» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Freddie Mac Official Found Dead

Written By: KKay on 04/22/09 at 8:00 am

This does not bode well for a feeling of confidence in our banks...
Rats jumping ship is not a good sign..

WASHINGTON (AP) — David Kellermann, the acting chief financial officer of Freddie Mac, was found dead at his home Wednesday morning in what broadcast reports said was an apparent suicide.

Kellermann's death is the latest blow to Freddie Mac, a government controlled company that owns or guarantees about 13 million home loans. CEO David Moffett resigned last month.

McLean, Va.-based Freddie Mac and sibling company Fannie Mae, which together own or back more than half of the home mortgages in the country, have been hobbled by skyrocketing loan defaults and have received about $60 billion in combined federal aid.
Kellermann was named acting chief financial officer in September 2008, after the resignation of Anthony "Buddy" Piszel, who stepped down after the September 2008 government takeover. The chief financial officer is responsible for the company's financial controls, financial reporting and oversight of the company's budget and financial planning.

Subject: Re: Freddie Mac Official Found Dead

Written By: Tia on 04/22/09 at 8:51 am

i'd say suicide is more like going down with the ship. but yes, this news is rather spooky.

Written By: KKay on 04/22/09 at 9:42 am

i'd say suicide is more like going down with the ship. but yes, this news is rather spooky.

good point. 

it was the first thing on the radio this morning..making for a wonderful, grey day.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/09 at 5:56 pm

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
      And it shows them pearly white
      Just a Freddie has old Mac, babe
      And he keeps it … ah … out of sight.

Ya know when that shark bites, with his teeth, babe
      Scarlet billows start to spread
      Fancy gloves, though, wears old FredMac, babe
      So there’s nevah, nevah a trace of red.

Now on the sidewalk … uuh, huh … whoo … sunny mornin’ … uuh, huh
      Lies a body just oozin' life … eeek!
      And someone’s sneakin' ‘round the corner
      Could that someone be (Freddie) Mac the Knife?

A-there's a tugboat … huh, huh, huh … down by the river don’tcha know
      Where a cement bag’s just a'droopin' on down
      Oh, that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear
      Five'll get ya ten Freddie Mac’s back in town.

Now, d'ja hear ‘bout Louie Miller? He disappeared, babe
      After drawin' out all his hard-earned cash
      And Freddie Mac spends just like a sailor
      Could it be our boy's done somethin' rash?

Now … Jenny Diver … ho, ho … yeah … Sukey Tawdry     
      Ooh … Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown
      Oh, the line forms on the right, babe
      Now that Macky’s back in town.

Aah … I said Jenny Diver … whoa … Sukey Tawdry
      Look out to Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown
      Yes, that line forms on the right, babe
      Now that Macky’s back in town …

Look out … old Macky is back!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/09 at 7:00 pm

^Karma +1
:D

I'd like to think the guy's conscience was eating him alive...but probably not.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/22/09 at 8:11 pm

There are lots of people at Fannie and Freddie who have skeletons in their closet, and no way to silence them all.  You don't spend 16 years of your life in that sort of environment, nor do you take a C-level position, unless you're willing to keep your mouth shut. 

So I'm going with suicide unless proven otherwise.  Poor bastard had plenty of motivation - having seen his life's work, probably a good chunk of his wealth, but most importantly for a semi-political appointee, the loss of his family's social position within the Aristocracy of Pull - all gone, I can see that he'd see himself in a position to hit the reset button.

But since I'm going to be paying for his mistakes for the rest of my life...

http://www.spidersparlor.com/fark/freddiemac.jpg

...I feel no guilt for having cracked a smile when the Internets supplied me with that image, early this morning, even though the body was still probably warm.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/09 at 9:51 pm

Being a crook doesn't hurt your career in Washington, unless you're a crook who fails to kiss the right asses the right number of times!
8)

Written By: philbo on 04/23/09 at 5:39 pm

I'd say that someone thought the banking system needed a shot in the arm... and missed

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/09 at 8:13 pm

I'd say that someone thought the banking system needed a shot in the arm... and missed

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign10.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/09 at 10:17 pm

How did this guy die?  I have not seen anything in the papers as to the HOW.

