» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gun Use in America? Sure... and here is a good reason

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/09 at 7:32 am

See attached link

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090508/News01/905080347/0/FRONTPAGE

Hat's off to Alan Knepp.  Mr. Knepp, you da man.  :)

Sadly, one of the two girls, on whose behalf he was acting, has passed away.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Gun Use in America? Sure... and here is a good reason

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 7:36 am

I applaud the actions of Mr. Knepp but wonder if he had done the same if it was just his bare hands.  Just playing devil's advocate on this point.

However, the main point is that a truck driver did a bad thing and tried to puss out and a little girl is dead :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/09 at 7:57 am

I applaud the actions of Mr. Knepp but wonder if he had done the same if it was just his bare hands.  Just playing devil's advocate on this point.

I am guessing he would not have.  It's hard to stop a fleeing car with your bare hands.  The gun has a bit more stopping power.

I certainly hope that Mishawaka presents this man with a well-deserved medal.  And as to Leroy Hoover, the perp, I hope he is also presented with a well-deserved cellmate.

Written By: philbo on 05/09/09 at 9:42 am

I repeat what I said in another thread to Macphisto: the number of times gun use like this has a positive outcome is overwhelmingly outweighed by the times when it doesn't.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 10:05 am

I repeat what I said in another thread to Macphisto: the number of times gun use like this has a positive outcome is overwhelmingly outweighed by the times when it doesn't.

Because the recording of statistics is flawless and all-encompassing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/09 at 12:06 pm

If I had been in Knepp's shoes, I'd be inclined to pull the trigger.  That sonofabitch in the Lumina was in a panic after he realized he struck those two little girls.  He might just as well have seen me and the gun and just stepped on the gas and make me the third victim.  Furthermore, any creep like that is likely to be sloshed.  Might not even know what was going on!
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 12:14 pm

If I had been in Knepp's shoes, I'd be inclined to pull the trigger.  That sonofabitch in the Lumina was in a panic after he realized he struck those two little girls.  He might just as well have seen me and his gun and just stepped on the gas and make me the third victim.  Furthermore, any creep like that is likely to be sloshed.  Might not even know what was going on!

To be honest, Knepp probably should have pulled the trigger.  Had he been in Texas or Florida, it would be legal as well.

Written By: Tia on 05/09/09 at 1:21 pm

hey great. although if he'd just gotten the tag number, the cops would have probably rounded this guy up by the time the day was over. and of course, if the driver hadn't stopped he either would have run over the gun-carrier, or the gun-carrier would have shot him; either way, another body, maybe two, would have been added to the incident.

so, the gun didn't really help, and it was only a matter of luck that it didn't hurt.

makes a good, exciting story, though.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/09 at 2:23 pm

hey great. although if he'd just gotten the tag number, the cops would have probably rounded this guy up by the time the day was over. and of course, if the driver hadn't stopped he either would have run over the gun-carrier, or the gun-carrier would have shot him; either way, another body, maybe two, would have been added to the incident.

so, the gun didn't really help, and it was only a matter of luck that it didn't hurt.

Tell that to the people of Mishawaka (me being a former Mishawakan, I take particular interest here...)

What if Mr. Knepp was dyslexic and could not read the license plate?  What if the plate was phony?  What if the perp high-tailed it to Mexico?  What if, what if...

Knepp did not play the what if game.  He seized the moment and did the right thing.

Note that in Chicago a few years back, a similar situation occurred but nobody had a gun.  Instead they dragged the two perps out of the car and beat them to death.

So... what if Knepp did not have a gun?  Maybe he and his buds woulda handled things Chicago style...

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 2:49 pm

Like I said, Knepp should've shot the guy.  Most juries would've probably let him off too.

While I obviously have a problem with people running over children, I don't have a problem with executing people who run over children.

Honestly, if Knepp had shot the guy, it would've saved us the trouble of trying this scumbag.

Note that in Chicago a few years back, a similar situation occurred but nobody had a gun.  Instead they dragged the two perps out of the car and beat them to death.

So... what if Knepp did not have a gun?  Maybe he and his buds woulda handled things Chicago style...

Well, I see what you're saying, but I don't have a problem with that personally.  ;)

Written By: Tia on 05/09/09 at 3:41 pm

Tell that to the people of Mishawaka (me being a former Mishawakan, I take particular interest here...)

What if Mr. Knepp was dyslexic and could not read the license plate?  What if the plate was phony?  What if the perp high-tailed it to Mexico?  What if, what if...

what if his aim had been off and he'd accidentally shot a passenger in the car? what if the bullet had ricocheted and hit one of the children lying in the road? what if he'd accurately shot the driver and the car, careening out of control, had run over more bystanders?

like i said, it's great that the gun didn't make the situation worse. but it very well could have.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 3:45 pm

what if his aim had been off and he'd accidentally shot a passenger in the car? what if the bullet had ricocheted and hit one of the children lying in the road? what if he'd accurately shot the driver and the car, careening out of control, had run over more bystanders?

like i said, it's great that the gun didn't make the situation worse. but it very well could have.

And yet again, this discussion has proved that you can rationalize anything.

When you enter the "what if" game, you can defend OR demonize guns.  It's really just a matter of opinion at this point.

Written By: Tia on 05/09/09 at 4:00 pm

And yet again, this discussion has proved that you can rationalize anything.

When you enter the "what if" game, you can defend OR demonize guns.  It's really just a matter of opinion at this point.
if you ignore the statistics and the lion's share of the anecdotal evidence, then yeah, it's just opinion.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/09 at 4:27 pm

Well, I see what you're saying, but I don't have a problem with that personally.  ;)

If it were just a matter of this guy accidentally hitting the kids with his car, I might feel sorry for the guy.  When I was a kid I got run over by a car and it likely was a big part my fault.

But once you see that he ACCELERATED after he hit the kids, then all bets are off.

So yeah, "Chicago Style" would not have upset me in this case given what I have read so far.  ;)

Written By: Tia on 05/09/09 at 4:37 pm

i cant imagine anything easier than pointing out the rather obvious fact that anyone who hit-and-runs two young children is an asshole. that's not really the point. if i'd been around and seen this guy pull a gun on the hit-and-runner, i would have said my congratulations to him ... and then avoided him like the plague from then on. anyone like that is likely to wind up being pretty dangerous to be around. eventually he's liable to pull his gun on the wrong guy or make a bad judgment call, and when that happens, people are gonna wind up dead.

Written By: philbo on 05/09/09 at 5:30 pm

Because the recording of statistics is flawless and all-encompassing.

Of course it isn't - just because all the recorded stats are against you, doesn't make them wrong.

If it were just a matter of this guy accidentally hitting the kids with his car, I might feel sorry for the guy.  When I was a kid I got run over by a car and it likely was a big part my fault.

But once you see that he ACCELERATED after he hit the kids, then all bets are off.

So yeah, "Chicago Style" would not have upset me in this case given what I have read so far.   ;)

Thing is, the guy with the gun can never be sure that, for example, the driver hasn't just been stung on the eyeball by a wasp (which happened on the motorway close by a few years ago - caused a fairly major pile-up) - wouldn't that just round off the perfect end to the day: first you get stung.. next, while flailing around trying to kill the wasp that stung you, you cause an accident.. and finally some trigger-happy a**hole sticks a bullet in for good luck.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 6:04 pm

i cant imagine anything easier than pointing out the rather obvious fact that anyone who hit-and-runs two young children is an asshole. that's not really the point. if i'd been around and seen this guy pull a gun on the hit-and-runner, i would have said my congratulations to him ... and then avoided him like the plague from then on. anyone like that is likely to wind up being pretty dangerous to be around. eventually he's liable to pull his gun on the wrong guy or make a bad judgment call, and when that happens, people are gonna wind up dead.

We know what it's really about...  you're just phobic of guns.  It's ok.  Just go ahead and admit it already.  The same goes for you, Phil.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 6:09 pm

Of course it isn't - just because all the recorded stats are against you, doesn't make them wrong.

All the recorded stats suggest that guns can only be a negative influence?  That's news to me.

if you ignore the statistics and the lion's share of the anecdotal evidence, then yeah, it's just opinion.

So somehow, statistics and anecdotal evidence state that guns are evil?

Thing is, the guy with the gun can never be sure that, for example, the driver hasn't just been stung on the eyeball by a wasp (which happened on the motorway close by a few years ago - caused a fairly major pile-up) - wouldn't that just round off the perfect end to the day: first you get stung.. next, while flailing around trying to kill the wasp that stung you, you cause an accident.. and finally some trigger-happy a**hole sticks a bullet in for good luck.

