» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Real Life emulates Animal Farm

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/09 at 5:02 am

I found this today in Stars & Stripes.  As I read it, I could not help but think of Boxer from the novel "Animal Farm".

http://www.miamiherald.com/1321/story/971612.html

The only English version I could find is here:

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Mar27/0,4670,CBCubaRetiringOlder,00.html

Viva la revolution!

Subject: Re: Real Life emulates Animal Farm

Written By: danootaandme on 03/30/09 at 7:02 am

And this is different from the US(the richest country in the world) how?

Cuba boosts retirement age as population goes gray

As did the US

Sweeping poverty forces most of Cuba's 2.2 million retirees to get new jobs that enable them to keep a steady income and supplement their pensions. Many barely scrape by, wandering the streets selling peanuts and newspapers or guarding parked cars at hotels for tourists' change.

Just as in the US

www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=46&articleid=20090315_46_E1_RuthRi957815

Retirees un-retire: Many return to work force

Ruth Richards, 67, a fill-in administrative assistant, opens the mail at Life Senior Services Tuesday. Richards recently went back to work following a brief retirement.

She chose not to, and between October and December 2008 her portfolio lost a third of its value. Today, the 67-year-old has returned to work.

"I really did enjoy retirement. People just assume I went back to work because I was bored or tired of retirement, which wasn't the case," Richards said.

Count Richards among many former retirees who have returned to work or postponed retirement in order to pad their retirement savings or simply make ends meet.

A recent study by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants CPA financial planners revealed that 35 percent of their clients who are approaching retirement age are postponing leaving the work force because of economic conditions.

Now even that is harder to do. Faced with an aging population and a life expectancy of 77.3 years, nearly the same as the U.S., Cuba's government has raised the retirement threshold by five years, to 60 for women and 65 for men, delaying the second jobs many have counted on to make ends meet in their old age.

The full retirement age in the US is 65 for everyone, graduating to 67 for those born after 1960

About 90 percent of Cubans have government jobs, and now both sexes must work at least 30 years, not 25, to get a full pension

In the US pensions are pretty much a thing of the past.

State pensions, though small, were once enough to live on in this communist country, where housing and health care are free and the government subsidizes food, utilities and transportation.

The minimum monthly pension was worth about $92 in 1989. Adjusted for inflation, it is now the equivalent of $9.50. 

My father worked for the federal government for 30 years. My mother still collects on his retirement as well as her own social security, a grand total of $850 dollars a month.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/09 at 7:58 am

I would debate that many times.  In fact, traveling through Kuwait and Qatar, I would debate that strongly.

While going from Kuwait City, we drove through several "Villages".  These were a kilometer or so off the main highway.  All you see is what appears to be large apartment buildings.  Block after block of them.  3-4 floors seems to be the standard, probably at least 40,000+ square feet each.

I probably passed 10 or so such "villages".  Most cars I saw would sell for $50k+ in the US.  And the same goes here in Qatar.  Huge luxury SUVs or European sports cars are the rule.  In fact, since last year when Iron Man came out, the Audi R8 has been in particular high demand, even with an MSRP of $108k.

In fact, over 75% of the enlisted ranks of the Qatar military are held by foreign nationals.  Much like the French Foreign Legion (and Roman Legions before), they are highly prized, because after retiring the soldiers recieve Qatar citizenship.

People often have no idea what "rich" really is, until they are truley surrounded by it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 8:06 am

Yeah, I don't think Boxer the horse is a good analogy here.

Anyway, the "retirement" thing was kind of liberal New Deal.  That's the old fashioned way.  We don't need pensions and social security and medicare anymore, right?  You've got your 401K, ROTH IRA, and personal medical savings account, don't you?  If you don't that means you didn't take enough entrepreneurial initiative and personal responsibility so you can go to blazes!
:P

Written By: danootaandme on 03/30/09 at 8:18 am

I would debate that many times.  In fact, traveling through Kuwait and Qatar, I would debate that strongly.

While going from Kuwait City, we drove through several "Villages".  These were a kilometer or so off the main highway.  All you see is what appears to be large apartment buildings.  Block after block of them.  3-4 floors seems to be the standard, probably at least 40,000+ square feet each.

I probably passed 10 or so such "villages".  Most cars I saw would sell for $50k+ in the US.  And the same goes here in Qatar.  Huge luxury SUVs or European sports cars are the rule.  In fact, since last year when Iron Man came out, the Audi R8 has been in particular high demand, even with an MSRP of $108k.