Gunshot? Hanging? Drug OD?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/09 at 11:40 pm

Gunshot? Hanging? Drug OD?   ???

Hey, buddy, you know they say asking a lot questions ain't yer business can be fatal too, so you see what I'm gettin' at, huh?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/cwm10.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 04/24/09 at 5:26 am

Gunshot? Hanging? Drug OD?   ???

Actually, I am wondering if something else happened.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014883629

This guy was shot, had a gunshot wound, and died by hanging.

Is this the Housing Scandal, or The Godfather III?

The more I learn (or do not learn) of what happened, the more I am reminded of Roberto Calvi.

Written By: philbo on 04/24/09 at 5:38 am

The more I learn (or do not learn) of what happened, the more I am reminded of Roberto Calvi.

God's Banker?

With him it was the mafia, wasn't it?

Shot, then found hanging?  Jus' makkin' shure..

Written By: Mushroom on 04/24/09 at 8:19 am

God's Banker?

With him it was the mafia, wasn't it?

Shot, then found hanging?  Jus' makkin' shure..

Yep, that's him.

Written By: KKay on 04/24/09 at 9:19 am

NICE

Actually, I am wondering if something else happened.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014883629

This guy was shot, had a gunshot wound, and died by hanging.

Is this the Housing Scandal, or The Godfather III?

Shot while falling out a window...

I always think suicide is a guilty plea...but for some reason it's always spun the other way.  I don't think anyone buys it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/09 at 11:19 am

He's prolly up there having a beer with Vince Foster!
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/24/09 at 5:18 pm

NICE

Shot while falling out a window...

I always think suicide is a guilty plea...but for some reason it's always spun the other way.  I don't think anyone buys it.

Kinda reminds me of back when I lived in Indiana.  This guy died from 32 blows to the head by a claw hammer, and the authorities ruled it a suicide.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19860403&id=blMNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RW4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3596,1262776

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/09 at 5:49 pm

Kinda reminds me of back when I lived in Indiana.  This guy died from 32 blows to the head by a claw hammer, and the authorities ruled it a suicide.

It depends on the force and the strike areas of the blows.  If 28 of the 32 were light taps...

Well, you get the general idea.

No, self-inflicted, it's unlikely to result in death.  I read a grisly account of a woman who tried it by whacking herself over the head with a sledgehammer.  Death?  No.  Brain damage and Parkinsonian symptoms?  Yes.
:(

Written By: Mushroom on 04/24/09 at 7:09 pm

Iraq claimed more or less the same thing happened to Abu Nidal.  He died after he shot himself multiple times in the head.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/09 at 7:59 am

As an aside... At my company over the past few months we signed up a new company as one of our customers.  There was this guy (I'll call him Joe) who was responsible for getting us in there once we showed we could do the job.

About a month or so ago he got fired.  His company (in a shabby showing, IMHO) called and told us that he had been terminated "but it did not have anything to do with business".

Anyway this week we learned that he committed suicide late last week.  I hardly knew him, met him only once, but what a shocker.  :-[

I did some research on him, and it looks like he had a long series of short-lived (but fairly nice) jobs.  I am guessing maybe he was a drug addict or alcoholic.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/25/09 at 7:26 pm

As an aside... At my company over the past few months we signed up a new company as one of our customers.  There was this guy (I'll call him Joe) who was responsible for getting us in there once we showed we could do the job.

About a month or so ago he got fired.  His company (in a shabby showing, IMHO) called and told us that he had been terminated "but it did not have anything to do with business".

Anyway this week we learned that he committed suicide late last week.  I hardly knew him, met him only once, but what a shocker.  :-[

I did some research on him, and it looks like he had a long series of short-lived (but fairly nice) jobs.  I am guessing maybe he was a drug addict or alcoholic.  :-\\

Sounds like a combination of substance abuse and mental illness.  Bipolar disorder often results on that kind of employment record.  Bipolars have a high risk of suicide on the downswing. 

Sometimes the guys who are really REALLY planning to do it carry on like normal and don't let on to what they're up to.  They want to go, and they don't want any Good Samaritans intervening.

:(

Check for new replies or respond here...