» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why isn't your mother here sir?

Written By: Gis on 06/08/09 at 6:50 am

Good question! The Queen is the only current head of state who actually served in the second world war and yet she was not invited to the D-Day services held over the weekend. Apparently Sarkozy wanted it to be a Fench/American celebration and invited Tom Hanks but not The Queen. There has been such an outcry in the U.K they hastily invited Prince Charles at the last minute.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1191371/So-isn-t-mother-Sir-Veteran-quizzes-Charles-Queens-absence-Franco-American-D-Day-commemoration.html

Subject: Re: Why isn't your mother here sir?

Written By: philbo on 06/08/09 at 7:27 am

They probably figured she'd be bored of it by now - after all, she's been there enough times over the last half-dozen decades.

From this sort of behaviour, I'd guess that Sarcozy is up for reelection some time soon

Written By: Dagwood on 06/08/09 at 7:28 am

I think it's messed up.  She should have been invited.  Sarcozy screwed this up big time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/09 at 8:44 am

Perhaps Her Majesty simply did not want to be showing her age.  :P

Written By: Macphisto on 06/08/09 at 4:02 pm

Inviting Brown would have made more sense.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/09 at 6:23 pm

Oh God, not Charles, puh-leeeese!  OK, I'll go as long as I'm seated down the table from him so I don't have to listen to his tedious screeds on modern architecture.  I'm it's reeeeally quite a bore!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tophat.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/09 at 7:02 pm

Oh God, not Charles, puh-leeeese!  OK, I'll go as long as I'm seated down the table from him so I don't have to listen to his tedious screeds on modern architecture.  I'm it's reeeeally quite a bore!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tophat.gif

I agree.  I'd rather hear George Costanza comment on architecture.  Especially since he likely knows more about it than Prince "I Want to be Your Royal Tampon" Charles.

;D

Written By: Gis on 06/09/09 at 2:55 am

Inviting Brown would have made more sense.
He was there.

Written By: Gis on 06/09/09 at 2:57 am

Thanks guys for reminding me just why I never come on to this board.  ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/09/09 at 10:01 am

Wow, I didn't know the Queen served in WWII...was she a field medic?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/09/09 at 10:07 am

She joined the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service, as No. 230873 Second Subaltern Elizabeth Windsor. She trained as a driver and mechanic, drove a military truck, and rose to the rank of Junior Commander. She is, at present, "the only living head of state who served in uniform during World War II".

Cool.

Written By: philbo on 06/09/09 at 10:31 am

Must have been difficult fighting against her homeland, though ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/09/09 at 10:34 am

Wow, I didn't know the Queen served in WWII...was she a field medic?

Yeah, it's mentioned in the movie "The Queen".  Apparently she's a pretty rugged individual. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/09/09 at 10:36 am

Yeah, it's mentioned in the movie "The Queen".  Apparently she's a pretty rugged individual. :)

She threw a mean screwball in "The Naked Gun".

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/09/09 at 10:38 am

She threw a mean screwball in "The Naked Gun".

Which goes to prove you can't be a pansy and rule the British Empire. :)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/09/09 at 4:22 pm

He was there.

Ah, well then, where's the problem?

Written By: karen on 06/09/09 at 4:24 pm

Ah, well then, where's the problem?

He is not the head of state for the UK, whereas other Heads of State were invited

Written By: Macphisto on 06/09/09 at 4:25 pm

He is not the head of state for the UK, whereas other Heads of State were invited

Pshaw..  Brown's the only leader who actually works.  All these silly figurehead leaders amuse me.

Written By: philbo on 06/10/09 at 5:49 am

Pshaw..  Brown's the only leader who actually works.  All these silly figurehead leaders amuse me.

:)

..thing is, I'd far rather have a ceremonial figurehead attending these sorts of functions than a leader who really ought to be working.

It's why I'm still a supporter of the monarchy, even though it is an anachronism and reinforces privilege. But it does let the people who ought to be working actually work.  And to be honest, I far prefer the Queen and even Charles to almost any of the politicians I can think of who could have got themselves elected to the top job.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/10/09 at 5:35 pm

:)

..thing is, I'd far rather have a ceremonial figurehead attending these sorts of functions than a leader who really ought to be working.

It's why I'm still a supporter of the monarchy, even though it is an anachronism and reinforces privilege. But it does let the people who ought to be working actually work.  And to be honest, I far prefer the Queen and even Charles to almost any of the politicians I can think of who could have got themselves elected to the top job.

That is a good point.  Admittedly, I hadn't really thought about that before.

Written By: philbo on 06/11/09 at 6:45 am

It's been a long-running discussion point within my family: some think that the monarchy has had its day and should be scrapped for something more contemporary, yet I see electorates who frankly do not think to any great depth about the candidates for whom they vote, and a royal family with a greater sense of personal duty than any politician elected, ever.

I also see heads of state overseas whose heads are turned not only by the power, but also by the pomp and ceremony that goes with being head of state.  It's not healthy...

I can't remember exactly who, but it was probably Jeremy Hardy (or possibly Ben Elton) who said "two words that mean we should keep the monarchy, and never become a republic: President Thatcher"

Check for new replies or respond here...