» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Keith Olbermann Tells Rush "F.U." On Air!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/09 at 11:30 am

You gotta see this!  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FZM-zDJggM

Cat

Subject: Re: Keith Olbermann Tells Rush "F.U." On Air!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/21/09 at 2:46 pm

Rush is only now starting to realize people think he's a asshole.  It's nice that Keith has done it on air. :)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/21/09 at 3:00 pm

@4:12 "We believe... YOU SUCK!" LMAO.

7 minutes of pure pwnage. Karma for the link.

I don't suppose I'm the only one who wants an animated bouncing Rush avatar now?

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 05/21/09 at 4:26 pm

While I often agree with Keith on certain things, I have to say that his personality reminds me way too much of Rush.

When it comes to liberals that I find more amusing and interesting to listen to, I prefer Bill Maher and Rachel Maddow (to a degree).

Maddow is a bit too idealistic at times, but her personality is a lot less grating than Keith's.

When I watch Keith, I often feel like...  "Hey man, I agree with you, but try a different technique."  Sometimes, Keith is funny, but a lot of the time, he's just too...  pretentious.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/09 at 5:54 pm

Rush is going to grow old very rich, very crazy, and very alone.  He's going to turn into Howard Hughes!
::)

Written By: Zeb on 05/21/09 at 8:29 pm

Rush is going to grow old very rich, very crazy, and very alone.  He's going to turn into Howard Hughes!

Max, I'd appreciate that you not compare one of my heroin's love interests to Rush.  Howard Hughes was a visionary for crying out loud.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/21/09 at 8:33 pm

Max, I'd appreciate that you not compare one of my heroin's love interests to Rush.  Howard Hughes was a visionary for crying out loud.

Rush is into oxycontin, not heroin.  j/k  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/21/09 at 8:36 pm

Howard Hughs also wasn't that political and was afraid of everyone's germs.  Rush is only afraid of the ora of people who think.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/21/09 at 8:40 pm

Howard Hughes gave a crapload of money to science.  Hence, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Written By: Jessica on 05/21/09 at 8:47 pm

Rush is into oxycontin, not heroin.  j/k  ;)

You beat me to it, dammit. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/09 at 9:07 pm

Well, then Rush is the Spruce Goose -- big pile of junk, hasn't gotten it up in sixty years...
:P

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/22/09 at 9:20 am

While I often agree with Keith on certain things, I have to say that his personality reminds me way too much of Rush.

When it comes to liberals that I find more amusing and interesting to listen to, I prefer Bill Maher and Rachel Maddow (to a degree).

Maddow is a bit too idealistic at times, but her personality is a lot less grating than Keith's.

When I watch Keith, I often feel like...  "Hey man, I agree with you, but try a different technique."  Sometimes, Keith is funny, but a lot of the time, he's just too...  pretentious.

The big difference is that Keith relies on facts while Rush makes stuff up.  Bill is funnier and Rachel is probably smarter than all three put together.

Written By: Zeb on 05/22/09 at 9:35 am

Well, then Rush is the Spruce Goose -- big pile of junk, hasn't gotten it up in sixty years...

Now that's more like it :D :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/09 at 4:08 pm

Howard Hughes gave a crapload of money to science.  Hence, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

So has Rush.  I mean, you figure in the amount of OxyContin he's bought and the percentage of profits Purdue Pharma puts towards R&D....
:D

Written By: Macphisto on 05/22/09 at 4:22 pm

The big difference is that Keith relies on facts while Rush makes stuff up.  Bill is funnier and Rachel is probably smarter than all three put together.

Rush relies somewhat on facts, but yeah, he does "embellish" quite a lot.  Glenn Beck does as well.

Personally though, I think Bill Maher is the smartest of the group.  Rachel is a bit "pie-in-the-sky" at times.  Bill is more cynical realistic.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/09 at 4:34 pm

Rush relies somewhat on facts, but yeah, he does "embellish" quite a lot.  Glenn Beck does as well.

