» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Travel To Cuba Eased

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/09 at 3:18 pm

Obama is now easing travel to Cuba for Cuban-Americans who have relatives there. They can travel as much as they like to the island instead of only once every 3 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/13/cuba.travel/index.html

Now, if only he would end the embargo. It is obvious that the embargo was total failure. The only thing it did was to make the Cubans suffer while Castro didn't. If the U.S. really wanted to influence the island, it should have allowed American businesses to operate in Cuba and the Cubans would therefore be influenced by the U.S. But NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Our leaders had to continue with a failed policy for 50 years.  ::)

Cat

Subject: Re: Travel To Cuba Eased

Written By: Tia on 04/13/09 at 3:28 pm

next stop: the institution of the amero, wholesale collection of all firearms, the renaming of the U.S. "Lesser Cuba," radical punitive taxes leveled on rush limbaugh's cigars, and the rounding up of all citizens who refuse to take the "BaraCastro MusloCommunist loyalty oath" into FEMA camps adapted from old NASCAR tracks and converted Wal*Mart stores. Oh, and Glenn Beck is going to be immolated in gasoline and set alight by patty hearst.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 4:30 pm

Cuba would make the ideal Spring Break destination.  Just don't get busted with drugs! 

Castro's Cuba is going to have to reform.  It wouldn't hurt for the U.S. to remove all travel restrictions.  Obama's made a good start, though. 

Written By: Macphisto on 04/13/09 at 10:13 pm

Now, if they'd just drop the embargo altogether.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/13/09 at 11:24 pm

I wonder if the price of Cuban Cigars is going to go down.  I mean if you can get them through Cuban and U.S. customs while doing the vacation thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 11:34 pm

I wonder if the price of Cuban Cigars is going to go down.  I mean if you can get them through Cuban and U.S. customs while doing the vacation thing.

Hmmm....I didn't peg you as a cigar smoker!
;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/13/09 at 11:36 pm

Hmmm....I didn't peg you as a cigar smoker!
;)

Nope capitalist, I figured while I'm down there bugging Fidel I'd pick up a few and sell them on ebay.  However I have actually smoke a half of a cigar . . . till I felt queasy.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/14/09 at 10:22 am

This is a good first step.

Cuban cigars RULE.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/14/09 at 12:32 pm

This is a good first step.

Cuban cigars RULE.

I'd like to have a few Cubans too...cigars that is.

Written By: Satish on 04/14/09 at 4:06 pm

The bad thing about the embargo is that it's enforced by the US government against non-US individuals and businesses, too. Say, there's a business in France, Brazil or Japan that tries to do business in Cuba but also does business in the United States, as well. That business risks having legal action taken against it by US authorities and having its assets in the US seized. It's fine for the US government to enact punitive trade embargoes against a country, but imposing its foreign policy agenda on the rest of the world is going too far.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/15/09 at 4:56 am

Obama is now easing travel to Cuba for Cuban-Americans who have relatives there. They can travel as much as they like to the island instead of only once every 3 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/13/cuba.travel/index.html

Now, if only he would end the embargo. It is obvious that the embargo was total failure. The only thing it did was to make the Cubans suffer while Castro didn't. If the U.S. really wanted to influence the island, it should have allowed American businesses to operate in Cuba and the Cubans would therefore be influenced by the U.S. But NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Our leaders had to continue with a failed policy for 50 years.  ::)

Cat

The problem in Cuba was American business and the way in which it was run.  The true reason for the embargo wasn't political, it was because Castro, not liking the way Americans ran their companies(and rightfully so), nationalized them.  American then froze all Cuban assets in the states.  If the U.S. really wanted to influence the island they would have told American business that business as usual would have to change, which is exactly the same thing they are just getting around to doing here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/09 at 10:59 am

The problem in Cuba was American business and the way in which it was run.  The true reason for the embargo wasn't political, it was because Castro, not liking the way Americans ran their companies(and rightfully so), nationalized them.  American then froze all Cuban assets in the states.  If the U.S. really wanted to influence the island they would have told American business that business as usual would have to change, which is exactly the same thing they are just getting around to doing here.

I am aware of that. However, I still think if the U.S. hasn't had this stupid embargo for the last 50 years, I'm sure American businesses would have been able to find a way around Castro's nationalization of industry. But, by isolating the island, they allowed what they were "protesting" against to last for 50 years.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/16/09 at 6:01 am

I want to go to Cuba, so I can visit the Copacabana.

I wonder if Lola and Tony still work there? ???

Written By: McDonald on 04/16/09 at 7:21 am

It's racist to only allow people of Cuban descent to visit cuba. Let everyone go. This embargo has done nothing but keep Castro and his régime in power.

Cuba is actually a popular, maybe even the most popular tourist destination for Canadians. In the dead of winter when you want to take a week of sunshine therapy, Cuba is a good and inexpensive vacation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/09 at 12:25 pm

It's racist to only allow people of Cuban descent to visit cuba. Let everyone go. This embargo has done nothing but keep Castro and his régime in power.

Cuba is actually a popular, maybe even the most popular tourist destination for Canadians. In the dead of winter when you want to take a week of sunshine therapy, Cuba is a good and inexpensive vacation.

We go to Puerto Rico. But then again, we have family there.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...