» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Specter goes Dem!

Written By: Tia on 04/28/09 at 12:31 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090428/pl_nm/us_usa_senate_specter_3

holy cow! i did NOT see this coming!  :o except i sorta did; he was facing a tough primary battle with a wingnut republican opponent, in keeping with the misguided republican strategy of tacking to the right in the interest of regaining their popularity. apparently between this and al franken the republicans are on the verge of losing filibuster capability.

the next defector to look for is olympia snowe. pretty soon all the moderates in the republican party will be gone.

Subject: Re: Specter goes Dem!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/09 at 12:47 pm

HOLY SH!T, BATMAN!!!!  :o :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/28/09 at 12:49 pm

Typical Democrat flip flopper.  ::)

Written By: Tia on 04/28/09 at 12:51 pm

Typical Democrat flip flopper.  ::)
fixed

Written By: Tia on 04/28/09 at 1:59 pm

http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/specter2.jpg

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/28/09 at 2:09 pm

http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/specter2.jpg

I was gonna say WTF but now I see "Wonkette."  That explains everything.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/28/09 at 2:43 pm

YES!!!  I am so happy!!!  Snarlin' Arlen had put up with being kick around by Republicans for far too long.  Not to mention the fact that I get to vote for him in the Primary now.  :) :) :)

Written By: Tia on 04/28/09 at 2:51 pm

I was gonna say WTF but now I see "Wonkette."  That explains everything.
wonkette rules!

Written By: philbo on 04/28/09 at 3:09 pm

Ah.. not this Spector, then

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/09 at 3:12 pm

Ah.. not this Spector, then

Nope-that Spector goes prison.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/28/09 at 3:23 pm

Nope-that Spector goes prison.

Cat

Yeah...for his hair! ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/28/09 at 8:27 pm

You know if (when ) Franken gets in Dems will have a filibuster!!! :)

Written By: Macphisto on 04/28/09 at 9:00 pm

You mean a filibuster-proof majority.

Granted, this is assuming the Democrats and the 2 Independents can all agree on something.  If nothing else, this is just more proof that the GOP has lost its way and needs to seriously rethink its stances.

Groups like the Religious Right may end up creating their own party, since trying to appease them has only damaged the GOP.  If the GOP wants to have any significant leadership in the near future, they will have to be more Libertarian in nature.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/28/09 at 9:43 pm

Who cares?  He'll vote the same way.  He was already voting with the democrats 60% of the time.  At least now he's being honest.

The polls had Arlen Specter down 21 points to republican primary challenger; conservative Pat Toomey.  This is just an attempt by him to keep hold of power since it became obvious he couldn't win the republican primary in 2010.

Now he runs the risk of having happen to him what happened to Greg Laughlin in 1996: switching parties and losing the new party primary.  What is to stop a democrat from running to Specter's left and beating him in a democrat primary?  Will democrats really turn out to vote for a guy the democrat party until today was trashing?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/09 at 10:08 pm

Oh boy is this great!
;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/28/09 at 10:40 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/28/limbaugh-to-specter-take_n_192382.html

Rush thinks McCain should join him...

here's a hint Rush, the more moderates you push out of your party, the less likely it'll be anything more than a regional party.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/09 at 10:49 pm

here's a hint Rush, the more moderates you push out of your party, the less likely it'll be anything more than a regional party.

"A National Party No More" was the title of Zell Miller's book from 2004...he was referring to the Democratic party. 

The Repubs and right-wing Dems like Zell did their best to demonize and marginalize the "Democrat party."  Give 'em enough rope!  Now people are talking about the GOP being a national party no more!  If the Dems get their filibuster-proof majority, I don't want to here them talking like Newt.  No smugness.  No swagger.  In politics, pride comes before a fall.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/28/09 at 10:49 pm

They already had that with Specter, Snowe and Collins.  Just because Specter no longer has an 'R' behind his name doesn't change anything.

Specter, Snowe and Collins for Ben Nelson (NOT Bill), Jon Tester and Jim Webb.  How 'bout it?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/09 at 1:38 am

Not really that big of a deal.

Ol' One Bullet Spectre has been voting more or less Dem for quite a while.  His switch to the Dem Party has nothing to do with his political ideals and all to do with his political ambitions.

He knew he would not win a Repub primary, so he's become an OFFICIAL Democrat so that he can get O'Bama and Rendell to fund raise for him.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/29/09 at 9:42 am

Not really that big of a deal.

Ol' One Bullet Spectre has been voting more or less Dem for quite a while.  His switch to the Dem Party has nothing to do with his political ideals and all to do with his political ambitions.

