» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Madoff Gets 150 Years

Written By: danootaandme on 06/29/09 at 11:00 am

www.money.cnn.com/2009/06/29/news/economy/madoff_prison_sentence/?postversion=2009062911

http://www.petswelcome.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/fireworks.jpg

Subject: Re: Madoff Gets 150 Years

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/29/09 at 11:22 am

Michael Bolton: We get caught laundering money, we're not going to white-collar resort prison. No, no, no. We're going to federal POUND ME IN THE ASS prison.
Samir: I don't want to go to ANY prison!

Written By: Jessica on 06/29/09 at 11:23 am

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq142/dudereally/muntz.gif

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/29/09 at 12:23 pm

Burn Bernie, Burn.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/29/09 at 5:55 pm

In honor of Bernie, I dedicate this song to him.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Qh5gc6-J4&feature=related

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/29/09 at 6:05 pm

Q: So When will Madoff be eligible for parole?

A: Let's see, today's Monday...  NEVER!

Frankly, I say we should put'em to work cleaning the prison kitchen/bathroom and say he can get out when he's earned enough money to pay back the billions he stole. :D Sound good?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/09 at 7:36 pm

He says he's sorry, and I don't doubt he is...that is, he's sorry he's going to prison until he dies.

Maybe he'll do the Ken Lay exit dose!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/30/09 at 5:16 am

I'd rather that didn't happen, and I really wish that he had to do the time in Walpole.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/09 at 6:21 am

The fellow prisoners have better watch out for any financial svaing schemes in prison.

Written By: Paul on 06/30/09 at 6:50 am

Michael Bolton: We get caught laundering money, we're not going to white-collar resort prison. No, no, no. We're going to federal POUND ME IN THE ASS prison.

Not that Michael Bolton, I presume?  :o

(Mind you, for his crimes against music, that wouldn't be a bad idea!  ;))

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/09 at 8:46 am

He says he's sorry, and I don't doubt he is...that is, he's sorry he's going to prison until he dies.

Or maybe they put him on the Richard Speck program ???

Wow, I just Googled Speck and he was only 49 when he bit it...  He sure looked alot older than that.

Written By: Tia on 06/30/09 at 9:02 am

oh oh better not let him hear you ask that; it's a touchy subject.  ;D

madoff screwed up when he stole from rich people. if he stole from regular people like you and me he'd be getting a bailout right now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/09 at 9:10 am

oh oh better not let him hear you ask that; it's a touchy subject.  ;D

madoff screwed up when he stole from rich people. if he stole from regular people like you and me he'd be getting a bailout right now.

Madoff's big "sell" was that he was letting his clients/friends "in on a great deal" that mere mortals could not get in on.  It is the oldest trick in the book, like the guy selling cheap Rolexes out of the trunk of his car.

His victims were typically intelligent, well-educated, successful people, who tossed all of their intelligence to the wind in order to "make the big score".  Future scammers could do well by learning Madoff's techniques, as his victims were generally not unsophisticated rubes.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/30/09 at 10:54 am

We had a United Nations ambassador name Michael Bolton.  His name was spelled just like the other guy  T-W-I-T

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/30/09 at 11:09 am

The fellow prisoners have better watch out for any financial svaing schemes in prison.

He'll be the prisons darling, and not it that way :-X

If America is anything like Brazil he'll have the best individual cell with all facilities and perks. Rich people "doing time" is a joke.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/30/09 at 11:18 am

If you've ever had to work in an office with evil demon bosses, I recommend you watch "Office Space" :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/09 at 2:13 pm

He'll be the prisons darling, and not it that way :-X

If America is anything like Brazil he'll have the best individual cell with all facilities and perks. Rich people "doing time" is a joke.

That mofo better hope that wherever he goes, the warden was not anybody he screwed over.  ;D

Written By: Macphisto on 06/30/09 at 5:00 pm

Public execution would've been the best route in dealing with Madoff (and with the scumbags running Citigroup, Bear Stearns, etc.).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/30/09 at 5:04 pm

Public execution would've been the best route in dealing with Madoff (and with the scumbags running Citigroup, Bear Stearns, etc.).

Seems a bit harsh...he just stole a buttload of money, it's not like he raped puppies and children :P

Written By: Macphisto on 06/30/09 at 5:07 pm

Seems a bit harsh...he just stole a buttload of money, it's not like he raped puppies and children :P

People always talk about how the death penalty is a deterrent for violent crime.  I don't think it is.

However, since most corporate crime is premeditated, I think the death penalty would work wonders in decreasing things like embezzlement.

One of the main reasons people like Madoff do their thing is because they know we're easy on white collar crime.  We should be harsher on it than violent crime, in my opinion, because it often does more harm to our society as a whole than most violent crime.

