» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: GM Loses Pontiac

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/27/09 at 2:19 pm

It looks like GM is sending Pontiac to the auto grave site with Packard, Oldsmobile, and Plymouth.

Subject: Re: GM Loses Pontiac

Written By: nally on 04/27/09 at 3:32 pm

I didn't know that. Heck, I didn't even know that Oldsmobile was obsolete now..as well as Plymouth (which was manufactured by Chrysler Motors).

Written By: Macphisto on 04/27/09 at 4:52 pm

Yep, and Saturn, Saab, and Hummer are disappearing as well.

Chrysler will probably be next.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/27/09 at 5:31 pm

I thought Saturn was doing well.

Written By: Macphisto on 04/27/09 at 5:33 pm

I wish...  They're letting them go in 2010.  They'll either be scrapped or sold to another company.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/27/09 at 5:37 pm

Wow, too bad.  They make good cars.

Written By: Macphisto on 04/27/09 at 5:38 pm

Wow, too bad.  They make good cars.

Agreed...  I have one...  :(  My Astra isn't going to resale well unless they rebadge it under Chevy or something.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/09 at 6:44 pm

Saturn has been losing money (moreso than the other divisions) for a while.

Now as for Pontiac, I have usually liked their cars.  But for my taste,THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME.  Same front end, same rear quarter look.  That has to really cut into the brand appeal for the line.

I always wanted to get a Hummer but I guess it is too late now.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/09 at 7:37 pm

Saab is going out of business?'
???

I always associate Pontiacs with my grandmother; it was her brand of choice.  On the one hand it was odd because Pontiac was the brand GM marketed to younger folks, on the other it made sense 'coz grandma drove like a maniac!
:o

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/09 at 8:02 pm

I always associate Pontiacs with my grandmother; it was her brand of choice.  On the one hand it was odd because Pontiac was the brand GM marketed to younger folks, on the other it made sense 'coz grandma drove like a maniac!
:o

Did Granny drive one of those Firebirds with the "Screaming Chicken" hood decal? ???

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/09 at 8:11 pm

Did Granny drive one of those Firebirds with the "Screaming Chicken" hood decal? ???

;D

Nah, she drove the more conservative sedan models, like the Le Mans.  True story though, she was quite taken with a Trans-Am in the showroom, but my uncle advised her otherwise!
;D

She drove fast for an old lady but never got a ticket.  She'd just throw on the sweet grandma charm when she got pulled over.  "Eighty-five?  Oh, I'm most dreadfully sorry, officer!"
"Just, uh, just keep your speeds down, ma'am.  Have a nice day."

In the same situation, my dad would say something like "I gotta piss so bad I can taste it!"
:P

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/27/09 at 9:12 pm

For a car guy this is a kick in the stomach. The end of Pontiac, the memories of the GTO, Firebird, Trans Am (yes, w/the screaming chicken) and the Fiero (the last few years anyway) all gone.

Of the divisions that the General needs to drop, I would of thought it would be Buick, not Pontiac.
In my mind, at least GM could actually benefit from a performance minded/focused division. Whereas both Chevrolet and Cadillac already cover similar markets that Buick does.

GM is still thinking in its old mode, in that mindset they're right, Pontiac isn't viable as a division with multiple models selling clones of Chevy's with a Pontiac arrow on the grille, thats what got them into the mess their in to begin with. For years Pontiac, the performance division had been selling sporty cars with absolutely no ability or sporting intentions at all. These guys tried to sell us the T1000 which was nothing more than a Chevy "Shove-it" with a red Pontiac emblem on the grille, stuff like that kills any notion that they know what they're doing. :P

BUT, Pontiac would be fine as a low volume seller, with just three models, a coupe, a sedan and a sports car (like the Solstice). Make sure these cars are true performance cars, targeting a market similar to BMW or maybe Acura, and they'd make out fine.

I guess I'm expecting to much, after all Pontiac for years has been trying to sell us cars called Gran Prix, Grand Am, Bonneville, Trans Am and Le Mans and none of them ever ran in or was associated with those races! ::)

Just think, had it not been for Pontiac and the GTO we wouldn't of ever had John Z DeLorean or Back to the Future. :D

Written By: tv on 05/02/09 at 6:49 pm

For a car guy this is a kick in the stomach. The end of Pontiac, the memories of the GTO, Firebird, Trans Am (yes, w/the screaming chicken) and the Fiero (the last few years anyway) all gone.

