» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Chinese Building Materials

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/13/09 at 10:08 am

An article in yeste5rday's Rutland Herald stated that during the housing boom (BOOM) over 500 5thousand tons of dry wall (sheet rock) were imported from China.  This material is now giving off sulfurous gases that smell like rotten eggs and are making people sick. 

Thanks pal. 

Subject: Re: Chinese Building Materials

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 10:24 am

s'okay, most of those houses will probably be abandoned and vandalized within the year anyhow.

that's one of the compounding outrages of this scam -- these mcmansions are so poorly constructed, it's a joke. meanwhile, a bunch of them are being abandoned, wrecked by their residents on the way out as a big eff you to the banks (and i can't say i blame them), model homes are being rented by the builders... there's a youtube profile called, i think, "victory valley," where they're doing videos driving through ghost-neighborhoods, walking through ransacked homes and videoing housing developments abandoned in the middle of construction. it's pretty bleak, stunning stuff. i cant go on to youtube at work so i can't link to it but it's worth checking out.

Written By: Davester on 04/13/09 at 11:27 am

Chinese building materials...at first I thought it was a punchline...

Written By: Jessica on 04/13/09 at 11:39 am

An article in yeste5rday's Rutland Herald stated that during the housing boom (BOOM) over 500 5thousand tons of dry wall (sheet rock) were imported from China.  This material is now giving off sulfurous gases that smell like rotten eggs and are making people sick. 

Thanks pal. 

I wonder if they used that crap in our condo when they remodeled it.  There are times (usually in the summer when it's hot and the humidity is high) that is smells EXACTLY like that in here.  I've been inclined to blame it on the stench from the sewers or something like that, but after hearing about this, I'm rethinking that theory. :-\\  I don't think the wires are corroded, although I should probably take some plates off light switches and check it out.

Was there any suggestion as to what to do if it was found out that that drywall was used?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 11:46 am

I wonder if they used that crap in our condo when they remodeled it.  There are times (usually in the summer when it's hot and the humidity is high) that is smells EXACTLY like that in here.  I've been inclined to blame it on the stench from the sewers or something like that, but after hearing about this, I'm rethinking that theory. :-\\  I don't think the wires are corroded, although I should probably take some plates off light switches and check it out.

Was there any suggestion as to what to do if it was found out that that drywall was used?

It would be worth checking it out, especially since you have a child in your home.  I don't mean to raise your anxiety level here. 

Thank god we got rid of those pesky government regulations, right?  The free market does fine just on its own.  If your contractor uses toxic drywall from China to build your mcmansion then you just, you know, won't use him again and he'll learn his lesson!

Written By: Jessica on 04/13/09 at 12:03 pm

It would be worth checking it out, especially since you have a child in your home.  I don't mean to raise your anxiety level here. 

Thank god we got rid of those pesky government regulations, right?  The free market does fine just on its own.  If your contractor uses toxic drywall from China to build your mcmansion then you just, you know, won't use him again and he'll learn his lesson!

I don't trust anything they did to this place.  After seeing our lobby get flooded from a burst pipe (a pipe that our regular maintenance guy told the owners of the building about because it was a concern of his....but surprise, surprise, they didn't do anything) that caused the ceiling to fall in the exercise room two minutes AFTER everyone had left it......yeah, not a lot of trust there.

When Rice gets home today, I'll have him occupy the kiddo while I inspect wires.  All those years of watching my dad do maintenance stuff is finally paying off. ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 04/13/09 at 3:26 pm

I've been hearing about this for months over at the telecom forum. More CCC (cheap China crap). When are we going to stop this idiotic race to the bottom?

Jess, you ought to be okay - most of the drywall that is bad was installed in southern areas.

The smell you have could be anything really, but I'm also tending to think a sewer problem could be the culprit. If the wiring is corroded in more than one outlet or switch, then it's time to worry (btw, this sheetrock gas also reportedly corrodes other copper components, like AC and refrigerator coils and copper water pipes).

Tia, I couldn't find the link, but I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5yXCrRUxKA&feature=PlayList&p=1FC05D80A0B8C5DB&index=3

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...