Anything is possible, but again, thanks for the what if BS.

Hell, if some kids get hit by a car and I witness it, I'll just go with the Kitty Genovese response.  That way, I won't have any liberals hypothesizing what might have happened if I pulled out my gun.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/09/09 at 6:24 pm

It's rather annoying that some people cannot accept nor seem to grasp the reality that any good came from a private citizen merely showing a weapon. Funny how the tune would change if the man holding the gun was a cop.

I find it ironic and sickly amusing that the posts on this thread have focused more on a person using a gun to stop the furtherance of a crime rather than on the person who used a vehicle to run over two children, killing one of them. 

Ant

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 6:43 pm

^ I think that was an unfortunate side effect of the original post...the bigger picture is that two kids got hurt and one died, but the fact that the perp was caught because a citizen held him at gunpoint until police arrived was a huge part of the story as well.

Written By: Jessica on 05/09/09 at 7:03 pm

Seems like a good number of people are also ignoring the fact that the guy had the gun legally, had all the permits, registrations, and so on.

What a horrible tragedy for that family though, and was I reading wrong, or did that story say that the guy was released? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/09 at 7:35 pm

There you go taking all the romance and heroism out of gun-toting again!  You're no fun.
:(

Written By: Tia on 05/09/09 at 7:42 pm

There you go taking all the romance and heroism out of gun-toting again!  You're no fun.
:(
lol.

i think it's funny that all the gun guys are all, oh, well, next time i'll just go kitty genovese or, admit it, you're phobic of guns, or, it's so annoying and sickening that the anti-gun people can't see why this story is so great! it seems like it's so caught up in faux machismo and a phony sense of vicarious heroism. if this story made the gun guys feel so assured that guns were such a great idea, i'd think they would actually be more confident in guns as a solution and would speak confidently of it. instead there seems to be a lot of defensiveness.

look, the guy was reckless. he pulled it off, but it was a lucky break. could have turned out much, much worse.

Written By: Tia on 05/09/09 at 7:44 pm

What a horrible tragedy for that family though, and was I reading wrong, or did that story say that the guy was released? ???
he was, but i imagine he'll be charged. it'd be ironic if the guy who pulled on him saved him from a hit-and-run charge though. now that he stopped him there's probably technically no way to prove the guy was gonna leave the scene.

man, that would be so effed up it would almost be funny. gun guy accidentally arranges it so would-be hit-and-run guy gets off.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/09 at 7:48 pm

lol.

i think it's funny that all the gun guys are all, oh, well, next time i'll just go kitty genovese or, admit it, you're phobic of guns, or, it's so annoying and sickening that the anti-gun people can't see why this story is so great! it seems like it's so caught up in faux machismo and a phony sense of vicarious heroism. if this story made the gun guys feel so assured that guns were such a great idea, i'd think they would actually be more confident in guns as a solution and would speak confidently of it. instead there seems to be a lot of defensiveness.

look, the guy was reckless. he pulled it off, but it was a lucky break. could have turned out much, much worse.

It's like I was saying, if I was packing a piece and I saw the same sh*t go down, it would be hard as hell for me not to whip it out (the gun, that is).  Once I'm pointing the gun at a driver that ran over two children and didn't even stop, well....

Since I don't have a gun, I'd have to just take down the tag number and call the fuzz. 

I sure hope I never have to witness anything so horrible, though!

Written By: Red Ant on 05/09/09 at 9:22 pm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3516432237_0d371f6d7f.jpg?v=0

lol.

Don't you have a war or two to dedicate your time to?

Just curious: do you even know who Kitty Genovese is? My guess is not, but feel free to Google the answer. I'll give you a few minutes....

The story sucks. What the eff is good about two kids getting run over by some asshole (one point that we agree on)? Who "wins" from this story? NO ONE.

"look, the guy was reckless": do you really have the nerve to write this about the man who stopped this crime in progress? This guy is not a hero, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and did what had to be done. That's not being a gun nut, it's called stepping up and being a man. I would not want to be in his shoes for even having to point a gun at someone else, but if the situation called for it I could and would do it.

With all the "what if's" you like to throw out, here's a few for you: what if this man hadn't intervened? What if the man driving the car, unimpeded by a law-abiding citizen, decided to plow through another few kids? What if the cops chased him and he crashed his vehicle into a large propane tank next to an orphanage or retirement home, resulting in the fiery deaths of hundreds of underprivileged people? What if he kept on, and decided to stop, only to park on a rail line in front of a speeding train carrying radioactive waste? I could go on all day with utterly ridiculous "what ifs".  ::)

I am for more guns, and more common sense restrictions on getting them. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Max, that you admit you'd be tempted to shoot such a person in a hypothetical situation doesn't make you an animal. or a gun nut. It's really a very good answer.  8)

Rice, you *got* the bigger picture early on, thus my karma to you.

Jess, you're correct: the driver was released (on what amount of bail isn't really relevant). And you also get karma for seeing the bigger picture and displaying compassion to the victims.

Phil: I write this only half jokingly: I think I would rather get shot than be stung in an eye by a wasp. I am afraid of wasps, almost irrationally so.

Oh, now I get it...

Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/09/09 at 9:25 pm

Just curious: do you even know who Kitty Genovese is? My guess is not, but feel free to Google the answer. I'll give you a few minutes....

The story sucks. What the eff is good about two kids getting run over by some asshole (one point that we agree on)? Who "wins" from this story? NO ONE.

"look, the guy was reckless": do you really have the nerve to write this about the man who stopped this crime in progress? This guy is not a hero, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and did what had to be done. That's not being a gun nut, it's called stepping up and being a man. I would not want to be in his shoes for even having to point a gun at someone else, but if the situation called for it I could and would do it.

With all the "what if's" you like to throw out, here's a few for you: what if this man hadn't intervened? What if the man driving the car, unimpeded by a law-abiding citizen, decided to plow through another few kids? What if the cops chased him and he crashed his vehicle into a large propane tank next to an orphanage or retirement home, resulting in the fiery deaths of hundreds of underprivileged people? What if he kept on, and decided to stop, only to park on a rail line in front of a speeding train carrying radioactive waste? I could go on all day with utterly ridiculous "what ifs".  ::)

I am for more guns, and more common sense restrictions on getting them. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Max, that you admit you'd be tempted to shoot such a person in a hypothetical situation doesn't make you an animal. or a gun nut. It's really a very good answer.  8)

Rice, you *got* the bigger picture early on, thus my karma to you.

Jess, you're correct: the driver was released (on what amount of bail isn't really relevant). And you also get karma for seeing the bigger picture and displaying compassion to the victims.

Phil: I write this only half jokingly: I think I would rather get shot than be stung in an eye by a wasp. I am afraid of wasps, almost irrationally so.

Oh, now I get it...

Ant

Dang Jack, certain topics really get you going. . .

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/09/09 at 9:42 pm

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/celebrity-pictures-daniel-craig-2nd-amendment.jpg

I also put this on Facebook.  I thought it was funny.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/09 at 10:17 pm

For perhaps the first time in a gun thread, I'm going to agree with Tia.  The guy with the gun did it right, and shame on anyone who said he "ought" to have fired.  As viscerally gratifying as it may have been, it would have been the wrong choice, legally and ethically.

1) Car strikes kids, is dragging one while trying to flee?  Immediate danger to life/health of victim.  Deadly force is on the table if it will stop the threat.

2) Be sure of your target, and be sure of what is behind it -- I speculate that the car, being between the citizen and the injured kids, would have blocked any possibility of a round hitting the kids or bystanders, and that therefore the gun owner found himself in a situation in which was able to draw.  He assessed the situation, and drew.

3) Driver actually stops when the firearm is drawn and is ordered to stop?  Car's ceased to be a further threat to the kid.  Car's no longer driving directly at you, so it's no longer a threat to you either.  The threat is over, and you cannot fire. 

We weren't there, so we can't speculate on #2.  Because no shots were fired, any second-guessing about #2 is moot. 

There are no "what ifs" about #1 and #3. 

When the bad guy stops the car, even a cop would get a few weeks' paid vacation for blowing him away.  A civilian would wind up charged with murder at worst, and be sued into bankruptcy in civil court for "wrongful death" even if no criminal charges were laid.  Sometimes choosing between being judged by twelve or carried by six is a false dichotomy. The winning answer is to choose neither.

But it didn't, because unlike the hotheads on an internet message board, this guy remembered his training.  Escalate force to the minimum required to stop the threat.  Be sure of your target and what is behind it.  When the threat ceases, immediately de-escalate the situation.

