» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why I am ashamed to be Catholic......

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/21/09 at 8:13 pm

Two frigging words....

Fred Motherfricking Phelps.

The biggest, most pathetic, hypocrictical sack of ****, EVER!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

Subject: Re: Why I am ashamed to be Catholic......

Written By: gibbo on 07/21/09 at 11:32 pm

Two frigging words....

But he's a Baptist .... not a Catholic!  ???  What's the connection?  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/21/09 at 11:59 pm

What gibbo said.

Ain't the Pope's fault.  Take it forward a bit and it's the Lutherans oughta be ashamed for that reformation thing.  Of course, Martin Luther's been dead for centuries.  It ain't his fault either.

But let's roll with your initial premise - take it back before the Reformation so it's the Pope's fault, but take it back a little further, and it ain't the Pope's fault either.  Blame this guy.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3821/jesa6.jpg

...except it ain't His fault either.  If He ever came back, that's probably how it'd go.  Or we'd nail Him to a tree for the heresy of suggesting that we should try being nice to each other for a change.

Back on topic...

The guy's a laughingstock even amongst fundies.  The only good thing about him is that they're actually just a family business that makes its money via lawsuits.  It's like (RULES 1 AND 2) carring on an /i/nvasion of real life, hoping someone finally snaps and takes a swing at them or says something libelous about them, so that they can sue in response.  The correct response is to ignore 'em. 

http://pinstripebindi.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/fred-phelps-is-sooo-gay.jpg

...or to do something like that, and be Anonymous :)

Written By: wildcard on 07/22/09 at 12:34 am

Waterboy moment- they are the devil. 

Written By: Frank on 07/22/09 at 1:18 am

There are kooks in every religion.
If those people ACTUALLY READ THEIR BIBLES ONCE IN THEIR FRIGGIN LIFE, they'd read that Jesus loves everyone, does not hate anyone, and God wants the whole world to be saved.

Written By: philbo on 07/22/09 at 3:45 am

There are kooks in every religion.
If those people ACTUALLY READ THEIR BIBLES ONCE IN THEIR FRIGGIN LIFE, they'd read that Jesus loves everyone, does not hate anyone, and God wants the whole world to be saved.

er.. they (like a large number of other weirdos in the world) have read their bible, it's just that they're being differently selective about which bits of the bible they use to justify their own petty prejudices ("If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." --Leviticus 20:13).  Though I notice they don't seem as vocal against the other abominations in Leviticus (clipping the edges of the beard doesn't get the same approbation from the WBC, neither does cursing your parents)

That's one of the problems I have with the bible: you can find something in there to justify pretty much anything you like, and pointing to people like the Phelps family and saying "they should read the bible" draws attention from the inarguable fact that they have done pretty much what every other Christian in the world has: read the bible, then chosen which bits to follow and which bits to ignore.  Or maybe not: I'm not convinced that a lot of Christians I talk to have ever read the bible.

Written By: philbo on 07/22/09 at 4:34 am

PS On-topic: there's an awful lot of things that should make a catholic ashamed, but Fred Phelps and the WBC isn't one of them... I can think of a few without really trying - contraception, STD prevention, protecting the reputation of the church rather than its people, allowing paedophile priests to get away with it for too long, covering up papal assassinations... I'm sure there's more - does anyone else want to add to the list?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/22/09 at 9:11 am

PS On-topic: there's an awful lot of things that should make a catholic ashamed, but Fred Phelps and the WBC isn't one of them... I can think of a few without really trying - contraception, STD prevention, protecting the reputation of the church rather than its people, allowing paedophile priests to get away with it for too long, covering up papal assassinations... I'm sure there's more - does anyone else want to add to the list?

You listed other reasons, why I am ashamed of being a Catholic at times as well.

Written By: ninny on 07/22/09 at 9:56 am

Two frigging words....

But he's a Baptist .... not a Catholic!  ???  What's the connection?  :-\\

I agree with Peter, what does this have to do with Catholics...All religions have people that dislike or not tolerant of others..We don't live in Utopia.

