» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Republican South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford admits to extramarital affair

Written By: Brian06 on 06/24/09 at 2:14 pm

Will the party of family values demand his resignation?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/24/south.carolina.governor/index.html

(CNN) -- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford admitted Wednesday, amid speculation over his whereabouts for the last several days, that he has been engaged in an extramarital affair with an Argentinian woman.

"I've been unfaithful to my wife," Sanford told a news conference in Columbia, the state capital. "I developed a relationship with what started as a dear, dear friend from Argentina."

Subject: Re: Republican South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford admits to extramarital affair

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/09 at 2:17 pm

Will the party of family values demand his resignation?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/24/south.carolina.governor/index.html

(CNN) -- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford admitted Wednesday, amid speculation over his whereabouts for the last several days, that he has been engaged in an extramarital affair with an Argentinian woman.

"I've been unfaithful to my wife," Sanford told a news conference in Columbia, the state capital. "I developed a relationship with what started as a dear, dear friend from Argentina."

Well this explains why he didn't tell the wifey where he was going.  Makes sense.  ;)

Instead of telling her "I'm going to South America to tap this fine Argentinian chick", he instructed his aides to say he was "hiking the Appalachian trail".  I guess that's what they call it these days.

Guess that clears things up and he is back to being seen as prime meat for the 2012 presidential election.

;D

Subject: Re: Republican South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford admits to extramarital affai

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/24/09 at 3:15 pm

Somebody needs to do "I'm cheating in Argentina" to "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" by Sarah Brightman/Julie Covington/Madonna

Subject: Re: Republican South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford admits to extramarital affair

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/24/09 at 3:18 pm

He said he's only going to resign as head of the Republican Governors.  However to leave his state and fly to Argentina (probably at tax payers expense) just to be with this woman is stupidity.  Then he had to lie about it.  I heard the impeachment process is starting.  Ironically he was yelling about Bill Clinton.  At least Bill did it in his office and saved taxpayers money. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/09 at 3:19 pm

This story just gets more & more bizarre.

Cat

Written By: Satish on 06/24/09 at 4:08 pm

I don't think he should lose his job over it. This affair just seems to be a personal matter that didn't extend to his professional performance and where no laws were broken.

Written By: Paul on 06/24/09 at 4:09 pm

Hm...I'm not exactly 100% clued-up on affairs in South Carolina, but...

...the guy's a politician! Should I be in the slightest bit surprised?  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/09 at 4:24 pm

I don't think he should lose his job over it. This affair just seems to be a personal matter that didn't extend to his professional performance and where no laws were broken.

I don't see it that way.  When the Governor of a State goes AWOL, and nobody knows where he is (and it is not a covert government business sort of thing) it shows exceedingly poor judgement.

What if there had been some sort of disaster had happened in his state and he was nowhere to be found?  Not to mention that since he likely did not travel with any particular security detail, he coulda been kidnapped down there as a high-value target.

Off with his head, I say.

Meanwhile... I wonder what the South American chick looks like?  Anybody got a pic? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/09 at 4:26 pm

Ironically he was yelling about Bill Clinton.  At least Bill did it in his office and saved taxpayers money. :)

Other than perhaps a dry cleaning bill.

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/09 at 4:41 pm

I don't see it that way.  When the Governor of a State goes AWOL, and nobody knows where he is (and it is not a covert government business sort of thing) it shows exceedingly poor judgement.

What if there had been some sort of disaster had happened in his state and he was nowhere to be found?  Not to mention that since he likely did not travel with any particular security detail, he coulda been kidnapped down there as a high-value target.

Off with his head, I say.

Meanwhile... I wonder what the South American chick looks like?  Anybody got a pic? ???

What LB said. It is not a matter of an affair. To me, affairs are personal. It does bother me when people claim to all about family values and insist that others resign when they are caught with their pants down while they themselves are screwing around on their wives. That just screams of hypocrisy but it is not illegal. However, when you have a leader of a state disappears without a word to ANYONE and it doesn't matter if he was hiking on the Appalachian Trail, or flew off to Argentina for a roll in the hay with some South American chick (on Father's Day no less), then that is illegal. According to the SC Constitution, the governor can be impeached for "any willful neglect of duty."  Being AWOL for 5 days without handing the reigns over to the Lt. Governor can be considered "willful neglect of duty." If he were to do it correctly, he could have said, "I'm going to be away for several days, Lt. Gov. you have control until I get back." But he didn't do that. It is obvious to me that the guy is just totally out of his mind.

Cat   

Written By: Macphisto on 06/24/09 at 5:04 pm

Considering he supported Clinton's impeachment for infidelity, I think he needs to resign.

The same goes for Senator Ensign (who also pushed for Clinton's impeachment).

Written By: Jessica on 06/24/09 at 5:32 pm

I KNEW IT!

The second they said he had been in Argentina after lying about hiking, I thought to myself, "Affair."

Dumbass.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/09 at 5:44 pm

Well at least when he had the press conference, his long-suffering wife was not standing by his side.

Hopefully she'll hit him over the head with a rolling pin when (and if) he gets home.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/24/09 at 5:46 pm

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/congressman_offers_preemptive

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/24/09 at 5:58 pm

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/political-pictures-john-ensign-hypocrisy-works.jpg?w=500&h=496

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/09 at 6:38 pm

That Argentinian broad must something else!  I've heard of sneaking out for a bit of strange, but sneaking out 4000 miles?  Shooo-weee, that's gotta be some fiiiine (shout your mouth)!

Sanford was probably agonizing for an excuse to go to Buenos Aires, then finally he couldn't stand it anymore, so he thought he'd just tell 'em he was going hiking on the Appalachian Trail for five days!

The moral of the story is:
Don't let the, erm, lieutenant governor think for the governor, governor!

:-X

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/24/09 at 7:55 pm

“I think it would be much better for the country and for him personally (to resign). I come from the business side. If you had a chairman or president in the business world facing these allegations, he’d be gone.”

“The issue of lying is probably the biggest harm, if you will, to the system of Democratic government, representatives government, because it undermines trust. And if you undermine trust in our system, you undermine everything.”

wait, he's a DEMOCRAT that was calling for impeachment?

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/fnc-20090624-sanford.jpg

oh wait... FAUX NEWS... he's really a Republican.  wait, he said Woman right?  now I'm confused...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/09 at 8:08 pm

He keeps on talking about all the stuff he let down...except his pants!
And he keeps apologizing to his staff, but his staff's what got him in all that trouble in the first place!

And did you see those gooey emails?  Eeeeeew!!! Icky-out!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/puke.gif

"You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty. I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night's light - but hey, that would be going into sexual details."

(Oh, that's gentle kisses, I thought it said...never mind!)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/09 at 8:17 pm

And he keeps apologizing to his staff, but his staff's what got him in all that trouble in the first place!

And did you see those gooey emails?  Eeeeeew!!! Icky-out!

"You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty. I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night's light - but hey, that would be going into sexual details."

Quite an elegant exchange.

