» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Uighurs Stirring Mayhem in China

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/09 at 9:20 pm

Possibly emboldened by their brethren in other countries where governments are weak, the Moslem Uighur movement has resumed stirring the pot in China again.

A recent article in Salon.com naively attempts to portray Uighurs as simple protesters and resisters to Chinese tyranny.  Funny, they "resist" by hijacking airplanes and bombing civilians in public places... terrorism... the stock and trade of Moslem fundamentalists around the globe.

The Uighurs have grossly underestimated the absolute ruthlessness that the Chinese government will take against their actions.  China is a totalitarian state, and Peking will not put up with these shennanigans, and will crush the Uighurs in a spectacular way, and with the 100% support of the Chinese population.

Subject: Re: Uighurs Stirring Mayhem in China

Written By: Macphisto on 07/06/09 at 9:21 pm

I can sympathize with the Uyghurs the same way I sympathize with the Kurds and the Tibetans.  Terrorism isn't justified, but when you get raped out of your land and rights...  bad shi# goes down.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/09 at 9:25 pm

I can sympathize with the Uyghurs the same way I sympathize with the Kurds and the Tibetans.  Terrorism isn't justified, but when you get raped out of your land and rights...   bad shi# goes down.

Problem with the Uighurs is the same problem most if not all Moslem fundamentalist movements have.  They end up directly killing more of their own people, by their own explosives, than they ever do whatever enemy they conjur up.  That means they do their thing out of a love for death, not some "higher principle".... indiscriminate and completely counterproductive.  I might think differently if they were not so busy directly killing their own people.

In the words of Clint Eastwood... "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy..."

Written By: Macphisto on 07/06/09 at 9:29 pm

Problem with the Uighurs is the same problem most if not all Moslem fundamentalist movements have.  They end up directly killing more of their own people, by their own explosives, than they ever do whatever enemy they conjur up.  That means they do their thing out of a love for death, not some "higher principle".... indiscriminate and completely counterproductive.  I might think differently if they were not so busy directly killing their own people.

In the words of Clint Eastwood... "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy..."

Good points, but this isn't true of the Tibetans or the Kurds.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/09 at 9:41 pm

The Chinese government will wipe all the Oujis out, so we'd better give them a homeland here.  How about Picksburgh?
:P

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/06/09 at 11:45 pm

A recent article in Salon.com naively attempts to portray Uighurs as simple protesters and resisters to Chinese tyranny.  Funny, they "resist" by hijacking airplanes and bombing civilians in public places... terrorism... the stock and trade of Moslem fundamentalists around the globe.

Hey, it's not like we didn't do the same with the Taliban in Rambo III. 

"I learned it from YOU, Dad  Uncle Sam!  I learned if from YOU!"
    - China

That, and the fact that the Chinese are more capitalist than we are these days... and the fact that compared to a bunch of English-speaking university students in Iran, the Uighurs suck at Twitter.  Yeah, they're toast :)

Written By: Mushroom on 07/07/09 at 1:18 am

Hey, it's not like we didn't do the same with the Taliban in Rambo III. 

"I learned it from YOU, Dad  Uncle Sam!  I learned if from YOU!"
    - China

That, and the fact that the Chinese are more capitalist than we are these days... and the fact that compared to a bunch of English-speaking university students in Iran, the Uighurs suck at Twitter.  Yeah, they're toast :)

Don't confuse China with being Capitalist.

All they did was realize that with the huge amount of slave labor in their nation, they could make things cheap and sell them for hard currency.  If the USSR had done this with things other then weapons, they mught still be around today.

No company exists without Government approval.  And Government has almost total control of the company, even telling them what to make, how to make it, where to sell it, and how much to sell it for.  And a lot of things they make are illegal in their own country.  They are purely made for export.

And to get an idea how successful they really are, look at how many deaths have been caused by Chinese made products.  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/09 at 7:10 am

The Chinese government will wipe all the Oujis out, so we'd better give them a homeland here.  How about Picksburgh?

Nah... Picksburgh is pretty much a bastion of black-and-white folks.  Maybe we can send them up to Massachusetts where they can enjoy the ocean air? ???

Written By: philbo on 07/07/09 at 7:50 am

Don't confuse China with being Capitalist.

He didn't say they were... merely that they were more capitalist than we are these days ;)

On-topic, I don't see it as particularly relevant that the Uighurs are Muslim: this sort of unrest would have happened whatever the religion of the population.  On another forum, there has been the same sort of implication, that these people are revolting because they're Muslim (heralding Islam's incipient takeover of the whole world), and I don't buy it.

I'm not a fan of Islam - hell, not even close - yet some of the scaremongering going round would be laughable if it wasn't so full of hate.  (I've even been called an apologist for Islamic terror recently, which is kind of funny.  All I was doing was comparing relative deaths between Palestinian rockets and road accidents in Israel.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/09 at 8:29 am

He didn't say they were... merely that they were more capitalist than we are these days ;)

On-topic, I don't see it as particularly relevant that the Uighurs are Muslim: this sort of unrest would have happened whatever the religion of the population.  On another forum, there has been the same sort of implication, that these people are revolting because they're Muslim (heralding Islam's incipient takeover of the whole world), and I don't buy it.

