» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Armored Dinner Jacket tells Ayatollah to Go Pack Sand

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/09 at 5:38 pm

Interesting development in Iran lately.

Seems that President Jacket named a guy as his First Vice President that none of the hard liners like.  Yesterday, The "Supreme Asshole Leader" declared that Armored Dinner Jacket must withdraw the appointment.

Jacket came out today and said "sorry pal, I'm sticking with my choice."

I wonder what's goin' on?

Maybe the high command has manufactured this whole thing to gain sympathy for Jacket from the populace? ???

Subject: Re: Armored Dinner Jacket tells Ayatollah to Go Pack Sand

Written By: Macphisto on 07/22/09 at 5:46 pm

Possibly...  Although Ahmadinejad has a base of support from the elite Iranian Revolutionary Guards.  Some have suggested a rift is developing between this part of the Iranian military and the Ayatollah.

Depending on how things go, Iran may end up with a military-lead government soon rather than a theocratic one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/09 at 5:49 pm

Possibly...  Although Ahmadinejad has a base of support from the elite Iranian Revolutionary Guards.  Some have suggested a rift is developing between this part of the Iranian military and the Ayatollah.

Depending on how things go, Iran may end up with a military-lead government soon rather than a theocratic one.

This would anger Allah.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/09 at 8:42 pm

This would anger Allah.

I dunno, Allah seems to have infinite patience for Supreme buttheads over there.
::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/22/09 at 8:59 pm

might be an improvement...

Written By: Macphisto on 07/22/09 at 10:12 pm

might be an improvement...

To be fair, just about any change would probably be an improvement.  I think the majority of Iranian people are far too progressive to tolerate an Ayatollah much longer.  While the Shah didn't exactly give them a pleasant memory of secular government, I think they are learning from Turkey that a secular government (when it is a republic) is the way to go.

Written By: philbo on 07/23/09 at 5:59 am

I think the majority of Iranian people are far too progressive to tolerate an Ayatollah much longer.  While the Shah didn't exactly give them a pleasant memory of secular government, I think they are learning from Turkey that a secular government (when it is a republic) is the way to go.

I think you're right about the majority of educated/urban Iranians.. however, there is still a large majority of rural ones whose only education is in the Koran - the people who drove the revolution in the first place, believe that the Ayatollahs really are the ones appointed by Allah himself, and haven't changed a huge amount in the past few decades.

All I can say is, if a secular military vs theocratic civil war breaks out... I really, *really* hope it happens before Iran gets its hands on a nuke.

I dunno, Allah seems to have infinite patience for Supreme buttheads over there.
::)

Allah (much in common with Jehovah and, well, all other deities) does have infinite patience with pretty much everybody, in that He (in whichever incarnation of "He" happens to be) never seems to show the slightest interest in anything His followers claim he does. All this "doing things in God's name" is utterly pathetic, if you think about it: if God really feels that strongly about things, He can show up and do something about it Himself.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/23/09 at 9:37 pm

All I can say is, if a secular military vs theocratic civil war breaks out... I really, *really* hope it happens before Iran gets its hands on a nuke.

Amen to that.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/25/09 at 3:07 pm

Obviously we can tell who has the real control in Iran.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=101597&sectionid=351020101

After a week of political bickering in Iran over the president's choice of his top deputy, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad reverses his decision and accepts Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei's resignation.

The official dismissal of President Ahmadinejad's most senior vice president came after a handwritten note by Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei ordering the president to remove his vice president was made public on Friday.

"The appointment of Mr. Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei as presidential deputy is contrary to your interests and that of the government and a cause of division and frustration among your supporters. It is necessary for this appointment to be declared null and void," read the note by the Leader.

Rahim-Mashaei said late Friday that since the disclosure of the letter, he no longer considered himself as the first vice president, according to Ahmadinejad's senior advisor, Mojtaba Samareh-Hashemi.

"In the face of this decree, I don't believe myself to be the first vice president," Mashaei was quoted as saying.

Later on Saturday, President Ahmadinejad, in a letter to Rahim-Mashaei, accepted his resignation.

However, Ahmadinejad acknowledged that he had expected the country's political developments to play out in such a way that Rahim-Mashaei could have remained in the vice presidential post.

"Over the past week I was hoping that certain propaganda tactics and smear campaigns would be removed so that the administration could make use of your services in the post of vice president," read the letter.

The Iranian president also sent a letter to Ayatollah Khamenei informing him about his decision to accept Rahim-Mashaei's resignation, ending a week of acrimony over the deputy.

"I hereby inform you that your order of July 18 has been carried out based on the Article 57 of the Constitution," read Ahmadinejad's letter to the Leader.

According to the article, the Leader of the Islamic Revolution has the final say in all matters of state and the executive branch, headed by the president, “functions under his supervision.”

Rahim-Mashaei's appointment as the country's vice president unleashed torrents of criticism from both the president's supporters and opponents alike.

In 2008, Rahim-Mashaei turned into a controversial figure after saying that Iran is a "friend of the Israeli people". He later distanced himself from his remarks, saying that his comments had been misinterpreted.

Refusal by President Ahmadinejad to remove his first deputy drew harsh criticism from among his supporters in the Principlist camp in Iran.

The Iranian president and his cabinet members engaged in a verbal quarrel over his insistence on the choice on Thursday, with the ministers of Culture and Islamic Guidance, Intelligence and Labor staging a walk-out from the Cabinet meeting.

Hamid-Reza Katouzian, a member of the Principlist faction that holds the majority of seats in Parliament, said that President Ahmadinejad's insistence on the appointment raises doubts about his "abidance" by the Leader, Etemad-e Melli reported on Thursday.

The Principlist lawmaker went on to urge Ahmadinejad to reverse his decision on the issue to prove that he is following the path of the late Founder of the Islamic Revolution Imam Khomeini and Ayatollah Khamenei.

In separate remarks, Parviz Sarvari, a member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Majlis, also urged the president to revoke the appointment to "prove his commitment" to the Leader.

Rahim-Mashaei's ouster was also demanded in a Friday sermon led by senior Principlist cleric Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami, with hundreds of students rallying in theran on Friday calling for his removal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/09 at 9:59 pm

Could have told him to go pack fudge!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/unhappy.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/09 at 6:54 am

Could have told him to go pack fudge!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/unhappy.gif

This would anger Allah

Check for new replies or respond here...