If Governor LyricBoy were to get into this sort of trouble, my emails would be more direct and to the point.  "Hey baby, wanna party?"...  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/09 at 8:32 pm

If Governor LyricBoy were to get into this sort of trouble, my emails would be more direct and to the point.  "Hey baby, wanna party?"...  :P

So long as you make it clear in your campaign. 
"As your governor, I'll always be honest with you and I'm going to start right now...I love to screw around, and as your governor, I'm gonna screw around...Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some serious partying to do.  There's plenty o' champagne in my limo if any' you ladies are thirsty!"
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/09 at 8:37 pm

So long as you make it clear in your campaign. 
"As your governor, I'll always be honest with you and I'm going to start right now...I love to screw around, and as your governor, I'm gonna screw around...Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some serious partying to do.  There's plenty o' champagne in my limo if any' you ladies are thirsty!"
8)

You got that right.  I would be elected governor running on the ticket of the Party Party.  :P

My cabinet would consist of Lara Spencer as press secretary, and Pat O'Brien as Director of Trim Coordination.

No "Jimmy Swaggart" confession moments for ol' LyricBoy.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/24/09 at 10:04 pm

“I think it would be much better for the country and for him personally (to resign). I come from the business side. If you had a chairman or president in the business world facing these allegations, he’d be gone.”

“The issue of lying is probably the biggest harm, if you will, to the system of Democratic government, representatives government, because it undermines trust. And if you undermine trust in our system, you undermine everything.”

wait, he's a DEMOCRAT that was calling for impeachment?

oh wait... FAUX NEWS... he's really a Republican.  wait, he said Woman right?  now I'm confused...

Wow they did it again, can't say I'm surprised.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/09 at 10:22 pm

Wow they did it again, can't say I'm surprised.  ::)

All I know is that when Clinton was screwing around, it seemed a whole lot dirtier.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sex.gif

Written By: Jessica on 06/24/09 at 11:17 pm

I'd vote for you. ;D

Any pictures of the mistress yet?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/24/09 at 11:40 pm

What do South Carolina and Argentina have in common?

*insert punchline here*

*sigh* Really, the EMA from Republicans in power is so commonplace that I'm jaded.  I've come to expect staggering hypocrisy from the right. Maybe this Argentinian woman wasn't *quite* a woman. THAT would be interesting.

Ant

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/25/09 at 1:33 am

I kind of feel sorry for the guy, even if he is a republican and from South Carolina (hey, I can say that I was born in Myrtle Beach).  ;)

Seriously, we've all had booty calls, myself once back in college days at 2 in the morning, and to the other side of town (and regretted it like you would with most booty calls). But just who is this Argentine woman to have the pull to bring a US State Governor to leave his post, and wife/family for five days, half way down under to the other side of the world...what the hell was he thinking? I'm sorry girls, but no woman is THAT good, this was his own sabotage that he constructed.

And yes, I more than anyone are fully aware that men don't act rationally when the blood isn't all in their brain, so to speak. But a 16-18 hour flight/journey is a looonnng time to not have all your blood in the thinking area of your body, he had other options.

Its not like this was the smartest way to go about it. From what I've read the Sanfords are from the Skil tool fortune, they have plenty of $$. You can't tell me he couldn't of had or afforded to have his mistress fly up to somewhere nearer to him for a more clandestine rendezvous than to have to pull this hiking on the Appellation Trail BS?

I say he WANTED to be found out, people usually do things like this LOOKING to be found out. Subconsciously he wanted to have been found out as a way out of his troubled marriage and he was unable to in his "regular" conservative/republican life, so his subconscious did it for him...

Sorry, but I still believe in some of that Freudian crap, some of it has some basis in life. :-X

Written By: Mushroom on 06/25/09 at 2:11 am

Personally, I could not care much about the affair.

And to be fair about the "hypocracy" thing, he says this started after only a year ago.  So it is not really hypocritical.  It would be if he was having an affair before or during the President Clinton hearings though.  A person can't always tell what will happen over a period of 10 years (hard to believe it was that long ago now).

I do not think he should step down for the affair.  However, he should step down over the issue of useing taxpayer's money on the affair.  That is borderline illegal, and simply wrong to the people of his state and this country.

Much like I never thought President Clinton should have stepped down for the affair, but for purgery.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/25/09 at 2:17 am

That Argentinian broad must something else!  I've heard of sneaking out for a bit of strange, but sneaking out 4000 miles?  Shooo-weee, that's gotta be some fiiiine (shout your mouth)!

Well, having been married to a lady from Buenos Aires since 1985, I have to admit they are special.  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/25/09 at 9:42 am

And to be fair about the "hypocracy" thing, he says this started after only a year ago.  So it is not really hypocritical.  It would be if he was having an affair before or during the President Clinton hearings though.  A person can't always tell what will happen over a period of 10 years (hard to believe it was that long ago now).

No, that is actually the text book definition of hypocrisy.  The length of time from when he said it was wrong to when he started doing it is pretty immaterial, especially when after he does it, he continues to say what he did was wrong.

It's hard to believe it's ten years ago because there isn't a neocon alive that doesn't mention Clinton's impeachment every chance they get. 

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/25/09 at 11:36 am

I'm just glad she's not brazilian ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/25/09 at 12:18 pm

People from Argentina are more conservative and up tight than Brazilians right? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/09 at 12:24 pm

And did you see those gooey emails?  Eeeeeew!!! Icky-out!

No one can read them as well as Keith. I love the background music.  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwKnHvj4_qA

Nothing spells romance like, "I love your tan lines."  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/09 at 12:34 pm

Cat

Full disclosure, that email reminds me of something I wrote in my journal....when I was 15 about a girl I had a crush on!

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/09 at 12:41 pm

Cat

Let's not forget Prince Charles' suave ode to Camilla Parker-Bowles "I want to be your tampoon".

;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/09 at 12:50 pm

No, that is actually the text book definition of hypocrisy.   The length of time from when he said it was wrong to when he started doing it is pretty immaterial, especially when after he does it, he continues to say what he did was wrong.

It's hard to believe it's ten years ago because there isn't a neocon alive that doesn't mention Clinton's impeachment every chance they get. 

I never believed the Republicans actually thought Bill Clinton was doing anything they wouldn't do themselves.  It was quick and dirty utilitarian hypocrisy rather than deep and moral hypocrisy.  

Mushroom is usually a logical guy, but I don't get the logic in saying Sanford would only be a hypocrite if he himself was engaged in infidelity at the time he was condemning Clinton for infidelity.  If I condemn robbing banks the day the bank robber gets arrested and then I start robbing banks eleven years later rather than that same day does the lapse in time expunge the hypocrisy?
???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/09 at 12:52 pm

Sanford mentioned her tan lines, so I wonder if Maria goes Brazilian...or was the governor speaking in metaphor when he said he was going hiking on the Appalachian trail?
:D

Written By: Satish on 06/25/09 at 1:13 pm

Considering he supported Clinton's impeachment for infidelity, I think he needs to resign.

The same goes for Senator Ensign (who also pushed for Clinton's impeachment).

To be fair, the reason people were calling for Clinton to lose the presidency wasn't his affair, but that he committed perjury and obstruction of justice as a result of it. I'd say there was a stronger case for Clinton to lose his job than Sanford, because of all the laws he broke.