Of the divisions that the General needs to drop, I would of thought it would be Buick, not Pontiac.
In my mind, at least GM could actually benefit from a performance minded/focused division. Whereas both Chevrolet and Cadillac already cover similar markets that Buick does.

GM is still thinking in its old mode, in that mindset they're right, Pontiac isn't viable as a division with multiple models selling clones of Chevy's with a Pontiac arrow on the grille, thats what got them into the mess their in to begin with. For years Pontiac, the performance division had been selling sporty cars with absolutely no ability or sporting intentions at all. These guys tried to sell us the T1000 which was nothing more than a Chevy "Shove-it" with a red Pontiac emblem on the grille, stuff like that kills any notion that they know what they're doing. :P

BUT, Pontiac would be fine as a low volume seller, with just three models, a coupe, a sedan and a sports car (like the Solstice). Make sure these cars are true performance cars, targeting a market similar to BMW or maybe Acura, and they'd make out fine.

I guess I'm expecting to much, after all Pontiac for years has been trying to sell us cars called Gran Prix, Grand Am, Bonneville, Trans Am and Le Mans and none of them ever ran in or was associated with those races! ::)

Just think, had it not been for Pontiac and the GTO we wouldn't of ever had John Z DeLorean or Back to the Future. :D
Well Buick is popular in China but in America its known as an older person's brand. I know Buick had the highest average buyer of any nameplate in the US but that was a couple years ago I'm not sure about now though.

I mean your right though why sell Buick in America when Pontiac outsells Buicks in America.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/02/09 at 10:05 pm

I'm not too attached to Pontiac. The only one I've ever owned was a Fiero, which was aptly nicknamed the "Fire Arrow" for its propensity to overheat, catch fire, and burn to the ground. Mine did nothing so spectacular, it just wasn't a good car in its earlier years. A 2010 or 2011 redesigned Fiero that was reliable would be super cool to see. Guess I won't ever get to see it.

My sister has a Vibe. The car is rough, not because it's a Pontiac though.  ;D

Ant

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/02/09 at 11:33 pm

I think it's sad to see Pontiac go away.

When I was a kid I once fantasized about owning a Trans Am!  ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/03/09 at 1:02 am

I'm far from being a kid and I still want a black '77 Trans Am!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3617/3496441132_7ff8746617_m.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/03/09 at 1:47 am

Here's the worst part: Pontiac recently began selling the G8 GXP, which is a rebadged Holden Commodore but which could quite possibly be the best vehicle ever to wear the Pontiac arrowhead. It has been described as being like a BMW 5-series with a Corvette engine (which of course is a small-block Chevy V-8, and you all know how fond I am of those).

And now they're gonna sh!tcan it.  :(

http://www.thetorquereport.com/pontiacg8gxp.jpg

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/03/09 at 4:17 am

Here's the worst part: Pontiac recently began selling the G8 GXP, which is a rebadged Holden Commodore but which could quite possibly be the best vehicle ever to wear the Pontiac arrowhead. It has been described as being like a BMW 5-series with a Corvette engine (which of course is a small-block Chevy V-8, and you all know how fond I am of those).

Yep, your right on about that.
It seems with the General, as soon as they figure out how to get it right, they kill it. I was thinking about that...
'69 Corvair, worked out the "issues" with that, great design, great car, axed.
'88 Fiero GT, proper rear end/sweet handling, nice flying buttress styling, V6 motor with some grunt, killed.
Bonneville GXP, got rid of the ugly body cladding and added a sweet V8, best handling large car Pontiac ever had, dropped.

I heard a lot of good things with the GXP, but there was always some hesitanty about it, like it wasn't going to be around very long, and now thats come to pass too. Only thing I can say, if you got the $$$ buy a G8 GXP to drive and one to put in the garage, 'cause they are going to be a collectors item without a doubt. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/09 at 9:32 pm

Ah, the screaming chicken!  I did too when I saw "Smokey and the Bandit"!  Then when I got my license, I was a bubblegum Marxist and thought muscle cars were a bunch of stupid redneck crap....

:-\\

Written By: La Roche on 05/03/09 at 11:11 pm

You can however, import any Holden and GM will service it.

Check for new replies or respond here...