» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Iranian Election

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/09 at 11:02 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090613/ts_nm/us_iran_election_44

Somehow I had the feeling that results would be just that-in fact, many people were predicting it-not because the majority of Iranians favor Ahmadinejad, but because of fraud. I have a feeling that this is not going to disappear quickly. So hold on to your hats, this is going to be a VERY bumpy ride. It is quite possible that this could turn into a civil war if enough of the Iranians are angry enough.

Cat

Subject: Re: Iranian Election

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/09 at 11:40 am

Indeed, I saw the pictures.  There are lot of pissed-off citizens in the streets of theran.

:o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/09 at 12:15 pm

Indeed, I saw the pictures.  There are lot of pissed-off citizens in the streets of theran.

Protest are growing more violent.  Cat's right about the civil war.  A government that does not have the support of the people is one hell of a situation.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/13/09 at 12:48 pm

...now if only Iran could have a secular revolution to overthrow the government of the Islamic Revolution.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/13/09 at 1:30 pm

This may spell some bad times in the future for Iran.  Especially when the Lebanese elections are taken into account.

In Lebanon, Hezbollah was given a large defeat last week.  They are the most radical faction there, with strong ties to Iran.  In last weeks election, they lost 29 seats in the Parlaiment.  The March 14 Alliance (a much more moderate group) picked up 2 more seats, and 27 went to "Change and Reform" candidates.

This gives the reformers 98 seats, to the Hezbollah faction's 30 seats.  This is a strong turn against the Iranian backed factions.

I think that after 30 years of Anti-US and Anti-Western agitation, people in Iran are getting tired of the hard liners.  But it remains to be seen what they will do about it.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/13/09 at 1:37 pm

I just hope Israel isn't stupid enough to attack Lebanon anytime soon.

Inevitably, some group of idiotic terrorists will likely fire more rockets at Israel again in the near future, and if they fire from Lebanon, I would hope that the Israeli government would choose to work with a pro-West government rather than go into full commando mode.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/09 at 2:18 pm

I heard that former President Jimmy Carter was travelling to theran to supervise the elections, but that his plane had difficulty crossing the desert.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/13/09 at 2:47 pm

I heard that former President Jimmy Carter was travelling to theran to supervise the elections, but that his plane had difficulty crossing the desert.

Gee, why does that sound so familiar.

"Desert One"?  ;D

Written By: Davester on 06/13/09 at 2:54 pm

There are always alot of pissed-off citizens in the streets of theran...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/09 at 2:56 pm

There are always alot of pissed-off citizens in the streets of theran...

Yeah, but this time they may have a right to be pissed.  Not your average petty street protest.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/09 at 2:57 pm

That is just in totally bad taste!!!

Cat

Written By: Davester on 06/13/09 at 3:13 pm

It seems to me the true political power lies with the Guardian Council, is that right?  I wonder if Mousavi will really be that different from Ahmadinejad...

Written By: Macphisto on 06/13/09 at 3:52 pm

It seems to me the true political power lies with the Guardian Council, is that right?  I wonder if Mousavi will really be that different from Ahmadinejad...

Khatami was a reformer before Mousavi, and his time in power brought many needed changes to Iran.

It would appear that the Ayatollah feared another leader like him in power, so this election got rigged...  big time.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/13/09 at 3:56 pm

They actually had a real election and not a Saddam election?  I am amazed.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/09 at 4:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi

Is anyone else getting nostalgic?  He's probably rolling over in his grave.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/09 at 7:27 pm

Maybe Jimmeh Cawtah should run for president of Iran!
:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/09 at 7:30 pm

I think that after 30 years of Anti-US and Anti-Western agitation, people in Iran are getting tired of the hard liners.  But it remains to be seen what they will do about it.

Yeah, same thing over here.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/09 at 8:05 pm

Maybe Jimmeh Cawtah should run for president of Iran!
:-\\

No, he's not cut out to be president of Iran.  A bit too moderate for most of them. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/13/09 at 11:01 pm

The revolution will not be televised.  It will, however, be blogged (and blogged), and Twittered and Youtubed with video and Flickrd with photos.

Speaking of photos, here's an early contender for a Pulitzer.

Looks like your best bet for mainstream coverage is BBC, at least as long as they can get and reporters in/out of the area.

Update: It's nighttime in North America; it's early morning in Iran.  University under attack.  Reports of 30K moving on government buildings.  Huge pile of links to ongoing coverage here

Written By: Davester on 06/14/09 at 12:02 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi

Is anyone else getting nostalgic?  He's probably rolling over in his grave.

Ah the good old days...

Did the US ever return the frozen Iranian funds after the shah booked..?

Written By: philbo on 06/14/09 at 9:07 am

Depends what you call a "real election" - Iran have a weird system whereby the ruling council of Ayatollahs choose who is allowed to stand (many hundreds of people.. well, men.. put their names forward, and four were considered up to the task).  So although it's not exactly like not having an election, the contenders are only going to be those considered appropriate by a handful of aging mullahs who think that all education comes from the Koran.

But even now it seems that they might have picked one who was slightly too un-extreme (I couldn't bring myself to use the word "moderate"), so they felt that in the faint chance that he might get elected, they had to rig the election for Ahmadinejad.

There was a funny Iranian comedienne on "Have I got news for you", talking about how nobody can remember who it is standing against Ahmadinejad, and were on the streets chanting for "the other one" - it's a shame you guys don't get the BBC iPlayer on that side of the pond..

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/14/09 at 10:50 am

I agree with Cat.  It seems absurd to blame Carter for the failure of a military mission, especially given 1) the conservative proclivities of the military brass and 2) the possibility that the failure was part of Reagan's "October surprise".  It is clear that the Reagan campaign was fooling around with the Iranians through back channels to embarrass Carter.

And, of course all this crap can be traced back to the overthrow of Mossadegh.  Thanks CIA.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/09 at 11:11 am

Ah the good old days...

Did the US ever return the frozen Iranian funds after the shah booked..?

Probably not. :P  I got a good talking to by a friend who mentioned the Shah's secret police.  Apparently a lot of religious (Anti-Western) politicians and community leaders vanished.  I suppose if it's not one thing it's another. :-\\

Written By: Macphisto on 06/14/09 at 1:05 pm

Say hello to the new Iranian insurgency.  This is going to afford us a whole array of funding and tactical opportunities.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/09 at 1:54 pm

Say hello to the new Iranian insurgency.  This is going to afford us a whole array of funding and tactical opportunities.

Interesting situation, the people being pro-western but the government isn't.  Yep, I know what you're getting at.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/14/09 at 8:08 pm

Boom goes the university.

Fascinating day.  Looks like the Iranian government is bussing in Hezbollah goons to do the dirty work, sorta like how the Chinese used countryside farm yokels to bust up Tienanmen square.  Lotta current and former higher-ups (both in the opposition and within other branches of the government) are either under arrest or nowhere to be found.  Consistent with Scenario 2; 18 hours ago (the time that piece was written), nobody of significance had been taken in.

Back in the West, we've also seen #CNNFail become a meme.  Dear CNN...

The big game's tomorrow.  Can't stop the signal.

Written By: philbo on 06/15/09 at 3:27 am

Interesting situation, the people being pro-western but the government isn't.  Yep, I know what you're getting at.

Who says the people are "pro-Western"?

"Slightly less anti-Western" is probably nearer the mark ;)

Written By: Tia on 06/15/09 at 8:51 am

evidently they had a saddam election and that's exactly the problem.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/15/09 at 9:23 am

I agree with Cat.  It seems absurd to blame Carter for the failure of a military mission, especially given 1) the conservative proclivities of the military brass and 2) the possibility that the failure was part of Reagan's "October surprise".  It is clear that the Reagan campaign was fooling around with the Iranians through back channels to embarrass Carter.