He knew he would not win a Repub primary, so he's become an OFFICIAL Democrat so that he can get O'Bama and Rendell to fund raise for him.

Toomey scares the crap out of me.  He scares anyone who is ever remotely moderate be they either party.  You know my feelings about "Fast Eddie".  Rendell isn't the draw . . . it's Obama.

Written By: Tia on 04/29/09 at 9:44 am

Toomey scares the crap out of me.  He scares anyone who is ever remotely moderate be they either party.  You know my feelings about "Fast Eddie".  Rendell isn't the draw . . . it's Obama.
toomey would never have gotten anywhere near winning the general election, not with pennsylvania having the demographic it has at the moment. it was specter or another democrat, and specter wisely switched. i think it's funny the republicans are doing things explicitly that are going to lose them seats, like running far right candidates in swing states. it's like theyre suicidal. which is fine with me.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/29/09 at 9:51 am

toomey would never have gotten anywhere near winning the general election, not with pennsylvania having the demographic it has at the moment. it was specter or another democrat, and specter wisely switched. i think it's funny the republicans are doing things explicitly that are going to lose them seats, like running far right candidates in swing states. it's like theyre suicidal. which is fine with me.

Rick had to learn the hard way.  He was so sure Bob Casey didn't stand a chance.  Suicidal because they're unwilling to see and accept diversity in their own party.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/09 at 12:09 pm

It is very entertaining to watch what is left of the Republican Party going kamikaze. I just can't believe that these people are so delusional that they are willing to kill their own party. I always thought politicians would say and/do anything to hold on to power. The whole thing just baffles me-but like I said, entertaining to watch.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 04/29/09 at 12:24 pm

It is very entertaining to watch what is left of the Republican Party going kamikaze. I just can't believe that these people are so delusional that they are willing to kill their own party. I always thought politicians would say and/do anything to hold on to power. The whole thing just baffles me-but like I said, entertaining to watch.

Cat
i think they've succumbed to a kind of fundamentalist logic, sorta like what happens with certain kinds of religious faith where young-earth christians are confronted with dinosaurs and say that they were placed here by satan to test our faith. i think the adam smither/alan greenspan/ayn rand free-marketeers have a fundamentalist, unbreakable belief that deregulated markets lead to economic balance and prosperity and they're interpreting evidence to the contrary (that is, the last eight years of trickle-down and its abject failure) as evidence they didn't deregulate enough and that the failed regime of george w. bush is merely here to test their faith in fully unregulated free markets. they're unwilling to moderate or move to the center because they're convinced that right around the corner lies their free-market paradise, their neo-capitalist utopia. all they need to do is deregulate a little bit more, dismantle just a little more public infrastructure, and we'll finally arrive.

they've gone utopian and fundamentalist, in other words.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/29/09 at 11:19 pm

toomey would never have gotten anywhere near winning the general election, not with pennsylvania having the demographic it has at the moment. it was specter or another democrat, and specter wisely switched.

You keep thinking Toomey has no chance and he'll end up winning.  The guy had Specter beat and will have millions poured into television commercials by the Club for Growth.  Specter's status as former republican says to me there is a good chance he gets ousted by some far-left democrat who can't win.  There is a very long history of a depressed vote by party faithful for candidates who switched parties.

And what demographic is that?  White, blue collar workers who vote for republicans and pro-life democrats in state elections?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/09 at 10:45 am

You keep thinking Toomey has no chance and he'll end up winning.  The guy had Specter beat and will have millions poured into television commercials by the Club for Growth.  Specter's status as former republican says to me there is a good chance he gets ousted by some far-left democrat who can't win.  There is a very long history of a depressed vote by party faithful for candidates who switched parties.

And what demographic is that?  White, blue collar workers who vote for republicans and pro-life democrats in state elections?

You keep forgetting that the Republican Party is shrinking-thanks to the Republican Party. Club for Growth has a way of knocking Republican moderates out in the primaries only to lose the general election. Remember former Sen. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island? He was forced to spend boocoo bucks on the primary thanks to Club for Growth and cost him the general election. Or how about Rep. Wayne Gilchrest from Maryland? He lost the primary to Andrew Harris thanks to Club for Growth, and Harris in turn lost the general election-costing the GOP ANOTHER House seat. Club for Growth is more interested in ousting moderates than they are in holding on to House & Senate seats.