In fact, over 75% of the enlisted ranks of the Qatar military are held by foreign nationals.  Much like the French Foreign Legion (and Roman Legions before), they are highly prized, because after retiring the soldiers recieve Qatar citizenship.

People often have no idea what "rich" really is, until they are truley surrounded by it.

I thought we were talking about Cuba.  Yes, I was right, we are talking about Cuba

Yes there are some truly rich people in these countries.  The wealth of those countries is passed on to the people(citizens), in a more equitable way in terms of general welfare.  Try that here.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/30/09 at 9:49 am

I thought we were talking about Cuba.  Yes, I was right, we are talking about Cuba

Yes there are some truly rich people in these countries.  The wealth of those countries is passed on to the people(citizens), in a more equitable way in terms of general welfare.  Try that here.

Karma to you my dear.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 1:30 pm

Shhhh....don't say "welfare" too loudly, Howie Carr might here you!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/30/09 at 3:57 pm

I would be more worried, if Logan's Run, comes true.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/30/09 at 4:57 pm

There's really no debate that life in America is better than in Cuba.

Something that would greatly improve life in Cuba is to end the Cuban embargo.  Obama talked about this, but so far, he hasn't done anything with it.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/09 at 11:21 pm

We were, but you opened your post by stating:

I would be more worried, if Logan's Run, comes true.

Well, we can always report to the Carousel, in the hopes of Renewal.  8)

Something that would greatly improve life in Cuba is to end the Cuban embargo.  Obama talked about this, but so far, he hasn't done anything with it.

This is something that is brought up every 4 years.  And so far, no President (Democrat or Republican) has seriously considered it.

And I doubt it would make any real change.  The US is already Cuba's 7th largest exporter, with 4.29% of Cuba''s imports comming from the US.

And other then fine Cigars and Rum, I am not sure of any imports we would buy from Cuba.  The produce we got there at one time has long been replaced by other sources.  In fact, they probably already get more from US tourism then they would from exports to the US.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/31/09 at 5:47 pm

This is something that is brought up every 4 years.  And so far, no President (Democrat or Republican) has seriously considered it.

And I doubt it would make any real change.  The US is already Cuba's 7th largest exporter, with 4.29% of Cuba''s imports comming from the US.

And other then fine Cigars and Rum, I am not sure of any imports we would buy from Cuba.  The produce we got there at one time has long been replaced by other sources.  In fact, they probably already get more from US tourism then they would from exports to the US.

I think Obama may actually come through with this promise, if only because Cuban Americans are finally warming up to the idea of ending the embargo.  Younger Cuban Americans are more liberal and less fanatically anti-Castro than their parents and grandparents, and I think they understand that opening trade with Cuba will mostly end this sad practice of Cubans trying to float here on rafts.

Ending the embargo would be more of a favor to Cuba than to us, but that doesn't mean we should neglect the potential that Cuba has as a burgeoning market.  Cuba has plenty of cheap labor, and it could flourish to a much greater extent than Puerto Rico has.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/09 at 8:43 pm

The issue of whether or not to lift the embargo was back in the news today.  There are still a few rabid anti-Castro congressmen (second generation Cuban Americans) who fume at the idea.  Let it go.  Fidel is dying (if he's not dead already) and Raul's gonna run the remainder of the revolution into the ground.  They'll be clients for "market reforms" soon enough.  The problem is, the U.S. might not be there to teach them!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/01/09 at 5:43 am

It is time for the US to "fess up".  The real reason for the embargo wasn't political, it was money.  Organized crime made a killing in Cuba and Cuba under Baptista was as bad, most would say worse, for the common person, but because the ruling classes and underworld were able to make a killing on it the US supported him(Baptista) unconditionally.  It is a truth most would like to ignore.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/01/09 at 9:57 am

It is time for the US to "fess up".  The real reason for the embargo wasn't political, it was money.  Organized crime made a killing in Cuba and Cuba under Baptista was as bad, most would say worse, for the common person, but because the ruling classes and underworld were able to make a killing on it the US supported him(Baptista) unconditionally.  It is a truth most would like to ignore.

Absolutely.  Cuba before '59 was the whore house for the U.S. and it was MUCH worse for the average Cuban

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/09 at 3:40 am

It is time for the US to "fess up".  The real reason for the embargo wasn't political, it was money. 

Are you saying that President Kennedy was in the hip pocket of the Mafia?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/02/09 at 5:55 am

Relations with Cuba broke down, and the embargo started, during the Eisenhower administration after the breakup of the large plantations and nationalization of industry.  The CIA, the mob, and big Cuban money has been instrumental in f***ing things up since then.