A single murder affects a family and a circle of friends.  What Madoff did affected millions of people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/09 at 5:56 pm

People always talk about how the death penalty is a deterrent for violent crime.  I don't think it is.

However, since most corporate crime is premeditated, I think the death penalty would work wonders in decreasing things like embezzlement.

One of the main reasons people like Madoff do their thing is because they know we're easy on white collar crime.  We should be harsher on it than violent crime, in my opinion, because it often does more harm to our society as a whole than most violent crime.

A single murder affects a family and a circle of friends.  What Madoff did affected millions of people.

I agree, except I'm against the death penalty.  For a long time in this country white collar crime was not regarded as real crime.  You didn't have to be scared of a Michael Milken or a Charles Keating jumping you in the alley.  However, as you point out, white collar crime really does injure people.  What's more, even if we were not directly injured by Madoff's crimes, his crimes break down the level of trust we have in our society, which hurts us all in the long run. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/30/09 at 6:23 pm

In my opinion the sentence is kind of stupid.  I mean 150 years.  The man won't even make it 20.  Why don't they just give him the noose, that obviously what people want and forget the 150.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/09 at 9:37 pm

In my opinion the sentence is kind of stupid.  I mean 150 years.  The man won't even make it 20.  Why don't they just give him the noose, that obviously what people want and forget the 150.

Okay, but you have to kick the chair out from under him!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hanged.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/01/09 at 3:49 pm

Okay, but you have to kick the chair out from under him!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hanged.gif

I'd probably get trampled on by dozen of people who want to do it.  My point is this, yes people are out for his blood and perhaps they have the right to be.  However he is only going to live about 20 years or less so what's the point of 150?  If it's to satisfy the victims perhaps they should be aware that no human is able to serve out that sentence.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/01/09 at 4:31 pm

I'd probably get trampled on by dozen of people who want to do it.  My point is this, yes people are out for his blood and perhaps they have the right to be.  However he is only going to live about 20 years or less so what's the point of 150?  If it's to satisfy the victims perhaps they should be aware that no human is able to serve out that sentence.

They should put him in the pound-me-in-the-ass prison rather than the resort prison.  Then it might make the victims feel better :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/09 at 4:47 pm

Perhaps an adjustment needs to be made to the justice system.

For older convicts such as Madoff, where they will not really spend that many years in jail, why not make the prison time more "painful"?  Maybe he gets assigned to hard labor, clearing out swamps or some such job.  So that while his incarcertaion may not be long, it would be "quality time" from the perspective of his victims.  :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/01/09 at 4:50 pm

Perhaps an adjustment needs to be made to the justice system.

For older convicts such as Madoff, where they will not really spend that many years in jail, why not make the prison time more "painful"?  Maybe he gets assigned to hard labor, clearing out swamps or some such job.  So that while his incarcertaion may not be long, it would be "quality time" from the perspective of his victims.   :D

That was sort of what I was thinking.  Nothing like seeing a man like him peeling potatoes or scrubbing down bathrooms.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/09 at 5:14 pm

That was sort of what I was thinking.  Nothing like seeing a man like him peeling potatoes or scrubbing down bathrooms.

Of course we could always just put his 'nards in a vise...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/01/09 at 5:18 pm

But Cheney says we don't torture and he's never wrong.  We can send him to Syria and they can do it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/09 at 7:49 pm

I'd probably get trampled on by dozen of people who want to do it.  My point is this, yes people are out for his blood and perhaps they have the right to be.  However he is only going to live about 20 years or less so what's the point of 150?  If it's to satisfy the victims perhaps they should be aware that no human is able to serve out that sentence.

I would say the sentence serves as a legal precedent and a statement about the crimes.  It also sets his lawyers at a disadvantage in the appeals process.  If they gave him 20 years, his attorneys could conceivably whittle it down to 5 years on appeal.  Starting from 150 years, they might cut it down to 25 years, but that would still ensure a guy Madoff's age would die in prison.    

The thing they're not doing is investigating the SEC bureaucracy.  The Securities and Exchange Commission was warned about Madoff several times.  "Hey, look at this guy, he was the chairman of NASDAQ, and he's up to no good!"  The SEC stuck its fingers in its ears and went "Blah blah blah blah blah, I am not listening to you!"  Somebody needs to get nailed for negligence, if not accessory.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/09 at 8:01 pm

They should put him in the pound-me-in-the-ass prison rather than the resort prison.  Then it might make the victims feel better :D

Shoot, with the sh*t Madoff knows how to pull, he could exchange tips for protection. 

All Madoff has to do is say to the top gangster and say, "What do you wanna do when you get outta here, go back to knocking over grocery stores change?  Lemme show you how to steal some REAL money!"

