» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Air France Plane Crash... Coverup?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/06/09 at 9:30 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090606/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/brazil_plane

Every time I read a news article about the crash, there are always a couple of French guys who express pessimism of finding any debris or why the plane went down.

The more I hear these comments, the more I think that somebody does NOT want to find the debris and the cause.

Call me crazy but something sounds fishy here.  :-\\

Subject: Re: The Air France Plane Crash... Coverup?

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/06/09 at 9:54 am

Actually I read that they did find some debris.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/06/09 at 10:03 am

Actually I read that they did find some debris.

Did it say if they found any survivors? ???

Written By: anabel on 06/06/09 at 10:16 am

^  Unfortunately, no.  :-[  This article explains further....

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/06/06/2009060600296.html

I know there's a 12 hour difference between us and South Korea, but is it really already tomorrow? The article is dated June 7th, so I assume that's the very latest.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/09 at 3:55 pm

I heard that they have found the bodies of two males.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/06/09 at 7:22 pm

I heard that they have found the bodies of two males.

I heard that as well.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090604/Brazil.Plane/

2 bodies, ticket found near Air France crash site
By MARCO SIBAJA and EMMA VANDORE, AP

RECIFE, Brazil — Searchers found two bodies and the first confirmed debris — a briefcase containing an Air France Flight 447 ticket — in the Atlantic Ocean near where the jetliner is believed to have crashed, a Brazil military official said Saturday.

The French agency investigating the disaster, meanwhile, said airspeed instruments were not replaced as the maker recommended before the plane disappeared in turbulent weather nearly a week ago during a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris with 228 people aboard.

All were killed, the world's worst commercial air accident since 2001, and Air France's deadliest plane crash.

The bodies of two male passengers were recovered Saturday morning about 70 kilometers (45 miles) south of where Air France Flight 447 emitted its last signals — roughly 400 miles (640 kilometers) northeast of the Fernando de Noronha islands off Brazil's northern coast.

Brazilian air force spokesman Col. Jorge Amaral said an Air France ticket was found inside a leather briefcase.

"It was confirmed with Air France that the ticket number corresponds to a passenger on the flight," he said.

Admiral Edison Lawrence said the bodies were being transported to the Fernando de Noronha islands for identification. A backpack with a laptop and a vaccination card also was recovered.

Written By: anabel on 06/06/09 at 9:29 pm

Well good, I hadn't seen that-thanks for posting the article,Dagnabbit! (I like that name, I guess it was given to you by the PB  ;) )  At least this might start offering some closure to all those families.  They may not all be found, but at least it's a start. Did you know they were saying that the depth of the water in that area ranges anywhere from 100 feet all the way to 20,000 feet in some areas? I hope they find the black box and flight data recorder at least, to get more answers.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/06/09 at 10:03 pm

(I like that name, I guess it was given to you by the PB  ;) )

Yup...but the credit needs to go to Snoz..she gave the PB the idea. ;D

I hope they can find the recorder, too.  I feel so badly for the families.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/07/09 at 6:14 am

Did it say if they found any survivors? ???

The odds of survivors in any water crash are remote at best.  That is why the "Miracle in NY" a few months ago was so amazing.

For those that remember Air Florida Flight 90 in 1982, it crashed into a bridge on the Potomic River in Washington DC.

There were 79 people on board, and only 5 survivors.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/09 at 7:45 am

The odds of survivors in any water crash are remote at best.  That is why the "Miracle in NY" a few months ago was so amazing.

For those that remember Air Florida Flight 90 in 1982, it crashed into a bridge on the Potomic River in Washington DC.

And that plane was just taking off...this one was cruising at 35,000 feet.  Even less of a chance for survival especially if it broke up in air and not on impact.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/09 at 9:30 am

And that plane was just taking off...this one was cruising at 35,000 feet.  Even less of a chance for survival especially if it broke up in air and not on impact.

Well there is the case of Vesna Vulovic, who fell out of a Yugoslav DC-9 way back in 1972.  The plane was crusing at 33,000 feet and exploded (likely a bomb).

She landed on the ground and for some time was payalyzed below the waist, but later recovered and can walk.

Then there is the story of Juliane Koepke, who fell about 10,000 feet strapped to her airplane seat (the airplane to which the seat had previously been attached had broken up in a storm) and she lived to tell her story.

Written By: anabel on 06/07/09 at 7:22 pm

In 1996, there was the ValuJet 592 crash in the Everglades. That was a really sad one too.  There were 110 people onboard I think, and all died.  What was so bad about that crash was that the plane was so far from any actual roads, and the swamps were full of alligators, and all the jet fuel was making the search teams ill.  My ex was sent out as a diver in the search and rescue phase. No survivors, but what all was found was disturbing. I can't remember if whole bodies were found, but it was sad, all the families that were devastated and didn't really get closure.  There has been a memorial constructed, which I have seen, but that doesn't bring the family members back.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/09 at 8:48 pm

In 1996, there was the ValuJet 592 crash in the Everglades. That was a really sad one too.  There were 110 people onboard I think, and all died.  What was so bad about that crash was that the plane was so far from any actual roads, and the swamps were full of alligators, and all the jet fuel was making the search teams ill.   My ex was sent out as a diver in the search and rescue phase. No survivors, but what all was found was disturbing. I can't remember if whole bodies were found, but it was sad, all the families that were devastated and didn't really get closure.  There has been a memorial constructed, which I have seen, but that doesn't bring the family members back.