Written By: Tia on 06/25/09 at 1:31 pm

To be fair, the reason people were calling for Clinton to lose the presidency wasn't his affair, but that he committed perjury and obstruction of justice as a result of it. I'd say there was a stronger case for Clinton to lose his job than Sanford, because of all the laws he broke.
I always thought that was a BS excuse. Ken starr was completely off the reservatdon (what the hell did lewinsky have to do with whitewater?) and it was pergectly obvious they were trying to destroy his preidency by destrying his marriage. then they cahme up with this sanctimonious perjury trap for him. Xut i can definitely say that before it became clear howentrenched sexual deceneracy has become in the republican partyand they still had the pretense of being the party of family values, they weren't tski tsking about technical perjury in a trivial domestic investigation, they were tsk tsking about cigars and blue dresses. but now that we've all seen how intimately connected republicanism is with perversion and moral decay, they've changed their story and pretend the perjury thing was something other than an excuse to tear the man apart over his personal life. it was a shameless power grab and it almost work, except i think a lot of people endede up wondering if they might have lied in the same circumstance. I know I would. Starr and  his inqidsition didn't deserve the truth. as an investigatory body they just weren't serious or impartialp tell you the truth i'm at a loss to understan how a rught wing extremist and partisan hack like starr ever ended up in a supposedly impartial position anyway.

anyway it's starting to look like this giy broke the law too and it was a REAL law.... if he used public fnds to pay for his little sex romp he should go to jail and be steeply fined. And he should be immediately tossed out as governor for job abandonment. who among us could jusst vanish for five days and keep their jobs? every second he remains in the governors mansion is a slap in the face to the american people.

And I nver wanna hear avy republican ever criticze anyone's morals ever again. the hypocrisy is simply breathtaking.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/25/09 at 1:35 pm

^ iPhone?

I agree, I thought the whole Lewinsky thing was a waste of time and money back then. 

On the other hand, SC dude actually used state funds to go to Argentina if I am to understand this correctly, which means HE actually committed fraud.  All Clinton did was get a hummer, he didn't use extra funds...at least not directly.

Written By: Tia on 06/25/09 at 1:37 pm

^ iPhone?

I agree, I thought the whole Lewinsky thing was a waste of time and money back then. 

On the other hand, SC dude actually used state funds to go to Argentina if I am to understand this correctly, which means HE actually committed fraud.  All Clinton did was get a hummer, he didn't use extra funds...at least not directly.
Im trying to learn the dvorak keyboard.  ;D leads to totally weird typos especially when i get all woorked up and wanna fly into a rant but still gotta be all hintin and peckin...

Written By: Tia on 06/25/09 at 1:45 pm

Cat
Reminds me of that bloom county love poem.

"You're all I sees
boobs butts and knees
be my main squeeze"

Having just ranted about this guy, the olbermann thing made me a little queasy. Remembering how nauseating the public airing of the  monica thing was this would have been a good opportunity to take the high road and let the guy have his privacy while still holding him accountable. But KO, who i eseally quite like, did not go with that option. I've done that lovey dovey talk -- quite recenttly in fact -- and if it were ever aired out and ridiculed like that i literally think it would drive me to despair.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/25/09 at 1:46 pm

Let's not forget Prince Charles' suave ode to Camilla Parker-Bowles "I want to be your tampoon".

;D ;D

I think I'm going to be ill. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puke.gif

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/25/09 at 1:57 pm

It's bugging me that all of the reporters are camped outside his alleged lovers house trying to take her picture.  It was all they could talk about on Good Morning America this morning.  I don't freaking care what she looks like.  And I don't care what their emails said to each other.  It's none of our damn business.  So he had an affair.  If he spent taxpayer money, he should be held accountable for that.  But he's just one of thousands of other politicians that have had affairs and gotten caught.  I am SO over it. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/09 at 2:04 pm

It's bugging me that all of the reporters are camped outside his alleged lovers house trying to take her picture.  It was all they could talk about on Good Morning America this morning.  I don't freaking care what she looks like.  And I don't care what their emails said to each other.  It's none of our damn business.  So he had an affair.  If he spent taxpayer money, he should be held accountable for that.  But he's just one of thousands of other politicians that have had affairs and gotten caught.  I am SO over it. 

Well if the emails were done using the SC government email system, they're fair game.  I agree with whoever earlier posted that Sanford subconsiously "wanted to get caught".  He knows as Governor of the state that all emails are ultimately public record, and if he is (as Max would put it) "looking for some strange" via state email, he's gonna get caught sooner or later.

As for her... seeing as how she was partying with a married man over a long period of time (not just a situation of poor judgement at one weak moment) she can now reap what she has sown...  If you're gonna party hard, prepare for a big hangover, I say...  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/09 at 2:10 pm

What really gets me is that news shows take up the entire time on this BS when they SHOULD be reporting about Iran, North Korea, or even how the fight for health care in Congress is going and 100 more NEWS worthy items. But, we know that a politician having an affair is top priority.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 06/25/09 at 2:56 pm

Mushroom is usually a logical guy, but I don't get the logic in saying Sanford would only be a hypocrite if he himself was engaged in infidelity at the time he was condemning Clinton for infidelity.  If I condemn robbing banks the day the bank robber gets arrested and then I start robbing banks eleven years later rather than that same day does the lapse in time expunge the hypocrisy?
???

What I mean is that a lot of things may have changed in his personal life during those 11 years.

20 years ago, I had a happy marriage.  And would never have thought of cheating on my wife.

15 years ago we had been seperated for a couple of years, and I was living with somebody else.  But we were legally seperated, so neither her nor I consider it "cheating".

The a year ago I reconciled with my wife.  Something I would have told you even a year and a half ago would never have happened.

Things change, circumstances change, people change.  I once swore that I would never smoke, but now I smoke a pack a day.  And I am sure that almost everybody who cheats on their spouse was sure that they would never do that.

I still feel it is wrong to cheat on your spouse.  But I would consider it much harsher if he was cheating at the time he castigated President Clinton, then I do of his cheating a decade later.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/25/09 at 3:16 pm

No, that was the legal EXCUSE they could use for trying to force him out of office. Check out most of the quotes from politicians on the hunt for him, and they read more like the crap I posted from Sanford which are filled with comments about the sanctity of marriage.

I always thought that was a BS excuse. Ken Starr was completely off the reservation (what the hell did Lewinsky have to do with whitewater?) and it was perfectly obvious they were trying to destroy his presidency by destroying his marriage. then they came up with this sanctimonious perjury trap for him.

pretty much dead on. 

Written By: Tia on 06/25/09 at 3:40 pm

What really gets me is that news shows take up the entire time on this BS when they SHOULD be reporting about Iran, North Korea, or even how the fight for health care in Congress is going and 100 more NEWS worthy items. But, we know that a politician having an affair is top priority.  ::)

Cat
But all that's boring and depressing and this involves sex and south aamerica and public weeeping.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/09 at 4:17 pm

But all that's boring and depressing and this involves sex and south aamerica and public weeeping.

