» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Give This Man A Hand...

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/24/09 at 6:01 pm

Man helps suicide jumper by giving him a push:

http://www.rr.com/news/news/article/6818193/7831620/Passer-by_pushes_suicide_jumper_in_south_China/1

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Give This Man A Hand...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/24/09 at 6:03 pm

Jess told me about this yesterday, I laughed ;D

Written By: philbo on 05/24/09 at 6:09 pm

Is that what they mean by youth-in-Asia?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/09 at 6:13 pm

Man, those Chinese are cold.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/24/09 at 6:23 pm

Man, those Chinese are cold.

Sorry :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/09 at 6:52 pm

Sorry :(

I'll make sure to stay off the bridges in Hyde Park.  ;)

;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/09 at 7:08 pm

In China it is considered selfish to think of yourself instead of before your community/commune.  It's part of the Communist China mentality.  However pushing the guy off was mean and depleted the the country of one worker. :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/24/09 at 7:24 pm

In China it is considered selfish to think of yourself instead of before your community/commune.  It's part of the Communist China mentality.  However pushing the guy off was mean and depleted the the country of one worker. :-\\

That is true.  But there was a safety net or something at the bottom so the dude didn't die, which is why I thought it was hilarious rather than tragic :D

I'm terrible :(

Written By: Red Ant on 05/24/09 at 8:12 pm

Reminds me of this one (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOqpoie1iuc

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 05/24/09 at 9:25 pm

I frequently get calls from suicidal people....I get paid to help them so I do but to be honest....it would save a lot of time, energy and money if they would just do it instead of threatening too....  ::)

yeah I said it!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/24/09 at 9:49 pm

I'm not sure I'd have the strength to help someone if I could, or even if they would try to ask me for help.  I think we owe it to ourselves to help (if we can.)  Maybe I'm just naive, I don't know. 

Has anyone seen the documentary "the jumper" from 2004?  It's about the 24 people that over a couple month time span, ended their lives by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  Some guy set up a camera, 24/7 on a certain spot on the bridge and just filmed.
Then he interviewed the surviving family members and friends of the deceased.  It's available on youtube.  It's very powerful.

Written By: snozberries on 05/24/09 at 10:34 pm

I'm not sure I'd have the strength to help someone if I could, or even if they would try to ask me for help.  I think we owe it to ourselves to help (if we can.)  Maybe I'm just naive, I don't know. 

Has anyone seen the documentary "the jumper" from 2004?  It's about the 24 people that over a couple month time span, ended their lives by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  Some guy set up a camera, 24/7 on a certain spot on the bridge and just filmed.
Then he interviewed the surviving family members and friends of the deceased.  It's available on youtube.  It's very powerful.

Suicide is selfish... asking someone to help you commit suicide is asking them to commit murder... you die you get out of it... the other person has to live with the guilt...

for the record the only form of Suicide I truly abdicate is medically assisted suicide for persons who are terminally ill and have come to terrms with their lives ending...

For the record patty... two nights ago I got a call from a 8 panicked people... they each got a text message from a friend who said he could go on and wanted to tell them good bye... I had officers searching for the guy for an hour... we didn't know where he was but but we checked everywhere we could... finally found him hanging on the side of a cliff...he didn't have the courage to jump so he climbed over the side... the fall would not have been enough to kill him... he would have been injured but survived the call.... in the 2 hours it took to deal with his hissy fit... he just wanted to know people cared enough to save him...

I had 6 officers, two ambulances and a fire engine out of service...unavailable to the general public because the kid cant deal with being in college...  ::)

Yeah I was pissed....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/09 at 10:54 pm

That is true.  But there was a safety net or something at the bottom so the dude didn't die, which is why I thought it was hilarious rather than tragic :D

I'm terrible :(

Didn't he break a bone or two landing?  So if there was a safety net why did the dude call him selfish and push him off?  If he knew something was going to catch him it seems pointless to push him off.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/24/09 at 11:04 pm

Didn't he break a bone or two landing?  So if there was a safety net why did the dude call him selfish and push him off?  If he knew something was going to catch him it seems pointless to push him off.

I guess they got it over with... *shrug*

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/09 at 11:07 pm

I frequently get calls from suicidal people....I get paid to help them so I do but to be honest....it would save a lot of time, energy and money if they would just do it instead of threatening too....   ::)

yeah I said it!

I did try to kill myself back when I was 15 and almost succeeded.  It wasn't a threat I overdosed and my Dad drove me to the hospital because he didn't think the ambulance would come in time.  I will agree that suicide is selfish.  I remember going in and out of consciousness while having my stomach pumped and seeing not my Dad but my best friend.  He was crying and he said "I love you buddy, don't leave me".  I realized how much I would hurt him if I had succeeded.   That was one hell of a wake up call.  

Written By: Dagwood on 05/24/09 at 11:07 pm

Jess told me about this yesterday, I laughed ;D

I laughed, too.  You can't be indecisive for too long...someone else will make the decision for you.