If I recall correctly they only recovered about 10% of the aircraft itself in the Critter 792 crash.

About 5 miles from where I live near Picksburgh, a UselessAir 737 augered itself into the ground back in 1994.  A buddy of mine was part of the search team, and he said there were all sorts of body parts strewn about and hanging from tree branches.  8-P

Written By: Mushroom on 06/07/09 at 11:14 pm

I wonder if Pierre Salinger is going around yet, claiming that the US Military shot down this jet also.

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/09 at 12:24 am

It said in the Yahoo story some families aren't giving up.  "He was a young boy, 23 years old, and he spoke eight languages...
Did he speak Sharkese?  Did he have gills?  Well, I hate to be a cynic, Mrs. Gagliano, but your boy's prolly down at the Davey Jones locker!
::)

Written By: Gis on 06/08/09 at 6:44 am

Fuselage and 15 bodies recovered now.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1190760/Pictured-Air-France-fuselage-near-Flight-447-disappeared-bodies-recovered-ocean.html

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/09/09 at 11:51 am

You know, there are already talks of lawsuits against Air France, and I just hate that.  Of course this is a horrible tragedy, and my heart really goes out to the families of the people that were killed in the crash.  It just seems like nowdays, any time something like this happens, the first thing that people do is look for a way to get money.  And that just sucks.  Accidents happen, and they are awful and painful, but it's a part of life.  Why does everyone think they need to get paid?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/09 at 10:57 pm

You know, there are already talks of lawsuits against Air France, and I just hate that.  Of course this is a horrible tragedy, and my heart really goes out to the families of the people that were killed in the crash.  It just seems like nowdays, any time something like this happens, the first thing that people do is look for a way to get money.  And that just sucks.  Accidents happen, and they are awful and painful, but it's a part of life.  Why does everyone think they need to get paid?

If the investigation turns up negligence on the part of the airline, I don't think lawsuits are vindictive.  You've got a craft with 250 souls 680 miles from the nearest land 50,000 in the air above 13,000 feet of ocean, everything about the craft MUST be perfect.  Maybe the plane was having minor mechanical problems but only a 1 in 10,000 chance of crashing into the sea...well, even that ratio is too great.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/11/09 at 1:08 pm

If the investigation turns up negligence on the part of the airline, I don't think lawsuits are vindictive.  You've got a craft with 250 souls 680 miles from the nearest land 50,000 in the air above 13,000 feet of ocean, everything about the craft MUST be perfect.  Maybe the plane was having minor mechanical problems but only a 1 in 10,000 chance of crashing into the sea...well, even that ratio is too great.

I get that, and if there is negligence involved then it's a totally different story.  But how often do people sue just out of greed these days?  That's my issue.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/11/09 at 1:39 pm

I get that, and if there is negligence involved then it's a totally different story.  But how often do people sue just out of greed these days?  That's my issue.

I agree with you there.

Filing a lawsuit after any kind of investigation is remarkably irresponsible.  That is not being punitive for negligence, that is simply trying to line your pockets.

For all we know, this was another bird strike, or some other unavoidable incident.  Wait until some basic facts come in before running to the lawyers.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/12/09 at 8:18 am

Over here they're saying the plane probably broke up still in the air. There's speculation about a speed problem but until they find the flight recorder nothing is certain.

I knew one of the passengers on that flight, loosing someone you know this way is hearbreaking it becomes really important to know exactly what happened, it's hard to mourn until you know.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/09 at 3:54 pm

I agree with you there.

Filing a lawsuit after any kind of investigation is remarkably irresponsible.  That is not being punitive for negligence, that is simply trying to line your pockets.

For all we know, this was another bird strike, or some other unavoidable incident.  Wait until some basic facts come in before running to the lawyers.

I agree too -- it is premature to file suit.  However, the courts will say the same as you, wait until some basic facts come in, then we can determine if you've got a case. 

Haven't people always been greedy?  It is one of the seven deadlies.    How many people died in the crash?  Over 250?  That comes to potentially thousands of grieving family members.  In thousands, there will be a couple of individuals who'll get litigious as a first response.

Written By: Tia on 06/12/09 at 3:55 pm

Haven't people always been greedy? nope. not people. just libs.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/09 at 4:01 pm

nope. not people. just libs.  :P

You know your Ayn Rand.  CEOs aren't greedy, people on welfare are greedy!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/12/09 at 4:22 pm

I remember that, as the news was showing video of passengers holding onto the tail section of the plane (which was the only part that stayed afloat)...and the rescuers trying to get these poor people out of the frigid water!  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...