» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 36 Students Dead Since January. Why?

Written By: Jessica on 05/08/09 at 11:47 am

Shocking headline, yes?  Yet you won't see much mention of it in the news.  This is the daily worry of many parents in certain neighborhoods in Chicago: their children being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and getting killed.  CNN finally got their heads out of their collective asses and shed some light on this crap.

Minority Youngsters Dying Weekly On Chicago's Streets

Now I know SOME of you might think, "Oh minorities.  They were probably in gangs and deserved it."  Nope.  The latest slaying involved a 15 year old student who was beaten, shot in the head, and BURNED.  He was not a troublemaker (verified by the police....no record), very shy, did well in school, and his family had to move from their old neighborhood because the gangs were pressuring him to join.  They tracked him down and murdered him.  Now if you read the article, you'll see that Dipsh*t Daley is making his usual asshole excuses for it, chief among them that most were dropouts, but by Chicago Public School standards, they're still considered non-attending students.  BZZZZT!!! Wrong!  Investigations show that ALL the victims were enrolled in school.  This also doesn't hold water because some of these kids were 10 or younger.

I have to agree with Arne Duncan and how he said that "all hell would break loose" if this happened in a wealthy suburb.  You'd never hear the end of it.  But because it is in the poorer neighborhoods, no one really gives a crap.

I have no solutions.  I feel helpless that there isn't much I can do to stop this crap, except work in the community with the people who actually give a damn.  I'm not sure why I'm even posting this, except it saddens and angers me.

What say all of you?  How do we even begin to curb the violence against the children of Chicago?

Subject: Re: 36 Students Dead Since January. Why?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/08/09 at 2:27 pm

More funding, more outreach, more activities...but that really won't help until the kids have some better role models in their lives, and I don't know how to really deal with that :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/08/09 at 9:16 pm

MORE GUNS!  That's the answer!
8)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 05/08/09 at 10:07 pm

The decriminalization of recreational drugs would be a great start.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/09/09 at 5:44 am

Jobs that allow a parent to make a decent living on one job so one parent can be at home, police walking the beat instead of sitting in a squad car, teachers who get their jobs because of the qualifications as opposed to getting their jobs through patronage(this goes for cops, too).  School administrations that do not adequately address the problem of bullying(goes along with proper qualifications).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/09 at 12:18 pm

Mayor Richard Daley said the numbers appear worse in his city because the public school system considers teenagers students even after they drop out.

"The rest of America doesn't count them. You're a dropout forever. We don't think they're dropouts. They're students," he said.

He further said Chicago's problems are no worse than those in any other American city.

"It's all over, the same thing," he said. "You go to a large city or small city, it's all over America. It's not unique to one community or one city."

Despite Daley's remarks, CNN has learned that none of the city's 36 victims this year was a dropout.

You know what?  He's an even bigger asshole than I thought he was, and I didn't think that was possible!  As long as it happens where the people have no money and don't vote, Daley don't care!  Just like his father!
>:(

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 12:22 pm

You know what?  He's an even bigger asshole than I thought he was, and I didn't think that was possible!  As long as it happens where the people have no money and don't vote, Daley don't care!  Just like his father!

Well, admittedly, if the parents of these kids don't vote...  they can't expect much representation.

I'm not saying that makes Daley ethical or remotely moral, but he's partially a product of voter apathy.

After Rod Blagojevich and the guy before him, it would seem that Chicago and the state of Illinois in general would be some of the most corrupt areas of the country.  What they really need is a new party to vote for.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/09 at 2:27 pm

More funding, more outreach, more activities...but that really won't help until the kids have some better role models in their lives, and I don't know how to really deal with that :-\\

To whom do we give the money?  To the people who were been killed?  Or the gangsters?

And why does Chicago need this money?  School kids are not getting snuffed at such a rate in other cities (such as my Picksburgh).

I do agree that the Chicago PD needs to go out and crack some skulls in.  They are way too passive to the various gangs that rule the slums.

And we need for some Paul Kerseys to appear in ChiTown.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 6:13 pm

To whom do we give the money?  To the people who were been killed?  Or the gangsters?

And why does Chicago need this money?  School kids are not getting snuffed at such a rate in other cities (such as my Picksburgh).

I do agree that the Chicago PD needs to go out and crack some skulls in.  They are way too passive to the various gangs that rule the slums.

Yeah, this is one of those things that isn't so simple you just throw money at it.  Very complex!  :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 05/09/09 at 7:14 pm

Oh yeah, he's an ass.  Him and his nephew are in the newspapers over here right now for some shady real estate dealings.

Well, admittedly, if the parents of these kids don't vote...  they can't expect much representation.