Actually, the mission was so outrageously audatious, many current planners question the initial concept in the first place.  The plan relied on so many things happening correctly, that any small thing happening would lead to disaster...  which it did.

And I have never understood the fascination with an "October Surprise".  The Iranians were basically acting on their own, and had their own reasons for seeing President Carter defeated.  Most of them revolve around his giving refuge to the Shah, and the seizing of their assets.

Plus by the time of the election, it was becomming obvious that the conflict with Iraq was not just a border skirmish, but an all-out war.

And even if they were released in October 1980, President Carter would still have lost.  With a sinking economy, oil rationing, double digit inflation, double digit unemployment, and run away interest rates, his campaign was through by the time the primaries were over.  In July 1980, his approval rating was only 28%.  And the "Rose Garden Campaign" did not help matters either.

Just like President Bush 12 years later, even if he was declaired a hero for releasing the Hostages in 1979, the economy doomed his campaign.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/15/09 at 10:55 am

Ok they like to have their vote counted and they want iPhones.  However they are fiercely proud of the fact that they are Iranian.  Which is different than being Pro-Western. :)

Written By: Jessica on 06/15/09 at 11:09 am

I totally called the outcome.  I told Rice last Wednesday, "Watch.  Ahdalfjfaegoerijad is going to win again because the election is rigged, and all hell is going to break loose."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/09 at 3:03 pm

I totally called the outcome.  I told Rice last Wednesday, "Watch.  Ahdalfjfaegoerijad is going to win again because the election is rigged, and all hell is going to break loose."

I thought the same thing.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/09 at 5:08 pm

And, of course all this crap can be traced back to the overthrow of Mossadegh.  Thanks CIA.

The desert disaster was really just a "poster child" for the ineffectiveness that was encapsulated in the form of the Carter Administration.  The Carter years were noted for a sense of impotence and ineffectiveness, and basically the perception of Carter by the time 1980 rolled around pretty much guaranteed that Reagan (or somebody like him) was gonna take the presidency away from Carter.

My thoughts about Carter are that he was (and is) an honorable man, trying to do the best job he could.  But he was in no way up to the task of being an effective president, and the desert disaster was simply the period at the end of the sentence.

And yes... pretty much all of the Iranian distaste for America has roots in our unconditional support for the Shah.

It is funny that democracy is not such a big thing to preach when the dictator is "our guy", in this case the Shah.
It is also funny that the US derides Moslem Theocracies, yet has no problem giving unconditional support for Isarel, which openly calls itself "A Jewish State".

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/09 at 5:09 pm

Well Jess, you just described the typical election in Chicago.  ;D ;D

Written By: Macphisto on 06/15/09 at 5:11 pm

Iranians really are pro-Western in many respects.  They don't like the pressure they've been getting concerning nuclear research, but they love our media and much of our lifestyle.

They also have an appreciation for democracy (as the riots show us).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/09 at 7:01 pm

The desert disaster was really just a "poster child" for the ineffectiveness that was encapsulated in the form of the Carter Administration.  The Carter years were noted for a sense of impotence and ineffectiveness, and basically the perception of Carter by the time 1980 rolled around pretty much guaranteed that Reagan (or somebody like him) was gonna take the presidency away from Carter.

It didn't hurt for Reagan's people to cut a deal with the Iranians to hold those hostages until inauguration day. 

Written By: Frank on 06/15/09 at 7:37 pm

It didn't hurt for Reagan's people to cut a deal with the Iranians to hold those hostages until inauguration day. 

That was a slap in the face to Carter back then. Probably the way the Iranians wanted it anyways.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/15/09 at 10:21 pm

Ok they like to have their vote counted and they want iPhones.  However they are fiercely proud of the fact that they are Iranian.  Which is different than being Pro-Western. :)

It's also highly different than being Arab.  Suppose one of those interminable French/British wars had gone differently 300-400 years ago.  Everybody's "European", but there'd still be a core of resentment among the French (or Brits) about those uncouth beef-boilers (or hoity toity snail-eaters) who think they know better than everyone what's right.

Your best explanation of the players in this game is found at 06:52:03 on here. (( and has been updated at June 16, 01:01:23, here ))  There's a new thread every 1000-2000 posts or so, but that post should get you up to speed on who's who in the streets, as well as what's happened over the past 72 hours.  It will also put you 8-12 hours ahead of the BBC, and 24 hours ahead of CNN. 

(CNN's actually worse than slow; they appear to be playing the same role they did in Iraq during the years before Gulf War II:  parrot the government's propaganda in exchange for "access" so they've got something to air.  Amanpour may well have been similarly compromised.  You know you've failed as a newsgathering organization when even the New York Times is reporting on your epic fail.)

But to put it briefly -- and back to our players and programme: The Republican Guard is loyal to the regime.  The Basij and Ansar Hezzies are Persians, and act as muscle for the RG.  The Lebanese Hezzbos (did I say that out loud?) are imported muscle, and (being Arab) don't have any problem beating the crap out of Persians.  But the Iranian army (as opposed to the Republican Guard) has gone to painstaking lengths to remain neutral in this conflict.  That army's largely composed of relatively well-educated and non-fanatical 20-30something Perisans, however, and they're going to be much more reluctant to fire on their own people than the other groups mentioned.  Their loyalty is to the country, not to Ahmadinnerjacket per se, but sooner or later the army's going to have to make a choice, and that choice will determine who wins.   

Now, to give you an idea of just how bizarre this has all gotten, I used the sentences "Twitter is actually more useful than cnn", and "Going after the Scilons was just a warmup, (RULES ONE AND TWO).org is actually having an impact on geopolitics", within the same 20 minutes.

Meanwhile...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/3629619977_ba06a349dd_o.jpg

...caption added, but there are multiple independent reports that that's what a lot of dorms looked like this morning.  If you were in the Army, and a bunch of non-citizens were doing that to your fellow 18-30 demographic, whose side would you choose?

(There's an even more interesting picture floating around out there, of a bunch of monitors toppled and smashed onto the floor.  When the thugs ransacked the university computer labs, they trashed the monitors, but ignored the computers, which are sitting there in the computer desks.  It gives you an idea of how computer-literate the hired muscle is, and why the regime is having such a hard time clamping down on the flow of information.)

The game of digital cat-and-mouse continues.  Current lulz may be had for North American Twitter users by changing your location to a city in Iran, and your timezone to GMT+3:30, thereby making the Iranian wiretaps think you might be an Iranian using a Western proxy server.  This will make it harder for them to sort out the real targets from the false positives.  Simultaneously, other hackers are setting up their workstations as proxy servers and/or tunneling servers so that Iranian students can get the news out.  The tricky part is getting the two groups to communicate anonymously -- and to find ways whereby two strangers, known only by each other's IP addresses, can make bets on whether the machine behind the IP address is working for the protestors (a genuine proxy set up by a Westerner with a little free bandwidth), or working for the regime (a honeypot machine, run by the bad guys to track down the protestors). 

Fascinating to watch it play out. 

Written By: Jessica on 06/15/09 at 10:30 pm

You reminded me of someone right there.....

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/Blue-Bolt/spock.jpg

:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/15/09 at 10:50 pm

You reminded me of someone right there.....
:D

A lulzical observation :)

Update: William Gibson (yes, the William Gibson, author of Neuromancer, etc...) has set his location to "theran".  We really are living in a cyberpunk novel.

Updated update (around 0300h EST): If you're reading this and it's the morning or early afternoon of June 16 in North America, flip over to Twitter, because it's game time.  If the dinnerjacket is really in Russia now, it could be over by the time you read this.  Perfect time for a countercoup; the dinnerjacket knows this, and may have left for Russia because he also knows he can't prevent it. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/09 at 11:50 am

A lulzical observation :)

Update: William Gibson (yes, the William Gibson, author of Neuromancer, etc...) has set his location to "theran".  We really are living in a cyberpunk novel.

