» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is it okay to question certain aspects of the Holocaust?

Written By: Keyboard Smoothies on 07/25/09 at 6:48 pm

i think it definitely happened largely as described, but there are things we don't know. for example i think it's possible that certain high-ranking people in the Jewish community sold out their own people to the Nazis.

what do you think?

Subject: Re: Is it okay to question certain aspects of the Holocaust?

Written By: Mushroom on 07/25/09 at 9:38 pm

i think it definitely happened largely as described, but there are things we don't know. for example i think it's possible that certain high-ranking people in the Jewish community sold out their own people to the Nazis.

what do you think?

I believe that, in the aspect of a few working as informers.  That has happened historically, such as "If you put us in this concentration camp instead of that death camp, I will tell you where a few more may be hiding".

But in reality, what was a "high ranking Jew"?  While there were many that were bankers and the like, they had almost no political power.  And largely they did not consider themselves "Jews", as much as Poles, Lithuanians, Germans, French, etc with Jewish backgrounds.  Just like any Catholic, Lutheran, or Baptist in that area of the world at the time.

I think questioning things in that way do nothing but support the beliefs of a few nutcases that there was a kind of "Secret Jewish Government" that really ran things in Europe.  And that kind of ignorance thrives not on fact, but the things that "everybody knows".  Things that are not fact, but take on a life of their own.

I feel the Holocost happened, just like that of the Armenians a generation earlier.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/09 at 9:44 pm

Yes.  It is a scholarly duty to examine all historical events.

Written By: philbo on 07/26/09 at 6:18 am

It's not antisemitic or racist to question aspects of the holocaust: what is, however, is refusing to accept events for which there is documentation & eye-witness evidence.

I'm also not sure whether there being some Jews who (through cowardice, greed or simple stupidity) ratted on other Jews makes any kind of material difference to anything at all.  Use of the phrase "high-ranking Jews" is a bit of a strange one - like Mushroom I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to mean... what it does sound like to me is that it is being used as an intentional attempt to cast aspersions: as though, if it were true, it would allow people to point fingers and say "look, they brought it on themselves".

Now *that* would be antisemitic.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/09 at 6:50 am

Use of the phrase "high-ranking Jews" is a bit of a strange one - like Mushroom I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to mean... what it does sound like to me is that it is being used as an intentional attempt to cast aspersions: as though, if it were true, it would allow people to point fingers and say "look, they brought it on themselves".

I wonder if a High Ranking Jew gets to wear a special yarmulke, kinda like the Pope or Cardinals?

Written By: Macphisto on 07/26/09 at 10:05 am

Questioning the Holocaust is fine.  It is a very complicated issue that has a lot of potential for exploration.

Denying it is stupid, but it should be legal.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/27/09 at 2:23 am

Questioning the Holocaust is fine.  It is a very complicated issue that has a lot of potential for exploration.

Denying it is stupid, but it should be legal.

But since denying the Holocost is not "politically correct" to say, those that deny it ever happened now use the phrase "Questioning the Holocost".

Just look at the December 2006 conference in Iran, the "International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust".  Now that sounds nice, until you realize what the actual intent was, to deny it ever happened.

To me denying it ever happened or that some Jews perpetrated it is no different then denying the Jom Crow laws of the US, or the insane claims that some blacks "did better" then then they are now.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/27/09 at 5:37 pm

But since denying the Holocost is not "politically correct" to say, those that deny it ever happened now use the phrase "Questioning the Holocost".

Just look at the December 2006 conference in Iran, the "International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust".  Now that sounds nice, until you realize what the actual intent was, to deny it ever happened.

To me denying it ever happened or that some Jews perpetrated it is no different then denying the Jom Crow laws of the US, or the insane claims that some blacks "did better" then then they are now.

Good point.  Let me rephrase then.  Under that context, "questioning" the Holocaust is also stupid, but again, it should be legal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/09 at 8:12 pm

I wonder if a High Ranking Jew gets to wear a special yarmulke, kinda like the Pope or Cardinals?

They got to wear their own hair for a bit longer than the others before the commandant made it into a throw rug.

::)

Check for new replies or respond here...