The good Governor spent 5 days in Argentina "weeping".

Yeah, right...   ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/09 at 4:30 pm

The good Governor spent 5 days in Argentina "weeping".

Yeah, right...   ::)

Gives new meaning to the term "Don't cry for me Argentina."

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/09 at 4:32 pm

I was kinda amused, a political reported from SC made the remark that "this whole thing is especially surprising given that Sanford was a conservative Republican".  ;D ;D

When will people come to understand that illicit nooky knows no party affiliation or right-left orientation? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/09 at 4:52 pm

... and this from TMZ.com...

"We've been on the hunt in Buenos Aires, Argentina and found the bar where Governor Mark Sanford brought his mistress -- so how do you say PDA in Spanish?

Carlos Soto, the owner of Guido's Bar, says he's seen Sanford and Maria Belen Chapur there several times over the last few months -- most recently last week.

Soto says they were "all over each other" last week in his bar, "kissing, holding hands and drinking wine."

Soto was impressed with Maria, saying she has "un cuerpazo'" -- translation: a banging body. "
  ;D ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/25/09 at 5:41 pm

People from Argentina are more conservative and up tight than Brazilians right?  

Not really.
But if she was brazilian it would be another no end of the "sluts from brazil seducing those good american husbands" headlines.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/25/09 at 5:44 pm

Not really.
But if she was brazilian it would be another no end of the "sluts from brazil seducing those good american husbands" headlines.

Baby, you can seduce me anyday...

...but Jess will probably want to watch :P

Carry on 8)

Written By: Jessica on 06/25/09 at 5:48 pm

Baby, you can seduce me anyday...

...but Jess will probably want to watch :P

Carry on 8)

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/09 at 8:24 pm

I was kinda amused, a political reported from SC made the remark that "this whole thing is especially surprising given that Sanford was a conservative Republican".   ;D ;D

When will people come to understand that illicit nooky knows no party affiliation or right-left orientation? ???

That's the way loudmouth pundits like Limbaugh and Coulter spun it.  It wasn't just Clinton, it's the liberals and Democrats in general.  What Clinton did was diagnosed as a direct result of liberal values and can't you see how the liberals are corrupting our children with their godless sex-crazy hedonism. 

Maybe you're too smart to believe that, but there are tens of millions who are indeed that dumb!
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/25/09 at 10:21 pm

Rice Cube, I like the way you think...  

Written By: Mushroom on 06/25/09 at 10:43 pm

I was kinda amused, a political reported from SC made the remark that "this whole thing is especially surprising given that Sanford was a conservative Republican".   ;D ;D

Honestly, I do not look at such things when it comes to infidelity.

After all, I would not suspect a "Conservitive Republican" is any less likely to cheat then a "Liberal Democrat" being more likely to cheat.  This is an issue that is all about temptation and strength of their own relationship with their spouse, not politics and ideology.

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 5:23 am

well that's the question isn't it? if we do roll call on the pervs and adulterers they seem to actually be skewing right, religious, and particularly among those who love to police the moral lives of others while evidently absolving themselves of any and all trespass. this stuff actually seems to be conspicuously  republican.

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 5:24 am

Rice Cube, I like the way you think...  
if i were you, rice, this would concern me.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/26/09 at 9:30 am

well that's the question isn't it? if we do roll call on the pervs and adulterers they seem to actually be skewing right, religious, and particularly among those who love to police the moral lives of others while evidently absolving themselves of any and all trespass. this stuff actually seems to be conspicuously  republican.

The trend is undeniable.

When you hold others to a set of standards, others will look to see if you measure up to the standards you set for others.  Republicans never shut up about Al Gore's carbon footprint and maybe they have a case if Gore is going to deliver ecological jeremiads.

So it shall be with the party of family values.  It won't stop them since many in their number are sociopaths.  William Bennett blew eight million dollars at Vegas gaming tables and when confronted he scoffed that he didn't "gamble away the milk money."  Speakers Gingrich and Livingston were more honorable men than Clinton because they resigned when they got caught cheating.  Clinton didn't.

Hannity and Coulter just tossed their heads about Sanford and said, "Well, conservatives have standards so we can be judged, liberals have NO standards..."

It's all in the realm of the absurd.

I am loathe to agree with Ben Stein on anything, but as Stein said on Larry King, it's not the sex, it's Sanford's erratic behavior and mental health that concerns me.  If every politician who screws around has to resign, our country will become rudderless.  When Clinton was getting a BJ from an intern, it was right in the Oval Office and he didn't miss a beat. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/26/09 at 10:08 am

Not that there's anything wrong with that... :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/26/09 at 10:09 am

You want hypocrisy?  Obama smokes, yet signs a tobacco-restriction bill into law.

I understand his motives though, took my paternal grandparents years to quit.  My mom's parents never started though, bless them...

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 10:24 am

I am loathe to agree with Ben Stein on anything, but as Stein said on Larry King, it's not the sex, it's Sanford's erratic behavior and mental health that concerns me.  If every politician who screws around has to resign, our country will become rudderless.  When Clinton was getting a BJ from an intern, it was right in the Oval Office and he didn't miss a beat. 
yeah, i mean, the fact that he left his state without a governor for a week should be a concern for anyone who cares about national security. if there had been some sort of crisis in the state, where would we have been? and god help us if a republican had been in the white house, since, as we learned after katrina, republicans dont think the federal government plays any role in a domestic crisis and it all falls on the state and locals to deal with it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/26/09 at 10:49 am

Seems to me that these politicians get wrapped up in their own power, which is an aphrodisiac in itself, so the attraction is the power, and their egos supply the rest.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/09 at 12:24 pm

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/uc/20090626/ljd090626.gif

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 06/26/09 at 12:27 pm

I don't participate in any evil-fests, but they do have some interesting people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU8nhHYlQ-I

Written By: Macphisto on 06/26/09 at 12:30 pm

You want hypocrisy?  Obama smokes, yet signs a tobacco-restriction bill into law.

Good point.

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 1:03 pm

I don't participate in any evil-fests, but they do have some interesting people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU8nhHYlQ-I
"do you think there is anyone in the austrian skinhead community who isn't gay?"

i laughed long and hard at that one. and then i svhpoonked.

gundog actually seems like a likeable bunch of guys, i hate to say. your typical neonazi punks dont wonder, but, hey, what if mum is watching?

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 1:04 pm

"Are you evil?"

"yeah, i suppose i am, yeah."

that's sorta like if you ask a chick whether she came and she goes, "let me think." if you're really evil, you don't have to suppose.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/09 at 1:21 pm

William Bennett blew eight million dollars at Vegas gaming tables and when confronted he scoffed that he didn't "gamble away the milk money." 

What's wrong with Bennett blowing his wad in Vegas?  It did not cuase him to embezzle or otherwise take somebody else's money.

I certainly would not blow my money like that but if that's what he likes to do with his hard-earned money then so be it.

Besides, the casino had to pay taxes on their winnings, to Bennett's gambling was actually to the benefit of The People.  :D

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 1:24 pm

What's wrong with Bennett blowing his wad in Vegas?  It did not cuase him to embezzle or otherwise take somebody else's money.