Updated update (around 0300h EST): If you're reading this and it's the morning or early afternoon of June 16 in North America, flip over to Twitter, because it's game time.  If the dinnerjacket is really in Russia now, it could be over by the time you read this.  Perfect time for a countercoup; the dinnerjacket knows this, and may have left for Russia because he also knows he can't prevent it. 

I find this so funny because I refer to the guy as "Imadinnerjacket".  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: philbo on 06/16/09 at 1:13 pm

I find this so funny because I refer to the guy as "Imadinnerjacket".  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

I prefer "Armoureddinnerjacket"

...in this time of turmoil, it seems doubly appropriate :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/16/09 at 3:26 pm

It's also highly different than being Arab.  Suppose one of those interminable French/British wars had gone differently 300-400 years ago.  Everybody's "European", but there'd still be a core of resentment among the French (or Brits) about those uncouth beef-boilers (or hoity toity snail-eaters) who think they know better than everyone what's right.

Your best explanation of the players in this game is found at 06:52:03 on here. (( and has been updated at June 16, 01:01:23, here ))  There's a new thread every 1000-2000 posts or so, but that post should get you up to speed on who's who in the streets, as well as what's happened over the past 72 hours.  It will also put you 8-12 hours ahead of the BBC, and 24 hours ahead of CNN. 

(CNN's actually worse than slow; they appear to be playing the same role they did in Iraq during the years before Gulf War II:  parrot the government's propaganda in exchange for "access" so they've got something to air.  Amanpour may well have been similarly compromised.  You know you've failed as a newsgathering organization when even the New York Times is reporting on your epic fail.)

But to put it briefly -- and back to our players and programme: The Republican Guard is loyal to the regime.  The Basij and Ansar Hezzies are Persians, and act as muscle for the RG.  The Lebanese Hezzbos (did I say that out loud?) are imported muscle, and (being Arab) don't have any problem beating the crap out of Persians.  But the Iranian army (as opposed to the Republican Guard) has gone to painstaking lengths to remain neutral in this conflict.  That army's largely composed of relatively well-educated and non-fanatical 20-30something Perisans, however, and they're going to be much more reluctant to fire on their own people than the other groups mentioned.  Their loyalty is to the country, not to Ahmadinnerjacket per se, but sooner or later the army's going to have to make a choice, and that choice will determine who wins.   

Now, to give you an idea of just how bizarre this has all gotten, I used the sentences "Twitter is actually more useful than cnn", and "Going after the Scilons was just a warmup, (RULES ONE AND TWO).org is actually having an impact on geopolitics", within the same 20 minutes.

Meanwhile...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/3629619977_ba06a349dd_o.jpg

...caption added, but there are multiple independent reports that that's what a lot of dorms looked like this morning.  If you were in the Army, and a bunch of non-citizens were doing that to your fellow 18-30 demographic, whose side would you choose?

(There's an even more interesting picture floating around out there, of a bunch of monitors toppled and smashed onto the floor.  When the thugs ransacked the university computer labs, they trashed the monitors, but ignored the computers, which are sitting there in the computer desks.  It gives you an idea of how computer-literate the hired muscle is, and why the regime is having such a hard time clamping down on the flow of information.)

The game of digital cat-and-mouse continues.  Current lulz may be had for North American Twitter users by changing your location to a city in Iran, and your timezone to GMT+3:30, thereby making the Iranian wiretaps think you might be an Iranian using a Western proxy server.  This will make it harder for them to sort out the real targets from the false positives.  Simultaneously, other hackers are setting up their workstations as proxy servers and/or tunneling servers so that Iranian students can get the news out.  The tricky part is getting the two groups to communicate anonymously -- and to find ways whereby two strangers, known only by each other's IP addresses, can make bets on whether the machine behind the IP address is working for the protestors (a genuine proxy set up by a Westerner with a little free bandwidth), or working for the regime (a honeypot machine, run by the bad guys to track down the protestors). 

It's interesting though how the internet is being used to tell the world what the hell is going on.  How much you wanna bet they got monitors in storage just for such occasions.  Yeah it's hard for the regime to track people down.  It's not like it used to, now it requires they have at least a Bachelor's in computer science and have played Civilizations 1,2,3 and 4.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/17/09 at 9:59 am

Actually, it is the Revolutionary Guard (or to be specific, the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution).  The Republican Guard was a segment of the Iraqi military that was loyal to the Ba'ath Party.

And a lot of people are rather ignorant of the ethnic groups over here.  Amazingly to me, most do not realize that Iranians are not Arabs.  They are actually Caucasian, and consider themselves to be Persian.  And to make it even more confusing, the Jews that moved after the Shah fell call themselves Persian, so people will not think they are Muslim Iranians.

Things there really are a mess.  We are watching the situation very closely.  But some of the unclassified reports I have read list the Nuclear Program as one of the things that is upsetting a lot of Iranians, on both sides of the debate.

You have the Moderates, who want to improve relations with the Western nations, and to stop the endless Jihads against other nations.  Then you have the fanatical hardliners, who follow the teachings of the Ayatollah Khomeini.  After the revolution, Khomeini ordered the nuclear program dismantled, because he felt it was an abomination.  So even some of the hardliners are useing religious teachings to oppose the direction the current regeime is taking.

However this end up, it is going to be messy. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/19/09 at 12:20 am

However this end up, it is going to be messy. 

Thanks for filling in a couple of the blanks -- I knew most of the ethnicities (and have repeatedly /facepalmed myself in frustration when I try to explain the difference between Persians and Ay-rabs), but was still piecing together the history as I went along over the first few days. 

As for that last comment?  Yup, it sure is.

For those not keeping track:  ~25-100? students dead, 5-10? regime supporters dead.  Students are able to turn out nonviolent protests of 500K-1M people on a daily basis.  Tactically, civilian police are acting as a buffer between the religious thugs and the students during the day; at night, the thugs run sporadic raids against university dorms, doing property damage and disappearing a few activists. 

At a higher level, among anyone living in a city (or with internet connectivity) the regime has lost the battle for the infosphere (for instance, they suck at Photoshop, but if you lived in a small town and your only source of news was the morning paper, you might not spot it unless someone pointed it out to you... but if only one person in your town has the 'net, they'll see it, and even without the 'net, word-of-mouth will take care of spreading the information from there), and although they can partially block the opposition's message from getting out (or smother it with disinformation, and there's reasonably well-founded speculation that several antigovernment Tweeters' accounts have been compromised), the regime is thus far unable to counter with an effective countermessage of its own. 

(tl;dr: You can't stop the signal -- but even if you could, that's not enough to win an information war - the Dinnerjacket's gotta replace the signal with believable noise, which is hard because he sucks at Photoshop, even though he's had since 2008 to get better at it ;)

Humor for the day:

http://craphound.com/images/keyhan-ehtics.jpg

"Ahmadinnerjacket Sucks At Photoshop!"

Judging from the surges of information and disinformation flowing across Twitter regarding Friday's prayers early this afternoon, game time is tomorrow - by the time you wake up in North America, something important will have happened either before, during, or after the event.

Could be the Berlin Wall 2.0, could be Tienanmen Square 2.0.  Probably going to be somewhere in between.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/09 at 10:45 am

June 19: Regime throws down the gauntlet.  Protestors officially declared enemies of the state; no further demonstrations will be tolerated.

June 20: Demonstrations go ahead anyways.  Clerics themselves are

Reports of two blasts reported at Khomeni's shrine via both Twitter and mainstream media sources.  No word on whether it was a protestor gone nuts, or a false flag op by the government.  Highly inconsistent with protestors' modus operandi and stated goals.

