» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama compromises on Memorial Day

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/25/09 at 3:21 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090525/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_memorial_day

I did not realize that the Confederacy had a monument but it does make sense...

Subject: Re: Obama compromises on Memorial Day

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/09 at 3:26 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090525/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_memorial_day

I did not realize that the Confederacy had a monument but it does make sense...

Seems sort of odd.  Why lay a wreath at the Confederacy memorial?  And I am a white Northerner, I'd never do that.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/25/09 at 3:33 pm

Maybe he's pandering to the Super Deep South voters...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/09 at 6:09 pm

Maybe he's pandering to the Super Deep South voters...

Not sure that will work.  Not with the "Deep" South...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/25/09 at 6:15 pm

You can't put anything past a politician :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/25/09 at 7:32 pm

Seems sort of odd.  Why lay a wreath at the Confederacy memorial?  And I am a white Northerner, I'd never do that.

The history of the Confederacy is still a part of U.S. history whether it be P.C. or not to admit it.  I too am a white northerner and I would.  Knowing that many Confederate dead did not own slaves nor did they fight in the name of slavery.  Perhaps it's just the Civil War buff in me that is willing to honor all those dirt poor farmers from south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/25/09 at 7:50 pm

Considering it's been done for a long time now, it's really not that odd.

What would've been odd is submitting to the requests of the petitioners -- people who clearly don't realize the war was about economics, not slavery.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/09 at 7:55 pm

The history of the Confederacy is still a part of U.S. history whether it be P.C. or not to admit it.  I too am a white northerner and I would.  Knowing that many Confederate dead did not own slaves nor did they fight in the name of slavery.  Perhaps it's just the Civil War buff in me that is willing to honor all those dirt poor farmers from south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Oh, my policy of not laying a wreath at the Confederate memorial is not all based on the slavery angle.  Sure, the war did not start because of slavery.

Nevertheless the Confederacy was an enemy of the United States of America.  Why would I want to memorialize them, slavery issue or not?

It's kinda like Benjamin Netenyahu laying a wreath at the SS memorial.  Sure, WW2 was not ignited because of the Holocaust...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/25/09 at 8:03 pm

Oh, my policy of not laying a wreath at the Confederate memorial is not all based on the slavery angle.  Sure, the war did not start because of slavery.

Nevertheless the Confederacy was an enemy of the United States of America.  Why would I want to memorialize them, slavery issue or not?

It's kinda like Benjamin Netenyahu laying a wreath at the SS memorial.  Sure, WW2 was not ignited because of the Holocaust...

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who wanted the north to consider the south and it's population Americans after Lee's surrender to Grant.  As I recall soldiers and politicians involved in the Confederacy had to take an oath of allegiance to the U.S.  Which brought them back to the U.S.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/25/09 at 8:05 pm

Many Native American tribes were as well, yet we give them reservations.

Life isn't as simple as "us and them."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/09 at 10:54 pm

Most of those Confederate soldiers were poor rednecks who got rooked into it.  They deserve a wreath too.
:(

Written By: Samwise on 05/25/09 at 11:58 pm

This was something that needed to be done, but only a black president could ever do it. It's a very powerful statement of unity, and I salute Obama for making it. I hope it does a little bit to diffuse the resentments that remain between north and south.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/26/09 at 12:08 am

This was something that needed to be done, but only a black president could ever do it. It's a very powerful statement of unity, and I salute Obama for making it. I hope it does a little bit to diffuse the resentments that remain between north and south.

I will agree to this statement, I thought there was something noble in this action today...

Check for new replies or respond here...