This is a textbook example of a problem being solved by a civilian in lawful posession of a firearm, and without a shot being fired.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/09/09 at 10:24 pm

Good post, Foo.  Admittedly, I probably would've fired until my clip was empty.  Hence, I'm glad that I haven't had to face this sort of situation.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/09 at 11:28 pm

Good post, Foo.  Admittedly, I probably would've fired until my clip was empty.  Hence, I'm glad that I haven't had to face this sort of situation.

The guy with the cell phone has one option, and it doesn't suck too badly.  (He dials 911 and it stops being his problem, and if the bad guy kills him anyways, well, so what?  He's just as dead as if he hadn't tried to dial 911.)

The guy with the firearm has two options, and they both suck.  (If he draws his firearm, he probably winds up in court, and even if he's lucky enough not to get charged, he may have to live with having shot someone.  If he picks the cell phone and the cops don't show up in time, he has to live with the fact that he might have been able to change the outcome.)

I believe in the right to keep and bear arms, but nobody should exercise that right without being aware of the responsibilities that come with it.  Over the years, I've probably talked as many people out of firearm ownership as I've talked into it.  I think all of the people with whom I've seriously discussed the issue came to the right decision.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/10/09 at 12:03 am

^ My dad has two guns.  He took a training course before shooting them for the first time.  Then he taught me how to use guns.  It was kinda cool.  But I guess this isn't really the right thread to talk about it.

Does anyone know why they let the guy go?  ???

Written By: Macphisto on 05/10/09 at 12:06 am

The guy with the cell phone has one option, and it doesn't suck too badly.  (He dials 911 and it stops being his problem, and if the bad guy kills him anyways, well, so what?  He's just as dead as if he hadn't tried to dial 911.)

The guy with the firearm has two options, and they both suck.  (If he draws his firearm, he probably winds up in court, and even if he's lucky enough not to get charged, he may have to live with having shot someone.  If he picks the cell phone and the cops don't show up in time, he has to live with the fact that he might have been able to change the outcome.)

I believe in the right to keep and bear arms, but nobody should exercise that right without being aware of the responsibilities that come with it.  Over the years, I've probably talked as many people out of firearm ownership as I've talked into it.  I think all of the people with whom I've seriously discussed the issue came to the right decision.

Again, good points, but more states should enact the same self-defense laws as Texas and Florida.  We should also make it harder to sue people over silly stuff like what you've mentioned.  This society is way too litigious for its own good.

For example, people should be allowed to defend their homes with lethal force without any fear of being sued.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/09 at 7:15 am

For example, people should be allowed to defend their homes with lethal force without any fear of being sued.

A-men.  That way I won't have to worry if I am strong enough to drag the corpse up the porch stairs and into the house.

Written By: Tia on 05/10/09 at 8:57 am

does anybody not know who kitty genovese is? why would you guess that i don't know? and does this not strike you as incredibly, incredibly condescending?

"look, the guy was reckless": do you really have the nerve to write this about the man who stopped this crime in progress? This guy is not a hero, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and did what had to be done. That's not being a gun nut, it's called stepping up and being a man.
because that's what using a gun makes one, right? a man?

Written By: Tia on 05/10/09 at 9:23 am

Does anyone know why they let the guy go?  ???
i think it's pretty obvious. when the guy prevented him from leaving the scene, he also prevented him from committing a crime. without the "run," there's no hit-and-run. it becomes the dog that didn't bark.

i mean, i dunno for sure and it'll be interesting to see if they charge him with something but the irony of it is, if they'd just gotten his tag number and let the cops round him up, he'd definitely have gotten some time for hit and run and probably never driven again in his life into the bargain. and with the hit and run, you get the opportunity to work a few other things in there; if he so much as went 28 in a 25 or turned without signaling, he'd be liable to get stuck with reckless driving or vehicular manslaughter.

as it is, unless he was really careless leading up into the accident, he might get off because the guy pulled a gun on him. ironic, yes? although, again, we'll have to wait and see.

i was thinking about mac "judge, jury and executioner" phisto last night when i remembered a case i saw on spike TV or some such a few months ago... (i watch spike TV, cuz i'm a manly man's manly man's man.)  ;D this elderly lady, too old to really have any business driving, hops up onto a sidewalk at high speed and slams into a mother and her infant child, nearly pins them against a wall and nearly goes halfway through it in the process. they showed this closed-circuit t.v. footage of it, looks like they were dead for sure. then, in a panic, the driver lady backs up and speeds away, while everyone on the street looks on in stunned silence.

well, turns out in one of those freakish acts of nature the mother and infant were both thrown up on the car hood and the mother's body cushioned the blow to the baby, and they both got away with minor cuts and bruises, a great story to tell at parties and a reason to start going to church on sunday. and the lady, in a fit of remorse, turns around and comes back a few minutes later to face the music. the judge ended up dropping the hit and run charge against her.

so, moral of the story: here's an apparently devastating incident that ended up in the long run having no serious effect on anyone involved. but if someone had been on hand with a gun and a mentality like macphisto's: the driver would have been dead and the shooter would have been likely facing a murder charge.

Written By: wildcard on 05/10/09 at 9:50 am

Not firring the gun was the right move.  What I don't understand is  why we allow people who freak out like that drive.  Held by gun or not, he killed two people and should be punished.  His drivers license taken away if nothing else.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/09 at 9:59 am

does anybody not know who kitty genovese is? why would you guess that i don't know?

"next time i'll just go kitty genovese or": the way you phrased this, as if Kitty Genovese was some kind of household verb to go gun crazy, led me to conclude that you did not know who she was. You answer my question with a question, which strikes me as evasive.

because that's what using a gun makes you, right? a man?

http://i.eprci.net/picard-facepalm

Using a gun does not make one a man. Stepping up in any adverse situation is what I was referring to, not the display of a firearm. Had the man with the gun physically wrestled the wreckless driver out of the car, or used his own vehicle to prevent his escape, he would have stepped up all the same. In this day and age, using a cellphone to call the cops instead of taking pictures or video of the scene would have been manly.

does this not strike you as incredibly, incredibly condescending?

Yes, it does. So does this:

mac "judge, jury and executioner" phisto

Ant

Written By: Tia on 05/10/09 at 10:03 am

"next time i'll just go kitty genovese or": the way you phrased this, as if Kitty Genovese was some kind of household verb to go gun crazy,

Hell, if some kids get hit by a car and I witness it, I'll just go with the Kitty Genovese response.

it wasn't my language, dude. pay attention.

Written By: Tia on 05/10/09 at 10:08 am

and yeah, i'ma stand by the "judge jury and executioner" statement. based on what macphisto has said so far on this thread, it seems apt.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/10/09 at 10:09 am

and yeah, i'ma stand by the "judge jury and executioner" statement. based on what macphisto has said so far on this thread, it seems apt.

I think I would tend to agree.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/09 at 10:43 am

I wonder if Kitty Genovese was realted to Don Vito Genovese, the capo de tutti capi? ???

Written By: Tia on 05/10/09 at 11:08 am

I wonder if Kitty Genovese was realted to Don Vito Genovese, the capo de tutti capi? ???
Don was his title! not his name!  :D

Written By: Jessica on 05/10/09 at 11:18 am

does anybody not know who kitty genovese is?

Actually, I didn't.  Good thing Wiki and Google exist!

as it is, unless he was really careless leading up into the accident, he might get off because the guy pulled a gun on him. ironic, yes? although, again, we'll have to wait and see.

He can still face vehicular manslaughter charges, especially if it's proven that he was speeding and that those two little girls didn't jump out in front of the car like he's saying.

Just a personal observation, but there is a LOT of condescension on both parts in this thread.  It is unfortunate, and while everyone is bitching about gun laws, who's fault it is, and whatever else, a little girl is DEAD and her sister is seriously hurt.  So you can try to justify all your points all you want, but the fact remains that everyone in here has forgotten about the victims, as usual.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/10/09 at 12:13 pm

It's not apt to use on Username, but I can accept it used on me.

I'll admit it; I'm red-blooded when it comes to guns.  That's mostly because I can't stand the posturing of people who come up with the most ridiculous excuses to demonize guns.

The man in this situation did something positive with a gun, and you can't even admit it.

