» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: O'Bama Health Care Speech

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/09 at 2:51 pm

OK now here is my question, I will try to be as non-partisan as possible.

Throughout O'Bamas speech, he basically said that Universal Health Care is needed so as to reduce the cost of health care.  But what features of the proposals under consideration involve cost reduction?

As I understand things, the recent proposals are NOT "single payer" and they (more or less) would allow most people to continue to use the same healthcare provider (I assume that means general practitioner and local hospitals) as they do now.

So what exactly is going to cause the cost reductions?  What are the specifics?

The President made a number of references to excessive ordering of tests.  But if I understand the issue correctly, an awful lot of the excessive testing is due to a doctor's fear of being sued for malpractice, so they test for everything.  Do the proposals have any provisions to bring sense to malpractice law and liability?

Fill me in...  I need specifics though...

Subject: Re: O'Bama Health Care Speech

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/23/09 at 4:12 pm

I too would like specifics...but didn't Obama say that all legislation to be debated would be available for the public to read?  

I think I am in favor of universal healthcare as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and a GDP :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/09 at 4:20 pm

I too would like specifics...but didn't Obama say that all legislation to be debated would be available for the public to read?  

I think I am in favor of universal healthcare as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and a GDP :P

My question is basically... if this is such an obvious way to save money, why is nobody talking specifics?

O'Bama says that the proposal will vastly reduce health care costs.  OK I will keep an open mind but I need SPECIFICS so I can evaluate and judge.  HOW will the program reduce the costs?  WHAT will be different in the health care cycle (from doctor visit through billing payment) that causes less dollars to be spent yet quality to be improved.

Mind you I believe that cost can be taken out and quality improved.  So let's see the specifics.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/09 at 7:08 pm

Maybe because single payer is the best way to cut costs, but our government, including BHO, is OWNED by corporate America.  Big Insurance doesn't want to cut costs.  They want to continue to plundering the American people. 
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/09 at 7:57 pm

Maybe because single payer is the best way to cut costs, but our government, including BHO, is OWNED by corporate America.  Big Insurance doesn't want to cut costs.  They want to continue to plundering the American people. 
::)

But he is not proposing single payer.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/09 at 10:58 pm

But he is not proposing single payer.

I know.  That's why he can't talk about specifics.  Any other plan loses on cost-cutting compared to single payer.  What they're doing is kowtowing to big business to the detriment of the health of the country.

Written By: saver on 07/24/09 at 12:35 am

From what the chat shows afterward said 'Obama is wrong' about keeping your own insurance after ..businesses would be fined for not supplying it to each employee.

Breaking down the beginning of the 'debate?'...
OBAMA: 'Insurance companies are making a profit..'

ME: OH, DEAR! WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!! SOMEONE IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ECONOMIC BACKUP MAKING A PROFIT?? THAT'S AWFUL, I'M GLAD YOU TOLD ME SO I WON'T TRY TO MAKEONE.

OBAMA: (paraphrasing)We need to give them competition...

ME: HMMM, LAST I REMEMBER , I COULD THINK OF-  ALL STATE, AAA, MERCURY, 21ST CENTURY/FARMERS, STATE FARM, AND I CAN'T LIST MANY OF THE OTHERS!

I hope Americans shut down this campaign for his healthcare...write your representatives! 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/09 at 6:59 am

I know.  That's why he can't talk about specifics.  Any other plan loses on cost-cutting compared to single payer.  What they're doing is kowtowing to big business to the detriment of the health of the country.

Then why is he on his high horse about this?  Is he doing this just to be able to say he did something?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/24/09 at 11:19 am

Whatever the specifics, there's gonna be some major upheaval in the system if they're really gung ho about universal health care...

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/24/09 at 11:26 am

From what the chat shows afterward said 'Obama is wrong' about keeping your own insurance after ..businesses would be fined for not supplying it to each employee.

Breaking down the beginning of the 'debate?'...
OBAMA: 'Insurance companies are making a profit..'

ME: OH, DEAR! WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!! SOMEONE IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ECONOMIC BACKUP MAKING A PROFIT?? THAT'S AWFUL, I'M GLAD YOU TOLD ME SO I WON'T TRY TO MAKEONE.

OBAMA: (paraphrasing)We need to give them competition...

ME: HMMM, LAST I REMEMBER , I COULD THINK OF-  ALL STATE, AAA, MERCURY, 21ST CENTURY/FARMERS, STATE FARM, AND I CAN'T LIST MANY OF THE OTHERS!

I hope Americans shut down this campaign for his healthcare...write your representatives!   

They make there profits by denying health care to those who need it.  And the insurance companies don't "compete", they co-exist side by side, but they don't compete with each other.  Nor do they care about the millions without coverage.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/24/09 at 11:35 am

Aren't those all home and auto and life insurers, not healthcare insurers?

Written By: saver on 07/24/09 at 4:52 pm

Aren't those all home and auto and life insurers, not healthcare insurers?

But if you're injured, don't they cover you as well..I recall my accident, I submitted medical bills to other drivers insurance.
Even with healthcare, BLUE CROSS/ANTHEM,HEALTH NET,(In CA.-KAISER),BUE SHIELD,AETNA, UNITED

And Obama gives Doctors a black eye saying how they are going for the 'money' operations ...his plan,will thin the herd by causing unnecessary waiting for procedures and if no one brought it up..NOT being able to sue the govm't if something goes wrong!

It looks and smells too bad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/09 at 8:27 pm

Then why is he on his high horse about this?  Is he doing this just to be able to say he did something?

Yeah, probably.  I'm not terribly optimistic at this point.

The politicians are at the beck and call of the big business, and a big part of big business is pharmaceuticals and insurance, so we'll probably get nowhere on healthcare until we achieve serious campaign finance reform.  Campaign finance reform of such magnitude, however, would require a revolution which the American public has not the heart, the mind, nor the will to prosecute. 

:(

Check for new replies or respond here...