» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Fairfax High School crowns openly gay male student prom queen

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/29/09 at 5:03 pm

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-gay-prom-queen,0,5858145.story

LOS ANGELES -- An openly gay teen is the new prom queen at Fairfax High School.

Sergio Garcia, 18, was crowned queen Saturday night at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.

"I feel invincible," Garcia said wearing his rhinestone studded tiara.

A few days earlier, he gave a speech that touched a nerve with students: "At one time, prom may have been a big popularity contest where the best-looking guy or girl were crowned king and queen. Things have changed and it's no longer just about who has the most friends or who wears the coolest clothes," Garcia told a gymnasium full of seniors.

"I'm not your typical prom queen candidate. There's more to me than meets the eye."

Garcia assured the crowd he wouldn't wear a dress on prom night.

"I will be wearing a suit," he said. "But don't be fooled, deep down I am a queen."

Garcia said he saw fliers advertising the prom and the election, and they didn't specify that the queen must be a girl. He thought the role would suit him better than prom king.

"I don't wish to be a girl," he told KTLA Jaime Chambers.. "I just wish to be myself. Being prom queen has changed my life and inspired the lives of other students, who are like me."

Senior class president Vanessa Lo said she and many other students were initially against the idea but were won over by Garcia's speech and became convinced he wasn't just an attention-seeking clown.

"It just goes to show how open-minded our class is," Lo said. Other students weren't as happy, and suggested many voted for Garcia just to see the spectacle of two boys dancing together at the prom.

"I'm not really happy about that," said 17-year-old Juan Espinoza. "He should've run for prom king."

The school, which sits at the end of the rows of chic shops on Melrose Avenue and was once attended by members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, has long been a haven for students who would be considered outcasts at many schools.

Subject: Re: Fairfax High School crowns openly gay male student prom queen

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/09 at 5:20 pm

Righteous!  You go, girl!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/09 at 5:50 pm

I just think it is pitiful when a guy looks better in a dress than I do-and there are many out there who do.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Samwise on 05/29/09 at 6:10 pm

I just think it is pitiful when a guy looks better in a dress than I do-and there are many out there who do.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

First of all, he's not wearing a dress. Second of all, I'm sure that's not true!

This kid is really brave and I'm happy for him. :) Kudos to his school for being so open-minded! (And for producing the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Man, I wish I could have gone to this school...)

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/29/09 at 7:03 pm

:)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/09 at 8:03 pm

I have these two coworkers.  One of them is a nice gal, the other one is a doofus.

Anyway, when the nice gal got married, the doofus made a remark "I cannot believe that your mother wore a pant suit to her daughter's wedding".

To which the nice gal retorted immediately "Well at least my father didn't wear a dress to my wedding".

(Father of Miss Doofus is a known down-low cross dresser in our county)

;D

Written By: Red Ant on 05/29/09 at 9:05 pm

Lame.  ::)

"I'm not your typical prom queen candidate."

No sheesh. Probably because you don't have breasts, a vagina, or XX chromosomes.

"There's more to me than meets the eye."

Hermy?

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 05/29/09 at 10:12 pm

He looks a bit like Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/29/09 at 11:14 pm

Who cares as long as the tiara fits. :)

Written By: SoulAsylum on 05/29/09 at 11:30 pm

This is awesome.  A step towads the right direction of acceptance.  I doubt the whole world will ever move into it, but it's always nice to see a story like this.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/09 at 12:39 am

I agree, if the fiara ti...uh, if the tiara fits!
:P

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/09 at 6:47 am

This is awesome.  A step towads the right direction of acceptance.  I doubt the whole world will ever move into it, but it's always nice to see a story like this.

Actually I doubt this was an effort of "acceptance" by the student body, but more one of an "up yours".  This guy plays the role of a "queen" every day, so electing him was not far out of the stereotype.

An "acceptance"  would have been electing a butch-type girl lesbian to the queen position.

By the way, I never understood what being a homosexual guy ever had to do with dressing up with glitter and makeup and wearing dresses.  I kinda think that has more to do with exhibitionism than gayness.  I mean, perhaps being attracted to other men is biological, etc... but wearing a feather boa is a learned activity.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/09 at 12:02 pm

First of all, he's not wearing a dress. Second of all, I'm sure that's not true!

This kid is really brave and I'm happy for him. :) Kudos to his school for being so open-minded! (And for producing the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Man, I wish I could have gone to this school...)

It is true that many guys look better in the dress than I do.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

As for this kid, as Reynolds stated:

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/09 at 12:56 pm

Actually I doubt this was an effort of "acceptance" by the student body, but more one of an "up yours".  This guy plays the role of a "queen" every day, so electing home was not far out of the stereotype.

An "acceptance"  would have been electing a butch-type girl lesbian to the queen position.