Specter has respect from members from both sides of the aisle. I think he will probably get a lot of votes from Dems & Independents as well as Republicans. If he stayed in the Repub Party, the base (with the help from Club for Growth) would have pushed him out. I doubt if Toomey has as wide of respect as Specter does.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/30/09 at 2:30 pm

Neh, the far-left candidate you speak about, Allison Schwartz doesn't have what it takes to beat Specter.  Last time Toomey ran against Specter the state was also much more red than it is now.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 3:53 pm

Arlen Specter spoke via satellite at the AACR convention in Denver.  He received the public service award for his support of the health sciences and stem cell research.  That was kind of cool.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/30/09 at 4:38 pm

Arlen Specter spoke via satellite at the AACR convention in Denver.  He received the public service award for his support of the health sciences and stem cell research.  That was kind of cool.

So you find Snarlin' Arlen favorable. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/30/09 at 4:42 pm

So you find Snarlin' Arlen favorable. :)

I only know him by name and stuff, I don't follow politics as much as I used to as I spend more of my time trying to figure out how to graduate and cure cancer and other things :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/30/09 at 4:45 pm

I only know him by name and stuff, I don't follow politics as much as I used to as I spend more of my time trying to figure out how to graduate and cure cancer and other things :D

He's pretty cool.  He's had two bouts of cancer, but he still made it to Senate hearings. 8)

Written By: Macphisto on 04/30/09 at 5:24 pm

Hey, I may disagree with McCain on a lot, but him switching to Democrat would pretty much kill the PR of the GOP.  I can't believe Rush would even suggest that, since McCain was their most recent Prez candidate.

Rush is even further out of touch than I had assumed (which was a lot already).

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/09 at 10:49 am

You keep forgetting that the Republican Party is shrinking-thanks to the Republican Party. Club for Growth has a way of knocking Republican moderates out in the primaries only to lose the general election. Remember former Sen. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island? He was forced to spend boocoo bucks on the primary thanks to Club for Growth and cost him the general election. Or how about Rep. Wayne Gilchrest from Maryland? He lost the primary to Andrew Harris thanks to Club for Growth, and Harris in turn lost the general election-costing the GOP ANOTHER House seat. Club for Growth is more interested in ousting moderates than they are in holding on to House & Senate seats.

Specter has respect from members from both sides of the aisle. I think he will probably get a lot of votes from Dems & Independents as well as Republicans. If he stayed in the Repub Party, the base (with the help from Club for Growth) would have pushed him out. I doubt if Toomey has as wide of respect as Specter does.

Cat

all excellent points.  The GOP wants to talk about how they are a "big tent party" but Club for Growth helps to demonstrate that the tent is pretty small indeed.

There was a report recently that the number of self-identified Republicans has declined dramatically this year.  If the GOP continues this push towards the extremists in their party pretty soon they'll be about as popular as the Green party.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/09 at 10:54 am

Hey, I may disagree with McCain on a lot, but him switching to Democrat would pretty much kill the PR of the GOP.  I can't believe Rush would even suggest that, since McCain was their most recent Prez candidate.

Rush is even further out of touch than I had assumed (which was a lot already).

the extremists in the party hate McCain.  Yet their support for people like Thompson helped ensure he'd get the nod the candidacy. It's real easy for a hard-core right-winger to pick up primaries in the South, but outside of that stronghold the support drops off quickly.  The ONLY saving grace for the GOP right now is that their nomination process reflects the rest of the US, meaning you still have to win a primary voters in states outside the South.  Otherwise it wouldn't reflect the country outside of the South at all.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/02/09 at 10:54 am

the extremists in the party hate McCain.  Yet their support for people like Thompson helped ensure he'd get the nod the candidacy. It's real easy for a hard-core right-winger to pick up primaries in the South, but outside of that stronghold the support drops off quickly.  The ONLY saving grace for the GOP right now is that their nomination process reflects the rest of the US, meaning you still have to win a primary voters in states outside the South.  Otherwise it wouldn't reflect the country outside of the South at all.

\
But as the party narrows, and right wing nutjobs challenge moderates...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/02/09 at 12:58 pm

all excellent points.  The GOP wants to talk about how they are a "big tent party"

You have to admit that the former Senator Larry Craig knew how to pitch a tent.

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/09 at 8:42 pm

You have to admit that the former Senator Larry Craig knew how to pitch a tent.

;D

He just didn't know how high the stakes were!

:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/09 at 8:44 pm

Oh, then Specter says, "I'm not going to be a loyal Democrat!"

I think it's time for your nap, Uncle Arl!
::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/05/09 at 2:17 pm

Oh, then Specter says, "I'm not going to be a loyal Democrat!"

I think it's time for your nap, Uncle Arl!
::)

He wasn't a loyal Republican either.  Moderate or just wishy-washy take you pick.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/05/09 at 2:24 pm

He wasn't a loyal Republican either.  Moderate or just wishy-washy take you pick.

