross over to Buffalo NY and buy it, 'cause beer in the Great White North is absurdly expensive.   :-\\

You can't cross back over with alcohol or tobacco unless you've been in the States for at least 48hrs, otherwise you pay tax. So those people must be doing some clever manoeuvring over the border, or they're just plain not telling the border agents and not getting caught. Beer isn't absurdly expensive. I think that is an exaggeration. I do think it is more expensive than it ought to be, that is true. It is the provincial governments' doing. They set a minimum price for a two-four of beer. Quebec is the cheapest province for beer, I've heard, and the minium price for a two-four here is about $22, plus tax, plus bottle deposit. That is more than I would like to pay, but it isn't all that outrageous.

C$5.00 per kilo.

That's like 50 cents a pound, eh?

;D

I simply don't quite recognise what is so funny. In any case, it would be closer to $2.50 US a pound. I don't actually know how much a kilo of pork costs directly, but I was only using it as an example.

Written By: McDonald on 03/29/09 at 12:09 am

Another thing that I had heard happened was that prices didn't change for things like electronics.  There were several things like computer parts that were still highly priced for Canadians due to things like your GST and PSTs on them.  Your sales taxes aren't as high as much of Europe, but they're pretty high compared to most of ours, and retailers seemed to not adjust their prices for various goods despite your more valuable Loonie.

Then again, over time, those prices should come down too, unless the Loonie takes a big hit in value.

This is true. There were a lot of consumer complaints at that time because we weren't seeing the benefits of parity on the consumer end. Especially in books. You have seen the prices on any book you buy. One is in US one in CAN, and the Canadian price is always more. Sometimes it's a lot more. When the dollars were at parity, people realised what a racket that was. But what they didn't realise was that publishers hike up the price (up to 30%) to compensate for eventual fluctuations in the exchange rates. Some bookstores started having sales offering books at the US list price. Most of that is over now that the Loonie has fallen back to about 80 cents US. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/09 at 11:47 am

Have you taken a look at what's happening? There might just BE a run on food!

Megadeth released a song back in 1999 called "Breadline." At the time, I didn't know what a bread line was, now it's probably 50-50 that I'm going to be standing in one in the near future!  :o

That has nothing to do with with Obama's policies. He is trying to make it so we WON'T have breadlines. And you really should read history to learn what a breadline is.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 03/29/09 at 2:14 pm

This is true. There were a lot of consumer complaints at that time because we weren't seeing the benefits of parity on the consumer end. Especially in books. You have seen the prices on any book you buy. One is in US one in CAN, and the Canadian price is always more. Sometimes it's a lot more. When the dollars were at parity, people realised what a racket that was. But what they didn't realise was that publishers hike up the price (up to 30%) to compensate for eventual fluctuations in the exchange rates. Some bookstores started having sales offering books at the US list price. Most of that is over now that the Loonie has fallen back to about 80 cents US. 

What's especially strange about that is that much of the printing for books sold in America is actually done in Canada.  Canada apparently has a pretty big publishing industry.  You would think that would lower the price some for you guys.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 8:15 am

What's especially strange about that is that much of the printing for books sold in America is actually done in Canada.  Canada apparently has a pretty big publishing industry.  You would think that would lower the price some for you guys.

Same thing with record and CD jackets.  Of course, we don't need those anymore, just like books and newspapers.  I got my blog so I can write my own news and I got GarageBand so I can make my own music.  Now, If I can find away to download some hot wings all be set for life!
:D

Written By: McDonald on 03/30/09 at 9:13 pm

I suppose when people stop buying books, they'll lower the prices. For the moment, they're taking us for what we're willing to give. I try to buy most of my books used anyway. 

French-language books are usually even more expensive, whether or not they are printed here or in France/Belgium/Switzerland.

Written By: shackled on 03/31/09 at 12:31 pm

Are you really that blind? All vegetarians, I trust.
Your food comes neatly packaged and you mumble thanks to your master.

FCUkin' right I'm buying guns.
Please ban me from this wretched site, and then try to take my knives...

Written By: Macphisto on 03/31/09 at 5:42 pm

You might want to read through the whole thread before freaking out.

I support gun rights, and I know that there are others here that do as well.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/31/09 at 5:51 pm

You can't cross back over with alcohol or tobacco unless you've been in the States for at least 48hrs, otherwise you pay tax. So those people must be doing some clever manoeuvring over the border, or they're just plain not telling the border agents and not getting caught. Beer isn't absurdly expensive. I think that is an exaggeration. I do think it is more expensive than it ought to be, that is true. It is the provincial governments' doing. They set a minimum price for a two-four of beer. Quebec is the cheapest province for beer, I've heard, and the minium price for a two-four here is about $22, plus tax, plus bottle deposit. That is more than I would like to pay, but it isn't all that outrageous.

The guy I talked to said a case of beer put him out C$44 and he can get the same brand in Buffalo for like US$22.  Maybe he likes the high-priced stuff.  :-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/31/09 at 6:23 pm

What does vegetarianism have to do with anything? 

Go ahead and buy your guns.  However current law deems that it's very hard to justify shooting your fellow man.  Of course you haven't thought of that angle have you?

As for the knives?  Why do you need them when you have guns? 

Written By: McDonald on 03/31/09 at 7:37 pm

The guy I talked to said a case of beer put him out C$44 and he can get the same brand in Buffalo for like US$22.  Maybe he likes the high-priced stuff.  :-\\

He isn't lying. Ontario is more expensive than Quebec for beer. The fancy, foreign beers cost about that much. You can get it cheaper in Quebec, and even cheaper in the States provided that you stay there for 48 hours before crossing back into Canada. You can even buy it duty free, which really comes back cheap.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/09 at 8:31 pm

Ah, the poetry of rage!  Congrats shacks, you've just doubled your Karma points!
;)

I'm not a vegetarian, so I wonder just who is this Vegetarian Master, does he practice Hari Carrot?
:D

Written By: Satish on 05/07/09 at 4:18 pm

I think the Canadian dollar has declined because the price of oil has fallen so drastically as a result of the financial crisis. Since Canada's economy and currency are so dependent on oil and other commodities, the value of the Canadian dollar tends to track commodity prices. When the price of oil goes up, the Canadian dollar goes up, when oil goes down, the Canadian dollar goes down.

Written By: La Roche on 05/07/09 at 4:22 pm

As for the knives?  Why do you need them when you have guns? 

Because when they take away my guns I'm going to start carrying an even bigger knife.

Written By: Davester on 05/08/09 at 6:01 am

Buy stock in Smith & Wesson...

Written By: philbo on 05/08/09 at 11:23 am

Buy stock in Smith & Wesson...

Don't forget the lock & the barrel

Check for new replies or respond here...