» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Will there be a new Civil War in America?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/29/09 at 9:39 pm

Will there be a new Civil War in America? What does everyone here think?

Subject: Re: Will there be a new Civil War in America?

Written By: Macphisto on 07/29/09 at 10:45 pm

Probably not.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if we split into multiple countries via ratifications of secession.  Given our population growth, we will likely reach a critical mass at some point, where having so many people under one federal government will simply not be feasible for First World living.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/29/09 at 10:48 pm

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/3/31/Jesusland.GIF/290px-Jesusland.GIF

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/09 at 8:28 am

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/3/31/Jesusland.GIF/290px-Jesusland.GIF

A map of North America, as dreamt by Rush Limbaugh! Or the Republicans.

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/09 at 9:40 am

Probably not.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if we split into multiple countries via ratifications of secession.  Given our population growth, we will likely reach a critical mass at some point, where having so many people under one federal government will simply not be feasible for First World living.

Well, Red China and India are each 1Billion+ population and operate as single nations and everything is fine.

Hey I have an idea for the United States.  How about having each state to operate independently except for those powers granted to the Federal Givernment in the Constitution?  Think I saw a document like that somewhere, but the Federal givewrnment and courts lost their copies long ago.

Written By: Tia on 07/30/09 at 10:11 am

i think there's something like a "cold" civil war going on already. i sorta would like to split the country into two types of government, so that for instance the south doesn't want bailout money? fine. spend it in the north, cut taxes in the south and stop providing most federal assistance of any type. that's what they want anyway. the south doesn't want health care reform? fine. they don't get it, thery don't gen naxed for it and they can take their chances with the private insurers.

i just think the right and left aren't getting ANY common ground and it's time to let the cons govern themselves the way they want to. they'll be a third-world cesspool in no time.

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/30/09 at 1:34 pm

i think there's something like a "cold" civil war going on already. i sorta would like to split the country into two types of government, so that for instance the south doesn't want bailout money? fine. spend it in the north, cut taxes in the south and stop providing most federal assistance of any type. that's what they want anyway. the south doesn't want health care reform? fine. they don't get it, thery don't gen naxed for it and they can take their chances with the private insurers.

i just think the right and left aren't getting ANY common ground and it's time to let the cons govern themselves the way they want to. they'll be a third-world cesspool in no time.

In a way, I agree. There's no middle-ground here. It may happen in 2012...or something like that.

I wish there was a 'maybe' in there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/09 at 2:18 pm

Well, you gotta give me a time frame before I can answer the question.

In the next 10 years? Most likely not.
In the next 100 years? Too far ahead for anybody to say.

With an open time frame, I'd say their will be a time when the fabric of this country gets ripped apart by internal warfare.  Our republic is continuing to deteriorate.  I would say further that will probably not look like the American Civil War of the 1860s when several states decide to secede from the union.  It will probably start out as insurrections by the underclass, which is now being made permanent.  The National Guard will quickly put down initial insurrections, but if we continue to be balkinized by class oppression, our country will be too weakened, eventually, to resist. 

Written By: Tia on 07/30/09 at 3:27 pm

this question so interested me that i started a related poll on a political board i go to asking about it.

http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/political-parties-campaigns-elections/54885-time-have-2-governments-america.html

Written By: Macphisto on 07/30/09 at 6:37 pm

Well, Red China and India are each 1Billion+ population and operate as single nations and everything is fine.

That's why I said "First World living."  China and India might be industrializing but they definitely aren't First World.

Hey I have an idea for the United States.  How about having each state to operate independently except for those powers granted to the Federal Givernment in the Constitution?  Think I saw a document like that somewhere, but the Federal givewrnment and courts lost their copies long ago.

To a degree, I agree.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/31/09 at 10:23 am

It's a bit more difficult for states to secede from the Union.  They'd suffer because of lack of Federal funding.  Texas has been talking about being it's on Country, right up until Perry whined to Washington about needing money.  The best states can do that don't agree with the Federal government is yell and scream and vote.  As for another "Civil War", I'm still stuck on the first American Civil War. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/09 at 1:41 pm

I agree that there is a "cold" civil war going on. I'm not too sure if it is a North/South thing as it is a Right/Left thing. And it has to do with the scare tactics of groups-If these people get into power, they will take away your right to______. Ooh, socialize medicine is bad because it won't pay for a needed surgery but will pay for abortion. (WTF??) etc. etc. We are no longer the UNITED States-we now that that "US vs THEM" mindset and people distrust one another.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/02/09 at 2:08 pm

I agree that there is a "cold" civil war going on. I'm not too sure if it is a North/South thing as it is a Right/Left thing. And it has to do with the scare tactics of groups-If these people get into power, they will take away your right to______. Ooh, socialize medicine is bad because it won't pay for a needed surgery but will pay for abortion. (WTF??) etc. etc. We are no longer the UNITED States-we now that that "US vs THEM" mindset and people distrust one another.

Cat

Cat

I agree 100%. In 2003, many of us debated whether we should go to Iraq or not...well we did anyhow. Then we debated whether Bush should be tried or not...well he's still in Texas (IMO-He will be judged on the day he dies)!

And right now, if you even say something wrong about Obama...you're a racist! (And I really won't go into this).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/09 at 1:25 am

Atlas is going to Shrug, and when he does shrug, it'll turn out he don't know no "John Galt," and foidamowah, he don't care.  All the squawking Randroids are gonna get soughed off like so much human dandruff with the rest of us!

Check for new replies or respond here...