Written By: snozberries on 05/24/09 at 11:11 pm

I did try to kill myself back when I was 15 and almost succeeded.  It wasn't a threat I overdosed and my Dad drove me to the hospital because he didn't think the ambulance would come in time.  I will agree that suicide is selfish.  I remember going in and out of consciousness while having my stomach pumped and seeing not my Dad but my best friend.  He was crying and he said "I love you buddy, don't leave me".  I realized how much I would hurt him if I had succeeded.   That was one hell of a wake up call.  

Its seems in the moment that there is no other option but if you come out the otherside you see how wrong you were....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/09 at 11:17 pm

Its seems in the moment that there is no other option but if you come out the otherside you see how wrong you were....

If people could only realize at that time that perhaps they should live for other people.  Personally very few thing in my life have been more gut wrenching than seeing him cry.  Suicide may take away a person's pain but how many can comprehend that death is final and you're leaving one heck of a mess behind you for others to clean up.

Written By: snozberries on 05/24/09 at 11:26 pm

If people could only realize at that time that perhaps they should live for other people.  Personally very few thing in my life have been more gut wrenching than seeing him cry.  Suicide may take away a person's pain but how many can comprehend that death is final and you're leaving one heck of a mess behind you for others to clean up.

exactly...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/09 at 12:02 am

I'm sure glad you're still here!

One of the few things that kept me going in some dark hours was the disruption and grief I'd leave behind;  I convinced myself I didn't have the right to inflict such pain on others regardless of how much I wanted to go. 

I had my eye on a high bridge at one point.  It was 50 feet down into a rocky creek bed, but there was high traffic on that road and I didn't want to get cold feet at the last minute.  Was I certain I could leap as soon as I stepped over the the railing?  You can't be sure until you're on the ledge...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/25/09 at 10:58 am

One of the few things that kept me going in some dark hours was the disruption and grief I'd leave behind;  I convinced myself I didn't have the right to inflict such pain on others regardless of how much I wanted to go. 

I had my eye on a high bridge at one point.  It was 50 feet down into a rocky creek bed, but there was high traffic on that road and I didn't want to get cold feet at the last minute.  Was I certain I could leap as soon as I stepped over the the railing?  You can't be sure until you're on the ledge...

Thank you.

Yeah, most people think that others lives would not change if they died, or they say they'd be better off without me.  Your reasoning is very unusual for someone who gets in that state.  I think a lot of people have suicidal ideologies from time to time.  It's the ones who can't shake it and keep going back to that ledge that concerns me. 

BTW, I'm glad you're still here too. :)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/25/09 at 10:58 am

Just a side note here, but if you're going to kill yourself, make sure it's a fall of more than 50 feet.  There's a good chance you'd survive that fall, but you'd probably wish you were dead.

Obviously, I'm not condoning suicide, but there are plenty of fates worse than death (like being bedridden and totally paralyzed).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/09 at 11:02 pm

Just a side note here, but if you're going to kill yourself, make sure it's a fall of more than 50 feet.  There's a good chance you'd survive that fall, but you'd probably wish you were dead.

Obviously, I'm not condoning suicide, but there are plenty of fates worse than death (like being bedridden and totally paralyzed).

I figured if I hat the rock from 50 feet up, that would be it, but I might totally f**k myself up, in which case I'd have to roll my Steven Hawking wheelchair off the Grand Canyon or something.
::)

Written By: philbo on 05/26/09 at 5:36 am

Sigh..

Nobody seemed to notice my "youth in Asia"/"euthanasia" pun..  and I was so pleased with it at the time ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/09 at 9:07 pm

Sigh..

Nobody seemed to notice my "youth in Asia"/"euthanasia" pun..  and I was so pleased with it at the time ;)

Yeah, that was one my gramps' favorites too.
;)

Written By: philbo on 05/27/09 at 6:35 am

Thanks, Max... make me feel really young & trendy :)

Written By: SoulAsylum on 05/27/09 at 7:55 am

I think Suicide is selfish too, but to just tell someone that it's selfish and make them feel guilty and bad about themselves because they want to commit it, is just as selfish as the act itself.    People who contemplate suicide most of the time have a good reason why they want to kill themselves.  Sometimes peoples lives are so helpless that they can't see a way out.  Instead of helping them by being a friend to them, we instead say to them in a very apathetic tone, "Get over it" and "Suicide is selfish".

What's wrong with our society that we have created this world where everyone has to prove how tough they are?  Everyone has to be a bada$$ who doesn't have feelings or show emotions.  Why?  Why does it have to be that way?  Whatever happened to altruism?  Whatever happened to people caring about one another and empathetic attitudes?

Yeah, suicide maybe selfish but not taking into consideration why someone wants to kill themselves and seriously trying to help them, isn't any better.  However, most people don't know how bad it is to live at the bottom, when they're looking down from the top. 

Check for new replies or respond here...