» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Captain Phillips Rescued... Pirates Snuffed !

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/09 at 4:48 pm

Well maybe there is a reason why no American-flagged commercial ship has been attacked by pirates in over 200 years.

Today the Navy Seals rescued Captain Richard Phillips, and during this operation they rubbed out three of the pirates.  Only one of the mofos survived.  He wisely surrendered when he saw what happened to his homies.

Damn, I am proud to be an American.  :)

And Captain Phillips... man, you got 'nards made out of brass.  The conduct of all Americans in this incident, including Phillips, his crew, and the US military, were in the finest tradition of American maritime service.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Subject: Re: Captain Phillips Rescued... Pirates Snuffed !

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/09 at 5:43 pm

I was coming here to post that he was rescued but you beat me to it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090412/ap_on_re_af/piracy

A fellow Vermonter is safe-YAY!!!!!

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 04/12/09 at 7:23 pm

Those sharpshooters are amazing.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/12/09 at 11:08 pm

That's awesome!

If I was in command of a maritime vessel that operated in that region, this is how I'd deal with pirates:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/boley011/architecture/flamethrower.jpg

A couple of these onboard would be enough to scare them off, and if I had to roast a few of those bastards I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it.

F**k those pirates.  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/12/09 at 11:43 pm

Great news!  Jesus, what an ordeal.  Thank god Captain Phillips is safe.  I was wondering how long they were going to have negotiate with those scumbags -- who might have just killed him anyway. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/13/09 at 10:26 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/13/somalia.pirates.revenge/index.html

Already they plot revenge!

Enter Navy SEALs...tap tap headshot.

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 10:27 am

as usual, things are not necessarily as simple as they appear.

http://tinyurl.com/9h7cq9

The words of one pirate from that lost age, a young British man called William Scott, should echo into this new age of piracy. Just before he was hanged in Charleston, South Carolina, he said: "What I did was to keep me from perishing. I was forced to go a-pirateing to live." In 1991, the government of Somalia collapsed. Its nine million people have been teetering on starvation ever since – and the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country's food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia, tells me: "Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead, and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury – you name it." Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to "dispose" of cheaply. When I asked Mr Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: "Nothing. There has been no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."

At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish stocks by overexploitation – and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m-worth of tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every year by illegal trawlers. The local fishermen are now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the "pirates" have emerged. Somalian fishermen took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia – and ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian news site WardheerNews found 70 per cent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence".

No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters – especially those who have held up World Food Programme supplies. But in a telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali: "We don't consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits those who illegally fish and dump in our seas." William Scott would understand.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/09 at 11:17 am

Yup.

I don't understand why, if there is such a huge problem, the tankers don't find another route.  I would also caution against the feelings of sending out a fighting force as protection.  The Somalian Coast isn't anywhere near the mainland of the USA, and they the cargo ships are private concerns.  I don't see why my tax dollars should go towards providing security for private companies.  I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 11:24 am

Karma for that editorial.

I noticed in the news they didn't bother to mention why Somalis are turning to piracy.  We are just supposed to assume it's because they're vicious and nasty -- and they are, the pirates that is.  

Their country is also dispossessed.  Somalia is in a state of near anarchy with the threat of famine ever present.  Whatever political events transpired in the past twenty years, the average Somali had no say in them.  

Now, as Mr. Hari points out, the rich countries are poisoning their environment and stealing their food.  What would you have them do?  

Can we see similarities among Somali pirates, Afghan terrorists, and Chicago gangsters?  Yes.  They are all starting from zero.  They are all feared and hated, and the blood they shed is never the blood of their true oppressors.

This does not mean we make heroes out of bomb-toting terrorists, urban dope dealers, or pirates off the coast of Africa but understanding why any of these bad actors exist requires analysis beyond the Cheney mantra: "Because they're evil."

What abut the next Captain Phillips?  How many more Captain Phillipses are there to be?  

Are we going to demand our governments and our corporations admit responsibility for their role in setting the stage for the piracy epidemic?  It doesn't look like it.  We haven't event gotten around to that question in the latest panic over the drug wars in Mexico.
::)

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 11:29 am

something about the whole gleefullness over the captain rescue reminds me of when the saddam hussein statue fell or when they captured hussein. people were all rah-rah and i was being a pest, going, dude, this statue thing is complete BS, and everyone came down on me. Someone was all, "The greatest moment of freedom in history and here you are being a wet blanket! i feel SORRY for you!" and here we are six years later, going, hmm. maybe that statue thing wasn't so great after all.

don't get me wrong, i was very impressed with the captain's heroism (more so, frankly, than with the snipers; that was damned risky and could have ended up very differently, although i'm glad it worked). but piling on the somalis as a whole or getting all rah-rah might be a bit premature. if i were the obama administration i'd be dispatching more forces to try and protect the other hostages being held to try and avert reprisals that might undermine US relations with the countries those hostages are from. i dont mean to piss on the parade but this could still backfire.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 11:40 am

I agree, though the situation is rather different from Saddam being deposed. 

That's the danger of the "rah-rah" nationalism.  People really do feel like they're pissing on the parade if they say, "Hey, wait a minute..."

I wanted to bring up some of the same issues as you, but I also thought they might very well kill Captain Phillips, so I put it on hold until he was safe. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/13/09 at 6:43 pm

By the way... thinking about this...

The news reports say that those snipers shot two of the pirates from about 75 yards away when "they popped up their heads".  That is very short range, pretty much a "gimme" for a naval sniper.  Like Tiger Woods playing putt-putt.

Those Naval sniper rifles are extremely high power.  I have to think that those pirates now look like The Headless Horseman.  Had to be one hell of a mess...

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 6:53 pm

By the way... thinking about this...

The news reports say that those snipers shot two of the pirates from about 75 yards away when "they popped up their heads".  That is very short range, pretty much a "gimme" for a naval sniper.  Like Tiger Woods playing putt-putt.

Those Naval sniper rifles are extremely high power.  I have to think that those pirates now look like The Headless Horseman.  Had to be on hell of a mess...
oh man, you hate to ponder that. poor captain guy must have felt like he had a front-row seat at a gallagher concert. he's like, yeah, okay, it's great being hailed as a hero and all, but next time i'm sending the first mate to do that sheesh. "what's that? more pirates lookin' for hostages? gilligan, li'l buddy, looks like you're up."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 8:16 pm

I heard those pirates were three teenagers with rifles. 
:o

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 8:32 pm

like most front-line soldiers, then.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/13/09 at 8:34 pm

And no heads...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 8:59 pm

And no heads...

Arrrr me maties! Draw near and I tell ye the tale of the three teenage headless pirates who haunt these here depths to this day!
:-\\

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 9:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcyGStVc8QY

young turks sound off!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/13/09 at 10:28 pm

And no heads...

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7982/fpsdoug1ei.gif

BOOM! Headshot!

Ninjas 3, Pirates 0. 

If we're talking about SEALs, the only surprise is that the score wasn't 4:0.

Check for new replies or respond here...