Glenn Beck makes up his own reality and the "facts" therein. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 05/22/09 at 5:09 pm

Glenn Beck makes up his own reality and the "facts" therein. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Too often, this is true.  There was a time when I kind of liked Beck.  He started out as a Libertarian-leaning conservative, so I had a few things in common with him.

Over time though, it seems like Beck felt the pressure to become more controversial.  In the talk radio world, what sells best seems to involve being relentlessly contrarian.

Now, obviously, I have a taste for contrarianism as well, but I usually try to keep it factual and logical.  Beck seems to have crossed over into Rush Limbaugh territory.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/09 at 11:55 pm

Too often, this is true.  There was a time when I kind of liked Beck.  He started out as a Libertarian-leaning conservative, so I had a few things in common with him.

Over time though, it seems like Beck felt the pressure to become more controversial.  In the talk radio world, what sells best seems to involve being relentlessly contrarian.

Now, obviously, I have a taste for contrarianism as well, but I usually try to keep it factual and logical.  Beck seems to have crossed over into Rush Limbaugh territory.

Oh, I think Beck is quite amusing 'cos he's nucking futs, like Mike Savage; he's not as angry as Savage, but you get much angrier than Savage and your head explodes!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent4.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 05/23/09 at 5:31 am

LOL  ;D  Good one

Written By: Samwise on 05/24/09 at 11:03 am

I totally agree with you. There have been times when I've loved the things Olbermann had to say - this epic speech on gay marriage, for one - but most of the time when I watch him, I just think, "Dude... stop being all snarky and mean. You're just making yourself look like a jackass."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/09 at 12:13 am

I totally agree with you. There have been times when I've loved the things Olbermann had to say - this epic speech on gay marriage, for one - but most of the time when I watch him, I just think, "Dude... stop being all snarky and mean. You're just making yourself look like a jackass."

You think Olbermann's bad, you should hear Bill Mahar.  He thinks 80% of the American population are morons, and has no qualms about saying so!

Written By: Macphisto on 05/25/09 at 10:54 am

You think Olbermann's bad, you should hear Bill Mahar.  He thinks 80% of the American population are morons, and has no qualms about saying so!

Yeah, but Bill's funny when he says it.  ;)  (not to mention, it's true)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/25/09 at 11:01 am

Yeah, but Bill's funny when he says it.  ;)   (not to mention, it's true)

I prefer Colbert.  At least he's funny and so convincing he's got some Republicans thinking they're up to no good.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/25/09 at 11:03 am

I prefer Colbert.  At least he's funny and so convincing he's got some Republicans thinking they're up to no good.

I love Colbert too.  And Jon Stewart.

Still, I think my affinity for Maher is his willingness to say something regardless of how politically incorrect it might be.  He also attacks religion a lot, which you rarely see on TV.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/09 at 10:57 pm

I love Colbert too.  And Jon Stewart.

Still, I think my affinity for Maher is his willingness to say something regardless of how politically incorrect it might be.  He also attacks religion a lot, which you rarely see on TV.

I agree with you there. 

Rush Limbaugh once said, In this country 95% of the people are in the wagon and 5% of the people are pushing."  Rather elitist, no?  Anyway, he never seemed to have trouble finding the pushers!

Written By: Samwise on 05/25/09 at 11:45 pm

He's on HBO or something now, right? I only get basic cable. But I did see ads for his movie Religulous. That annoyed me. I'm so sick of smug atheists insulting other people's deeply-held beliefs just to make themselves look smart, especially since they all seem to equate the fundamentalist strains of Abrahamic religions with spirituality in general. And I say that as an atheist. So I haven't seen much of Bill Maher, but what I have seen, I haven't liked.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/26/09 at 12:12 pm

I love you, Keith...................

You rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/26/09 at 5:01 pm

He's on HBO or something now, right? I only get basic cable. But I did see ads for his movie Religulous. That annoyed me. I'm so sick of smug atheists insulting other people's deeply-held beliefs just to make themselves look smart, especially since they all seem to equate the fundamentalist strains of Abrahamic religions with spirituality in general. And I say that as an atheist. So I haven't seen much of Bill Maher, but what I have seen, I haven't liked.

Religulous was kind of like a Michael Moore movie.  You don't really watch it for facts -- it's more for amusement.