I might be "judge, jury, and executioner", but at least I'm not afraid of guns.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/10/09 at 12:18 pm

i think it's pretty obvious. when the guy prevented him from leaving the scene, he also prevented him from committing a crime. without the "run," there's no hit-and-run. it becomes the dog that didn't bark.

i mean, i dunno for sure and it'll be interesting to see if they charge him with something but the irony of it is, if they'd just gotten his tag number and let the cops round him up, he'd definitely have gotten some time for hit and run and probably never driven again in his life into the bargain. and with the hit and run, you get the opportunity to work a few other things in there; if he so much as went 28 in a 25 or turned without signaling, he'd be liable to get stuck with reckless driving or vehicular manslaughter.

i was thinking about mac "judge, jury and executioner" phisto last night when i remembered a case i saw on spike TV or some such a few months ago... (i watch spike TV, cuz i'm a manly man's manly man's man.)  ;D this elderly lady, too old to really have any business driving, hops up onto a sidewalk at high speed and slams into a mother and her infant child, nearly pins them against a wall and nearly goes halfway through it in the process. they showed this closed-circuit t.v. footage of it, looks like they were dead for sure. then, in a panic, the driver lady backs up and speeds away, while everyone on the street looks on in stunned silence.

well, turns out in one of those freakish acts of nature the mother and infant were both thrown up on the car hood and the mother's body cushioned the blow to the baby, and they both got away with minor cuts and bruises, a great story to tell at parties and a reason to start going to church on sunday. and the lady, in a fit of remorse, turns around and comes back a few minutes later to face the music. the judge ended up dropping the hit and run charge against her.

so, moral of the story: here's an apparently devastating incident that ended up in the long run having no serious effect on anyone involved. but if someone had been on hand with a gun and a mentality like macphisto's: the driver would have been dead and the shooter would have been likely facing a murder charge.

Like I said, Tia.  If I ever witness an incident like the one that the man did in the OP, I'm just going to look the other way to appease people like you.

Just a personal observation, but there is a LOT of condescension on both parts in this thread.  It is unfortunate, and while everyone is bitching about gun laws, who's fault it is, and whatever else, a little girl is DEAD and her sister is seriously hurt.  So you can try to justify all your points all you want, but the fact remains that everyone in here has forgotten about the victims, as usual.

Oh I'm sure the police will work it out.  There's no need for people to step up in dealing with these situations.  I suppose you could call the cops, but you might accidentally keep the police from answering a more important call in the process.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/09 at 12:23 pm

A-men.  That way I won't have to worry if I am strong enough to drag the corpse up the porch stairs and into the house.

Pleased to meet you, Mr. Dahmer!
8-P

Written By: Macphisto on 05/10/09 at 12:25 pm

Lyric, I changed my mind.  I think the best way to defend your home is with harsh language.  Whenever I turn up my Richard Pryor albums on my stereo, that usually sends any troublemakers packing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/09 at 12:41 pm

Here is another case about trigger happy people.  >:( >:( >:(  This story just pisses me off.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6416320.html

Cat

Written By: Tia on 05/10/09 at 1:13 pm

Lyric, I changed my mind.  I think the best way to defend your home is with harsh language.  Whenever I turn up my Richard Pryor albums on my stereo, that usually sends any troublemakers packing.
oo! sarcasm! you hardly ever see that.

Written By: Tia on 05/10/09 at 1:15 pm

frankly, i think it's a bit foolish not to be afraid of guns. i'm "phobic" about guns the same way i'm "phobic" about large carnivorous felines, high places without adequate handrails and unexploded cluster bomblets.

i mean, the things kill. that's their job.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/10/09 at 1:17 pm

You're right, Tia.  Like I said before, I'm gonna turn in my guns and go the pacifist route.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/10/09 at 2:57 pm

Here is another case about trigger happy people.  >:( >:( >:(  This story just pisses me off.

Cat

They shot a 7 year old in the damn head. . .oh I hope that it does get changed to murder, that is insanity----total insanity, Oh my God, I mean they mistakenly thought they were trespassing?  They couldn't tell from the two kids heights that they were with their father, yeah that sounds like burglars to me. . .put a needled in these two--I'm sorry, but that was a 7 year old boy, and that girl and their dad just lost such a young innocent person to stupidity. . .This isn't about 'the right to bear arms to me' this is about rationality, that's just totally irrational. . .thanks cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/10/09 at 4:40 pm

The Joker: Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

I just thought that was relevant to the conversation :)  Carry on.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/09 at 8:30 pm

Cat

Very sad and very stupid. I said it recently: any retard with a clean record and $400 can get a gun. Two retards did. A kid is dead from it - it makes me mad as well, Catwoman.

Their actions were so far outside of reason that I'm left to wonder if they didn't have mental illlneses or were on drugs at the time of the shooting.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/09 at 12:23 am

Very sad and very stupid. I said it recently: any retard with a clean record and $400 can get a gun. Two retards did. A kid is dead from it - it makes me mad as well, Catwoman.

Their actions were so far outside of reason that I'm left to wonder if they didn't have mental illlneses or were on drugs at the time of the shooting.

Ant

I'd sell the gun to the 'tards, but I wouldn't sell 'em any ammo.  I'd tell them bullets are very dangerous but the gun itself is okay so long as they don't threaten anybody with it.

Then if they buy ammo elsewhere and gun some folks down, I won't be held responsible!
:D

Written By: philbo on 05/11/09 at 2:23 pm

I'll admit it; I'm red-blooded when it comes to guns.  That's mostly because I can't stand the posturing of people who come up with the most ridiculous excuses to demonize guns.

For "ridiculous excuses", read "statistics".

The man in this situation did something positive with a gun, and you can't even admit it.

No, I can admit that it has happened - what I'm trying to get you to admit is that something negative happens when a gun is used way more often than something positive.

It's people like you that make me afraid of guns.

Written By: Tia on 05/11/09 at 2:44 pm

Using a gun does not make one a man. Stepping up in any adverse situation is what I was referring to, not the display of a firearm. Had the man with the gun physically wrestled the wreckless driver out of the car, or used his own vehicle to prevent his escape, he would have stepped up all the same. In this day and age, using a cellphone to call the cops instead of taking pictures or video of the scene would have been manly.

It's not apt to use on Username, but I can accept it used on me.

I'll admit it; I'm red-blooded when it comes to guns. 
i think that's a big part of the problem is the ease with which the assumption gets made that gun support is somehow inherently masculine or "red blooded." i totally don't see it that way. i mean, i suppose it is in some instances, but just as often vociferous gun support seems to mask a lot of underlying insecurities specifically where some folks see their masculinity, "red bloodedness" or self-reliance to be most under threat.

look at the case catwoman cites... the contrast between the self-image of the shooters and their tough-guy "don't tread on me" persona, and the reality that they live in a "small house on stilts" and apparently can't afford an attorney. here are folks whose self-image is deeply invested in gun culture ("Trespassers will be shot. Survivers will be reshot!!") but in reality they dont appear to be capable of providing for themselves, and instead use gun culture and its concomitants (the rebel flag, the varmints-get-off-my-lawn mentality) as a way to compensate for shortcomings in life management that they themselves are surely, deep down, aware of.

i hasten to add, i'm not trying to harsh out the texas shooters in cat's case because they don't own much. i'm speculating that they're personally insecure about their circumstance, and that's why they were so aggressive and violent in defending what little they had. they wanted to feel bigger than they were, because they didn't accept the life they'd made for themselves.

now obviously gun culture is neither all compensation nor all selfless heroism but lies somewhere in between. but i think the assumption that a unyielding pro-gun mentality equates automatically with "red-bloodedness" needs serious examination.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/11/09 at 8:17 pm

oo! sarcasm! you hardly ever see that.

Sure you do.  Remember this post?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=36782.msg1981266#msg1981266

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/11/09 at 8:19 pm

Pleased to meet you, Mr. Dahmer!
8-P

Shuuush!  Jeffrey never used a gun!

Written By: Macphisto on 05/11/09 at 8:23 pm

For "ridiculous excuses", read "statistics".
No, I can admit that it has happened - what I'm trying to get you to admit is that something negative happens when a gun is used way more often than something positive.
It's people like you that make me afraid of guns.

Exactly, who needs self-defense when your law enforcement is flawless?