I certainly would not blow my money like that but if that's what he likes to do with his hard-earned money then so be it.

Besides, the casino had to pay taxes on their winnings, to Bennett's gambling was actually to the benefit of The People.   :D
the problem's not so much with that than with his writing a book called "the book of virtues" -- with, i presume, a straight face -- while being a gambling addict.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/09 at 1:26 pm

the problem's not so much with that than with his writing a book called "the book of virtues" -- with, i presume, a straight face -- while being a gambling addict.

IN his book did he ever claim to be perfect, or ... more to the point... a non-gambler?

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 1:33 pm

IN his book did he ever claim to be perfect, or ... more to the point... a non-gambler?
no, he claimed to know about virtue and be competent to judge the virtue of others.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/09 at 1:38 pm

no, he claimed to know about virtue and be competent to judge the virtue of others.

So what is disvirtuous of somebody gambling their own money away, assuming that (as Bennett has said) he did not "gamble away the milk money"? ???

Written By: Tia on 06/26/09 at 1:55 pm

So what is disvirtuous of somebody gambling their own money away, assuming that (as Bennett has said) he did not "gamble away the milk money"? ???
it's less about the gambling than about whether we're supposed to take his book seriously.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/26/09 at 4:00 pm

if you're really evil, you don't have to suppose.

Just ask Cheney.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/26/09 at 4:17 pm

It was OBAMA'S FAULT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/25/limbaugh-blames-sanfords_n_220993.html

new lows for the "right-wing"

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/09 at 4:44 pm

It was OBAMA'S FAULT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/25/limbaugh-blames-sanfords_n_220993.html

new lows for the "right-wing"

LIMBAUGH: He had just tried to fight the stimulus money coming to South Carolina. He didn't want any part of it. He lost the battle and said "What the hell? The Federal government is taking over! I want to enjoy life!"

That's funny.  I thought his wife had just kicked him out of the house and that's why he headed to South America.  Maybe Michelle O'B put that idea in her head!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/09 at 5:16 pm

LIMBAUGH: He had just tried to fight the stimulus money coming to South Carolina. He didn't want any part of it. He lost the battle and said "What the hell? The Federal government is taking over! I want to enjoy life!"

That's funny.  I thought his wife had just kicked him out of the house and that's why he headed to South America.  Maybe Michelle O'B put that idea in her head!   ;D

Maybe his wife wanted Obama which is WHY she kicked him out.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/26/09 at 5:38 pm

Maybe his wife wanted Obama which is WHY she kicked him out.

Cat

Now THAT would be a political scandal worthy of South Carolina!!!

;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/26/09 at 7:13 pm

Besides, the casino had to pay taxes on their winnings, to Bennett's gambling was actually to the benefit of The People.   :D

Other than what Tia already mentioned, there's the matter of your first sentence.  Eight million bucks?  See, when you got a high roller who drops that big of a load, the casinos like to keep 'em coming back, so extra perks make their way to the gambler courtesy of the joint, you know, a complimentary bottle of champagne, a few lines of coke, some ladies of easy leisure....

Or are you going to tell me Dr. Bennett would blow 200K at the blackjack table and then retire straight to his hotel room for milk and cookies, Gideon's bible, and Davey and Goliath reruns?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brushteeth.gif

Of course, there are other options a virtuous man has with eight million.  Perhaps investing in after-school programs for underprivileged children or something...I dunno, I'm just a stinking degenerate liberal after all!
:P

Subject: Re: Republican South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford admits to extramarital affai

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/27/09 at 7:58 am

Other than what Tia already mentioned, there's the matter of your first sentence.  Eight million bucks?  See, when you got a high roller who drops that big of a load, the casinos like to keep 'em coming back, so extra perks make their way to the gambler courtesy of the joint, you know, a complimentary bottle of champagne, a few lines of coke, some ladies of easy leisure....

Or are you going to tell me Dr. Bennett would blow 200K at the blackjack table and then retire straight to his hotel room for milk and cookies, Gideon's bible, and Davey and Goliath reruns?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brushteeth.gif

So you think he "Did it for the nooky?".  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/09 at 2:44 pm

So you think he "Did it for the nooky?".   ???

He did it because he's a self-indulgent asshole just like so many other men who preached virtue and temperance down through the ages.

Written By: Zeb on 06/27/09 at 9:21 pm

Somebody needs to do "I'm cheating in Argentina" to "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" by Sarah Brightman/Julie Covington/Madonna

Trust me, dude, The Capital Steps, will get right on that!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/09 at 12:05 pm

Trust me, dude, The Capital Steps, will get right on that!

You are so right about that. But they haven't as of yet.

http://www.capsteps.com/

They are great. We go to see them preform every year and I have a whole bunch of their albums.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/28/09 at 12:07 pm

He did it because he's a self-indulgent asshole just like so many other men who preached virtue and temperance down through the ages.

I'm still trying to see what's so aweful about him blowing his wad in Vegas.

Would it somehow have been better if he threw an $8MM party, or bought $8MM worth of crap somewhere? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/09 at 4:22 pm

Would it somehow have been better if he threw an $8MM party, or bought $8MM worth of crap somewhere? ???

It isn't that he did it, it is his holier than though, church going, upright, clean living attitude.  There are people idiotic enough to do something like this, my question is "Was he a big tipper, or did he stiff the waitstaff?"

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/28/09 at 4:32 pm

It isn't that he did it, it is his holier than though, church going, upright, clean living attitude.  There are people idiotic enough to do something like this, my question is "Was he a big tipper, or did he stiff the waitstaff?"

We all need a little "sin" in our lives. When we accept that we can really live the best life we can 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/09 at 4:39 pm

We all need a little "sin" in our lives. When we accept that we can really live the best life we can 8)

Of course that all depends on your definition of "sin"  ::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/28/09 at 5:00 pm

Are we in a bad mood,Danoota? :D

The " " is there for a reason, i meant the "Christian sins".

Written By: Macphisto on 06/28/09 at 9:58 pm

I don't believe in sin, but I think it can be clearly said that cheating on your spouse is a bad thing.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/28/09 at 11:05 pm

And besides, this isn't about Bill Bennett's gambling habit.  This is about Gov. Sanford blowing his wad in Argentina!

Can ya really blame Fox?  "Politician banging a woman on the side?  She's of age?  Gotta be a Democrat!  A real Republican would never do such a thing!"

Even FOX got caught unaware by the first part of the Republican Party's comeback strategy -- first order of business in a Presidential campaign is always to straighten out one's affairs.

Actually, I'll give Sanford a little smidgeon of respect -- unlike his fellow bi...bipartisan (hah, you thought I was gonna go there) political adulterers, his emails actually hint that he might have actually given a damn about his mistress as something other than a piece of ass, which is more than I can say for Spitzer.

None of which prevents me from laughing my ass off at the situation.

(Gov. Sanford Manages to Make Adultery Boring)

Finally, time for Something Positive.  (Safe for work graphic, but some naughty words.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/09 at 11:54 pm

For a devout Christian like Bennett, you'd expect "a little sin" to be playing penny ante poker with the fellas from the grange, not throwing away in Sin City enough money to feed half the children in Africa.