Granted, my taste for mocking religion is mostly the result of living in the middle of the Bible Belt.  If I wasn't surrounded by fundamentalists, I'd probably be less annoyed by religion in general.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/09 at 8:06 pm

Religulous was kind of like a Michael Moore movie.  You don't really watch it for facts -- it's more for amusement.

Granted, my taste for mocking religion is mostly the result of living in the middle of the Bible Belt.  If I wasn't surrounded by fundamentalists, I'd probably be less annoyed by religion in general.

Religulous was utterly forgettable.  I don't think Bill Mahar was ready to make a movie in spite of how funny his TV show is.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/26/09 at 8:15 pm

Religulous was utterly forgettable.  I don't think Bill Mahar was ready to make a movie in spite of how funny his TV show is.

I beg to differ.  I thought it was great.  The ending was a bit preachy, but aside from that, he did a great job making fun of various groups.

I saw it as kind of like Borat meets religion.  The part where he tricked the pothead into believing his hair was on fire was awesome.  lol

Written By: Samwise on 05/27/09 at 7:39 am

Yeah, I'll grant you that. I'm very annoyed by fundamentalists (maybe "annoyed" isn't the right word... more like "disgusted and pull-my-hair-out enraged"), but I've met a lot of religious people who aren't like that at all - enough to also be annoyed by the people who try to claim that all religious people are just like the fundamentalists. Fundies always claim they're the ones that get their religion right and everyone else is just a heretic, but of course they'd say that - they're fundies. There's no reason for those of us on the outside to believe them.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/27/09 at 10:56 pm

Good point.  I roomed with one of the few non-hypocritical fundamentalists for a year or two in college.  He was a nice guy and we're still friends.  We just don't talk about religion.

Written By: Samwise on 05/28/09 at 7:28 am

Good point.  I roomed with one of the few non-hypocritical fundamentalists for a year or two in college.  He was a nice guy and we're still friends.  We just don't talk about religion.

Yeah, people always say you shouldn't talk about politics or religion. I've learned that the hard way. :P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/28/09 at 12:28 pm

At the end of the day, all of the talking heads get on my nerves.  Glen Beck is a lunatic.  Rush Limbaugh is a jackass.  I agree with most of what Bill Maher has to say, but he is just such a dick sometimes that I'm embarassed to agree with him.  I like Olberman, but agree with others that he has a tendency to be pretty smug.  (Even though like Samwise, I LOVED his gay marriage speech!)  Everyone has an agenda, and they're all trying to push it on the rest of us.  I get tired of all of them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/09 at 1:12 pm

I find Keith & Rachel to be entertaining. I do like Bill Maher but we don't get HBO so I don't get to see his show much.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/09 at 6:26 pm

I find Keith & Rachel to be entertaining. I do like Bill Maher but we don't get HBO so I don't get to see his show much.

Cat

Same here.  No HBO.  I squander too much of my time with TV as it is, with HBO I'd be paying to squander more!

Written By: Mushroom on 05/31/09 at 12:27 pm

Actually, that was his attempt at a tax dodge.

The idea was that all the profits from his corporations would be donated to the Institute.  And since that was a Non-Profit Organization, there would be no taxes.

From Wikipedia:

Initially, the institute was formed with the stated goal of basic research including trying to understand, in Hughes' words, "genesis of life itself." Despite its lofty principles, in the early days it was generally viewed as largely a tax haven for Hughes' huge personal fortune. Hughes was the sole trustee of HHMI and transferred all his stock of Hughes Aircraft to the institute, in effect turning the large defense contractor into a tax-exempt charity.

But it did not work, and he was fined heavily when he tried it.

And the budget remained modest until after Howard's death.  It only grew to what it is today since he died and it was taken over by others.

Of course, Howard's corporation is gone now.  A victim of corporate raiding.  All that remains of the mighty "Hughes Aerospace" is a shell segment of AC Delco, and a shell in name only of DirecTV.  Largely gone by 1996, the final axe fell in 2001 when Boeing Sattelite was sold to Boeing.

Check for new replies or respond here...