» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Virginia Set To Execute Man on July 14th

Written By: Red Ant on 07/01/09 at 11:33 pm

And they are doing it with ol' sparky (the electric chair), per the prisoner's request.

Story here

Details here.

May Paul Powell suffer as much as possible in the chair. Cases like his are why we still have capital punishment.

Ant

Subject: Re: Virginia Set To Execute Man on July 14th

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/01/09 at 11:37 pm

No remorse :(

Written By: Jessica on 07/02/09 at 12:33 am

I read the second link and wanted to hurl.  I fully support this guy having a ripping good time riding ol' Sparky, although this comment:

I support life for Powell only if he is flogged every morning, noon and night with a cat o nine tails. Flogged until he screams for mercy. Oh, if only I could be in charge of the prison system. He would be forced to clean toilets for all the black inmates of the prison; he would be forced to apologize every day of his life, with each flogging.

...on that last link had me chuckling and thinking, "Too bad we couldn't..."

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/09 at 5:31 am

This guy is getting what he wants, he obviously has set it up that way.  This is a state sponsored suicide.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/09 at 6:43 am

One would think that an execution conducted on July 14 would more appropriately be done via guillotine.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

Written By: Tia on 07/02/09 at 7:14 am

This guy is getting what he wants, he obviously has set it up that way.  This is a state sponsored suicide.
well said. capital punishment is helping this guy. he'd suffer more with a life sentence.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/02/09 at 8:25 am

Keep him alive and miserable.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/09 at 10:44 am

This guy is getting what he wants, he obviously has set it up that way.  This is a state sponsored suicide.

Absolutely.  This guy Powell sounds like the worst kind of craven sonofabitch psychopath and his little joke is on all of you getting the thrill vicarious vengeance outta him getting fried.  I'd rather just see him die in 50 years when nobody remembers his name and he's still sitting in the same stinking maximum security cell.  

Gary Gilmore murdered two men in Utah back in the 1976 and the first man executed in the U.S. since the Supreme Court reinstated the capital punishment as Constitutional.  However, he is most famous for choosing the firing squad.  Gilmore, a lifelong crook and no-goodnik, got national press attention for months surrounding his execution in January of 1977.  On top of that, Norman Mailer ensured Gilmore's infamy would live on in the novel "The Executioner's Song," which was then made into a movie starring Tommy Lee Jones as Gary and Roseanna Arquette as Gary's wife.  Gilmore got to end his own miserable life in a blaze of gunfire and become immortalized in the gallery of great American criminals.  With no death penalty, Gilmore would still be rotting in prison, aging and alone, and nobody would give a f**k about him.  Like revenge?  Which one sounds better?

On top of that, I'm still against capital punishment on principle.  I don't forgo this principle because a scumbag like Paul Powell commits a stomach-turning crime.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/09 at 11:14 am

Absolutely.  This guy Powell sounds like the worst kind of craven sonofabitch psychopath and his little joke is on all of you getting the thrill vicarious vengeance outta him getting fried.  I'd rather just see him die in 50 years when nobody remembers his name and he's still sitting in the same stinking maximum security cell.  

Gary Gilmore murdered two men in Utah back in the 1976 and the first man executed in the U.S. since the Supreme Court reinstated the capital punishment as Constitutional.  However, he is most famous for choosing the firing squad.  Gilmore, a lifelong crook and no-goodnik, got national press attention for months surrounding his execution in January of 1977.  On top of that, Norman Mailer ensured Gilmore's infamy would live on in the novel "The Executioner's Song," which was then made into a movie starring Tommy Lee Jones as Gary and Roseanna Arquette as Gary's wife.  Gilmore got to end his own miserable life in a blaze of gunfire and become immortalized in the gallery of great American criminals.  With no death penalty, Gilmore would still be rotting in prison, aging and alone, and nobody would give a f**k about him.  Like revenge?  Which one sounds better?

On top of that, I'm still against capital punishment on principle.  I don't forgo this principle because a scumbag like Paul Powell commits a stomach-turning crime.

Perhaps we put him into prison for life, with his 'nards firmly in a vise.  Arrange the vise such that every time he breathes in, the vise gets just a little tighter.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/02/09 at 12:58 pm

Prometheus was the dude who kept having his liver eaten, right?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/09 at 2:20 pm

Prometheus was the dude who kept having his liver eaten, right?

That's what happens when you f**k with Zeus, OG!

Prometheus also stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mankind.

See, if the Christian god had taken a hint from Mount Olympus and did the same thing to Lucifer, he could have saved us all a lot of hassles.  Instead, he just kicked Lucifer out with his homies and they started their own place.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...