» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is it a good idea to bring a gun to a bar?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/09 at 11:14 pm

Stephen Colbert profiled this good ole boy back in March and he's been in the news again.

Tennessee state senator Douglas S. Jackson, a Democrat, wants to rescind a ban on bearing fire arms in establishments that serve alcohol.  He sites a passage in Tennessee code stating local governments, such as the City of Nashville, do not have the right to regulate guns if said regulation supercedes state code. 

There are caveats.  Any establishment that wishes to ban guns on its private property may do so.  Furthermore, patrons bearing firearms in an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages may not consume alcoholic beverages while in possession of a firearm. 

The legislature overrode the governor's veto and threw out an 11:00 pm curfew for guns in bars.  So, it's on!

I just get the feeling, as one Tennessee bar patron put it, "rednecks, alcohol, and guns don't mix"!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Subject: Re: Is it a good idea to bring a gun to a bar?

Written By: Mushroom on 07/16/09 at 6:07 am

I just get the feeling, as one Tennessee bar patron put it, "rednecks, alcohol, and guns don't mix"!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Yes, much better to have them drinking with their guns at home.  :D

I see no reason to bring a weapon into a bar.  Back home in Texas, almost every food and drinking establishment has a sign clerly stating "No firearms allowed on premises".

As much as I support the right of a legally responsible person to have a concealed weapon permit, I also support the right of business owners to forbid the presence of weapons.  And if the rednecks do not like it, they can take their business elsewhere.

Written By: philbo on 07/16/09 at 6:12 am

ISTM you should either ban it, or make it compulsory: if the latter, the problem'll sort itself out after a while ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/16/09 at 7:34 am

Question.  If this becomes legal will they used the defense that they were wasted when they pump someone full of lead?  Not sure what judge is going to buy that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/09 at 8:01 am

Furthermore, patrons bearing firearms in an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages may not consume alcoholic beverages while in possession of a firearm. 

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/16/09 at 1:21 pm

Seems that in additional to being the designated driver, the sober one can also be the designated gunslinger.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/09 at 6:56 pm

I wonder if you could leave the gun in the truck, go in for a few beers, and then go get the gun, and drink virgin margaritas for the rest of the evening.
:D

Written By: tv on 07/18/09 at 5:46 pm

Uh not a good idea to bring a gun out to a bar or a club for that matter. Just ask former NFL wide receiver "Plexico Burress" he went to a club with a gun in his pocket in November 2008 and the gun went off in his pocket. He had an injury because of this incident and was out for the remainder of the 2008 NFL Season. NFL commissioner "Roger Goddell" suspended Burress for some period of time for the 2009 NFL season. Burress is no longer of the New York Giants who he was with from 2005-2008 so whatever team Burress signs with for the 2009 NFL season Burress will be suspended for some amount of games.

Written By: Frank on 07/18/09 at 5:58 pm

Uh not a good idea to bring a gun out to a bar or a club for that matter. Just ask former NFL wide receiver "Plexico Burress" he went to a club with a gun in his pocket in November 2008 and the gun went off in his pocket. He had an injury because of this incident and was out for the remainder of the 2008 NFL Season. NFL commissioner "Roger Goddell" suspended Burress for some period of time for the 2009 NFL season. Burress is no longer of the New York Giants who he was with from 2005-2008 so whatever team Burress signs with for the 2009 NFL season Burress will be suspended for some amount of games.

More or less what I was going to post, you beat me to it.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/18/09 at 8:14 pm

Simple problem...  simple solution.

Private establishments should have the right to decide for themselves whether or not they allow guns.

Now before anyone gets hysterical, I think you'll find that very few bar owners would allow guns in bars if this State Senator is successful in repealing these gun bans.  There's obviously a backstory as to why guns are banned from bars in many cities.  Everyone knows that alcohol and guns don't tend to mix very well.

By the same token, bar owners are going to be more aware of this than the average person.  In addition to this, I'm pretty sure most people would avoid bars that allow guns, so in order to keep their customers, I would think most bar owners would ban guns of their own accord.

If nothing else, this comes down to an issue of principle.  Is it the government's right to decide for private business owners, or should the business owners have the final say themselves?  I side with the latter.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/18/09 at 9:23 pm

Plax's stupidity is unrelated to bars or clubs.

The bottom line with Plax is that he had no idea how to handle a gun and it went off in his pocket.  This would have happened if he were in the 'loo.

He's extremely lucky he did not shoot himself in the 'nards.  :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/18/09 at 9:31 pm

The bottom line with Plax is that he had no idea how to handle a gun and it went off in his pocket.  This would have happened if he were in the 'loo.