I'm not saying that makes Daley ethical or remotely moral, but he's partially a product of voter apathy.

After Rod Blagojevich and the guy before him, it would seem that Chicago and the state of Illinois in general would be some of the most corrupt areas of the country.  What they really need is a new party to vote for.

That could be questionable.  As you have seen, our government on all levels is pretty corrupt.  I'm not sure if I really trust any of them anymore.  Love the city, hate the government. :P  And yes, I DO vote.

Oh, they crack skulls in....just the wrong ones.  All you have to do is Google "Chicago police beatings" and you'll find lots of fun stuff.  They were in the news recently for smacking an Autistic boy in the head with a baton.  Way to serve and protect. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/09 at 7:28 pm

Chicago is notorious for grinding desperate poverty.  They knocked down the big scary housing projects, but that doesn't mean the poverty just went away. 

Yes, it's worse than other major cities for a myriad of reasons and the youth gun violence comes as no surprise to me.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/09 at 12:52 am

The decriminalization of recreational drugs would be a great start.

This is a very good suggestion.

Jobs that allow a parent to make a decent living on one job so one parent can be at home, police walking the beat instead of sitting in a squad car, teachers who get their jobs because of the qualifications as opposed to getting their jobs through patronage(this goes for cops, too).  School administrations that do not adequately address the problem of bullying(goes along with proper qualifications).

And so are these.

In the meantime, police should have shoot to kill orders for all gang members and drug dealers. Open season. I have observed that it's rather difficult to be a predator when one is prey. We go after those who promote terrorism 10k miles away, yet we do nothing to those who do the same on our own soil.  ??? ??? ???

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 05/10/09 at 1:43 am

That could be questionable.  As you have seen, our government on all levels is pretty corrupt.  I'm not sure if I really trust any of them anymore.  Love the city, hate the government. :P  And yes, I DO vote.

Bring Guiliani in there.  He'll clean it up real quick.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/09 at 12:43 pm

This is a very good suggestion.

And so are these.

In the meantime, police should have shoot to kill orders for all gang members and drug dealers. Open season. I have observed that it's rather difficult to be a predator when one is prey. We go after those who promote terrorism 10k miles away, yet we do nothing to those who do the same on our own soil.  ??? ??? ???

Ant

You are a trial attorney's wet dream.  Even if there was some magic marker to distinguish all "gang members and drug dealers," you still can't just have 'em all shot!

What creates inner city conditions such that one would propose a free-fire zone?  Who are the REAL terrorists?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/09 at 12:51 pm

You are a trial attorney's wet dream.  Even if there was some magic marker to distinguish all "gang members and drug dealers," you still can't just have 'em all shot!

What creates inner city conditions such that one would propose a free-fire zone?  Who are the REAL terrorists?
???

Listen Max, you have to make a choice.  You're either with us or against us.  ;)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/10/09 at 1:07 pm

???

Martial law fixes that real quick.  Get some National Guard in there, and the problem will be solved.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/09 at 1:23 pm

You are a trial attorney's wet dream. 

Is she hot?  :P

Even if there was some magic marker to distinguish all "gang members and drug dealers," you still can't just have 'em all shot!

Yeah, I know I can't. But really, the police cracking down big time on crime would be a good idea.

What creates inner city conditions such that one would propose a free-fire zone?  Who are the REAL terrorists?
???

The real terrorists would be those that keep cities in fear. You could chose between ineffective and corrupt goverment, the police, the criminals themselves, and so on.

Ant

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/14/09 at 12:28 am

Actually, there probably is.  Gang members wear identifying clothing, operate in a hierarchical structure...  they actually meet many of the requirements for being treated as insurgents, rather than criminals.  (Upside is they get Geneva protections.  Downside is the cops really could have a free-fire zone, and it's still a chillingly-viable way to get rid of the "inconvenience" of Posse Comitatus.)

What creates inner city conditions such that one would propose a free-fire zone? 

Why, the War on Some Drugs.

(Heh.  I've rephrased that three times, and even I can't tell if I'm snarking or being serious.)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/14/09 at 5:51 am

Almost as if this was tailored made, this is on PBS' Independent Lens this week

www.pbs.org/independentlens/cripsandbloods/

Of course there is a downside. There are those who will view this as indicative of the African American community as a whole and not indicative of a specific socio-economic group, and feel all African Americans deserve to be discriminated because of the actions of what goes on in this community because they believe it is their own fault.

Written By: seamermar on 07/10/09 at 4:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Jessica, you're good in  hitting the highlights. There are winds which hurt our ears.
Talking about what our society does wrong never likes to everyone.

The gettos are in flame....as the young man dies, another little baby child is born in the getto...people don't you understand,... child needs a helping-hand,.... do we simply look another way....

don't you remember? Since long ago, songs tell us how the thread went wrong.

