» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New Canadian Citizenship Law

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/09 at 11:14 am

I just found out about this the other day.  On April 17, 2009, a new Canadian Citizenship and Adoption Law was passed ...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/citizenship/law-citizenship.asp

The new law
A new law that simplifies citizenship rules came into effect on April 17, 2009. The law, approved by Parliament last year:

•restores or gives Canadian citizenship to those who never had it or lost it and;
•limits Canadian citizenship to the first generation born to Canadian parents outside Canada.

-------------

The limitation means that children born outside Canada to a Canadian parent will be Canadian at birth if:

•one parent was born in Canada, or
•one parent became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada and was later granted citizenship (also called naturalization).

The Canadian Citizenship act came into effect in June of 1947, so this new rule applies to anyone born on or after January 1, 1947. 

Inquiring minds want to know:  Have any celebrities been affected by this new rule?  For starters, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Jorja Fox, Erika Eleniak, Vince Vaughn, Robin Thicke and Paula Abdul are all now Canadian Citizens 8)

Subject: Re: New Canadian Citizenship Law

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/09 at 12:53 pm

Does this portend that the Canadian airwaves will be flooded with Paula Abdul oldies, because they pass the local content rule? ???

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/09 at 3:05 pm

Does this portend that the Canadian airwaves will be flooded with Paula Abdul oldies, because they pass the local content rule? ???

Classic radio plays her songs alot anyway.  Now they can do it and meet their CANCON quotas lol

Written By: SoulAsylum on 05/10/09 at 7:08 pm

For many it would be Dual-citizenship would it not?

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/09 at 7:13 pm

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Jorja Fox, Erika Eleniak, Vince Vaughn, Robin Thicke and Paula Abdul are all now Canadian Citizens 8)

Amanda Bynes, Ricky Gervais and WWE Wrestler Carly "Carlito" ColĂłn can also be added to this list

For many it would be Dual-citizenship would it not?

It would yes.  Apparently some people are saying they would have to accept the Canadian Citizenship first, then they would automatically get it, which makes sense as they would need to have the proper documentation that satates they are in fact Canadian Citizens.  Don't see why anyone would reject it.  How can anyone say no to free healthcare

Written By: SoulAsylum on 05/11/09 at 3:08 am

Amanda Bynes, Ricky Gervais and WWE Wrestler Carly "Carlito" ColĂłn can also be added to this list

It would yes.  Apparently some people are saying they would have to accept the Canadian Citizenship first, then they would automatically get it, which makes sense as they would need to have the proper documentation that satates they are in fact Canadian Citizens.  Don't see why anyone would reject it.  How can anyone say no to free healthcare

Oh if you were to ask George W Bush, I'm sure he'd think of something.

Written By: Paul on 05/15/09 at 6:48 am

Not sure about the others, but you're welcome to Ricky Gervais... :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/15/09 at 4:14 pm

How can anyone say no to free healthcare

Healthcare?  Heck, I thought you Canucks all got free tickets to the hockey games.  Count me in.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/09 at 7:52 pm

Not sure about the others, but you're welcome to Ricky Gervais... :P

We already have too many clowns in Canada already :D

Healthcare?  Heck, I thought you Canucks all got free tickets to the hockey games.  Count me in.   ;D

We need our healthcare now more than ever for one reason:  Alot of Canadian males (and maybe even some females) may have a heart attack due to overexcitement after learning that Amanda Bynes is now a Canadian Citizen ...

http://redcarpetshowdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/amanda-bynes-heart-truth-06.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/09 at 7:33 am

Alot of Canadian males (and maybe even some females) may have a heart attack due to overexcitement after learning that Amanda Bynes is now a Canadian Citizen ...

http://redcarpetshowdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/amanda-bynes-heart-truth-06.jpg

Good point whistledog.  I certainly would... well, you know...  :P

Written By: McDonald on 05/18/09 at 9:18 am

I'm not a huge fan of this legislation. I'm glad the 'Lost Canadians' issue has finally been resolved, but I think the new rules will only create another generation of them. Under the Citizenship Act of 1977, children born to Canadian parents abroad who themselves were born abroad were conferred Canadian citizenship, and the second generation of so-called 'foreign-born' Canadians would enjoy Canadian citizenship until the age of 28, when they would have to submit an application to retain their citizenship demonstrating a significant enough connection to the country in order to justify it. I believe this was a fair system.

Under the new law, however, these people born abroad for whatever reason to parents who were themselves born abroad will not be Canadian. So, case example. Martin is Canadian. He was born abroad and receives his Canadian citizenship at birth because his father is Canadian. He lives in Canada all his life as a normal Canadian just like you and me. Martin gets a contract to work in France for one year, and as soon as he gets there he meets a Frenchwoman and falls in love and the Frenchwoman gets pregnant. A child is born. The child is certainly French, not because he was born in France (that's not the law in France) but because his mother is a French citizen. The child is not Canadian. Martin still intends on moving back to Canada in a few months when his contract is up (he cannot stay in France). His wife will have to immigrate, and he'll have to ask for special 'fast-track' naturalisation for his child.

I think that is a disgrace. To have to naturalise one's own child in his own country? What kind of half-baked idea is that? I like the new law in all but this one feature. What was wrong with the old system where the 2nd generation born abroad had to demand retention at the age of 28? Myself having been born abroad, I guess I better be careful about whom I marry and where we are when we have our first child if I want the child to have my nationality. This is such sloppy legislation. 

In any case, I think jus soli is a ridiculous system of choosing who your citizens are. It's your parents' nationality that should determine which passport you will hold, not your mother's geographic location at the time of your birth. I was born in Germany and have absolutely no claim to citizenship there, and rightly so. What would make me German unless my parents were German or unless I grew up there? Nothing.

Check for new replies or respond here...