» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Torturegate

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/09 at 11:38 am

Well, it seems like the plot thickens as well as the evidence that the Bush Administration had manipulated the law so they can use illegal procedures. What cracked me up is that Dick Cheney is STILL trying to justify it-calling for MORE memos to be unclassified.  :o :o :o  Yeah, this coming from Dick "Mr. Secret-In an Undisclosed Location" Cheney who never wanted to answer to ANYTHING by trying to establish that the office of the Vice President was neither in the Executive Branch nor in the Legislative Branch of the government.  ???  And his claims don't add up. He said that these "techniques" thwarted a plot to destroy a building in L.A. but the plot was thwarted 6 months BEFORE they used this torture. As usual, Cheney is lying through his teeth. I don't think he would know the truth if it bit him on the ass.   

I started this poll a few months ago:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35759.0

With all the evidence that is coming to light now, do you feel the same way you did back when you voted in that poll?

I still feel the same way I did back then-investigations/prosecutions HAVE to take place. These people need to be held accountable for their crimes against the Constitution, crimes against the Geneva Conventions, & crimes against humanity! 

It does bother me that Obama seems to be dragging his feet on this issue. I know he is doing it because of political reasons but it HAS to be done if the Obama Administration wants to preserve the Constitution. If these people are not held accountable, than every president from here on could do the exact same thing.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cat

Subject: Re: Torturegate

Written By: Tia on 04/24/09 at 11:53 am

i think the justice department should investigate it and obama should take great pains to be hands off. and if pelosi and reid ever signed off on waterboarding they should be prosecuted as well.

i think i've sorta changed my mind since before i was sorta like, ugh, i dont even wanna deal. but obama keeps saying let's put this behind us, and it turns out the only way to put it behind us is to deal with it and get it into the open. otherwise it's just never going to go away.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/09 at 1:02 pm

This cracks me up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-borowitz/cheney-starts-pro-torture_b_191119.html

In his most aggressive public relations move since leaving office, former Vice President Dick Cheney today established a Facebook page for fans of torture.

In recent weeks, Mr. Cheney has been speaking out in praise of such controversial interrogation tactics as waterboarding, but in establishing his Facebook page the vice president seems to be attempting something far more amibitious: creating a social network for torture fans everywhere.

"This is a place where fans of waterboarding can meet, chat, and yes, hook up," Mr. Cheney told Fox News host Sean Hannity last night.

The former vice president extolled his torture fan page as a dating site, telling Mr. Hannity, "This way when you go out on a date with somebody you know going in how he or she feels about waterboarding. I think that's important in building a long-term and hopefully loving relationship. It's certainly something Lynne and I share."

But based on the tepid early response to Mr. Cheney's torture fan page - only he and his wife Lynne have signed up to date - the vice-president may face obstacles in creating a social network of waterboarding fans.

"I can't think of a creepier place to hook up with someone than a site that Dick Cheney is involved in," said Tracy Klugian, 27, of Madison, Wisconsin. "I'd feel like someone was always watching me."

At the White House, Vice President Joe Biden was harshly critical of his predecessor's remarks on torture, telling reporters, "Dick Cheney had eight years to run his mouth without thinking. That's my job now."

I really wonder if this is true because it just seems like something you will find on the Onion. I tried to find the interview on YouTube but couldn't and I am not on Facebook so I can't look there. If anyone knows if this is true or not, please let me know.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/09 at 5:57 pm

If the bad guys caught Mr. Cheney, he'd break down and cry like a little girl before they even touched him.  Ditto Rummy. 
::)

Written By: Frank on 04/25/09 at 1:34 am

If the bad guys caught Mr. Cheney, he'd break down and cry like a little girl before they even touched him.  Ditto Rummy. 

LMAO  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/09 at 8:01 am

I would imagine you could say this about a LOT of people.

If you recall, when the Reds had John McCain in captivity, they beat the cr@p outta him on a regular basis until he gave them the statement that they wanted.

It is hard to tell how long you would hold out until you're in that situation.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/25/09 at 10:08 am

I have always been in favor of prosecution and remain so.  I just read in today's paper that the U.N. is insisting on prosecutions as well.  One way or another, these guys are going down.  I just hope we have tyhe cojones to do it ourselves, and not pass the buck to the International Courts.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/09 at 11:58 am

I have always been in favor of prosecution and remain so.  I just read in today's paper that the U.N. is insisting on prosecutions as well.  One way or another, these guys are going down.  I just hope we have tyhe cojones to do it ourselves, and not pass the buck to the International Courts.