Scattered reports of everything from tear gas/water cannons/blunt melee weapons, to boiling water (from helicopters?!  Diabolical, but time/energy-inefficient to drop enough to make a difference, so I treat that report as suspect), rubber bullets, and live ammo being used on protestors.

(( Update:  Instead of boiling water, how about a mistranslation of "it burns", the rumor mill, and think CS + water.  D'oh! ))

About the only certain thing is that about two hours ago, "poop just got real, yo."

Written By: Macphisto on 06/20/09 at 10:49 am

Well, depending on how things go...  I think we should definitely do something to help the rebels.

A few arms go a long way in winning insurgencies.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/09 at 11:02 am

Well, depending on how things go...  I think we should definitely do something to help the rebels.

Yep. Time to take off the gloves.

In the words of the late great John Holmes......  "Let's get dirty!".  :P 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/20/09 at 11:13 am

Well, depending on how things go...  I think we should definitely do something to help the rebels.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot people would like that but how are we supposed to do that? The Armed Forces are spread too thin as it is now with the wars going on in Iraq & Afghanistan not to mention that things are heating up in North Korea. 

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/09 at 11:35 am

Our government is helping -- by staying out of it.  The instant anything with a US flag on it gets dropped into the cities is the instant the regime can point to it and say "See, it's a US-sponsored coup."

If the reports of 1-2M protestors on the streets are any indication, the troops loyal to the regime will run out of bullets long before they're physically overwhelmed by the crowd.  Since this whole thing's taken a life of its own from the Internets, Starcraft isn't exactly Sun Tzu, but think "zerg rush".

Creedy: ...we have guns.
V:  No. What you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.

Ideas, after all, are bulletproof.

More intraday updates are at Andrew Sullivan's blog, who seems to be aggregating Twitter data much faster than I am, and whatever the current Fark thread is -- at this hour, it's here.

(( Update: Current debate focusing on whether the blasts - reported on state-run media - even happened at all.  The report alone would be enough to get loyalists fired up and swinging clubs, and maybe that's all that happened. ))

Written By: Macphisto on 06/20/09 at 11:53 am

Our government is helping -- by staying out of it.  The instant anything with a US flag on it gets dropped into the cities is the instant the regime can point to it and say "See, it's a US-sponsored coup."

If the reports of 1-2M protestors on the streets are any indication, the troops loyal to the regime will run out of bullets long before they're physically overwhelmed by the crowd.  Since this whole thing's taken a life of its own from the Internets, Starcraft isn't exactly Sun Tzu, but think "zerg rush".

V:  No. What you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.

More intraday updates are at Andrew Sullivan's blog, who seems to be aggregating Twitter data much faster than I am, and whatever the current Fark thread is -- at this hour, it's here.

(( Update: Current debate focusing on whether the blasts - reported on state-run media - even happened at all.  The report alone would be enough to get loyalists fired up and swinging clubs, and maybe that's all that happened. ))

I hope your assumptions are correct.

...because if they are, then Iran will be weak enough in the aftermath for us to influence them much more easily....

Written By: Tia on 06/20/09 at 12:33 pm

Our government is helping -- by staying out of it. 
yeah, i was gonna say... i vaguely remember during the bush years (damn i sure like talking about bush in the past tense!  ;D ) he said something supportive about some reformer in an election and the guy promptly dropped ten points in the polls. our words of support kinda have the opposite effect over there...

i have to admit i AM wondering if this would be happening if bush was still in office. hardliners here promote hardliners there, it seems...

Written By: Macphisto on 06/21/09 at 9:49 am

The more I research on Mousavi, the less it seems to matter who wins this.  Here's a good summary of his shady past.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1905477,00.html

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/21/09 at 10:06 am

I read some police and paramilitary are refusing to fight against protesters.  Some police are basically saying to protesters "I don't want to beat you, please, please leave.  What happens when the brutal police start to listen to conscience instead of the powers that be?

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/21/09 at 10:12 am

In Chile in August-Sept. 1973, the left wing of Allende's coalition advocated arming the masses to resist the coup everyone knew was coming.  Allende asked "how many masses does it take to stop a tank?"

I guess it's easy to advocate armed struggle as long as other men's sons are doing the struggling.  I'm clearly not opposed to it, but it isn't my place, or anyone else's here to advocate it.  If it comes, so be it, but that is up to the Iranians.

As to Mosavie's past, I think it is irrelevant.  What is relevant would be the dimished power of the clerics.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/21/09 at 10:46 am

As to Mosavie's past, I think it is irrelevant.  What is relevant would be the dimished power of the clerics.

From our perspective, it should matter.  I'm beginning to wonder if either of these guys are in our best interests.

It might just be a case where the only benefit to us from this is a weaker Iran.

Written By: Tia on 06/21/09 at 10:58 am

From our perspective, it should matter.  I'm beginning to wonder if either of these guys are in our best interests.

It might just be a case where the only benefit to us from this is a weaker Iran.
who's this "us" and "our" you keep referring to?

Written By: Macphisto on 06/21/09 at 11:01 am

who's this "us" and "our" you keep referring to?

Well, I mean America in general.  The nation's trade and strategic interests are not served well by an anti-Western Iran.

Written By: Tia on 06/21/09 at 11:04 am

Well, I mean America in general.  The nation's trade and strategic interests are not served well by an anti-Western Iran.
yeah, that's a totally fallacious construction, though. "america" is totally split in half, the government pretty does the bidding of corporate interests, and i certainly don't think anyone in the government is advancing "my" interests vis-a-vis iran or the mideast in general.

basically by "our" and "us" you're referring to the oil conglomerates, weapons peddlers, and israeli lobbyists, if you're talking about what's driving US foreign policy in the mideast. has nothing to do with you and me or what's in our best interests, to the extent you and i even share interests.

there is no "america in general." maybe there was at one time, but not when the country's split the way it is and regular folks really have no say in what american policy is going to be unless you can afford to buy some lobbyists.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/21/09 at 11:07 am

yeah, that's a totally fallacious construction, though. "america" is totally split in half, the government pretty does the bidding of corporate interests, and i certainly don't think anyone in the government is advancing "my" interests vis-a-vis iran or the mideast in general.

basically by "our" and "us" you're referring to the oil conglomerates, weapons peddlers, and israeli lobbyists, if you're talking about what's driving US foreign policy in the mideast. has nothing to do with you and me or what's in our best interests, to the extent you and i even share interests.

there is no "america in general." maybe there was at one time, but not when the country's split the way it is and regular folks really have no say in what american policy is going to be unless you can afford to buy some lobbyists.

I have no argument against the influence of lobbyists.  I know their power as much as you.

However, it's also not in your interests to have an Iranian government that sponsors anti-Western terror.  Mousavi has a shady past with regard to terror.

So while I'm not claiming to be a benefactor of oil companies, the military industrial complex, or any other lobby group, I still have a vested interest in minimizing the presence of governments that support terror.

Written By: Tia on 06/21/09 at 11:10 am

I have no argument against the influence of lobbyists.  I know their power as much as you.

However, it's also not in your interests to have an Iranian government that sponsors anti-Western terror.  Mousavi has a shady past with regard to terror.

So while I'm not claiming to be a benefactor of oil companies, the military industrial complex, or any other lobby group, I still have a vested interest in minimizing the presence of governments that support terror.
i guess i'm also not clear what you mean by "terror." there's a certain circularity in regards to terms here, i think. "terror" = anything that's anti-"us", and we define "our" interests as being equivalent to anything that's opposed to "terror."

Written By: Macphisto on 06/21/09 at 11:13 am

i guess i'm also not clear what you mean by "terror." there's a certain circularity in regards to terms here, i think. "terror" = anything that's anti-"us", and we define "our" interests as being equivalent to anything that's opposed to "terror."