Bennett's "milk money" statement indicates his ultimately classist attitude.  It's not about principals, it's about what you can afford. 

Speaking of double standards, the Republican attitude towards Sanford is "Give a guy a break, we're all sinners."  Quite a bit different from Clinton, the moral decline and fall of these United States!

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/29/09 at 8:27 am

And besides, this isn't about Bill Bennett's gambling habit.  This is about Gov. Sanford blowing his wad in Argentina!

Sanford went gambling there too?  ???  Didn't read about that part.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/29/09 at 8:32 am

Sanford went gambling there too?  ???  Didn't read about that part.

Money is not the wad to which he was referring.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/29/09 at 9:45 am

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/political-pictures-mark-sanford-apologize-wife.jpg?w=500&h=332

Written By: danootaandme on 06/29/09 at 11:10 am

Are we in a bad mood,Danoota? :D

My tongue can usually found in my cheek  ;)

Written By: philbo on 06/29/09 at 11:38 am

You want hypocrisy?  Obama smokes, yet signs a tobacco-restriction bill into law.

I understand his motives though, took my paternal grandparents years to quit.  My mom's parents never started though, bless them...

So why call it hypocrisy, then?  Surely a better description is "learning from experience"?

My tongue can usually found in my cheek  ;)

Whose?

<exits quickly out the back door>

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/29/09 at 11:39 am

So why call it hypocrisy, then?  Surely a better description is "learning from experience"?

That would depend on your perspective, no?  8)

Written By: philbo on 06/29/09 at 2:35 pm

Personally, I'd prefer to see a levelling of the playing field between tobacco, alcohol and all the other dodgy substances that can do your head in & kill you - that would be the only truly non-hypocritical way to behave.

But I don't see anything remotely hypocritical in an addict trying to prevent others from becoming addicted to the same drug: it's not even a matter of perspective.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/29/09 at 3:20 pm

Personally, I'd prefer to see a levelling of the playing field between tobacco, alcohol and all the other dodgy substances that can do your head in & kill you - that would be the only truly non-hypocritical way to behave.

But I don't see anything remotely hypocritical in an addict trying to prevent others from becoming addicted to the same drug: it's not even a matter of perspective.

Obama is doing a very noble thing, but the fact that he hasn't actually quit leaves him open to criticism from people who do not have your shimmering perspective.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/29/09 at 3:45 pm

Obama is doing a very noble thing, but the fact that he hasn't actually quit leaves him open to criticism from people who do not have your shimmering perspective.

I don't have any problem with O'bama's thoughts on tabakky. He has been open about his trouble with it and he has told people that smoking is bad.  I see that as plenty of disclosure and admitting that it is an insidious product.

What I DO have a problem with is the "ban on advertising" in certain venues.  As long as tobacco is a legal activity, advertising should not be banned.  I see this as a violation of Freedom of Speech.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/29/09 at 3:47 pm

I don't have any problem with O'bama's thoughts on tabakky. He has been open about his trouble with it and he has told people that smoking is bad.  I see that as plenty of disclosure and admitting that it is an insidious product.

What I DO have a problem with is the "ban on advertising" in certain venues.  As long as tobacco is a legal activity, advertising should not be banned.  I see this as a violation of Freedom of Speech.

Fair enough 8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/29/09 at 3:52 pm

Money is not the wad to which he was referring.

Oh.  I see now.  :-[

Written By: philbo on 06/29/09 at 5:19 pm

Surely there are plenty of things that are legal yet harmful, in which case adverts explicitly trying to turn people down a path of self-harm are not a good idea, even if outright illegality is not either?  Should it be legal to advertise glue-sniffing, given that the glue is legal?  Or what about guns... maybe I'd better not go there.

Advertising is about trying to make people do things that they otherwise would not.  It is probably every bit as harmful to society as tobacco or harder drugs.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/29/09 at 5:30 pm

Whose?

<exits quickly out the back door>

LOL ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/29/09 at 6:41 pm

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/political-pictures-mark-sanford-fox-news.jpg?w=500&h=412

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/29/09 at 6:51 pm

Surely there are plenty of things that are legal yet harmful, in which case adverts explicitly trying to turn people down a path of self-harm are not a good idea, even if outright illegality is not either?  Should it be legal to advertise glue-sniffing, given that the glue is legal?  Or what about guns... maybe I'd better not go there.

Advertising is about trying to make people do things that they otherwise would not.  It is probably every bit as harmful to society as tobacco or harder drugs.

Advertising tobacco products for their LEGAL use should not be prohibited, as it is not a solicitation to commit a crime and thus cannot be considered part of a criminal act - conspiracy.

Advertising glue sniffing would be promoting and soliciting criminal acts, which is conspiracy and a felony.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/09 at 7:34 pm

Advertising tobacco products for their LEGAL use should not be prohibited, as it is not a solicitation to commit a crime and thus cannot be considered part of a criminal act - conspiracy.

Advertising glue sniffing would be promoting and soliciting criminal acts, which is conspiracy and a felony.

If insufflation was a sanctioned use of airplane glue, advertising it as such would be tantamount to advertising cigarettes for smoking.  That is, cigarettes, even when used as directed, are dangerous to your health and potentially lethal. 

I'm not saying cigarette advertising should be banned, merely that it is advertising of poison for human consumption.

Written By: philbo on 06/30/09 at 3:58 am

You're still trying to make someone do something that he/she wouldn't otherwise do that you know to cause harm - it's not solicitation to commit a crime, but it is actively inciting someone to cause harm to themselves.  Note that I'm not saying that tobacco should be made illegal: I think people have a right to do what they like with their bodies, yet actively promoting this simply a way to get more addicts hooked.

Is sniffing glue a criminal offence over there, then?  'Cause it's not here - does this mean you'd be happy for glue-sniffing adverts on this side of the pond?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/09 at 9:07 am

Is sniffing glue a criminal offence over there, then?  'Cause it's not here - does this mean you'd be happy for glue-sniffing adverts on this side of the pond?

Slightly off topic but I'll post this anyway.  In addition to glue sniffing you also have "huffing" which is the inhalation of aerosol products.  There was a kid who was working a summer job at my local high school who went missing.  Nobody could find him for like a month or so.

Eventually the cafeteria ladies were getting ready for the new school year to start and ventured into the walk-in freezer.  There sat this kid, frozen solid, with a can of Pam anti-stick spray by his side.  He huffed the stuff until he was snuffed.  Given that he was in a subzero freezer, he was remarkably well preserved.

Written By: philbo on 06/30/09 at 9:23 am

Could have been worse: he might have tried solvent abuse while smoking at the same time... (been there, done that).  Though that would definitely not have been as cool.  So to speak.

Written By: Tia on 06/30/09 at 3:14 pm

This just in.  ::)

http://wonkette.com/409584/sanford-talks-of-soul-mate-other-ladies-in-most-embarrassing-interview-yet#more-409584

Turns out this dude is a total man slut. And on another note, ds there a singe political wife out there with an ounce of self-esteem. If I were this beanpole's wife I'd have bobbitted his sorry ass straight away.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/09 at 3:22 pm

This just in.  ::)

http://wonkette.com/409584/sanford-talks-of-soul-mate-other-ladies-in-most-embarrassing-interview-yet#more-409584

Turns out this dude is a total man slut. And on another note, ds there a singe political wife out there with an ounce of self-esteem. If I were this beanpole's wife I'd have bobbitted his sorry ass straight away.

