» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Aggressive Interrogation Techniques? To hell with Cheney, even the UN approves!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/14/09 at 2:43 am

China? Russia? Cuba? Saudia Arabia? Amateurs!

I appreciate the money you've spending on your PR campaign for torture, Mr. Cheney, but nothing you do will ever disgustimpress me as much as the UN's official stamp of confirmation and approval.

We had to torture a lotta Chucks, eavesdrop on a lot of our own citizens, employ a doubleplusboatload of doublethink, but it's time for Nigeria, Cuba, China, and Saudi Arabia to move it on over, 'cuz the big dog's movin' in. 

We've finally joined the big leagues.  Look at your fellow American next to you, and shake his hand.  It may have taken us eight years from 9/11, but we've finally crossed enough ethical lines to earn a seat on the UN Human Rights Council.

Subject: Re: Aggressive Interrogation Techniques? To hell with Cheney, even the UN approves!

Written By: Tia on 05/14/09 at 10:10 am

the US was refusing to join, probably because of America's unequivocal and one-sided support for israel. it's not that the UN council was refusing the US membership.

though i agree with you (i think; it's hard to sort through all the sarcasm): the US hardly has any authority about human rights anymore. neither does the UN council, really. human rights are basically on their way out.

Subject: Re: Aggressive Interrogation Techniques? To hell with Cheney, even the UN approves!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/09 at 6:36 pm

"Human Rights" has such a quaint second-half-of-the-twentieth-century ring to it.  Let's all drink some Tang and go to the moon!
:D

Written By: Macphisto on 05/14/09 at 8:03 pm

Torture is only acceptable when it's not publicized.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:06 pm

Torture is only acceptable when it's not publicized.

That's what Cheney's trying to tell us.  You can't have the press nosing around while men in the shadows are busy keeping us safe from the terrorists!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses6.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 5:12 pm

That's what Cheney's trying to tell us.  You can't have the press nosing around while men in the shadows are busy keeping us safe from the terrorists!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses6.gif

heh...  Well, what I mean is...  if you think waterboarding is bad...  think again.  That's one of the tamer techniques our government and others use.

The only difference is that most other governments are smart enough to keep torture under wraps.  In America, it's hard to keep anything secret (which is a good thing in some ways).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:38 pm

heh...  Well, what I mean is...  if you think waterboarding is bad...   think again.  That's one of the tamer techniques our government and others use.

The only difference is that most other governments are smart enough to keep torture under wraps.  In America, it's hard to keep anything secret (which is a good thing in some ways).

Mr. Cheney knows our government kept it under wraps too and that's the way he and his cronies liked it! 

Jesse Ventura declared given an hour with Dick Cheney and a wet rag, he'd have Cheney confessing to "the Sharon Tate murders."* 
I found that image rather satisfying!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

...and yest, I think waterboarding is bad.

* He means the Manson Family murders; actress Sharon Tate was one of their victims.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 5:44 pm

Mr. Cheney knows our government kept it under wraps too and that's the way he and his cronies liked it! 

Jesse Ventura declared given an hour with Dick Cheney and a wet rag, he'd have Cheney confessing to "the Sharon Tate murders."* 
I found that image rather satisfying!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

...and yest, I think waterboarding is bad.

* He means the Manson Family murders; actress Sharon Tate was one of their victims.

How would you react if you found out that Obama authorized other forms of torture in dealing with captured Taliban members?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 5:49 pm

How would you react if you found out that Obama authorized other forms of torture in dealing with captured Taliban members?

It's okay if Obama authorizes it.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 5:54 pm

It's okay if Obama authorizes it.

Sarcasm is a scalpel, not a bludgeon.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/09 at 6:10 pm

Sarcasm is a scalpel, not a bludgeon.  :P

Yeah, and you can use both in the interrogation room so long as Obama says it's okay!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 05/15/09 at 6:24 pm

Yeah, and you can use both in the interrogation room so long as Obama says it's okay!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Alright...  I'll admit it...  I lol'd...  :D

Subject: Re: Aggressive Interrogation Techniques? To hell with Cheney, even the UN approv

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/09 at 9:39 pm

though i agree with you (i think; it's hard to sort through all the sarcasm): the US hardly has any authority about human rights anymore. neither does the UN council, really. human rights are basically on their way out.

Yep.  That was the only non-sarcastic point I was trying to make.  Based on the present and past membership, you've gotta torture a lot of people to earn a seat on the UNHRC, and we finally stopped selling out and decided to buy in.

Check for new replies or respond here...