Well, like when a government supports taking hostages on our airlines, that's terror.  That's the sort of thing that Mousavi had a hand in.

Also, Iran has been a supporter of Hezbollah for a while now.  Mousavi wasn't exactly opposed to them.

Written By: Tia on 06/21/09 at 11:23 am

Well, like when a government supports taking hostages on our airlines, that's terror.  That's the sort of thing that Mousavi had a hand in.

Also, Iran has been a supporter of Hezbollah for a while now.  Mousavi wasn't exactly opposed to them.
well, to be fair, this was back in the 80s, when the reagan administration was supporting both sides in the iran-iraq war. that was a decade in which there was plenty of "terror" to go around. maybe this guy is the same now as he was 25 years ago, maybe he's changed, i dunno. i like robert baer so if he's sounding a cautionary note about this guy i'm inclined to listen. all that said, populist resistance against fraudulent elections in iran strikes me as sounding a salutary note for the cause of international democracy -- something i feel comfortable associating with "we" and "us" -- regardless of who's winning or losing.

i think there's this cynical tendency in the US to just shrug our shoulders and go, oh, elections don't really matter and both candidates are the same. god knows i've done it enough myself. but if these guys in iran are actually putting their lives on the line in the street, the sheer demonstration that makes of their genuine emotional investment makes me hesitant to just go, eh, who cares who wins, they're both the same.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/21/09 at 11:27 am

well, to be fair, this was back in the 80s, when the reagan administration was supporting both sides in the iran-iraq war. that was a decade in which there was plenty of "terror" to go around. maybe this guy is the same now as he was 25 years ago, maybe he's changed, i dunno. i like robert baer so if he's sounding a cautionary note about this guy i'm inclined to listen. all that said, populist resistance against fraudulent elections in iran strikes me as sounding a salutary note for the cause of international democracy -- something i feel comfortable associating with "we" and "us" -- regardless of who's winning or losing.

i think there's this cynical tendency in the US to just shrug our shoulders and go, oh, elections don't really matter and both candidates are the same. god knows i've done it enough myself. but if these guys in iran are actually putting their lives on the line in the street, the sheer demonstration that makes of their genuine emotional investment makes me hesitant to just go, eh, who cares who wins, they're both the same.

Well, I guess my cynicism comes from how often revolutions result in placing someone worse than their predecessor in charge (see most of Africa, Cuba, Venezuela, Afghanistan , etc.).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/21/09 at 11:53 am

The U.S. has had a long history of interfering with Iran. The U.S. help overthrow a democratically elected prime minister and put a puppet leader in called the Shaw. (Yeah, I know it sounds very much like what the U.S. did in Chile in 1973.) Then you have Ronald Reagan playing both sides against the middle in the Iran-Contra affair and blamed it all on Jimmy Carter. Then you have George W. Bush with his cowboy diplomacy referring to Iran as part of the "Axis of Evil" and then people wonder why Iran has anti-American feelings. The best way for the U.S. to handle this situation is exactly what we are doing-NOTHING!!! Let the Iranians figure out what is best for Iran. Then when the dust settles, we should open diplomatic discussions. Iran could be the U.S.'s greatest ally in the Middle East if the U.S. would recognize the fact that Iran is a sovereign nation and is an equal not a subordinate to the U.S. 

Cat 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/21/09 at 11:56 am

The U.S. has had a long history of interfering with Iran. The U.S. help overthrow a democratically elected prime minister and put a puppet leader in called the Shaw. (Yeah, I know it sounds very much like what the U.S. did in Chile in 1973.) Then you have Ronald Reagan playing both sides against the middle in the Iran-Contra affair and blamed it all on Jimmy Carter. Then you have George W. Bush with his cowboy diplomacy referring to Iran as part of the "Axis of Evil" and then people wonder why Iran has anti-American feelings. The best way for the U.S. to handle this situation is exactly what we are doing-NOTHING!!! Let the Iranians figure out what is best for Iran. Then when the dust settles, we should open diplomatic discussions. Iran could be the U.S.'s greatest ally in the Middle East if the U.S. would recognize the fact that Iran is a sovereign nation and is an equal not a subordinate to the U.S. 

Cat   

Well the least that the US of A could do is to give the opposition forces some hot-copper bombs that they can use to attack Republican Guard armor, and give them a few RPG's to fling at the militias.

You know, same thing the Iranian government did to us.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/21/09 at 2:08 pm

Well the least that the US of A could do is to give the opposition forces some hot-copper bombs that they can use to attack Republican Guard armor, and give them a few RPG's to fling at the militias.

You know, same thing the Iranian government did to us.

I don't know about that...  Mousavi could end up worse than Ahmadinejad.

Written By: Tia on 06/21/09 at 2:10 pm

I don't know about that...  Mousavi could end up worse than Ahmadinejad.
worse than hack-on-my-dinner-jacket? surely not!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/09 at 2:41 pm

The Iranians gotta work this out for themselves.  I know its messy and ugly and scary and all, but if the U.S. gets involved, problems will multiply.  On top of that, the aggrieved faction will blame America for the next sixty years. 

I just hope there's no saber-rattling against Israel; that'll pressure the U.S. to stick its nose in where it don't belong!

::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/22/09 at 1:19 am

Late updates from the weekend, now that I'm finally caught up:

It's official:  The dinnerjacket not only sucks at Photoshop, he sucks at election fraud.

It's fake:  The one about the pregnant woman who got shot in the belly, with predictable photographic evidence.  The picture wasn't 'shopped, but it was from a year or so ago and from a different war. 

It's real:  What was real on Saturday was another woman who got shot.  If you haven't heard about her already, you will hear (if you haven't already) about her tomorrow.  Her name was Neda, and she went viral within hours of her death.  Normally, these kinds of stories were the ones that filtered out days/weeks after the dust had settled.  That doesn't work anymore.  It's on the 'net within minutes, it's distributed widely a few minutes later, and the rest is viral history.

It's viral: How viral?  Viral enough that everyone from Daily Kos to Michelle Malkin were in agreement.  Viral enough that Time picked up on it.  Viral enough that even the execrable CNN (whose Saturday observation, upon airing a blurred-out version of the video, used the words "Appears to have been seriously injured" -- an understatement comparable with describing a sucking chest wound as "nature's way of telling you to slow down") somehow found a testicle and aired the uncensored version.

Viral enough that she may turn out to be this generation's Tank Guy, aka "That dude at Tienanmen Square".  At least Tank Guy knew what he was facing down.  By most accounts, Neda was just standing there with her father, a kilometer away from the protests, when a nearby sniper took her out.  Which makes her different.

And she is different from Cro-Magnon man
She's different from Anne Boleyn
She is different from the Rosenbergs
And from the unknown Jew
She is different from the unknown Nicaraguan
Half superstar half victim
She's a victor star conceptually new
And she is different from the Dodo
And from the Kankabono
She is different from the Aztec
And from the Cherokee
She's everybody's sister
She's symbolic of our failure
She's the one in fifty million
Who can help us to be free
Because she died on Youtube
  - With apologies to Roger Waters

Neda's someone you need to see, even though you'll wish you hadn't.  Nobody's 100% sure if that's her real name, although it's audible in the screaming.  There are two videos.  Nuff said.

It's random::  No tanks in the streets; all of those rumors were bogus.  Nobody figured out what was being dropped from helicopters.  The Basiji suck at working water cannons.  Yeah, that might have been Basiji's theran HQ that got blowed up real good this morning on BBC.  140 characters is a novel when you're being shot at.  If Gulf War 2 made us all into armchair generals, the Green Revolution is making us all into armchair intelligence analysts, and it's made everybody in Iran under age 30 into into equally-inexperienced field agents. 

It's too late:  Sunday saw...

1) The mainstream media finally waking up to the fact that this is now about more than merely the results of the election... even though most of their reporters have, by now, been expelled.