International courts are a joke.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/25/09 at 7:07 pm

Tautology of the week:

America does not torture, therefore, it is not torture if America does it.
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/09 at 1:48 am

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them. The Party intellectual knows in which direction his memories must be altered; he therefore knows that he is playing tricks with reality; but by the  exercise of doublethink he also satisfies himself that reality is not violated.  The process has to be conscious, or it would not be carried out with sufficient precision, but it also has to be unconscious, or it would bring with it a feeling of falsity and hence of guilt.  Doublethink lies at the very heart of Ingsoc, since the essential act of the Party is to use conscious deception while retaining the firmness of purpose that goes with complete honesty.  To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all  the while to take account of the reality which one denies -- all this is indispensably necessary.  Even in using the word "doublethink" it is necessary to exercise doublethink.  For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.  Ultimately it is by means of doublethink that the Party has been able -- and may, for all we know, continue to be able for thousands of years -- to arrest the course of history."

- from George Orwell's functional specification and HOWTO guide.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/26/09 at 10:31 am

So long as you don't find yourself outside the U.S.  Ask Slobovidan Milosivic.  Why do you think Henry the K no longer leaves home?

Written By: philbo on 04/27/09 at 5:37 am

i think the justice department should investigate it and obama should take great pains to be hands off.

Agreed - I think it shows a huge failing of justice that this is even considered to be Obama's decision.  If necessary, he should set a precedent for being a president who doesn't interfere with the workings of the judicial system, even if it involves a preceeding president.

Only for arrogant Americans who think that international law is something that only applies to weaker nations.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/09 at 5:57 am

Only for arrogant Americans who think that international law is something that only applies to weaker nations.

Thus it is a joke.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/27/09 at 2:10 pm

Dubya had two dangerous men in his life....Dick Cheney and his father.

Both were in the CIA and the CIA is slightly illegal.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/09 at 5:37 pm

I am totally dumbfounded here. According to a Pew poll, more people who attend church says it is ok to torture some of the time.  :o :o :o  I guess torture is the Christian thing to do.  :-\\

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1210/torture-opinion-religious-differences?src=prc-latest&proj=peoplepress

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/01/why-are-frequent-churchgoers-more-likely-to-support-torture/

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/09 at 6:22 pm

So long as you don't find yourself outside the U.S.  Ask Slobovidan Milosivic.  Why do you think Henry the K no longer leaves home?

If any member of the Bush Administration leaves the country they'd be nabbed and put on trial.  I know Bush has some secret service protection but I'm not sure if it there if he goes overseas.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/02/09 at 10:48 am

If any member of the Bush Administration leaves the country they'd be nabbed and put on trial.  I know Bush has some secret service protection but I'm not sure if it there if he goes overseas.

I imagine the SS would go over seas with him, but that wouldn't stop the authorities from nabbing him as long as a warrent had been issued.  Same would be true here.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/02/09 at 2:20 pm

He went to Toronto with Bill Clinton a week ago.

Maybe if he stays with Clinton...nothing will happen!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/02/09 at 2:36 pm

I imagine the SS would go over seas with him, but that wouldn't stop the authorities from nabbing him as long as a warrent had been issued.  Same would be true here.

I'm afraid the "authorities" would be in for a rude awakening.  Those secret service details pack an awesome array of firepower, and any effort to take a former president into custody by force would be quite a bloody mess.  The secret service agents would not hesitate for one moment to use it either...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/03/09 at 10:10 am

So Clinton is now his bodyguard . . .  who would have thought.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/03/09 at 10:34 am

No one has filed charges against him, or any other members of his admin at this point, so naturally he was not arrested.
I'm afraid the "authorities" would be in for a rude awakening.  Those secret service details pack an awesome array of firepower, and any effort to take a former president into custody by force would be quite a bloody mess.  The secret service agents would not hesitate for one moment to use it either...

I think not, not if there was a warrant for his arrest.  In a scenario such as yours  there would be hell to pay, a major international incident.  But it's not going to happen.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/03/09 at 7:08 pm

No one has filed charges against him, or any other members of his admin at this point, so naturally he was not arrested.

Well...don't hold your breath on Bush being sent to jail. And in my opinion...Bush is imprisoned...by his father and Dick Cheney!...And his wife!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/09 at 9:04 pm

The "SS" was his administration!
:o

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/04/09 at 9:49 am

The "SS" was his administration!
:o

Yeah.  That's why just the letters

Check for new replies or respond here...