Perhaps we were unlucky that he didn't shoot himself in the goolies :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/18/09 at 9:33 pm

Perhaps we were unlucky that he didn't shoot himself in the goolies :P

Hey Rice, how come your post counter got reset to zero?

I'll throw you a Karma point...  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/18/09 at 9:45 pm

Hey Rice, how come your post counter got reset to zero?

I'll throw you a Karma point...  :)

I'm making a statement against statistics :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/09 at 9:50 pm

The bottom line with Plax is that he had no idea how to handle a gun and it went off in his pocket.  This would have happened if he were in the 'loo.

He's extremely lucky he did not shoot himself in the 'nards.  :o

That reminds of an entry from "News of the Weird" many years ago where a kid got himself a new pistol and he wanted to surprise his girlfriend by whipping it out of his pants pocket (the gun, that is), so when when his chick came around the corner he reached into is his pocket and shot his johnson clean off!  I guess he really did surprise his girlfriend...and any girlfriend he might find subsequently...
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad11.gif

So if all the other bars in Nashville said no guns, I'd be the entrepreneur to start the "Guns Welcome" bar...my silent business partner being a tort lawyer with an office upstairs!  We'd make a fortune!

(been watching too many Mel Brooks movies, I think)
 :-\\

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/20/09 at 4:56 pm

No the bottom line is stupidity and gun owning go hand in hand most of the times :D

Written By: Macphisto on 07/20/09 at 5:57 pm

No the bottom line is stupidity and gun owning go hand in hand most of the times :D

You're silly...  8-P

Guns are a tool, nothing more.  They can be abused or responsibly used, but it all depends on the user him/herself.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/09 at 8:07 pm

You're silly...   8-P

Guns are a tool, nothing more.  They can be abused or responsibly used, but it all depends on the user him/herself.

I think that's a gripe among gun owners.  Smart/responsible gun owners don't make the news.
::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/21/09 at 11:03 am

You're silly...   8-P

Yes but you're an asshole, so i win :-*

Guns are a tool for law enforcement and hunters. For everyone else they are accidents waiting to happen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/09 at 11:11 am

Hey, take it easy.

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/21/09 at 11:14 am

Hey, take it easy.

I will 'cause i don't own a gun, if i did Mr.Mac would be dead by now :D

Written By: Macphisto on 07/21/09 at 7:02 pm

Guns are a tool for law enforcement and hunters. For everyone else they are accidents waiting to happen.

We've gone down this road before.  If we lived in medieval times, I'd have a sword, and you'd be attempting to persuade me to sell it.  ;)

Written By: philbo on 07/22/09 at 3:16 am

Smart/responsible gun owners don't make the news.

Neither of them

Written By: Macphisto on 07/22/09 at 5:25 pm

A phobia of weapons is no better than a phobia of drugs.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/09 at 5:32 pm

I think that's a gripe among gun owners.  Smart/responsible gun owners don't make the news.
::)

Huh?  At some point there is a legitimate use for firearms.  I will not make an argument as to how often.

That said, when a firearm is used by a responsible person in a responsible manner, it is going to make the news.  Like the guy in South Bend Indiana, who drew his weapon to stop a hit-and-run artist who had just killed one little girl and had inflicted ultimately fatal injuries on his sister.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/09 at 8:47 pm

Huh?  At some point there is a legitimate use for firearms.  I will not make an argument as to how often.

That said, when a firearm is used by a responsible person in a responsible manner, it is going to make the news.  Like the guy in South Bend Indiana, who drew his weapon to stop a hit-and-run artist who had just killed one little girl and had inflicted ultimately fatal injuries on his sister.

Yeah, there was some argy-bargy on this very board about that case.

My statement was neither pro or anti-gun.  I'm just saying usually when you see a news story about a citizen with a gun, it usually involves crime and/or stupidity on the part of the bearer of the firearm.  That's all.

Written By: philbo on 07/23/09 at 4:59 am

A phobia of weapons is no better than a phobia of drugs.

Agreed.. or a phobia (as in "an irrational fear") of anything at all for that matter.  I'm all for dealing with guns, drugs, terrorism and the like using rationality as much as possible... unfortunately, especially in those three arenas at the moment, rationality isn't the guiding force behind either current legislation or most of the arguments put forward.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/23/09 at 9:41 pm

Agreed.. or a phobia (as in "an irrational fear") of anything at all for that matter.  I'm all for dealing with guns, drugs, terrorism and the like using rationality as much as possible... unfortunately, especially in those three arenas at the moment, rationality isn't the guiding force behind either current legislation or most of the arguments put forward.

I agree.  The War on Drugs is a complete waste.  The War on Terror should've been limited to Afghanistan and Pakistan.  And as far as gun policy goes, we have the GOA supporting gun ownership among the mentally unstable while loony left-wingers want to ban guns outright.

Check for new replies or respond here...