I'm not a fan of Islam - hell, not even close - yet some of the scaremongering going round would be laughable if it wasn't so full of hate.  (I've even been called an apologist for Islamic terror recently, which is kind of funny.  All I was doing was comparing relative deaths between Palestinian rockets and road accidents in Israel.)

Read the news accounts more.  One of the reasons the Uighurs are up in arms is because they are upset that Han Chinese as "diluting" the Muslim identity of Xinjiang .  The main Uighur separatist group is called the "East Turkestan Islamist Movement".  They named themselves.  I think this means they are doing it in the name of Islam.

Note that Muslims only account for 8,000,000 of the total 20,000,000 population of Xinjiang so the likelihood of them getting poipular support for a separation from Red China is zilch.  Most Xinjiangers are Chines and wish to remain so.

Have other religious groups occasionally adopted terrorist tactics?  Sure.  My fellow Roamin' Catholics used to make quite a stir on the British Isles, bombings and stuff, but you did not see a catholic terrorist movement in several dozen countries.  They pretty much confied their mayhem to the immediate players and did not launch a global novena of violence.  Do the Israelis (Jewish government) have a history of terrorism?  Sure, and again pretty much confined to their locale.  You don't see Jews worldwide pulling Shatilas.

The Islamist movement is characterized by terrorists who regularly travel the globe causing mayhem and they do it specifically in the name of their religion, "Allah Akhbar" and all that stuff.  Desire to create Islamist states and the like.

The global Islamic jihad is a religious movement whether people want to believe it or not.  Does it represent the "official" Islam?  Does it represent the "correct" Islam?  Does it enjoy the "majority" of Islam support?  I have no idea.  All I know is that a bunch of self-proclaimed Islamic clerics are stirring up terrorist movements all over the globe.

The suicide bombers who walk into marketplaces, largely filled with fellow Muslim shoppers, women, and children, are not reciting the Hail Mary or the Kol Nidre when they pull the string.

Written By: philbo on 07/07/09 at 9:36 am

Read the news accounts more.  One of the reasons the Uighurs are up in arms is because they are upset that Han Chinese as "diluting" the Muslim identity of Xinjiang .  The main Uighur separatist group is called the "East Turkestan Islamist Movement".  They named themselves.  I think this means they are doing it in the name of Islam.

Note that Muslims only account for 8,000,000 of the total 20,000,000 population of Xinjiang so the likelihood of them getting poipular support for a separation from Red China is zilch.  Most Xinjiangers are Chines and wish to remain so.
I have been reading the news accounts, plus a lot of the background to this.  Sixty years ago, the Uighurs had their own "East Turkmenistan" country, annexed by China in 1949.  Since then, the population of ethnic Chinese has increased from negligible to over 7 million.  It doesn't surprise me that there's an Islamist spark that has set this off, but to call it "doing it in the name of Islam" is to misunderstand the situation there.

Have other religious groups occasionally adopted terrorist tactics?

Groups who consider their countries unfairly occupied do have a tendency to do this - be they Catholics, Muslims, Greek Orthodox Christians, Jews - hell, even the really peaceable Buddhists get stirred up to this sort of thing.  Religion doesn't help: nine times out of ten, these sorts of separatists are from a different religion as well as ethnic/cultural background to their "parent" country, and usually it's religion that keeps these groups apart over the decades.  But religion isn't the root cause of it - I always used to think that was the case in Ireland, 'till I first worked in the prisons over there, and was given a fantastic lesson in the history by one of the chaps I worked with - a Scot who'd been there for 30 years.

The suicide bombers who walk into marketplaces, largely filled with fellow Muslim shoppers, women, and children, are not reciting the Hail Mary or the Kol Nidre when they pull the string.

True, but irrelevant: this isn't a handful of zealots blowing themselves to hell, it's a large-scale riot.  Except that now the other side's rioting right back at them (on the strength of what look like unfounded rumours of mass rape & slaughter).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/09 at 12:29 pm

Nah... Picksburgh is pretty much a bastion of black-and-white folks.  Maybe we can send them up to Massachusetts where they can enjoy the ocean air? ???

Not around here, this part of Massatwosheeshs has about as much ocean air as Picksburgh.  Maybe they could live at the Kennedy place on Cape Cod and work in the cranberry bogs!

Written By: Frank on 07/07/09 at 1:15 pm

The Uighurs have grossly underestimated the absolute ruthlessness that the Chinese government will take against their actions.  China is a totalitarian state, and Peking will not put up with these shennanigans, and will crush the Uighurs in a spectacular way, and with the 100% support of the Chinese population.

Sadly this will occur. China does not put up with anything that threatens their gov'ment. Been there.

Check for new replies or respond here...