Written By: Macphisto on 05/11/09 at 8:26 pm

i think that's a big part of the problem is the ease with which the assumption gets made that gun support is somehow inherently masculine or "red blooded." i totally don't see it that way. i mean, i suppose it is in some instances, but just as often vociferous gun support seems to mask a lot of underlying insecurities specifically where some folks see their masculinity, "red bloodedness" or self-reliance to be most under threat.

look at the case catwoman cites... the contrast between the self-image of the shooters and their tough-guy "don't tread on me" persona, and the reality that they live in a "small house on stilts" and apparently can't afford an attorney. here are folks whose self-image is deeply invested in gun culture ("Trespassers will be shot. Survivers will be reshot!!") but in reality they dont appear to be capable of providing for themselves, and instead use gun culture and its concomitants (the rebel flag, the varmints-get-off-my-lawn mentality) as a way to compensate for shortcomings in life management that they themselves are surely, deep down, aware of.

i hasten to add, i'm not trying to harsh out the texas shooters in cat's case because they don't own much. i'm speculating that they're personally insecure about their circumstance, and that's why they were so aggressive and violent in defending what little they had. they wanted to feel bigger than they were, because they didn't accept the life they'd made for themselves.

now obviously gun culture is neither all compensation nor all selfless heroism but lies somewhere in between. but i think the assumption that a unyielding pro-gun mentality equates automatically with "red-bloodedness" needs serious examination.

Well, Tia, I've decided that it's much more productive to demonize guns and to not bother attempting to intervene in treacherous situations like the OP.

As Foo Bar pointed out, the way the laws are set up, you risk a good chance of getting sued if you do bother to intervene.

Written By: Tia on 05/11/09 at 9:27 pm

Sure you do.  Remember this post?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=36782.msg1981266#msg1981266
that struck me a lot more as defeatist cynicism than sarcasm, actually.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/13/09 at 1:56 am

Cat

This is horribly sad.  And exactly the type of situation I mean where the book should be thrown at the criminal.

Tresspassing is not justification of using deadly force.  And anybody that thinks it is should not own a gun.  Or if they do, should be locked up for life.

This is simple murder.  And I hope it is treated that way.

Written By: Tia on 05/13/09 at 6:02 am

here's a picture of the house with that infamous sign from another article.

http://www.chron.com/photos/2009/05/08/16585007/260xStory.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/13/09 at 11:58 pm

Well, Tia, I've decided that it's much more productive to demonize guns and to not bother attempting to intervene in treacherous situations like the OP.

As Foo Bar pointed out, the way the laws are set up, you risk a good chance of getting sued if you do bother to intervene.

Meh, I go away for a couple of days and the whole thread blows up.  LOL.

Lemme clarify what I actually meant. 

When the threat's over, you don't fire. 

My point wasn't about our legalistic society, because I'm not talking about the rules written by lawyers.  I'm not talking about "legal" vs. "illegal", I'm talking about (in Western civ) "right" and "wrong".  (Hey, the torture thread's that-a-way...)

In western civilization, they've been in every code of combat from the playground, to the Geneva conventions, to friggin' Fight Club.  You don't kick a man when he's down.  You don't shoot a man carrying a white flag.  When someone says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.

You don't follow these rules because you're afraid of getting sued -- you follow these rules because you're part of Western civilization, and in order to be the good guy, you've gotta play by those rules. 

That applies to cop and civilian alike.  The only difference between cops and little people is that if a cop is found to have used excessive force, he gets a paid vacation, and the civilian goes to jail.  And if there too many civilian-operated cameras around for the cops to confiscate, and there's a credible threat of riots, then even the cop might end up in jail.

If the guy had continued to drive his car (a deadly weapon) towards the civilian, the civilian would have been within his rights to fire.  But the bad guy stopped.  Threat down.  Fight over. 

When the fight is over, you don't fire, no matter how badly you might want to, and no matter how badly you think the guy might deserve it.  If the punk doesn't feel lucky, even Dirty Harry doesn't shoot.  Nobody said being the good guy was easy, but it's the difference - in western civ - between being one of the good guys and being just another outlaw.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/14/09 at 8:13 pm

You don't follow these rules because you're afraid of getting sued -- you follow these rules because you're part of Western civilization, and in order to be the good guy, you've gotta play by those rules. 

My rationale is a bit different.  It's not about being good or evil, it's about rational self-interest.  Morality is subjective, but self-interest can be logically expounded upon with regard to everyday actions.

Written By: philbo on 05/15/09 at 2:33 am

My rationale is a bit different.  It's not about being good or evil, it's about rational self-interest.  Morality is subjective, but self-interest can be logically expounded upon with regard to everyday actions.

So you're uncivilized and amoral?  I knew there was a reason to be scared that you carry a gun around.

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 7:30 am

So you're uncivilized and amoral?  I knew there was a reason to be scared that you carry a gun around.
now now. just because macphisto's spent the last couple days hurling insults at a crippled woman, that's no reason to call him "uncivilized."

Written By: philbo on 05/15/09 at 8:31 am

now now. just because macphisto's spent the last couple days hurling insults at a crippled woman, that's no reason to call him "uncivilized."

I agree - that's not why I'm calling him "uncivilized": I'm doing that because he said:

...he'll go along with being civilized while he considers it within his own self-interest.

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 9:01 am

i was brooding over that this morning: if someone accidentally runs over two little girls, wouldn't "rational self-interest" dictate that he try to speed off if he thinks he can get away with it? after all, if you stick around after accidentally running over kids you might get sued or face criminal charges and that would hardly be in one's "self-interest."

Written By: philbo on 05/15/09 at 9:57 am

Only if you thought you could get away: if you were fairly sure that you'd been spotted and recognized/number plate taken, then rational self-interest would be to stop so you don't get done for running away, too.

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 10:10 am

Only if you thought you could get away: if you were fairly sure that you'd been spotted and recognized/number plate taken, then rational self-interest would be to stop so you don't get done for running away, too.
and yet macphisto's outrage at this guy appears to be moral in nature. i kinda agree with you, i think this dude seems to have acted strictly in his own self-interest -- he tried to get away, and then when he determined he couldn't, he gave up. so why is macphisto so mad at him? he just seems to be carrying out this "rational self-interest" philosophy.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 11:42 am

i was brooding over that this morning: if someone accidentally runs over two little girls, wouldn't "rational self-interest" dictate that he try to speed off if he thinks he can get away with it? after all, if you stick around after accidentally running over kids you might get sued or face criminal charges and that would hardly be in one's "self-interest."

That implies that you are generalizing everyone to try to "get away with it"...I would get out and make sure I didn't cause too much damage to the little girls, but maybe that makes me a mutant because I actually have a conscience.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/15/09 at 4:10 pm

It is a bit more complicated.  What you have to do is this:

Determine the total "pain" the perp would incur if he sticks around the scene of the crime.  Call this variable P.
Determine how much "pain" he will incur if he makes a run for it and gets caught.  Call this C.
Determine how much guilt-derived pain he will have if he runs and gets away with it, call this G.
Now, you have to determine the probability of getting nabbed if you make a run for it.  We'll call this Z, which is a value from 0 (never will get caught) to 1 (I am so stupid it is almost certain I will get caught)
Therefore the total amount of "pain" (variable X)  that the perp should expect to get from hauling azz is the equation  X = ( Z * C ) + ( ( 1 - Z) * G )
If X is less than P then he should put the pedal to the metal.

And that is today's lession in risk management.

;)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 4:10 pm

Uh no.  Research the basis for Objectivism.  I don't agree much with Rand's economic views, but I do like her explanation of morals.

Nearly everything we do can be traced back to self-interest -- rational self-interest.

No need to be afraid though...  because most of my actions will be identical to those of conventional morality.  There are a few cases where I diverge, but that's out of practicality.

It is a bit more complicated.  What you have to do is this:

Determine the total "pain" the perp would incur if he sticks around the scene of the crime.  Call this variable P.
Determine how much "pain" he will incur if he makes a run for it and gets caught.  Call this C.
Determine how much guilt-derived pain he will have if he runs and gets away with it, call this G.
Now, you have to determine the probability of getting nabbed if you make a run for it.  We'll call this Z, which is a value from 0 (never will get caught) to 1 (I am so stupid it is almost certain I will get caught)
Therefore the total amount of "pain" (variable X)  that the perp should expect to get from hauling azz is the equation  X = ( Z * C ) + ( ( 1 - Z) * G )
If X is less than P then he should put the pedal to the metal.

And that is today's lession in risk management.

;)

Thank you, LyricBoy.  You actually get it.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 4:24 pm

and yet macphisto's outrage at this guy appears to be moral in nature. i kinda agree with you, i think this dude seems to have acted strictly in his own self-interest -- he tried to get away, and then when he determined he couldn't, he gave up. so why is macphisto so mad at him? he just seems to be carrying out this "rational self-interest" philosophy.

I realized my error was in getting mad at him.  As you suggested earlier, it was probably just an accident, and the guy's fear (and resulting lapse in judgment) was understandable.

Then again, so was the lapse in judgment of Torti in that other thread.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/15/09 at 4:28 pm

"Rational self-interest" would mean not being the cause of an accident.