Yes after reading the news article, he certainly is a slut, no doubt about that.

I hope his wife in the divorce proceedings pumps everything she can get out of him.  What a scum bag.  >:(

Written By: Tia on 06/30/09 at 3:26 pm

I think she said they're gonna try ani stay together. Which makes me kinda crazy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/09 at 3:28 pm

I think she said they're gonna try ani stay together. Which makes me kinda crazy.

Maybe she's just trying to lure him in for a Bobbitectomy.  ;D

Written By: Macphisto on 06/30/09 at 4:58 pm

You're still trying to make someone do something that he/she wouldn't otherwise do that you know to cause harm - it's not solicitation to commit a crime, but it is actively inciting someone to cause harm to themselves.  Note that I'm not saying that tobacco should be made illegal: I think people have a right to do what they like with their bodies, yet actively promoting this simply a way to get more addicts hooked.

Is sniffing glue a criminal offence over there, then?  'Cause it's not here - does this mean you'd be happy for glue-sniffing adverts on this side of the pond?

Well, we could always opt for the straight up nanny state.

We could ban advertising of alcohol, tobacco, prescription drugs, fast food, guns, silverware, violent video games, violent movies, risque movies, condoms, etc.  Any one of those items can either be abused or construed as encouraging risky or unhealthy behavior.

Written By: philbo on 06/30/09 at 5:59 pm

Well, we could always opt for the straight up nanny state.

We could ban advertising of alcohol, tobacco, prescription drugs, fast food, guns, silverware, violent video games, violent movies, risque movies, condoms, etc.  Any one of those items can either be abused or construed as encouraging risky or unhealthy behavior.

Wrong.  These are not equivalents: cigarette smoking is proven beyond all reasonable doubt to cause health problems and a reduction in life expectancy.  Guns also cause a reduction in life expectancy, and I'd be surprised to see adverts for Kalashnikovs (or even Magnums) in the ad breaks during Dirty Harry.  The rest of your list is different in that it is either completely frivolous or merely open to abuse - if you can't see the difference between this and things that are proven to cause harm as part of their normal usage, there's no point in taking this any further.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/09 at 6:08 pm

Yes after reading the news article, he certainly is a slut, no doubt about that.

I hope his wife in the divorce proceedings pumps everything she can get out of him. 

That's what the broad from Argentina was doing!

:-\\

Written By: Macphisto on 06/30/09 at 6:27 pm

Wrong.  These are not equivalents: cigarette smoking is proven beyond all reasonable doubt to cause health problems and a reduction in life expectancy.  Guns also cause a reduction in life expectancy, and I'd be surprised to see adverts for Kalashnikovs (or even Magnums) in the ad breaks during Dirty Harry.  The rest of your list is different in that it is either completely frivolous or merely open to abuse - if you can't see the difference between this and things that are proven to cause harm as part of their normal usage, there's no point in taking this any further.

How far along proven does something have to be for this logic to apply?  Studies have shown that violent video games encourage violence among kids just like violence on TV desensitizes adults.  A British study found that sex in media encourages promiscuity among teens.

Fast food has been proven to cause heart disease and various other problems if you eat enough of it without exercising regularly.

Various prescription drugs are abused at levels comparable to that of illegal drugs, depending on the substance and what illegal drug you compare it to.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/09 at 9:33 pm

How far along proven does something have to be for this logic to apply?  Studies have shown that violent video games encourage violence among kids just like violence on TV desensitizes adults.  A British study found that sex in media encourages promiscuity among teens.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/29/us/politics/sanford190.jpg

I WANT MY MTV!!!

Written By: philbo on 07/01/09 at 1:58 am

How far along proven does something have to be for this logic to apply?  Studies have shown that violent video games encourage violence among kids just like violence on TV desensitizes adults.

No they haven't - I've seen lots of articles which state this, but no research that shows even a decent correlation let alone any proof of causality.  I even wrote a song about it

A British study found that sex in media encourages promiscuity among teens.

This relates to advertising of things that can harm you exactly how?

Fast food has been proven to cause heart disease and various other problems if you eat enough of it without exercising regularly.

Which is a strong argument for banning advertising of fast foods (especially those ads targetted at children)

Various prescription drugs are abused at levels comparable to that of illegal drugs, depending on the substance and what illegal drug you compare it to.

So to be consistent, we ought to legalize the illegal drugs, but not allow advertising of them.  Hold on a sec.. that's what I've been saying for years.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/01/09 at 5:28 pm

No they haven't - I've seen lots of articles which state this, but no research that shows even a decent correlation let alone any proof of causality.  I even wrote a song about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_violence_research

This relates to advertising of things that can harm you exactly how?

Being more sexually active leads to a higher risk of VDs.  Content of programs works in much the same way as ads.

Which is a strong argument for banning advertising of fast foods (especially those ads targetted at children)

Well, at least we can agree on this point.

So to be consistent, we ought to legalize the illegal drugs, but not allow advertising of them.  Hold on a sec.. that's what I've been saying for years.

This is the first time I've heard it from you.  Remember, I haven't been on this forum for very long.

Nevertheless, do you see it as the government's job to control advertizing?  I don't.  I think the FCC should be disbanded, personally.

Written By: philbo on 07/02/09 at 1:53 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_violence_research

OK, I'll rephrase: most research shows no correlation; no research shows causality; even the research that purports to show correlation is disputed.

Being more sexually active leads to a higher risk of VDs.  Content of programs works in much the same way as ads.

Content of programs are not the same: advertising is where clever people try and work out how to get as many others as possible to do something they would not otherwise do.  It is not a subliminal side-effect of whatever a writer decides to put into a programme.

This is the first time I've heard it from you.  Remember, I haven't been on this forum for very long.

Didn't realize you were that much of a newbie... seems like we've been arguing for ages ;)

Nevertheless, do you see it as the government's job to control advertizing?  I don't.  I think the FCC should be disbanded, personally.

It should be the government's job to set the limits in law of what can and can't be advertised: free speech is limited by the necessity not to call "fire" in a crowded theatre.. advertising isn't "free speech", it's closer to the theatre metaphor: trying to get people to do something that will be harmful to them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/09 at 11:16 am

This guy Sanford is what we Picksburghers would call a real "jag off".

Whatever miniscule chance he had to revive his political career hit the dustbin when he talked to the press about his Argentin bim being his coule mate, and how he "almost crossed the line" with a flock of other nubile trollops.

At this point his wife needs to file for divorce and take him for all he's got.

Written By: philbo on 07/02/09 at 11:34 am

Looking at him, if he "almost crossed the line" with a flock of nubile trollops, that must be one of the best bits of advertising for politics, ever...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/09 at 2:48 pm

This guy Sanford is what we Picksburghers would call a real "jag off".