2) (One of the moderate Grand Ayatollahs) Montazeri backing the protestors and essentially questioning (current "Supreme Leader") Khameni's legitimacy.  That schism could break the regime.

3) The Governing Council admitting to a 3-million-vote irregularity, and to 50+ cities with greater-than-100% voter turnout.  Which is less fraud than originally suspected, but that's not saying much.  I presume their hope is that if they throw the (President) Dinnerjacket under the bus and call for a revote (or better for them, a recount, and hope that nobody remembers the ballot boxes that were burned), they can save their position. This is understandably coming across as the Worst. Damage. Control. Ever. 

4) Generalized and decentralized calls for a silent protest - driving with one's lights on - for Monday, and a general strike, starting Tuesday. 

Current situation reports can be had by reading the first page or so of the latest thread Fark thread (currently Thread 38, soon to go to 39) or via the message boards hosted by Anonymous.  (NiteOwl's nightly Green Briefs, plus the first 50-100 pages of whatever the latest Fark thread is, plus the various Twitter feeds of people who have been found to be credible, should keep you at least 6-12 hours ahead of the mainstream media.)

Finally, something uplifting:  Zeroes and Ones.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/22/09 at 9:56 am

Looks like a serious split among the clerics.  Seems Raftsamjohnnie's family was detained so as to get him to keep his mouth shut.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/09 at 11:18 am

Looks like a serious split among the clerics.  Seems Raftsamjohnnie's family was detained so as to get him to keep his mouth shut.

That's the odd part.  Rafsanjani (sp?) pretty much was already keeping his mouth shut, at least in public.

Maybe he was serving as an agent provocateur behind the scenes.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/09 at 11:46 am

Seems like it is time for the Iranian people to do what people in their area of the world do best... mount a gueriulla insurgency to take out any form of organized government, corrupt or not.

Of course the problem is that none of the insurgents in the surrounding Muslim countries fight for "freedom", instead they fight for subjugation.  So none of those guy will be helping Mousavi's folks in this battle.

Although... I do not imagine that Mousavi has a very big probblem with subjugating his fellow Iranians either.  As long as he, of course, is the one doing the subjugation.  ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 06/22/09 at 12:02 pm

I love how even the Iranian Press can't keep it's story straight.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=98746&sectionid=351020101

In the above article, it states how "Armed Vandals" attacked the terrorists protesting the rightfull Government, and that things have been quiet since Saturday.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=98770&sectionid=351020101

Yet here they say they are going to let loose the Revolutionary Guard if they continue to riot.

Then there are the reports that the police did not shoot the protestors, and that only 13 are dead.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=98732&sectionid=351020101

What happened to the 20 they keep talking about to the rest of the world?

I have to admit, I love reading PressTV.  It takes me back to my youth, listening to Radio Moscow on the shortwave.   8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/09 at 12:26 pm

Seems like it is time for the Iranian people to do what people in their area of the world do best... mount a gueriulla insurgency to take out any form of organized government, corrupt or not.

Yes, yes, I dare say, when we ran that country it worked!  You can't let the bloody wogs have a go at it!

--Colonel Blimp

Written By: philbo on 06/22/09 at 5:13 pm

Yes, yes, I dare say, when we ran that country it worked!  You can't let the bloody wogs have a go at it!

--Colonel Blimp

Before we interfered in Iran, it worked.. but that wasn't what the Western governments of the day wanted, so we installed a puppet Shah and screwed their country for them.

The very worst thing we (that is, UK/US/EU and the like) can do now is interfere.  At least Obama's got that bit right (whatever some of the pundits over there seem to be saying).

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/09 at 5:34 pm

The very worst thing we (that is, UK/US/EU and the like) can do now is interfere.  At least Obama's got that bit right (whatever some of the pundits over there seem to be saying).

Oh, I can quite assure you that the US and other countries are interfering.  Do not think for one minute that the CIA and other similar agencies from the West aren't in the game in some way. That's why it is called covert support.

Written By: Tia on 06/22/09 at 6:06 pm

Oh, I can quite assure you that the US and other countries are interfering.  Do not think for one minute that the CIA and other similar agencies from the West aren't in the game in some way. That's why it is called covert support.
well that's why it's called "covert." i dunno about the word "support." who's being supported is definitely an open question.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/09 at 10:14 pm

And if we try to pull the kind sh*t we tried in 1953, we'll guarantee ourselves another half-century of "Death to America!"
Is that what we want?
???

Written By: Macphisto on 06/22/09 at 10:36 pm

And if we try to pull the kind sh*t we tried in 1953, we'll guarantee ourselves another half-century of "Death to America!"
Is that what we want?
???

I don't think it's a matter of what we want.  It's a matter of the CIA not willing to stay out of stuff like this.

Regardless, I think Obama is taking the right course.  Iran is weakening itself with every passing day.

Back in the 80s, we tried to create an insurgency against the Islamic government, and 20 years later, the people are doing it for us.  This bodes quite well for American interests in the long run.  Iran will likely be much more vulnerable and malleable when all this is said and done.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/23/09 at 12:18 am

Amidst the lulz today (chiefly centered around unverified reports of an Iranian trojan/keylogger that reports back to a certain email address, which was subsequently deluged with Rule 34 on... well, everything), I saw the following little tidbit towards the end Fark thread 42.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm277/foretopsail/therantraffic623.jpg

The green line represents the average speed of traffic today, in km/h.  The red line represents the historical average speed for whatever portion of road was monitored by that sensor.  Traffic on that road typically runs at around 50 MPH, by slows to less than 30 MPH during rush hour.  Today, there is no slowdown.

If that graph is representative of traffic conditions in theran, people are staying home in numbers significant enough to eliminate rush hour.  I conclude that the general strike is on, and that it has sufficient popular support to materially affect Iran's capacity to do business.

Earlier today, I wondered what the Iranian government's internal polling was saying about the loyalties of their people... and then I realized that their internal polling is isn't going to be telling them anything useful, let alone the great unwashed of the Internet.  We don't want to know what the regime's polls are telling it, we want to know what's actually going on.

If you want to know whether the war's on, count the number of pizza delivery guys hauling pies to the Pentagon.

If you want to know whether anyone's participating in a general strike, look at the morning commute's traffic report.

Now Playing: DOA, General Strike.

Written By: philbo on 06/23/09 at 5:33 am

Iran will likely be much more vulnerable and malleable when all this is said and done.

Spoken like a good imperialist... here was me hoping for an Iran that was more rational and cooperative in its dealings with the outside world.

I don't want a vulnerable, malleable Iran: you'd end up with more asinine attempts from outside to decide who's running the place, followed by more insurgency and destabilization.  A strong, rational Iran that realizes that the best way to make itself stronger and more prosperous is to deal with the rest of the world sensibly is a far, far better prospect - there might not be as much short-term benefit for the US in that, but frankly I don't give a sheesh about that.

That'd be the Criminally Idiotic A-holes, then? 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/24/09 at 12:14 am

Slow news day on the cyberwar front.

The usual reports of beatings/torture/what-not on the streets, the usual rumors of splits amongst the clergy and defections from the military on the web, and at least one reliable news source appears to have gone dark; other reliable sources have been pretty quiet over the past few hours.

Traffic websites showing very light traffic on the opening of the second day of the general strike.

The implementation of the general strike is actually a pretty clever tactic.  It's downright lulzy.  No green-wearing, no finger-signing, no slogan-chanting -- just mobs of Anonymous people wandering to the bazaar to go shopping.  Except that nobody's buying anything.  "Sorry, just looking."  The guys selling merchandise at the bazaar can honestly tell the thugs they showed up work, even if they didn't make a single sale.  Opposition supporters, when threatened by club-wielding Basij, can honestly say they're not protesting, they're just going shopping.  To put it in Western terms, if the regime tries to ban shopping by beating up everyone who approaches the malls, the net economic result is the same as if the entire retail sector had walked off the job.  It's a perfect Catch-22 of which Joseph Heller himself would be proud.  Yossarian Lives.

