» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Phone-in leads to shock PM visit

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/09 at 12:12 pm

Full report on BBC News Online

The owners of a fishmongers in Leeds got a surprise visit from the prime minister after tackling him about help for recession-hit small businesses.

Michelle Hayes who runs the family stall Thomas Hayes and Sons in Kirkgate market rang Gordon Brown during a phone-in at BBC Radio Leeds.

Mr Brown said someone would be in touch, but then changed his mind and paid a personal visit to the market.

Ms Hayes' husband Cliff Hocken said he was very shocked by the visit.

Mr Hocken said: "It was very nice to see. The fact that he's a human at the end of the day and he's tried to understand the problems that are arising."

Ms Hayes had earlier rung to question the prime minister about the lack of help for family-run businesses during the recession.

Addressing Mr Brown, she said: "My husband and I have had a small family business in Leeds Kirkgate market for 25 years this week and we should be celebrating, but we're not.

"I would like to hear from you what the government are doing to help family businesses during the recession.

"I can assure you we're getting no help whatsoever."

Mr Brown said a government official would be in touch, but after the phone-in he decided to go the short distance to discuss what help they could receive.

As he was leaving Mr Brown said to Mr Hocken: "Best wishes for your business and tell your wife I appreciated her call. She's a very persuasive woman and you should be proud of her."

Check for new replies or respond here...