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 4:32 pm

Ant

Yes, but realizing that would require thinking rationally, wouldn't it?  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 4:40 pm

Maybe the Randroids would say it is in your rational self-interest to LOOK WHERE THE F**K YOU'RE GOING in the first place!  That is, once the sonofabitch ran over the kids, he demonstrated he was not really self-interested.  

HOWEVER, if the driver wanted to renew his subscription to self-interest after the fact, then you get into the philosophical argument as to where moral conscience for the greater good meets self-interest.  Here the Randroids would quickly side with Judeo-Christian morality and tell the driver to turn himself in.  He'd ask, "But how is it in my self-interest to my ass sued off and then incarcerated for reckless driving and vehicular homicide?"  If you have to ask, then it isn't.  In old Germanic law, there was no corrective penalty for homicide.  What they had was a Weregild, a price for the man.  This jibes much easier with simplistic objectivism as it leaves out the moral gray area and gives you a tangible cost to pay for damages done.  

Speaking of the Randroids, one of those guys from the Ayn Rand Institute for Objectionable People totally stepped in it on the Thom Hartmann show a couple of weeks ago.  Thom quoted Upton Sinclaire's "The Jungle" as an argument against the Objectionable guy's free market POV, and the Objectionable guy scoffed, "Well, if you're going to get your ideas from some novel..."

Ant

As above, you and I were thinking basically the same thing.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 4:45 pm

Maybe the Randroids would say it is in your rational self-interest to LOOK WHERE THE F**K YOU'RE GOING in the first place!  That is, once the sonofabitch ran over the kids, he demonstrated he was not really self-interested.  

HOWEVER, if the driver wanted to renew his subscription to self-interest after the fact, then you get into the philosophical argument as to where moral conscience for the greater good meets self-interest.  Here the Randroids would quickly side with Judeo-Christian morality and tell the driver to turn himself in.  He'd ask, "But how is it in my self-interest to my ass sued off and then incarcerated for reckless driving and vehicular homicide?"  If you have to ask, then it isn't.  In old Germanic law, there was no corrective penalty for homicide.  What they had was a Weregild, a price for the man.  This jibes much easier with simplistic objectivism as it leaves out the moral gray area and gives you a tangible cost to pay for damages done.  

Speaking of the Randroids, one of those guys from the Ayn Rand Institute for Objectionable People totally stepped in it on the Thom Hartmann show a couple of weeks ago.  Thom quoted Orwell's "1984" in an argument against the Objectionable guy's argument, and the Objectionable guy scoffed, "Well, if you're going to get your philosophy from some novel..."

I think you're still missing one important thing here...  It all comes back to the likelihood of being caught.

In most cases, you're not going to get away with a hit and run.

Here's why...  In many cases, there are witnesses.  In other cases, you might hit the person, but they won't die, so they can give a decent description of you if you choose to leave the scene.  Then, of course, if you decided that killing the victim would save you from being caught, that doesn't make much sense either, since murders get much more attention from law enforcement than just non-fatal hit and runs -- which increases the chances they'll actually catch you due to them putting more effort into the investigation.

So, 99% of the time, you might as well turn yourself in.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 4:50 pm

I think you're still missing one important thing here...  It all comes back to the likelihood of being caught.

In most cases, you're not going to get away with a hit and run.

Here's why...   In many cases, there are witnesses.  In other cases, you might hit the person, but they won't die, so they can give a decent description of you if you choose to leave the scene.  Then, of course, if you decided that killing the victim would save you from being caught, that doesn't make much sense either, since murders get much more attention from law enforcement than just non-fatal hit and runs -- which increases the chances they'll actually catch you due to them putting more effort into the investigation.

So, 99% of the time, you might as well turn yourself in.

I just hate to think there are people who are that devoid of conscience, but I know there are!

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 4:50 pm

Ant

so rational self-interest will actually eliminate all accidents, forever? wow. i might actually be interested in it, then.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 4:53 pm

so rational self-interest will actually eliminate all accidents, forever? wow. i might actually be interested in it, then.

Being rational would be a nice change from you.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 4:54 pm

I just hate to think there are people who are that devoid of conscience, but I know there are!

Laws exist because of the innate selfishness of mankind.  If we were naturally moral in the "conventional" sense, we wouldn't need laws or jails.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/15/09 at 4:55 pm

Why the constant sarcasm?

Ant

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 4:57 pm

Why the constant sarcasm?

Ant
im trying to understand your point. i'm actually not being sarcastic, i'm literally restating your point, which is apparently that people with "rational self-interest" never have accidents. please let me know where i'm wrong.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 4:58 pm

Laws exist because of the innate selfishness of mankind.  If we were naturally moral in the "conventional" sense, we wouldn't need laws or jails.

Of course, the question as to whether mankind is "naturally moral" is still being hashed-out by philosophers and will still be a thousand years from now.  It's a question far beyond the scope of this thread.

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 4:59 pm

Being rational would be a nice change from you.
this is just childish.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 5:00 pm

im trying to understand your point. i'm actually not being sarcastic, i'm literally restating your point, which is apparently that people with "rational self-interest" never have accidents. please let me know where i'm wrong.

No, people who consistently follow rational self-interest are less likely to be in accidents.

No one's reason or reflexes are flawless though.

Then again, few people actually follow rational self-interest in a consistent or comprehensive way, which is why many selfish acts are extremely shortsighted.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:00 pm

Maybe they have more accidents because they're too busy worrying about whether they're being rationally self-interested to keep their eyes on the road!

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 5:04 pm

No, people who consistently follow rational self-interest are less likely to be in accidents.

No one's reason or reflexes are flawless though.

Then again, few people actually follow rational self-interest in a consistent or comprehensive way, which is why many selfish acts are extremely shortsighted.
well, first of all, that's not what red ant was saying. he said that following "rational self-interest" means not being the cause of an accident.

i'm befuddled by the apparent implication here, which is that people apparently decide to get into accidents. i suppose sometimes people do, but i don't see where being "self-interested" (and if there's a difference between this and being plain "selfish," i guess i'm not clear what it is) is going to have any effect, other than deleterious, on rate of accidents. avoiding accidents often means driving defensively, letting people get away with things you rationally shouldn't let them get away with, yielding even when you have right of way, etc. this is the opposite of self-interest/selfishness.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 5:07 pm

...as an aside, I think most authorities call car crashes "collisions" now rather than "accidents" because it's usually someone's fault, therefore not a true "accident".

Carry on.

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 5:09 pm

...as an aside, I think most authorities call car crashes "collisions" now rather than "accidents" because it's usually someone's fault, therefore not a true "accident".

Carry on.
well in the future this should be pretty easy to figure out. in any 'collision', just find out which driver has read ayn rand. that writer will be the one with rational self-interest, and therefore the accident must be the fault of whoever's left.  :P

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 5:09 pm

well, first of all, that's not what red ant was saying. he said that following "rational self-interest" means not being the cause of an accident.

i'm befuddled by the apparent implication here, which is that people apparently decide to get into accidents. i suppose sometimes people do, but i don't see where being "self-interested" (and if there's a difference between this and being plain "selfish," i guess i'm not clear what it is) is going to have any effect, other than deleterious, on rate of accidents. avoiding accidents often means driving defensively, letting people get away with things you rationally shouldn't let them get away with, yielding even when you have right of way, etc. this is the opposite of self-interest/selfishness.

A few things...

Selfishness in the context we normally think of is shortsighted.

Rational self-interest is a cognitive process where you weigh your options in a given situation with the long term in mind.  It's not as involved as it sounds if you're used to doing it a lot.  After a while, it becomes a reflex.

Letting people get away with being crazy drivers makes sense from the viewpoint of a typical motorist, because if you drive slowly and keep your distance from other drivers, you're less likely to get hit.  When in heavy traffic, you have less choices, but if you assume that everyone around you is somewhat unobservant of traffic laws and is only moderately proficient at driving, you will drive in more careful ways.

I'm a pretty defensive driver (as Ant can attest), so I don't tailgate people and I often anticipate mergers by moving away from them when I can.

All of this is rational self-interest, because I want to avoid a wreck at all costs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:11 pm

I would say most "accidents" are caused by negligence on somebody's part, which is a goodly portion of tort law.  The question is the degree and consequences of one's negligence.  No matter how much we exercise rational self-interest, I know of no human who is 100% rational 100% of the time.

Carry on.