Whatever miniscule chance he had to revive his political career hit the dustbin when he talked to the press about his Argentin bim being his coule mate, and how he "almost crossed the line" with a flock of other nubile trollops.

At this point his wife needs to file for divorce and take him for all he's got.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.  If I were Sanford, I'd put all my bread in a Swiss bank account and pack my bags for Buenos Aires!

As a conservative Republican, Sanford is being hoisted on his petard.  In other cultures, it is perfectly acceptable--even expected--for a politician to have a mistress.  Francois Mitterand's mistress and their bastard children attended Mitterand's funeral along with his wife and the kids he had with her.  This was no biggie to the French.

However, American conservative Christians put a huge premium on marital fidelity -- and even more on not getting caught.  The Republicans have used "family values" as both a scepter and a cudgel and so when they themselves are found wanting by their own standards, the public has no sympathy.

Bill Clinton might have fooled around and got caught lying about it, but he wasn't trying to instruct everybody else on personal virtues. 

(Unfortunately, the "mistress" tradition is part and parcel of patriarchy.)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/09 at 4:08 pm

Francois Mitterand's mistress and their bastard children attended Mitterand's funeral along with his wife and the kids he had with her.  This was no biggie to the French.

I know you were being sarky, but I hate this

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/09 at 5:31 pm

Francois Mitterand's mistress and their bastard children attended Mitterand's funeral along with his wife and the kids he had with her.  This was no biggie to the French.

Yeah but the French are all pretty much bastards anyway.  So it was a non-event.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/09 at 6:42 pm

I know you were being sarky, but I hate this

I thought "illegitimate" would throw off my rhythm!
:-[

Written By: Tia on 07/02/09 at 9:31 pm

is "bastard" a PC yellow flag? i didn't even know.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/09 at 10:20 pm

is "bastard" a PC yellow flag? i didn't even know.

Bastard is considered derogatory and we no longer wish to stigmatize children born out of wedlock in contemporary society.  Now, 'scuse me, I gotta go call my baby-mama!

Anyway, this guy Sanford, speaking of bastards, he's got some kind of a narcissistic complex.  He's talking like the back cover of a Harlequin Romance, "A forbidden love story at the end of the day..."

May the ghost of Strom Thurmond kick him square in the nuts!
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/09 at 8:55 am

May the ghost of Strom Thurmond kick him square in the nuts!
8)

I think that Jenny Sanford is gonna beat ol' Strom to it.  News accounts indicate that the Guv is meeting up with the wifey in Florida, at the house of his IN-LAWS.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that house today.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/09 at 1:51 pm

I think that Jenny Sanford is gonna beat ol' Strom to it.  News accounts indicate that the Guv is meeting up with the wifey in Florida, at the house of his IN-LAWS.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that house today.   ;D

IN-LAWS are gonna kick his ass.  He won't be able to sit for months.

Written By: Tia on 07/03/09 at 2:06 pm

Bastard is considered derogatory and we no longer wish to stigmatize children born out of wedlock in contemporary society. 

hmm, i wonder about this, because i don't really think kids born out of wedlock really ARE stigmatized now, at least not the way they used to be or for the reasons they used to be. it's a living language and the word "bastard" doesn't really connote what it used to. in fact, to object to its use based on an archaic meaning is, paradoxically, to help keep that meaning alive.

http://www.dailyushistory.com/Images/1870_two_cents_rev.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 07/03/09 at 4:21 pm

hmm, i wonder about this, because i don't really think kids born out of wedlock really ARE stigmatized now, at least not the way they used to be or for the reasons they used to be. it's a living language and the word "bastard" doesn't really connote what it used to. in fact, to object to its use based on an archaic meaning is, paradoxically, to help keep that meaning alive.

http://www.dailyushistory.com/Images/1870_two_cents_rev.jpg

Well, if I called you a bastard it would be one thing(but I won't cause I do like you) but to say "bastard children" is another thing all together. 

Written By: Macphisto on 07/06/09 at 5:57 pm

It should be the government's job to set the limits in law of what can and can't be advertised: free speech is limited by the necessity not to call "fire" in a crowded theatre.. advertising isn't "free speech", it's closer to the theatre metaphor: trying to get people to do something that will be harmful to them.

Good analogy...  I hadn't really thought of it that way.

Well, if it's any consolation, I do support heavy regulation on what can and can't be advertized to kids.  Currently, there are many studies showing that kids are extremely susceptible to advertizing.  I think there's a good reason Europe limits advertizing among children's programming.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/06/09 at 9:05 pm

Well, if I called you a bastard it would be one thing(but I won't cause I do like you) but to say "bastard children" is another thing all together. 

Tongue-in-cheek...our boy was almost a bastard child but we got married at the last minute ;D

All kidding aside, as long as the kids are taken care of, I don't know if it matters that they're bastards or not, they at least know that someone loves them...right?  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 07/06/09 at 9:33 pm

but if the stigma no longer exists the way it used to, does objecting to the term as though it still had its former power actually run the rdsk of restoring some of that negative power to it? maoybe it's better to allow it to have its current status as a term no one takes very seriously.

Written By: philbo on 07/07/09 at 5:05 am

Good analogy...  I hadn't really thought of it that way.

:)  Thanks.

Well, if it's any consolation, I do support heavy regulation on what can and can't be advertized to kids.  Currently, there are many studies showing that kids are extremely susceptible to advertizing.  I think there's a good reason Europe limits advertizing among children's programming.

It's true: speaking as one with four children, advertisers can make parents' lives absolute hell...

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/09 at 7:16 am

:)  Thanks.
It's true: speaking as one with four children, advertisers can make parents' lives absolute hell...

They should ban those Pepto Bismol commercials where they do the "Pepto Dance".

I was shopping at the Giant Iggle in Picksburgh yesterday, and this young mother her two kids in tow who would not stop "doing the dance" and of course at the end of each performance they gleefully shouted "di-A-reeeee-AHHHH" !

;D ;D

Written By: philbo on 07/07/09 at 7:39 am

I was shopping at the Giant Iggle in Picksburgh yesterday, and this young mother her two kids in tow who would not stop "doing the dance" and of course at the end of each performance they gleefully shouted "di-A-reeeee-AHHHH" !

;D ;D

That's not one I know.  Thankfully, from the sound of it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/07/09 at 8:02 am

me either... I barely watch commercials anymore thanks to my DVR.  The other day I watched something (one of those clean up programs with the woman from Reno 911) and had to leave the room during the commercial breaks, they are just that obnoxious.  I think Meat Loaf singing to a bottle of A1 sauce was probably one of the worst things I had to witness.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/09 at 8:13 am

Here are some versions, to get you up to speed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBaM84BAiXs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghJuH6GSCo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mK9UtYguNI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgJw_GrLOs&NR=1

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/07/09 at 8:18 am

wow... that's really lame.  I wish I could get that minute back of my life >grin<

Written By: philbo on 07/07/09 at 10:50 am

If that's not an argument against free speech and especially advertising, I don't know what is ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/09 at 12:23 pm

;D ;D

As we all figure out early in life: Sh*t jokes are fun!
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...