By the way, I never understood what being a homosexual guy ever had to do with dressing up with glitter and makeup and wearing dresses.  I kinda think that has more to do with exhibitionism than gayness.  I mean, perhaps being attracted to other men is biological, etc... but wearing a feather boa is a learned activity.

True on the stereotype, and it is a stereotype anti-gay bigots like to use for their own propaganda. 

Written By: McDonald on 05/30/09 at 5:01 pm

Actually I doubt this was an effort of "acceptance" by the student body, but more one of an "up yours".  This guy plays the role of a "queen" every day, so electing him was not far out of the stereotype.

I agree. This is a shameful charade. Just because you're a homosexual, doesn't mean you have to cut your own balls off in front of the whole world. I feel sorry for any number of actual girls who deserved the position more than this flamboyant showboat. Maybe an unpopular girl who was really nice and smart could have had the spot. Now that would have been a step in the right direction. 

This has nothing to do with acceptance. This is actually degrading to same-sex attracted men because it implies that they are not really men, but some sort of half men, half women... 'queens'.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/30/09 at 6:09 pm

I agree. This is a shameful charade. Just because you're a homosexual, doesn't mean you have to cut your own balls off in front of the whole world. I feel sorry for any number of actual girls who deserved the position more than this flamboyant showboat. Maybe an unpopular girl who was really nice and smart could have had the spot. Now that would have been a step in the right direction. 

This has nothing to do with acceptance. This is actually degrading to same-sex attracted men because it implies that they are not really men, but some sort of half men, half women... 'queens'.

Your last statement is an example of intolerance towards anyone even slightly transgendered in the GLBTQ community.  It reeks of Village People mentality. 8-P

Written By: Macphisto on 05/30/09 at 6:13 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's degrading, but yeah, this kid definitely plays up the stereotype.

Some people are attention whores, but then again, what else is the position of "homecoming queen?"  Even if a prissy girl won the position, it doesn't change the fact that these sorts of competitions are just popularity contests.  To aspire to the position is an act of self-aggrandizement.

Now, I'm not saying we should abolish this practice, but we really shouldn't give the position more credit than it deserves.  The same goes for beauty pageants.  They're just contests to see who can get the most attention for a superficial trait.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/30/09 at 6:16 pm

Your last statement is an example of intolerance towards anyone even slightly transgendered in the GLBTQ community.  It reeks of Village People mentality. 8-P

I'm all for gay rights, but the transgendered lifestyle is often one that goes hand in hand with attention-seeking behavior.  The same could be said of many "normal" people.

I can't speak for McDonald, but my concept of equality is applying the same scrutiny to everyone.  If someone does something for what appears to solely be attention, then I'm going to criticize them for it, regardless of their sexuality.

I say this because I know plenty of homosexuals that don't go out of their way to get attention.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/30/09 at 7:11 pm

I'm all for gay rights, but the transgendered lifestyle is often one that goes hand in hand with attention-seeking behavior.  The same could be said of many "normal" people.

I can't speak for McDonald, but my concept of equality is applying the same scrutiny to everyone.  If someone does something for what appears to solely be attention, then I'm going to criticize them for it, regardless of their sexuality.

I say this because I know plenty of homosexuals that don't go out of their way to get attention.

Actually most transgendered people just want to be left alone and aren't seeking attention.  Being since they are highly aware that they are readily discriminated against and sometimes killed being "attention seeking" is counter productive.  The Prom Queen may be attention seeking but I think it's more a wacky teen issue than a sexuality issue.

Written By: Jessica on 05/30/09 at 7:12 pm

I'm sorry, are we all watching the same video and reading the same story?  I don't see anything "attention seeking" about him.  He just seems like a normal gay guy who did something that felt "right" to him.  His reasons for what he did seemed pretty solid to me, and he sounded very intelligent about it all.

We've already has lesbian and transgender Prom Kings, so why the effin' hell is everyone jumping all over this guy for running for Prom Queen and winning?  Seems kind of stupid to me.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/30/09 at 7:16 pm

I'm sorry, are we all watching the same video and reading the same story?  I don't see anything "attention seeking" about him.  He just seems like a normal gay guy who did something that felt "right" to him.  His reasons for what he did seemed pretty solid to me, and he sounded very intelligent about it all.

We've already has lesbian and transgender Prom Kings, so why the effin' hell is everyone jumping all over this guy for running for Prom Queen and winning?  Seems kind of stupid to me.

Intelligent and willing to go against the grain. :)  I just love how it's a supposed black and white issue. ::)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/30/09 at 7:25 pm

Actually most transgendered people just want to be left alone and aren't seeking attention.  Being since they are highly aware that they are readily discriminated against and sometimes killed being "attention seeking" is counter productive.  The Prom Queen may be attention seeking but I think it's more a wacky teen issue than a sexuality issue.

But if the goal is avoiding attention, dressing like the opposite sex is counterproductive as well.