Written By: wildcard on 07/22/09 at 10:46 am

Why even be religous? 

And I saught His face, Now I'm a believer

I we didn't even go to church until much later. I don't go to church now. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/09 at 12:09 pm

http://pinstripebindi.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/fred-phelps-is-sooo-gay.jpg

That guy in the hat looks like Max Hardcore.

;D ;D

Written By: philbo on 07/22/09 at 3:34 pm

That guy in the hat looks like Max Hardcore.

;D ;D

Who?

Why do I get the feeling I shouldn't be googling that name?

Written By: Macphisto on 07/22/09 at 5:12 pm

The guy's a laughingstock even amongst fundies.  The only good thing about him is that they're actually just a family business that makes its money via lawsuits.  It's like (RULES 1 AND 2) carring on an /i/nvasion of real life, hoping someone finally snaps and takes a swing at them or says something libelous about them, so that they can sue in response.  The correct response is to ignore 'em.

Eh...  What I'd like to see is Phelps and his family go to a country like...  I don't know...  Afghanistan, say something insulting to a Muslim, and then get chopped up into pieces in response.

I support free speech, but I also don't mind seeing "karma" in action.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/09 at 5:23 pm

Who?

Why do I get the feeling I shouldn't be googling that name?

http://www.laist.com/attachments/tony/maxhardcoreyikes.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hardcore

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/22/09 at 6:18 pm

I agree with Peter, what does this have to do with Catholics...All religions have people that dislike or not tolerant of others..We don't live in Utopia.

I agree, but the guy still annoys me to no end.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/09 at 8:28 pm

http://www.laist.com/attachments/tony/maxhardcoreyikes.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hardcore

Dude, it's just nasty!
8-P

I hope they're making him wear the polka dot dress and sing the Oscar Myer song in the hoosegow!

Written By: wildcard on 07/22/09 at 11:06 pm

^ ^Don't let him annoy you to no end.  Sometimes good things come from bad things.  Just continue to to your best and pray.  He's got the whole world in His hands.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/09 at 11:15 pm

^ Don't let him annoy you to no end.  Sometimes good things come from bad things.  Just continue to to your best and pray.  He's got the whole world in His hands.

Who?  Max or Fred?
:P

Written By: gibbo on 07/22/09 at 11:17 pm

^ Don't let him annoy you to no end.  Sometimes good things come from bad things.  Just continue to to your best and pray.  He's got the whole world in His hands.

....and that was part of the problem. Some priests had too much of the world in their hands! ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/09 at 11:06 am

er.. they (like a large number of other weirdos in the world) have read their bible, it's just that they're being differently selective about which bits of the bible they use to justify their own petty prejudices ("If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." --Leviticus 20:13).  Though I notice they don't seem as vocal against the other abominations in Leviticus (clipping the edges of the beard doesn't get the same approbation from the WBC, neither does cursing your parents)

That's one of the problems I have with the bible: you can find something in there to justify pretty much anything you like, and pointing to people like the Phelps family and saying "they should read the bible" draws attention from the inarguable fact that they have done pretty much what every other Christian in the world has: read the bible, then chosen which bits to follow and which bits to ignore.  Or maybe not: I'm not convinced that a lot of Christians I talk to have ever read the bible.

Of course there is the issue of WHICH Bible? The Hebrew Bible? The King James version? American Standard Version? Living Bible? etc. etc. Who wrote the Bible anyway? Or more specifically, who TRANSLATED the Bible either from Hebrew or Greek?

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 07/24/09 at 12:37 am

I have a Living and a New King James.  Haven't read them for who knows how long but there are few few differences in the translations that you might pick up a little more or less on.  Seems like once I asked God for help, a lot of the info in the Bible was given to me before I had one. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/09 at 9:02 pm

Of course there is the issue of WHICH Bible? The Hebrew Bible?