That said, political momentum, at least yesterday, appears to be with the regime.  If the regime can continue to disperse protestors and kill the leaders, it can buy itself a few more years in power.  If the opposition has an ace or two up its sleeve (or if the strikes gain in momentum over the next few days), the regime could fall.  This loss of momentum was, frankly, to be expected; rioting without the support of a military is hard work that ultimately achieves little, and strikes (whether directed against corporations or governments) take more than a day to materially affect the balance sheet of the targeted entity.

Meanwhile...

http://content.cartoonbox.slate.com/?feature=60f84ce5172d44f1f82d489183ee144a

A good reminder that it took more than a week to get the current band of thugs in power 30 years ago, and it may well take more than a week to get them back out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/09 at 8:22 am

Is that what we want?
???

Where were you when the sh*t hit Iran? ???

;D

Written By: philbo on 06/24/09 at 8:43 am

Tempting to do a Nickelback parody "Yeah, yeah.. I wanna be Iran's Tsar" ... I know, it'd work better with Iraq, but

Written By: Macphisto on 06/24/09 at 5:11 pm

Spoken like a good imperialist... here was me hoping for an Iran that was more rational and cooperative in its dealings with the outside world.

Maybe...  maybe not.  But Mousavi doesn't have a history of much rationality when you look at his connections to terror.

I don't want a vulnerable, malleable Iran: you'd end up with more asinine attempts from outside to decide who's running the place, followed by more insurgency and destabilization.  A strong, rational Iran that realizes that the best way to make itself stronger and more prosperous is to deal with the rest of the world sensibly is a far, far better prospect - there might not be as much short-term benefit for the US in that, but frankly I don't give a sheesh about that.

A strong Iran doesn't look like it's going to be a reality anytime soon.  Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see Iran become as Western as say...  the U.K., but that's not going to happen right now.  The people are at least more rational than a lot of the Middle East, but their government is extremely vulnerable and unstable.

Just because we refrain from influencing Iran doesn't mean everyone else will.  If not us, then it will be the Chinese or the Russians... or possibly just Iran's neighbors.  Once a political vacuum appears, it is immediately filled by SOMEONE.  The U.S. just prefers to be that someone when it could prove beneficial to our trade or strategic military presence.

I'm not saying it's the nicest thing to do, but it is the way of the world.  Besides, you know this.  You live in what was once the world's premier imperialist nation.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/25/09 at 1:52 am

Before we interfered in Iran, it worked.. but that wasn't what the Western governments of the day wanted, so we installed a puppet Shah and screwed their country for them.

There is something a lot of people have to realize.

Almost every country interferes with every other country.  It is simply the nature of man, we all want what is best for our country.  The difference is that sometimes it is benign (to get better trade), and sometimes it is benivolent (we want to destroy them and elevate ourselves).

Iran interferes with us constantly.  Much of the Jihadists and their support comes from Iran.  They are also a major provider of intelligence for them.  As well as aid given to militants in Jordan, Syria, Afganistan, Iraq, Palestine, and Lebanon.  So for them to be giving out ultimatums is rather silly if you ask me.

And the "interference" they are talking about is other nations simply talking about their unrest and commenting on it, let alone condemning it.  In their minds, they are a "Religious Master Race", and they can do no wrong.  And anybody that says anything against them is an infidel and will be destroyed.

And what gives Iran the right to censor other nations?  They have been spewing out hate for 30 years now.  Hate at the US, UK, and all the other Western nations.  Hate at Iraq, hate at Saudi Arabia.  And hate at Israel.  But we point a finger and say "you are doing a bad thing to your people", and we are interfering.

Makes me want to interfere, with a flight of F-117 and B-2, right at the Supreme Leaders's houses.  Or return the favor and provide at least kevlar vests and helmets to their people.

Written By: philbo on 06/25/09 at 4:42 am

And what gives Iran the right to censor other nations?  They have been spewing out hate for 30 years now.  Hate at the US, UK, and all the other Western nations.  Hate at Iraq, hate at Saudi Arabia.  And hate at Israel.  But we point a finger and say "you are doing a bad thing to your people", and we are interfering.

No, we point a finger and say "you're doing a bad thing" - that isn't interfering.  Sure, they may complain that it's interfering, but the way things are in Iran even if *everybody* were studiously looking the other way, they'd be complaining about outsiders interfering.  For much the same reason as Mugabe does: it's a way of distracting attention from their own failings.

In the same vein, Iran doesn't interfere with us constantly - that would be using such a broad-brush interpretation of the word "interfere" that it becomes meaningless.  I'm sure they'd like to be having the sort of international influence that you suggest (remember that Iran had an empire long, long before there was any kind of civilization in most of today's Western nations), but the effect of their interference isn't measurable other than in terms of our paranoia.

Maybe...  maybe not.  But Mousavi doesn't have a history of much rationality when you look at his connections to terror.

Mousavi doesn't fill me with confidence either.. but Ahmadinejad is simply too surreally irrational - so much so, I used to think it was an affectation: he was hamming up the "loony leader" act as a way of getting some kind of advantage... I mean, academically he's a clever bloke - even brilliant - yet the direction he has chosen with that brain of his is utterly insane.

A strong Iran doesn't look like it's going to be a reality anytime soon.  Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see Iran become as Western as say...  the U.K., but that's not going to happen right now.  The people are at least more rational than a lot of the Middle East, but their government is extremely vulnerable and unstable.

I agree.. though I don't really care so much about how Westernized they become - it's the lack of rationality and plain common sense that has been the most worrying thing (especially when combined with a desire for nuclear weapons)

Just because we refrain from influencing Iran doesn't mean everyone else will.  If not us, then it will be the Chinese or the Russians... or possibly just Iran's neighbors.  Once a political vacuum appears, it is immediately filled by SOMEONE.  The U.S. just prefers to be that someone when it could prove beneficial to our trade or strategic military presence.
Some of Iran's neighbours would love to interfere, I'm sure: especially the non-Shia part of Iraq.  They must be loving it at the moment :)

I'm not saying it's the nicest thing to do, but it is the way of the world.  Besides, you know this.  You live in what was once the world's premier imperialist nation.

So does Ahmadinejad.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/25/09 at 5:44 am

No, we point a finger and say "you're doing a bad thing" - that isn't interfering.  Sure, they may complain that it's interfering, but the way things are in Iran even if *everybody* were studiously looking the other way, they'd be complaining about outsiders interfering.  For much the same reason as Mugabe does: it's a way of distracting attention from their own failings.

In the same vein, Iran doesn't interfere with us constantly - that would be using such a broad-brush interpretation of the word "interfere" that it becomes meaningless.  I'm sure they'd like to be having the sort of international influence that you suggest (remember that Iran had an empire long, long before there was any kind of civilization in most of today's Western nations), but the effect of their interference isn't measurable other than in terms of our paranoia.

The interference from Iran is not comming directly, it is like our Shadow War with the USSR.

Sure, we knew who was supplying arms and equipment (and troops) to North Korea, Viet Nam, West Germany, Cuba, and every place else we were involved.  Much like we supplied the same in Afganistan, Nicuragua, and the like.  Both sides generally denied it, or claimed they were aiding people who asked for their help.  But it was still interference, and people died because of it.

And not many deny the involvement of Iran with the fighters in the Middle East.  We have traced weapons captured in Iraq right back to those purchased by the Revolutionary Guard.  And the same with many other weapons and even some people.  And not many deny the involvement of Iran with Hezbolah and Hamas.