You guys are moving just a little too fast for me!
;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 5:11 pm

well in the future this should be pretty easy to figure out. in any 'collision', just find out which driver has read ayn rand. that writer will be the one with rational self-interest, and therefore the accident must be the fault of whoever's left.  :P

Never read Ayn Rand but I am aware of their existence...

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 5:12 pm

A few things...

Selfishness in the context we normally think of is shortsighted.

Rational self-interest is a cognitive process where you weigh your options in a given situation with the long term in mind.  It's not as involved as it sounds if you're used to doing it a lot.  After a while, it becomes a reflex.

Letting people get away with being crazy drivers makes sense from the viewpoint of a typical motorist, because if you drive slowly and keep your distance from other drivers, you're less likely to get hit.  When in heavy traffic, you have less choices, but if you assume that everyone around you is somewhat unobservant of traffic laws and is only moderately proficient at driving, you will drive in more careful ways.

I'm a pretty defensive driver (as Ant can attest), so I don't tailgate people and I often anticipate mergers by moving away from them when I can.

All of this is rational self-interest, because I want to avoid a wreck at all costs.
doesn't that all rate a big 'no duh'? it's best to avoid accidents for everyone involved. i kinda knew that already. but unless you can turn off all human emotion, mr. spock style (which, actually, to be fair you seem pretty well on your way in that regard) this all seems like a bit of a truism to me.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 5:12 pm

I would say most "accidents" are caused by negligence on somebody's part, which is a goodly portion of tort law.  The question is the degree and consequences of one's negligence.  No matter how much we exercise rational self-interest, I know of no human who is 100% rational 100% of the time.

Whoever said humans were logical?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 5:13 pm

doesn't that all rate a big 'no duh'? it's best to avoid accidents for everyone involved. i kinda knew that already. but unless you can turn off all human emotion, mr. spock style (which, actually, to be fair you seem pretty well on your way in that regard) this all seems like a bit of a truism to me.

Mr. Spock couldn't contain himself in that one episode where he "killed" Kirk but then realized he was still alive, and had a momentary burst of joy.

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 5:13 pm

Mr. Spock couldn't contain himself in that one episode where he "killed" Kirk but then realized he was still alive, and had a momentary burst of joy.
well if you know the lore, spock was actually only half libertarian vulcan, so...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:15 pm

Whoever said humans were logical?

Is being rational part of being logical or is being logical part of being rational?  Do tell, Mr. Spock!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 5:16 pm

well if you know the lore, spock was actually only half libertarian vulcan, so...

You are correct 8)  Therefore he is partly illogical.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 5:16 pm

Is being rational part of being logical or is being logical part of being rational?  Do tell, Mr. Spock!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

Logic by default requires some form of rationale, no?

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 5:18 pm

i'd sorta nuance this a bit to say that the law is set up to determine fault in most instances, because to have accidents where no one's at fault is more difficult for the system to absorb. i think a lot of accidents (and other legal situations) everyone's actions are somewhat understandable but if the law saw it that way, it would be much harder to sort out who pays for what.

to bring up a contentious argument from another thread -- the accident where the lady pulled the other lady out of a car because lady A thought (probably because she was drunk and stoned, which makes you paranoid) that the car was about to explode... in that situation the consequences were way out of proportion to the offense anyone committed, and yet the Law is determined to hold someone accountable...

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 5:19 pm

You asked the question.  I gave the answer.  Just because it wasn't counterintuitive doesn't mean it's incorrect or negligible.

In fact, it kind of proves my point.  Naturally, you actually use rational self-interest in some of your decisions.  Like me, you have self-interests in mind.  The difference is that many people assume that compassion makes them different.  It doesn't.  Compassion is both emotional and linked somewhat to rational self-interest because of certain instincts we have.

What Objectivism seems to encourage is the disciplined control of compassion.  Logic is practically superior to emotion.  What makes us different from animals is our intellect, and most often, it is the disciplined focus of logic over emotion that results in more productive choices rather than following tradition or instinct.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:22 pm

Logic by default requires some form of rationale, no?

Ah, but rationality must presuppose a logical structure vis-a-vis its mechanism, to be sure?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/bs.gif

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/09 at 5:25 pm

Ah, but rationality must presuppose a logical structure vis-a-vis its mechanism, to be sure?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/bs.gif

Did we just go chicken-egg?

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 5:28 pm

You asked the question.  I gave the answer.  Just because it wasn't counterintuitive doesn't mean it's incorrect or negligible.

In fact, it kind of proves my point.  Naturally, you actually use rational self-interest in some of your decisions.  Like me, you have self-interests in mind.  The difference is that many people assume that compassion makes them different.  It doesn't.  Compassion is both emotional and linked somewhat to rational self-interest because of certain instincts we have.

What Objectivism seems to encourage is the disciplined control of compassion.  Logic is practically superior to emotion.  What makes us different from animals is our intellect, and most often, it is the disciplined focus of logic over emotion that results in more productive choices rather than following tradition or instinct.

i kinda think we'd all be living in a much better world if ayn rand had decided to become a stripper.  ;D

i actually think compassion and emotion, not "logic" -- which i think when you're using the word logic what you actually mean is strict utilitarianism; logic is sorta different and abstract, applying formal rules to axioms to derive conclusions, etc., it tends to have little to say about concrete life situations -- but i'm always seeing animals setting aside emotion and compassion in favor of self-interest. it's called predatory behavior, and the state of nature is basically made of it. that's what i've always seen objectivism and libertarianism ultimately leading to, a kind of anti-civilization. civilization has always been about pooling our resources because we're stronger as tribes, nations and as a species when we work together than when everyone's running around doing what's best for them as individuals.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:28 pm

i'd sorta nuance this a bit to say that the law is set up to determine fault in most instances, because to have accidents where no one's at fault is more difficult for the system to absorb. i think a lot of accidents (and other legal situations) everyone's actions are somewhat understandable but if the law saw it that way, it would be much harder to sort out who pays for what.

to bring up a contentious argument from another thread -- the accident where the lady pulled the other lady out of a car because lady A thought (probably because she was drunk and stoned, which makes you paranoid) that the car was about to explode... in that situation the consequences were way out of proportion to the offense anyone committed, and yet the Law is determined to hold someone accountable...

I agree...hypothetically...what if the guy slammed on the brakes with plenty of distance between his car and the pedestrians, but his brake pads were faulty, so the manufacturer was negligent.  If the government has no regulation over the quality of automobile parts -- as the Randroids would have it -- then the justice system cannot demand redress from the manufacturer.  The Randroids will say it is in the company's self-interest to manufacture functional brake pads, otherwise consumers won't give the company their business; however, should it cost human life and limb for businesses to do the right thing?
???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:30 pm

Did we just go chicken-egg?

Neither.  The rooster came first. Gnyuk gnyuk gnyuk!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_rabbit.gif

Written By: Tia on 05/15/09 at 5:32 pm

I agree...hypothetically...what if the guy slammed on the brakes with plenty of distance between his car and the pedestrians, but his brake pads were faulty, so the manufacturer was negligent.  If the government has no regulation over the quality of automobile parts -- as the Randroids would have it -- then the justice system cannot demand redress from the manufacturer.  The Randroids will say it is in the company's self-interest to manufacture functional brake pads, otherwise consumers won't give the company their business; however, should it cost human life and limb for businesses to do the right thing?
???
ever see fight club? only makes sense to make working brake pads if the legal settlements are more than the overhead involved with manufacturing quality brake pads. otherwise you just, as a car company, make commercials that make people think, erroneously, that your cars are safe. a certain number of people will die needlessly, but it would be incumbent on you to turn off your compassion and emotion and look solely at what maximizes profits.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 5:33 pm

i kinda think we'd all be living in a much better world if ayn rand had decided to become a stripper.  ;D

i actually think compassion and emotion, not "logic" -- which i think when you're using the word logic what you actually mean is strict utilitarianism; logic is sorta different and abstract, applying formal rules to axioms to derive conclusions, etc., it tends to have little to say about concrete life situations -- but i'm always seeing animals setting aside emotion and compassion in favor of self-interest. it's called predatory behavior, and the state of nature is basically made of it. that's what i've always seen objectivism and libertarianism ultimately leading to, a kind of anti-civilization. civilization has always been about pooling our resources because we're stronger as tribes, nations and as a species when we work together than when everyone's running around doing what's best for them as individuals.

Rand herself would have likely created a society like that if she was given full reign over a country.

As I said earlier, I don't agree with her economic views because she seemed somewhat traumatized by her early experiences with the Soviet Union.  As a result, I believe her logic was compromised on economic matters by her apparent absolute faith in markets.