Maybe he was a RINO, i.e. one who didn't buy completely into either party line.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/05/09 at 2:30 pm

Maybe he was a RINO, i.e. one who didn't buy completely into either party line.

I don't think he gets too upset over being called that. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/05/09 at 2:31 pm

Why buy into either party line if they're both kinda nuts?  :D :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/05/09 at 2:32 pm

Why buy into either party line if they're both kinda nuts?  :D :D

That's part of the reason why he's got my vote. ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/06/09 at 11:05 am

looks like it's not all hugs and kisses for Specter

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/06/specter.seniority/?iref=mpstoryview

ouch.

they didn't even strip Leiberman of his seniority when he won re-election as an independent after losing the primary.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/06/09 at 11:36 am

looks like it's not all hugs and kisses for Specter

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/06/specter.seniority/?iref=mpstoryview

ouch.

they didn't even strip Leiberman of his seniority when he won re-election as an independent after losing the primary.

Republicans are very angry.  They were hoping to get rid of him by electing someone who was more in line with the party not someone who would go to the Dems.  I think he might have expected something like this.  Guess this means he has to sit in the cafeteria and eat with the freshmen.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/06/09 at 11:50 am

Potential matchup polls for 2010:

Specter vs. Toomey

Specter: 42%
Toomey: 36%

Specter vs. Ridge

Specter: 38%
Ridge: 39%

Source

I do hope to see Specter lose in the democrat primary or to Toomey/Ridge.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/06/09 at 12:04 pm

Specter vs. Toomey

Specter vs. Ridge

Source

PA Dems cannot find a Candidate that can beat him in the Primary.  They have someone who is willing to run against him.  Beating him is a whole other story.  How do I know this?  Because I am a PA Democrat who keeps track of it.  By the way it's way too early to project the general election.  However I'm more inclined to think Ridge could beat him than Toomey.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/09 at 12:08 pm

Specter vs. Toomey

Specter vs. Ridge

Source

It is a long way until the primary and of course, well over a year until the general election. Polls at this point in time mean nothing.

Here is one poll for the Iowa primary (note the date)

May 16, 2007
POLL: Zogby Iowa Primary

By Eric Dienstfrey

A new Zogby telephone survey of likely caucus-goers in Iowa (conducted 5/14 through 5/15) finds:

* Among 478 Republicans, former Gov. Mitt Romney (at 19%) edges out Sen. John McCain and former Mayor Rudy Giuliani (both at 18%) in a statewide caucus; former Sen. Fred Thompson trails at 9%.

* Among 511 Democrats, former Sen. John Edwards (at 26%) edges out Sen. Hillary Clinton (24%) and Sen. Barack Obama (22%) in a statewide caucus.

By Eric Dienstfrey on May 16, 2007 6:22 PM | Permalink

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/poll_zogby_iowa_primary.php

The results:

Republican:
Name  Votes   Percent Delegates
Huckabee 40,954 35% 30 Winner
Romney 30,021 25% 7
Thompson 15,960 13% 0
McCain 15,536 13% 0
Paul         11,841 10% 0
Giuliani 4,099 4% 0
Hunter 506 0% 0

Democrat:

Obama 93,952 38% 36 Winner
Edwards 74,377 30% 3
Clinton 73,663 29% 16
Richardson 5,278 2% 0
Biden         2,328 1% 0
Uncommitted 345         0% 0
Dodd           58         0% 0
Gravel   0         0% 0
Kucinich   0         0% 0

You can see how wrong that poll was.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/06/09 at 1:23 pm

Republicans are very angry.  They were hoping to get rid of him by electing someone who was more in line with the party not someone who would go to the Dems.  I think he might have expected something like this.  Guess this means he has to sit in the cafeteria and eat with the freshmen.

they're in the minority however, so clearly the Dems aren't as happy to have him onboard as the Repubs think they are.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/07/09 at 7:28 am

they're in the minority however, so clearly the Dems aren't as happy to have him onboard as the Repubs think they are.

To quote Specter "I never said I'd be a loyal Democrat."  Dems may have a problem trying to get him to hold the party line.

Written By: tv on 05/07/09 at 12:21 pm

In my opinion Specter switching political party's isn;t a big deal he is just doing it just to get reelected. Specter has always been his own man in terms of voting in the senate anyway. Sometimes Specter will vote with the Democrats and sometimes he would vote with the Republicans. In my opinion Specter should be an "Independent" not a Democrat or a Republican.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/07/09 at 4:01 pm

Ridge now says he's not going to run.  Darn for some reason I long to see a Specter-Ridge debate. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...