They are not very influential internationally.  But regionally they want to be the supreme power.  And they do not let anybody forget that they were once the global power.  Of course, that was back before the stirrup was invented, and the Chariot was a major weapon of war.

But I do not consider our President commenting on their current problems as interfering.  Of course, they are in a culture that "freedom of speech" is allowed.  As long as your speech is a variant of "Destroy the Infidels!".

::)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/26/09 at 12:45 pm

So does Ahmadinejad.

Touche... 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/09 at 1:30 pm

Touche... 

Reminds me of a skit on In Living Color...

"Douché... Or should I say, Summer's Eve?"
;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/26/09 at 7:24 pm

;D ;D

Oh fooey! You beat me to it!
:(

Written By: Macphisto on 06/26/09 at 8:48 pm

;D ;D

lol...  suddenly, I'm now thinking of that duo that did movie reviews on that show...

"Iranian election...  What did you think of it?"

"HATED IT!"  *with flaming accent and loose wristed flair*

Written By: Mushroom on 06/28/09 at 5:15 am

Well, apparently the uprising in Iran is caused by the UK.

The Iranian news service has announced that 8 British Embassy staff members have been arrested.  They are accused of inflaming tensions in the nation after the election.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=99243&sectionid=351020101

Hmmm, reminds me of 30 years ago.  First it was the CIA starting the riots.  Then the CIA snuck in a sniper who killed Neda and blamed it on the Iranian Government.  Now the riots are all being caused by England.

Curiouser and Curioser. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/09 at 12:07 pm

Well, apparently the uprising in Iran is caused by the UK.

The Iranian news service has announced that 8 British Embassy staff members have been arrested.  They are accused of inflaming tensions in the nation after the election.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=99243&sectionid=351020101

Hmmm, reminds me of 30 years ago.  First it was the CIA starting the riots.  Then the CIA snuck in a sniper who killed Neda and blamed it on the Iranian Government.  Now the riots are all being caused by England.

Curiouser and Curioser. ???

Wasn't it all Obama's fault? After all it all Obama's fault that Mark Sanford flew down to Argentina to have an affair why wouldn't it be his fault for the Iranian protests?

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 06/28/09 at 3:01 pm

Iran seems to be taking its cues from Pravda in terms of propaganda.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/28/09 at 9:50 pm

Wasn't it all Obama's fault? After all it all Obama's fault that Mark Sanford flew down to Argentina to have an affair why wouldn't it be his fault for the Iranian protests?

I don't know about that.  But it is lso the fault of the US and Israel.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=99291&sectionid=351020101

One thing I love about that Iranian government, it is consistant.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/29/09 at 12:31 am

That one I can figure out.  England still has an embassy in Iran.  The US, at least for the past 30 years, not so much :)

First rule of dictatorship:  have someone else to blame.

Hence, today's arrests of British embassy workers.  Subsequent to these arrests, some of the workers have been released.)  Some ambiguity as to whether the workers were Iranian nationals or British nationals.  Either way, as long the arrests happened off Embassy property, fair game, even if the charges are patently bogus.  By the Iranian government's standards, the act of taking in wounded and rendering medical aid - to combatants on either side, or to civilians caught in the crossfire - would qualify as interference/incitement.

Second rule of dictatorship:  get the dissidents to sign forced confessions.  Doesn't matter whether they're believable or not.

The past few days have seen the flow of information get squeezed down to a drip.  Several notable tweeters (one of whom is linked to on a post on the second page of this thread) are reporting that they've been arrested, and at least one is reporting about what it's like to be torturedaggressively interrogated.  Don't know if it's true or if the accounts have been compromised.  Leaning towards "true".

Momentum, for now, remains firmly on the side of the regime.  Maybe the bad guys win this one.  Maybe it's over.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/lajimi/More%20Lolcats/PEARLHARBOR.jpg

But if it is over...

Things we've learned from the Iranian government:
- If you want to fudge election results, don't fudge them by such a wide margin as to arouse suspicion.  51% is good enough.  They woulda gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids (hell, they might have won - albeit by a razor-thin margin - for all we know!), but those meddling kids wouldn't have gotten involved in the first place if the faked election results hadn't been so obvious.
- Using hired thugs as muscle doesn't work during the opening stages - it only intensifies the protestors' resolve. 
- Using hired thugs as muscle might work during midgame and endgame - after all, you've always got the option of charging individual "useful idiots" for their crimes... as long as you do it after the rebellion's been quelled.
- If you want to stay in power, skip the thugs and negotiate early, preferably before mobs chanting "We want a revote to put our guy in power" start to chant "Burn it all down".
- If the government owns (or is) the only ISP, it can do lots of interesting things.  As one example of many, it can effectively blackhole SSL to anywhere outside the country, but leave it on for traffic within its network, and most of its citizens can go about their daily business without noticing anything truly wrong.  Consumer-level online banking in Iran, for instance, doesn't require users to connect via SSL with any servers outside of Iran.  Even if enabling domestic SSL means that dissidents can communicate with each other, they can only do so at the cost of exposing their entire social network to the regime ("Look at all this encrypted traffic that doesn't have anything to do with anybody's bank!"), and they can't securely get data out of the country ("Look at this encrypted VPN traffic - it times out, and then the guy connects in cleartext to some proxy in America, and the transmission contains lots of interesting words!"). 

Things we've learned from the protestors:
- It takes only one death on camera before "we want a revote within the current system's framework" becomes "burn it all down".
- It takes about 72 hours to go from being a nobody to being a leading source.
- After becoming a leading source, it takes a government about a week to track you down and compromise or eliminate you.  Sure, Anonymous does not forgive, Anonymous does not forget... but neither do the regime's Narus boxen and other DPI tools.

Things we haven't learned so far:
- Of the people on the ground, who got caught; who didn't get caught but merely went dark; and who's still operating under the radar.
- The sorts of COMSEC and INFOSEC mistakes made by the first group, but not by the latter two groups.
- To what extent is Anonymous capable of more than just coordinated DDOS on Iranian government sites?  And if they are, what happens if it turns out a non-state actor is capable of credibly threatening a nation-state? 
- Whether Western intelligence agencies have any idea what's going on any more than the Iranian government - or its opposition - does.

Written By: philbo on 06/29/09 at 3:00 am

Iran seems to be taking its cues from Pravda in terms of propaganda.

"Pravda" being the Russian for "Truth"... always thought that was marvellously ironic :)

Wasn't it all Obama's fault?

Something like that

First rule of dictatorship:  have someone else to blame.

Another excellent post, FB

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/09 at 3:20 am

"Pravda" being the Russian for "Truth"... always thought that was marvellously ironic :)

Karma for reminding me of an old Russian joke from the Cold War era.  The flip side of Pravda (Russian for "Truth") was Izvestia, which is Russian for "News", and back when Pravda was the official newspaper of the Party, Izvestia was the newspaper of "the government", making it subtly different from "the Party".  It was basically the "alternative" (albeit a  harmlessly-fabricated alternative, as "the government" and the "Party" were effectively indistinguishable) viewpoint.

To illustrate the point, Izvestia would report on how well the current government's Five-Year Plan was going.  (It was always going well, even though there was no bread.)  Pravda reported how wonderful the Party's next Five-Year-Plan was going to be.  (Even if, by some strange coincidence, you were unlucky enough to have trouble finding bread on your store's shelves, there'd be plenty of bread in your store when the next Plan kicked in...)

Hence the joke:

"There is no truth in the news, and no news in the truth."

It's one of the few Russian jokes that reads as well in English as it did in Russian, and as well today as it did 50 years ago.

Written By: philbo on 07/04/09 at 9:15 am

:)

Thaks FB

Hence the joke:

"There is no truth in the news, and no news in the truth."

That's not news... but it is true :)

Check for new replies or respond here...