Kennedy wasn't in the pocket of the Mafia, his father was part of the Irish equivalent. When Kennedy came in to power his brother Bobby went after the Italian Mob. One of the theories surrounding the assassination is that it was a payback to Joe Kennedy. 

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/09 at 6:45 am

Relations with Cuba broke down, and the embargo started, during the Eisenhower administration after the breakup of the large plantations and nationalization of industry.  The CIA, the mob, and big Cuban money has been instrumental in f***ing things up since then.

Errr, the Embargo dates to 1962.  That was well after Ike left office.

There was an Arms embargo in place in 1958, but Batista was still in power then.  The only action taken before 1962 other then that was a reduction of the amount of sugar imported, and to eliminate importation of Oil  It was not a total embargo at that time, and only reduced, did not eliminate the amount of good imported or exported.

Interestingly, the 1958 Arms Embargo was aimed not only at Castro, but at the Batista regieme as well.  They had ordered thousands of M-1 rifles, which were not delivered because of the embargo.  So in a way, Castro may owe part of his success to an earlier US embargo.  8)

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/cuban-rebels/4-3-58-embargo.htm

There was a Congressional resolution passed in 1961 that authorized a total trade embargo, but the actual implimentation of the embargo was left in the hands of the President.

JFK is the one that put the full embargo into place.  The current embargos were put into effect in 1996 and 1999, under the Clinton administration.

Interestingly, President Bush made no new restrictions against Cuba during his administration.

And overall, the embargo has had no impact on Cuba.  It still imports and exports US goods, it simply does it through other countries (like Mexico, where I went to buy my cigars).

I also find it interesting that right before JFK signed the trade embargo into effect, he ordered over a thousand cigars. 

Written By: danootaandme on 04/02/09 at 7:12 am

Kennedy extended an order begun during the Eisenhower Administration. It all began with the nationalization of business in the late 50s and escalated. All this doesn't change the fact that it is based on the power of money and not for political and social reasons.  The US couldn't care less about the lives of the common people, we have continued to back some pretty gruesome regimes around the world.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/02/09 at 10:30 am

Actually Bush did tighten the embargo by increasing restrictions on travel to Cuba by relatives in the U.S., I think from annually to once every three years, and by further limiting cash flows to Cuban families.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/02/09 at 11:10 am

Actually Bush did tighten the embargo by increasing restrictions on travel to Cuba by relatives in the U.S., I think from annually to once every three years, and by further limiting cash flows to Cuban families.

Not true.  The Cuban Assets Control Regulations (2004) simply makes it illegal to give money or gifts without US approval.  It did nothing to restrict travel to-from Cuba.  And this was simply codifying the restrictions put in place under the Helms-Burton Act (1996).

Kennedy extended an order begun during the Eisenhower Administration. It all began with the nationalization of business in the late 50s and escalated. All this doesn't change the fact that it is based on the power of money and not for political and social reasons.  The US couldn't care less about the lives of the common people, we have continued to back some pretty gruesome regimes around the world.

Of course, how foolish of me.  How could I think that a US arms embargo against the Batista regeime was not the same thing as the embargo Kennedy enacted 4 years later.

And how dare us force others to stop fighting by enacting an arms embargo.  Screw it, stop all arms embargos, and let everybody kill each other.  At least then we can say "It's not out fault"

Written By: danootaandme on 04/02/09 at 1:23 pm

Of course, how foolish of me.  How could I think that a US arms embargo against the Batista regeime was not the same thing as the embargo Kennedy enacted 4 years later.

And how dare us force others to stop fighting by enacting an arms embargo.  Screw it, stop all arms embargos, and let everybody kill each other.  At least then we can say "It's not out fault"

Dwight Eisenhower recognized the new government of Fidel Castro.  Soon after began the agrarian reform and nationalization of industry.  Eisenhower allowed the CIA to help Cuban ex-pats arm and train for the overthrown of Castro.  Exports were halted in 1960.  Eisenhower withdrew the diplomats and closed the embassy.  The Kennedy Administration followed the lead(moneyed interests) of the Eisenhower administration.

THe US supported Baptista who wasn't any better than Castro, if not worse.  There isn't any reason to continue the charade.

Written By: Macphisto on 04/02/09 at 6:05 pm

Well, some people have theorized that JFK was killed in retaliation for screwing up the Bay of Pigs operation.

I'm not saying I necessarily believe this, but there is some evidence supporting this idea.

Check for new replies or respond here...