I'm not jumping on him, but I am suggesting that this isn't something to be celebratory of either.  What I'm suggesting is that it isn't newsworthy.

...and for the record, if you're running for Prom Queen, you're essentially doing it so guys will be jumping on you.  (sorry, I had to...  ;)  )

Written By: Jessica on 05/30/09 at 7:27 pm

I'm not jumping on him, but I am suggesting that this isn't something to be celebratory of either.  What I'm suggesting is that it isn't newsworthy.

So blame the media, not him.  Unless someone can prove otherwise, I find it highly unlikely that this kid called the papers himself and told them about it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/30/09 at 7:29 pm

But if the goal is avoiding attention, dressing like the opposite sex is counterproductive as well.

People who have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria the goal is to pass and to not draw attention.  Give someone enough hormones it can be hard to tell.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/30/09 at 7:31 pm

So blame the media, not him.  Unless someone can prove otherwise, I find it highly unlikely that this kid called the papers himself and told them about it.

True...  but again, it's not a blame game.  I'm just saying it's about attention.  You may not want the media to pay attention to you, but you're doing for your classmates to.

People who have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria the goal is to pass and to not draw attention.  Give someone enough hormones it can be hard to tell.

This is true.  But there are others who are attention-seeking types.  I'm not saying that all transgendered people are the same.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/30/09 at 7:32 pm

True...  but again, it's not a blame game.  I'm just saying it's about attention.  You may not want the media to pay attention to you, but you're doing for your classmates to.

This is true.  But there are others who are attention-seeking types.  I'm not saying that all transgendered people are the same.

Thank you, we're on the same page. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/09 at 9:23 am

I think I know that the G, L, B, and T stand for.  What's the Q stand for?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/31/09 at 11:19 am

Q = "queer" I think.  It's kind of a strange word to be describing homosexual people, almost self-deprecating.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/09 at 11:32 am

Q = "queer" I think.  It's kind of a strange word to be describing homosexual people, almost self-deprecating.

How is "queer" a separate subtype from "gay" or "lesbian."  What about the hermaphrodites?  Shouldn't it be the GLBTQH? 

UMass has ALANA, that is students of African-American, Latin, Asian, and Native American descent (ie. non-white).  Shouldn't it be two A's for African-American? AALANA....

How much alphabet soup can you ladle into your identity politics?
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/09 at 12:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hxCpAdCJI&feature=related

Cat

Written By: limblifter on 05/31/09 at 2:10 pm

I wouldn't be too impressed if I were voted king and they expected me to pose for pictures with a gay prom queen. And forget about having the first dance.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/09 at 2:36 pm

I wouldn't be too impressed if I were voted king and they expected me to pose for pictures with a gay prom queen. And forget about having the first dance.

Well of course that is what the "queen" wanted.  Managed (along with those who voted for him) to spoil it for whoever was voted King.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/31/09 at 3:37 pm

How is "queer" a separate subtype from "gay" or "lesbian."  What about the hermaphrodites?  Shouldn't it be the GLBTQH? 

UMass has ALANA, that is students of African-American, Latin, Asian, and Native American descent (ie. non-white).  Shouldn't it be two A's for African-American? AALANA....

How much alphabet soup can you ladle into your identity politics?
:D

Some people figure if they're going to be called queer they mine as well own it . . . I guess.  Give it a few year they'll be an H and an "I" for intersexed.

College campuses are filled with that stuff.  It takes almost a semester to get it all straight.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/31/09 at 3:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hxCpAdCJI&feature=related

Cat

Julie Brown is great.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/09 at 4:35 pm

I never understood the whole "L" thing anyway. If you are a G why do you need to be called an L?

Don't they this need a special letter for male G's ?  ???

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/31/09 at 5:49 pm

I never understood the whole "L" thing anyway. If you are a G why do you need to be called an L?

Don't they this need a special letter for male G's ?  ???

It's pretty normal to call a lesbian a gay.  Ever tried calling a gay guy a lesbian?  Lesbian has a feminist quality. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/09 at 7:33 pm

It's pretty normal to call a lesbian a gay.  Ever tried calling a gay guy a lesbian?  Lesbian has a feminist quality. 

Nevertheless it seems a bit redundant to say "Gay and Lesbian".

Reminds me of the scene in The Blues Brothers where the lady says "We play both types of music here.  Country AND Western".  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/09 at 12:46 am

Some people figure if they're going to be called queer they mine as well own it . . . I guess.  Give it a few year they'll be an H and an "I" for intersexed.

College campuses are filled with that stuff.  It takes almost a semester to get it all straight.

Heh heh, "straight," snort, guffaw!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tongue3.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/01/09 at 1:04 am

Heh heh, "straight," snort, guffaw!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tongue3.gif

I was waiting for someone to catch that. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...