I actually lean socialist on some issues (like medicine), so I would agree with you that pooling resources makes the most sense.  For the most part, I actually believe that a true manifestation of proper (rational self-interested) Objectivism is actually Norway.

Norway simultaneously has competitive markets in addition to comprehensive social programs.  This way, all of society benefits while still being able to excel in personal business matters.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/15/09 at 5:55 pm

As I see it, the difference between self-interest and selfish is subtle, but pretty big. Selfish would be running a red light because you don't want to stop, or are late for work, etc. Self-interest would mean stopping for it, not because it's the law, but because running it may result in an accident in which you are hurt. Broken neck > being 3 minutes late for work.

Both mindsets are selfish: the difference is that one is putting others at risk from your actions, the other is to keep you from risk, while simutaneously not being a risk to others as a side-benefit.

I prefer to not run red lights and such because I rather dislike the idea of becoming road pizza via tractor-trailer. or getting a ticket. or higher insurance rates. or running over kids. or going to jail. or getting sued.

Maybe we're defining terms here differently, because I equate self interest with self preservation.

"avoiding accidents often means driving defensively, letting people get away with things you rationally shouldn't let them get away with, yielding even when you have right of way, etc. this is the opposite of self-interest/selfishness.

Being rational and being right aren't the same thing. For example: a semi might cuts you off (happened to me yesterday). Being "right" means staying in your lane: being rational means gtfo out his way. Being alive is more important that being right (or rational).

Having a "rational self-interest" (I didn't bring up the term) would not eliminate all car accidents. The semi driver that swerved into my lane didn't do it out of malice or bad intent - it was probably just a momentary lapse in his concentration. It happens to all of us.

Btw, I've never read any of Rand's books.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 6:08 pm

ever see fight club? only makes sense to make working brake pads if the legal settlements are more than the overhead involved with manufacturing quality brake pads. otherwise you just, as a car company, make commercials that make people think, erroneously, that your cars are safe. a certain number of people will die needlessly, but it would be incumbent on you to turn off your compassion and emotion and look solely at what maximizes profits.

Legal settlements only apply if society gives the government the power to regulate commerce.  The Republicans have spent the past 30 years telling us less regulation is always better.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/09 at 9:59 pm

Rational self-interest is a cognitive process where you weigh your options in a given situation with the long term in mind.  It's not as involved as it sounds if you're used to doing it a lot.  After a while, it becomes a reflex.

Letting people get away with being crazy drivers makes sense from the viewpoint of a typical motorist, because if you drive slowly and keep your distance from other drivers, you're less likely to get hit.  When in heavy traffic, you have less choices, but if you assume that everyone around you is somewhat unobservant of traffic laws and is only moderately proficient at driving, you will drive in more careful ways.

And to amplify this point...

Rational self interest, from the driver's point of view of having hit someone:

You've inflicted force upon an unwilling person.  Whether through malice or negligence doesn't matter; you're obliged to pay for the damage you've done.  You can't necessarily resurrect the kid you flattened, but you can stop the car, dial 911, render medical aid, and report the incident to the authorities when they arrive. 

How you make restitution is up to the courts; the difference between a Randroid (or a Libertarian) and an Anarchist is that the former are willing to cede the monopoly on violence to the State.  (Anarchists aren't; they reject the State entirely.) 

The form of that restitution, as imposed by the court, could be anything from estimating the future earnings of the person you ran over and garnishing your wages accordingly, to fines plus jail time, and (depending on whether you're willing to give the State the power of life and death) the death penalty.  In a nation of laws, the form of restitutioin is codified in law, and it's up to lawyers to haggle over the details of which laws apply - that is, whether or not it was "an accident" (brakes failed, and it's a matter of contract law to figure out if an insurance policy pays out), "negligence" (driver wasn't paying attention), "reckless endangerment" (...while getting a BJ at 90 miles an hour...), or some form of homicide (...guy stated an intention of running someone down).

In all cases, it's within the driver's rational self-interest to pull over and render aid, even in the complete absence of witnesses.  A nation of laws becomes an anarchy if the laws are not obeyed, and if "back up and finish the job" were to be perceived as a legitimate option, he might just as easily become the next victim. 

By that same token, it's within the rational self-interest of the armed bystander to draw on the driver, but not to fire if the driver pulls over.  The State has a monopoly on violence, the bystander is also a civilian, and no court has authorized any violence on behalf of the State.  The only force the armed bystander can naturally (i.e. by virtue of "natural law", namely rational self interest) exercise is the minimum amount of force necessary to prevent the driver from continuing to inflict force upon the victim being dragged beneath the car.

Ethics is nasty complicated stuff.  Did I tell ya about the time a train was running down a track towards a kid with a broken leg?  And there was another kid with a broken leg on the other line, and I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to throw the switch?  The very next week, the runaway train was aimed at a school bus stalled on the tracks, and I flipped the switch to squash another single kid with a broken leg instead.  Good thing I don't have kids, because the next week, I saw some poor bastard in the same situation having to choose whether to flip the switch to squash a stalled schoolbus full of strangers' kids to save his own kid.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/09 at 7:32 am

In all cases, it's within the driver's rational self-interest to pull over and render aid, even in the complete absence of witnesses.  A nation of laws becomes an anarchy if the laws are not obeyed, and if "back up and finish the job" were to be perceived as a legitimate option, he might just as easily become the next victim. 

Absolutely not.  What if the driver was an escaped Death Row convict, whose last appeal to the SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) was just denied and he's scheduled to get fried tomorrow at sunrise?

He would be VASTLY better off to go on the run.

Now I realize that this is an extreme example, but if we are strictly looking at INDIVIDUAL interests, the computation of "what os the right thing to do" varies based on the various situational data.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/16/09 at 9:52 am

By that same token, it's within the rational self-interest of the armed bystander to draw on the driver, but not to fire if the driver pulls over.  The State has a monopoly on violence, the bystander is also a civilian, and no court has authorized any violence on behalf of the State.  The only force the armed bystander can naturally (i.e. by virtue of "natural law", namely rational self interest) exercise is the minimum amount of force necessary to prevent the driver from continuing to inflict force upon the victim being dragged beneath the car.

Ethics is nasty complicated stuff.  Did I tell ya about the time a train was running down a track towards a kid with a broken leg?  And there was another kid with a broken leg on the other line, and I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to throw the switch?  The very next week, the runaway train was aimed at a school bus stalled on the tracks, and I flipped the switch to squash another single kid with a broken leg instead.  Good thing I don't have kids, because the next week, I saw some poor bastard in the same situation having to choose whether to flip the switch to squash a stalled schoolbus full of strangers' kids to save his own kid.

While I agree with the rest of your post, I would argue that the case with Knepp was actually one where pulling the gun on the driver worked, but the odds were against him.  It was a risky manuever and letting the guy do a hit and run would have probably served the situation better than stopping him.  So, I actually agree with Tia on this now.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that simply reporting the incident makes the most sense and creates the least risk for yourself.

In the second example with the train tracks, not flipping the switch and letting the situation proceed without your influence is the most legally sound option, because, that way, the courts can't possibly connect you to the occurrence and render any punishment.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/16/09 at 11:20 pm

Did I tell ya about the time a train was running down a track towards a kid with a broken leg?  And there was another kid with a broken leg on the other line, and I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to throw the switch?  The very next week, the runaway train was aimed at a school bus stalled on the tracks, and I flipped the switch to squash another single kid with a broken leg instead.  Good thing I don't have kids, because the next week, I saw some poor bastard in the same situation having to choose whether to flip the switch to squash a stalled schoolbus full of strangers' kids to save his own kid.

Intriguing hypothetical ethics dilemma, but in the real world of today tampering with rail switchgear probably makes one a terrorist.  ;)

Murphy's Law: Any railroad switch you have to throw will be locked or rusted in place.

Chaos Theory, as applicable to railway switches: oops.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/09 at 12:58 am

Absolutely not.  What if the driver was an escaped Death Row convict, whose last appeal to the SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) was just denied and he's scheduled to get fried tomorrow at sunrise?

He would be VASTLY better off to go on the run.

Heluva hypothetical you got there, LB!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/09 at 7:52 am

Heluva hypothetical you got there, LB!

Granted this is an EXTREME case.  But since it would appear to e valid, the question then exists "where is the inflection point" which causes a perp to run instead of stay?  There was a prior post that says it is always in the best interest of the perp to stick around, but however distastful this will sound, in some cases the perp is better off making a run for it.

(In the secular world, that is.  From a moral standpoint he's gonna burn in hell riding a Chrysler Cordoba, of course)

Check for new replies or respond here...