» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Kim-Jong Il gives Hillary Clinton an Atomic Wedgie

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/09 at 8:22 am

Well it seems that after last week's childish name calling between Hillary and the North Koreans, Kim Jong-Il got the last laugh.

CBS News reported this am that Bill Clinton's visit to North Korea, where the two "journalists" were let outta jail by the Koreans, was specifically requested by Kim Jong-Il.  (Prior news accounts had offered other accounts but this is the most recent)

My guess is that Kim did this to embarass Hillary, an "atomic wedgie" if you will, in her role as Secretary of State.

Subject: Re: Kim-Jong Il gives Hillary Clinton an Atomic Wedgie

Written By: Tia on 08/05/09 at 9:15 am

i think it's just easier to do this kind of diplomacy through ex-statesmen. it's why jimmy carter's had such luck at it. if i had to guess kim probably would rather have had the SecState come out, it would have given him more legitimacy.

and of course, if mccain had been elected, we'd probably be watching videos of these two women being executed right now, and the somali hostage crisis would be entering, what, its third month? i really appreciate how the obama admin has been wrapping these things up quickly and with a minimum of bloodshed. can't argue with success, and so far obama's batting a thousand where hostage crises are concerned.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/05/09 at 10:09 am

Exactly, and having Bubba for a guest did boost Kim a bit.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/09 at 11:11 am

i think it's just easier to do this kind of diplomacy through ex-statesmen. it's why jimmy carter's had such luck at it. if i had to guess kim probably would rather have had the SecState come out, it would have given him more legitimacy.

and of course, if mccain had been elected, we'd probably be watching videos of these two women being executed right now, and the somali hostage crisis would be entering, what, its third month? i really appreciate how the obama admin has been wrapping these things up quickly and with a minimum of bloodshed. can't argue with success, and so far obama's batting a thousand where hostage crises are concerned.

That's one thing to feel glad about, no President McCain!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/05/09 at 12:39 pm

I thought the headline on Fark said it best:

"Clinton picks up two asian chicks"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/09 at 1:08 pm

;D  that made me chuckle Chucky

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/09 at 1:24 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/09 at 4:55 pm

Heh heh...  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/05/09 at 8:48 pm

They are both behaving like kindergartners.  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/05/09 at 11:58 pm

Technically, we don't have diplomatic relations with North Korea.  Bill Clinton, much like Jimmah Cahtah, is just a private citizen.  If anything, they've got more free reign to accept an invite to chill with Chia Pimp than anyone in the Department of State.

In the absence of diplomatic relations between the two nations in question, it's actually more appropriate that a private citizen act as the go-between than a representative of the US government.  From Kim's point of view, he doesn't have to acknowledge the legitimacy of the Americans to his own subjects. From our point of view, we don't have to acknowledge his legitimacy as ruler of North Korea.  Neither nation is obliged to abide by anything agreed to during any discussions. 

Jimmy's problem was that he thought Kim was negotiating in good faith, compounded by the fact that they were negotiating something that had impications for proliferation.  In this case, the stakes are smaller, so why not let both sides save face -- once the two asian chicks hostages are in international airspace, it's mission accomplished.  Kim doesn't have to explain to the world why he's still holding them prisoner, and gets some free propaganda for domestic purposes.  Bill takes one for the team, knowing that nobody outside North Korea will think anything less of him for it, and the hostages are released unharmed.  For once, it's a win-win-win.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/09 at 11:37 am

It appears that Secretary Hillary Clinton is getting a bit testy over her role as Bill Clinton's wife, in the wake of his successful trip to North Korea.

It appears that a student attending a conference asked her what Bill thought of recent activity by China in the Congo.  She then got sort of rude in her response (I saw the tapes on TV last nite).

For somebody who is supposed to be the Lead Diplomat for the Unites States, wh did not use very good diplomacy with the student!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aWwxa4pFy3MI

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/09 at 9:04 pm

It appears that Secretary Hillary Clinton is getting a bit testy over her role as Bill Clinton's wife, in the wake of his successful trip to North Korea.

Testy?  More like testes, iffen you ask me!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/09 at 12:30 am

Testy?  More like testes, iffen you ask me!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Her reply to the student was nuts. ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/13/09 at 10:26 pm

Her reply to the student was nuts. ;)

O Verily?  I think she was just being egged on.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/09 at 6:59 am

O Verily?  I think she was just being egged on.

No, as I understand (correct me if I am wrong) she was simply asked that President Clinton thought of some issue.  (There are conflicting reports as to whether or not the question was mis-interpreted by the interpreter.)

But let's assume that the question was indeed interpreted correctly.

She should have gotten her point across to this college student diplomatically since she is a diplomat.  One way to deflect the question would have been to smile and say "Welll, you know, you'd have to ask the former President himself since I represent the current President".

Instead, she went off on a hissy fit which, by the way, was not uncharacteristic of her history of temperament.

Bottom line... she is supremely miffed that while she was shooting spitballs back and forth with the North Korean government, her husband was requested by Kil Jong Il and got those two adventurers released.  "PWNED", if you will, by the North Koreans.

My guess is that by the end of Obama's first term, Hillary will already have been long gone from her current position.  The Democrats have any number of leaders who are supremely more qualified, and of the right temperament, to lead the State Department than is Ms. Clinton.

Speaking of Bill, I wonder what he's up to while Hillary is out cruising The Congo ? ???  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...