No, the WITCH bible, of course!
;)

Written By: wildcard on 07/24/09 at 11:16 pm

^um.. cook them who are without skin  cast the first bone?  told you I was bored today.

Written By: Keyboard Smoothies on 07/25/09 at 6:40 pm

I don't follow any organized religion for two reasons.

1) the founders all turn out to be perverts
2) these people believed the earth was flat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/09 at 4:33 pm

No, the WITCH bible, of course!
;)

That would be the Wicca Rede.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/09 at 8:21 pm

;D ;D ;D

Written By: gibbo on 07/27/09 at 8:51 pm

The Earth's NOT flat?  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/09 at 9:16 pm

Actually it depends on what sort of coordinate system you are using.  Concepts of flatness and roundness are all relative to the coordinate system.  That's why "great circle" routes, which are the shortest routes between two points on the earth, appear as curved lines on a flat map.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/09 at 9:52 pm

Actually it depends on what sort of coordinate system you are using.  Concepts of flatness and roundness are all relative to the coordinate system.  That's why "great circle" routes, which are the shortest routes between two points on the earth, appear as curved lines on a flat map.

Hey man, the Earth is pear-shaped!  That's what I started hearing as a kid in the seventies.  If you smoked enough of that sh*t, the globe would start to look banana-shaped!

Seriously, the theory is the planet is in the shape of an oblate sphere, has to do with the uneven weight Antarctica gives the south pole as the planet rotates on its axis.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/multijump.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/09 at 11:24 pm

Hey man, the Earth is pear-shaped!  That's what I started hearing as a kid in the seventies.  If you smoked enough of that sh*t, the globe would start to look banana-shaped!

Seriously, the theory is the planet is in the shape of an oblate sphere, has to do with the uneven weight Antarctica gives the south pole as the planet rotates on its axis.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/multijump.gif

Well, since Antarctica is so heavy, its weight is going to tend to cause the earth to sag a bit in its direction.  :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/28/09 at 9:30 pm

Why even be religous? 

And I saught His face, Now I'm a believer

I we didn't even go to church until much later. I don't go to church now. 

Misquoting a Monkees song. :o  Wonder if someone somewhere would send you to hell for that.

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/29/09 at 1:18 pm

Hell, Christianity isn't the easiest religion ever with its sects, bible translations, rituals, etc.

My Church is becoming like a buisness and I'm just their custodian. This year, I'll be taking a week's staycation since I've been seeing my pastor take many vacations.

I also worry about the Christians that kill themselves...because I knew someone who did that just last week!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/09 at 3:55 pm

It is according to my map.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 08/02/09 at 1:04 pm

I have my own objections to some the the bullshìt put forth by gay organisations and whatnot; however, this guy is obsessed with homosexuals. It's highly abnormal, and one must wonder what sort of psychological processes lead a person to be so virulent against a fact of life like homosexuality. It's as if someone came out hard against people who like chocolate cake, or people who love swimming. Some people like to s... c... So what?

That said, all the hardcore gay communitarians are equally absurd. These people have entirely missed the point and continue make fools of themselves by trying to reinforce and legally solidify a distinct community, based entirely on sexual preference, which was distinguished neither by nature nor by the volition of its once unwilling members, but rather by the intolerance of mainstream society for those people of the same sex who wanted to bone each other. The message should instead be that homosexuality is a natural behaviour that many people have engaged in and that some people even prefer to engage in, not an 'orientation' that a few people are marked with from birth which separates them irrevocably from the mainstream. That just isn't the case.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/02/09 at 10:48 pm

I have my own objections to some the the bullshìt put forth by gay organisations and whatnot; however, this guy is obsessed with homosexuals. It's highly abnormal, and one must wonder what sort of psychological processes lead a person to be so virulent against a fact of life like homosexuality. 

Attention, all you fundies who spend a lot of time worrying about what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedrooms:  I'm not wondering.

http://www.trendwhore.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/45549_bj.jpg

Because it's probably a psychological process like that.

Check for new replies or respond here...