Then nobody would lay a hand on him. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/09 at 8:04 pm

But Cheney says we don't torture and he's never wrong.  We can send him to Syria and they can do it.

Well, I did not say that we would squeeze the vise all THAT hard...  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/09 at 3:04 am

The thing they're not doing is investigating the SEC bureaucracy.  The Securities and Exchange Commission was warned about Madoff several times.  "Hey, look at this guy, he was the chairman of NASDAQ, and he's up to no good!"  The SEC stuck its fingers in its ears and went "Blah blah blah blah blah, I am not listening to you!"  Somebody needs to get nailed for negligence, if not accessory.

And the ironic thing is that we're expected to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain at the SEC, nor the fact that he was married to Madoff's niece, but instead supposed to merely...

http://lolfed.com/wp-content/uploads/madoff-sentenced.jpg

:)

...but to get serious for a moment, these are the sorts of things that happen when the Aristocracy of Pull meets the Moratorium on Brains, and this decade saw the worst of both of those phenomena. 

For crimes against capitalism, this one's for you, Bernie.  A quick execution's too good for him.  I hope he dies of boredom, and that the rest of his family dies of old age, having spent the rest of their lives in the most miserable grinding poverty imaginable.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/09 at 7:01 pm

And the ironic thing is that we're expected to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain at the SEC, nor the fact that he was married to Madoff's niece, but instead supposed to merely...

...but to get serious for a moment, these are the sorts of things that happen when the Aristocracy of Pull meets the Moratorium on Brains, and this decade saw the worst of both of those phenomena. 

For crimes against capitalism, this one's for you, Bernie.  A quick execution's too good for him.  I hope he dies of boredom, and that the rest of his family dies of old age, having spent the rest of their lives in the most miserable grinding poverty imaginable.

Crimes against capitalism?  That's like saying "crimes against murder." 

Oh well, I guess I'll always be a rock-throwing Red!
;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/06/09 at 5:06 am

Samir: I don't want to go to ANY prison!

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1999/images/officespace_lawrence.jpg

"Hey, Bernie! Watch out for your cornhole, buddy."

Written By: Tia on 07/06/09 at 8:52 am

this aristocracy of pull character would seem to want to pin this whole debacle on the labor unions and democrats. How would he account for the fact that the bailouts originated under bush? and since when have unions had a vested interest in bailing out management and executives? if the bailouts are simply intended to forestall inevitable bankruptcy long enough for the kleptocrats to line their pockets, what interest would the unions have in participating? and how would this author account for the concossions labor made in order to try and keep the companies afloat?

Edit: How the heck does THIS work?

We desperately need a constitutional amendment to to divorce the State from any form of economic activity, whether by printing money, taxation of business activity, regulating business operations, or government ownership of *any* activity outside it’s essential functions of protecting individual rights — the courts, police and national defense.

Talk about having to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber!  ;D

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/06/09 at 10:42 am

Not that Michael Bolton, I presume?  :o
(Mind you, for his crimes against music, that wouldn't be a bad idea!  ;))

Is anyone here aware that our ambassador's name is John Bolton?

You're throwing mud the wrong guy! (Well, throwing deserved mud, but for the wrong reasons!)

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/06/09 at 12:15 pm

Is anyone here aware that our ambassador's name is John Bolton?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Does anybody care?

Written By: Tia on 07/06/09 at 12:20 pm

Is that lunatic still UN ambassador? michael bolton could do a better job.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/06/09 at 6:02 pm

^ No, he wasn't able to be reconfirmed.  One of the only instances of the Republicans not doing the lock step.  That says a lot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/09 at 9:18 pm

^ No, he wasn't able to be reconfirmed.  One of the only instances of the Republicans not doing the lock step.  That says a lot.

Now he's a "FOX News contributor" along with Karl, Newt, Ollie, and all them swell guys!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/25/09 at 11:41 pm

"Well, when you steal $7 million, you can just disappear.  When you steal $7 billion, they will find you, unless they think you're already dead."
  - With apologies to Hans Gruber.

Place your bets.  With Bernie safe in jail, and his family well cared-for, was Picower's untimely demise murder or suicide?  Was he trying to make them think he's already dead?  Or did they find him?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/26/09 at 8:49 pm

Good points...  but we all know that the game is rigged.  The bigger the country, the greater potential there is for corruption.  With the world’s biggest economy, you have to be as bold as Madoff to actually get caught when you’re part of the billionaire’s club.
Michael Moore wrote a pretty good article contrasting the law’s response toward Madoff and the response toward big banks and creditors.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-moore/bernie-madoff-scapegoat-b_b_194586.html

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/28/09 at 3:08 pm

It might as well be life for him.

BTW-If you die in prison while serving a Prison Sentence, whether it's one or one thousand years...do they keep the dead body in prison?

Check for new replies or respond here...