No one can be happy when all around is sadness and desperation. Every bad situation can get worse at any time. Youth has no aims but get money,  get money way quickly. Life is a run to get cash, flesh and fun, no matters how it comes.

At every corner of the world plays the same story , the riches got their chances in the sorrows of the poors.

So, as the world turns there is no cause, there is no will for politics to place upright this drifted and capsized world.

Sorry if I sound so sensitive, but I can't see a tiny step on the right direction. :(

Written By: danootaandme on 07/11/09 at 4:55 am

A big problem is sometimes you can't tell the which gang is worse.

http://www.californiacriminallawyerblog.com/cop.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/09 at 10:10 pm

The cops, the courts, and the Ku Klux Klan --
All a part of the bosses' plan!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/12/09 at 9:08 am

Police abuses conceded, I think it is quite safe to say that the crooks are far more dangerous.

Even if every cop accused of a criminal act were guilty, there are far, vastly, more crimes committed by non-cops.

Bottom line with the gangs is parents do not bother parenting their kids any more, and they end up in gangs, where they actually get guidance and attention that their families refuse to provide.  Wrong KIND of guidance, mind you but...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/09 at 9:56 am

Police abuses conceded, I think it is quite safe to say that the crooks are far more dangerous.

Even if every cop accused of a criminal act were guilty, there are far, vastly, more crimes committed by non-cops.

Bottom line with the gangs is parents do not bother parenting their kids any more, and they end up in gangs, where they actually get guidance and attention that their families refuse to provide.  Wrong KIND of guidance, mind you but...

It would be great if you could just chalk it up to lack of moral fiber on the part of parents; however, the social pathologies run much deeper. 

There is no economy in these neighborhoods so the young people create their own with whatever they can.  If that means criminal syndicalism, so be it.  If you find yourself on hostile streets, you band together with your neighbors for protection. 

The kids who do the violence on the street did not start the cycle of violence in the city. 

You can accuse liberals like me of "making excuses for them" and preach about "personal responsibility," but that kind of right-wing scolding does not address the fundamental problems -- and it is not intended to.  It's purpose is to assuage whatever sliver of conscience the rich white people who control society might have and, in fact, make excuses for THEM.
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 07/15/09 at 8:14 pm

It would be great if you could just chalk it up to lack of moral fiber on the part of parents; however, the social pathologies run much deeper. 

There is no economy in these neighborhoods so the young people create their own with whatever they can.  If that means criminal syndicalism, so be it.  If you find yourself on hostile streets, you band together with your neighbors for protection. 

The kids who do the violence on the street did not start the cycle of violence in the city. 

You can accuse liberals like me of "making excuses for them" and preach about "personal responsibility," but that kind of right-wing scolding does not address the fundamental problems -- and it is not intended to.  It's purpose is to assuage whatever sliver of conscience the rich white people who control society might have and, in fact, make excuses for THEM.
::)

I'd be more inclined to believe that if Asians were engaging in the same level of crime as blacks and Hispanics.  If you examine how much gang activity is perpetrated among poor blacks and poor Hispanics vs. the same among poor Asians, the Asians engage in less crime.

We're looking at cultural differences here.  Asians (whether it's Indians or most East Asian ethnic groups) tend to commit less crime even among their poorer people because they have a stronger sense of family and network more effectively among their own communities for starting businesses.

So clearly, different groups react differently to poverty.  Most of these differences in behavior are connected to both a sense of personal responsibility and a sense of community.

What is seriously hurting many black communities is this lack of cooperative community and the breakdown of the family unit.  Single parenting is the norm in the black community, whereas most Asian households have two parents involved.  Culturally, hard work and academic achievement are encouraged in the Asian community, whereas this is considerably less so in many black communities.

By the same token, many Hispanic/Latino communities also have a strong sense of family and engage in networking for entreprenuership, but what's holding some of them back is the influence of organized crime.  The most blatant examples are seen in the various Mexican drug cartels that have spread throughout America.  MS-13 is a high profile gang among many Hispanic communities.

So again, some blame can be attributed to white greed, but it's certainly not the entirety of the problem.  In many cases, it's not even the majority of the problem.

At some point, people have to clean up their communities from the inside out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/09 at 10:37 pm

No, Asians don't do organized crime.  Nope, no Asian street gangs in any North American cities, never heard of such a thing.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smilejap.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 07/17/09 at 10:47 pm

No, Asians don't do organized crime.  Nope, no Asian street gangs in any North American cities, never heard of such a thing.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smilejap.gif

Nowhere near the amount of the other types of gangs.... 

Check for new replies or respond here...